PDA

View Full Version : Need everybody's opinion and thoughts please!

rippsu
Jun 16, 2014, 01:26 AM
Hope this is the right section.

Alright guys. So here is the thing, I'm Kinda fresh to this whole Laptop/PC thing and whats good and whats not. I enjoy playing Phantasy Star Online. In fact, I love it:-D

Generally Speaking, I run PSO2 at around 10-20 FPS (Maybe 30 depending on where i am and how many things are going on around me), And i plan on fixing this problem by buying a new laptop.( I move around a lot so I'm getting a Laptop.) I understand Processors somewhat and RAM but that's pretty much it. I would like to know what processor and ram and graphics card and what not is good enough to run PSO2 At about 20-40 FPS at about medium-high settings.

I need all of your guys' opinions, suggestions, thoughts, and help. Do you guys think these specs are capable of this? This is the computer i plan on buying as of right now:

Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Processor: 4th Generation IntelŽ Core™ i5-4200U Processor, (3M Cache,up to 2.60GHz) with IntelŽ Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Operating System: Windows 8.1

RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)

Hard Drive: 750GB HDD (Or a little less)

Video: 15.6" FHD TruBriteŽ LED Backlit Display (1920 x 1080) Video.(Graphics Card I'm assuming). If not i will make sure to get a decent one.

All at around $700 total.

Now, im only 16 years old, i don't make much money with a minimum wage job. Should i just wait and get a natural gaming laptop or is this okay for what i need?

ONE MORE THING! I want to know what you guys have and your gaming experience while playing PSO2 as far as Frame rate goes. That is all. Thanks guys!:-D:-D:-D

Renvalt
Jun 16, 2014, 01:32 AM
Wrong section, broski. You'll wanna take this over to the Tech Support section. They've got a place in there for that kinda stuff.

Also, to save face, don't replicate or delete/repost. Just wait for the mods to move it there/merge it with the appropriate thread (whatever they believe the best course of action).

Chik'Tikka
Jun 16, 2014, 03:15 AM
where you said Video, you really just shared the Monitor's specs, if that laptop doesn't say Nvidia or AMD Radeon in it's specs, it'll be using the CPU for video, which is bad+^_^+ if you going to get a laptop make sure it has a Dedicated GPU that has at least 1gb of it's own Video ram, with that I'm going to assume your budget is around $700?? if so here's an Acer on newegg that should run PSO2 at max settings and 40-60 FPS without issues:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314384

keep in mind you can do better if you do your research, just make sure to search for Dedicated video graphics processor unit in the specs that has it's own RAM, and doesn't share RAM with the main CPU+^_^+

Aeris
Jun 16, 2014, 04:05 AM
Wrong section, broski. You'll wanna take this over to the Tech Support section. They've got a place in there for that kinda stuff.

Also, to save face, don't replicate or delete/repost. Just wait for the mods to move it there/merge it with the appropriate thread (whatever they believe the best course of action).

I've seen several people post info of what computer they want to buy for PSO2 and other games here and usually never got moved there since thats usually people that has issues with the game and such.

OP @ I i see computer specs but do you have a link of where you're purchasing it from so we can see the full specs and info about it?

Lumpen Thingy
Jun 16, 2014, 05:05 AM
for $700 you can make a desk top that would rock ass for PSO2 as well as most games

musicmf
Jun 16, 2014, 05:08 AM
You don't want to use your current Laptop for moving around and being productive, while you use a desktop (cheaper and more powerful then laptop) when you want to play PSO2 instead? [Or buy a PSVita + PSO2Vita]
But if you do need the new laptop; generally dedicated graphics are better than integrated. Also "u" processors IIRC are underclocked to give better battery life and less heat, so this may also limit your ability to get higher frame rates a bit.

Processor: 4th Generation IntelŽ Core™ i5-4200U Processor, (3M Cache,up to 2.60GHz) with IntelŽ Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
RAM: 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GB + 4GB)

But to look at your choice...
That's pretty much the most important things we need to determine how good the laptop will be.
Since it's running a 4200u Processor with no indication of a dedicated graphics card; this probably means its running an integrated HD Graphics 4400.

Now, I don't know low/mid-end stuff that well, but I believe the Microsoft Surface Pro (1st gen) has a similar processor/integrated graphics card. (i5-3317U w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 )
Here's a video of that running PSO2 in the lobby at 1080p 30fps. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl5sS1nQBA)
Talked about more in this thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219093); specifically post #9

Since that person said Med-High without lag, even in TD; it seems like a laptop that is close in specs (the one you selected) might do just fine too.
The only thing that puts me off a bit with the Surface Pro video is the 20 second load time. That's why when I do decide to update my craptop, I'll probably aim for something a bit higher like the Surface Pro 2 (Only had like 4~ second load time). [I'm not pushing the Surface Pro, it's just that there are videos of them playing PSO2 so they are pretty good examples]

Otherwise, pick apart some more answers from other (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219738) threads (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218781) which ask for laptop advice, generally the same information will apply to whatever you need to. (Discrete > Integrated, etc.)

ONE MORE THING! I want to know what you guys have and your gaming experience while playing PSO2 as far as Frame rate goes. That is all. Thanks guys!
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3145095&postcount=23
Desktop is buttery smooth with max graphics. (Never tweaked my PSO2 graphics with SweetFX or any GPU Programs)
Laptop runs at a constant 30+ frame rate as well (or at least it feels like it; I never checked), but I'm running minimum graphics and load times are atrocious compared to my desktop so I get annoyed when I dual-client to run two characters through Time attacks at once.

============

Good luck on your search, maybe others will post specific models, or give you specific minimum specs to consider.