PDA

View Full Version : Pure Sword Hunter

kurokyosuke
Jun 18, 2014, 04:08 PM
So I was thinking of making a sort-of joke Hunter that uses only swords. Since the costume for the Vocaloid character, Megurine Luka, is coming out, I decided that I would make a Luka character, with her only weapon being the Space Tuna.

That being said, how does this skill tree look?
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKcAeDInfcFfGAl2000007b000000lb000000lb000009 b0000000Ib0000000ebqBGFIkJkIk00000j
The APT/DEX is for the fact that the Tuna will be crafted as I level. Unless just going pure S-ATK anyway is a better choice?

Kondibon
Jun 18, 2014, 04:15 PM
I think you'd be better off using a Support Partner for this...

kurokyosuke
Jun 18, 2014, 04:29 PM
Guess that means I'm rolling with whatever then, if people are going to hate on it just because it's not an optimal build/setup.

... Though it was only one person that posted so far...

Gamemako
Jun 18, 2014, 05:26 PM
So I was thinking of making a sort-of joke Hunter that uses only swords. Since the costume for the Vocaloid character, Megurine Luka, is coming out, I decided that I would make a Luka character, with her only weapon being the Space Tuna.

That being said, how does this skill tree look?
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKcAeDInfcFfGAl2000007b000000lb000000lb000009 b0000000Ib0000000ebqBGFIkJkIk00000j
The APT/DEX is for the fact that the Tuna will be crafted as I level. Unless just going pure S-ATK anyway is a better choice?

Yeah, you're fine going HUBR with DEX. Will be only about 140 S-ATK behind pure build with Elysion, actually. Main problems are that Space Tuna has a rubbish potential (a boost to a PA you'll never use), and that swords are a bit underpowered generally.

For build specifics, you might consider dropping the S-ATK Up and some Average Stance Critical in favor of Weak Stance + Weak Stance Up, which will give you more damage against bosses with easily-accessed weak spots to exploit with Over End or the like (e.g. Vibras). You don't need the S-ATK Up for equipping anything because the highest extend level right now requires 600 S-ATK, and Braver Mag counts toward that (you will have 666). I would also avoid blowing points on +DEX, since I don't think you're getting a whole lot of return on the +40 DEX there. Might as well dump them into Step Advance and make it easier to avoid attacks. If you really can't be arsed to swap stances, then max all relevant skills except DEX bonus. For the HU tree, I would recommend getting Automate Halfline. Wouldn't bother with Iron Will unless you already have Automate Halfline.

Kondibon
Jun 18, 2014, 05:31 PM
Guess that means I'm rolling with whatever then, if people are going to hate on it just because it's not an optimal build/setup.

... Though it was only one person that posted so far...I'm not hating on it because of the build, it just seems like the kind of thing that would get boring pretty fast to actually PLAY, and since the build isn't actually important to this, just the weapon and character appearance, I don't see why I can't be used for a support partner.

kurokyosuke
Jun 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
I'm not hating on it because of the build, it just seems like the kind of thing that would get boring pretty fast to actually PLAY, and since the build isn't actually important to this, just the weapon and character appearance, I don't see why I can't be used for a support partner.

Hey, everyone's different.

Kondibon
Jun 18, 2014, 06:38 PM
Hey, everyone's different.
Well if you're willing to commit then that's probably the most you're gonna get out of it.

EDIT: Crafted tuna uses s-atk requirement though.

kurokyosuke
Jun 18, 2014, 06:45 PM
For build specifics, you might consider dropping the S-ATK Up and some Average Stance Critical in favor of Weak Stance + Weak Stance Up, which will give you more damage against bosses with easily-accessed weak spots to exploit with Over End or the like (e.g. Vibras). You don't need the S-ATK Up for equipping anything because the highest extend level right now requires 600 S-ATK, and Braver Mag counts toward that (you will have 666). I would also avoid blowing points on +DEX, since I don't think you're getting a whole lot of return on the +40 DEX there. Might as well dump them into Step Advance and make it easier to avoid attacks. If you really can't be arsed to swap stances, then max all relevant skills except DEX bonus.
I very much plan on using charge PAs (hence the Fury Gear Boost), and I can't really get both AS Charge and WS Charge without sacrificing Just Reversal Cover... Actually, that's not really a problem. Critical definitely becomes impossible, though.

For the HU tree, I would recommend getting Automate Halfline. Wouldn't bother with Iron Will unless you already have Automate Halfline.
Automate Halfline is also impossible to max out as long as I have Fury Gear Boost and Just Counter, hence my decision to go with Iron Will. Plus, War Cry comes in handy sometimes outside of the Mining Base quests.

EDIT: Crafted tuna uses s-atk requirement though.
Isn't that what he said?

Kondibon
Jun 18, 2014, 06:49 PM
I very much plan on using charge PAs (hence the Fury Gear Boost), and I can't really get both AS Charge and WS Charge without sacrificing Just Reversal Cover... Actually, that's not really a problem. Critical definitely becomes impossible, though.Crits aren't worth getting, especially with all your dex, but sword gear is good for every sword PA, so there's nothing wrong with getting fury gear boost.

You can probably live without just reversal cover, but that's up to you if you think you'll need it.

Isn't that what he said?
Yeah, I'm just kinda out of it. Sorry.

Lumpen Thingy
Jun 18, 2014, 09:10 PM
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07gBbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKsNdqInfCAfGAIbib000006ebJbGAcnqsmnfGD00000I b000000lb000009b0000000Ib0000000ebqBGFIkJkIk00000j if you want to use swords and nothing else then here. Braver is a shit sub if you aren't using a katana so idk why you would do that lol

kurokyosuke
Jun 18, 2014, 10:08 PM
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07gBbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKsNdqInfCAfGAIbib000006ebJbGAcnqsmnfGD00000I b000000lb000009b0000000Ib0000000ebqBGFIkJkIk00000j if you want to use swords and nothing else then here. Braver is a shit sub if you aren't using a katana so idk why you would do that lol

For Stance Charge, duh? Did you miss the part where I said I'd be using Sword charge PAs? It's the whole reason I wanted Fury Gear Boost maxed in the first place, which you seem to have reduced to Lv1. Plus, I hate Fighter. Unless I'm attacking weak points (Oh hey! Weak Stance!), positioning myself to deal maximum damage is stupid. And what am I supposed to do about my lack of DEX due to crafting the Tunas? Because making a pure DEX Mag is stupid UNLESS you use Braver as a main or sub.
Your post almost feels like a troll post, honestly.

Gamemako
Jun 19, 2014, 06:56 AM
For Stance Charge, duh? Did you miss the part where I said I'd be using Sword charge PAs? It's the whole reason I wanted Fury Gear Boost maxed in the first place, which you seem to have reduced to Lv1. Plus, I hate Fighter. Unless I'm attacking weak points (Oh hey! Weak Stance!), positioning myself to deal maximum damage is stupid. And what am I supposed to do about my lack of DEX due to crafting the Tunas? Because making a pure DEX Mag is stupid UNLESS you use Braver as a main or sub.
Your post almost feels like a troll post, honestly.

From an optimal efficacy standpoint, he's right. Brave Stance and Wise Stance add up to 44% and 69% multipliers, respectively. Average Stance with charge caps at 33%, and most uncharged hits only get 21% (where most of your attacks will be uncharged). Additionally, you can push crit build to further address DEX gap with a bonus 15% crit modifier. BR only gets +87 S-ATK and R-ATK from Braver Mag, something that can be made up with FI's many in-tree S-ATK bonuses and higher natural S-ATK (+7 after sub reduction). If you check his build, he put too much into S-ATK bonuses in FI tree (waste when req caps at 600), but he still has higher S-ATK than can be achieved with a BR/HU and DEX mag.

The only real reason I don't recommend subbing FI is the horrible, painful need to swap Brave and Wise stances where it's not even possible to swap quickly at this time. War Cry can help with that sometimes, but he didn't even spec it. Some opponents are exceedingly obnoxious to fight with Brave/Wise as well (e.g. Falz, Quartz Dragon, Chrome Dragon, etc). If you don't mind that or will just eat the damage penalty and sit on Brave Stance, you can do just as well.

//EDIT: Hrm, does anyone know the expected damage range for endgame non-rare/crafted weapons? I'm wondering if you might make a novelty crit build instead, roll S-ATK mag and standard build and use +15% damage crits with 15%, 20%, and 20% boosts to produce an effective build. ~50% chance to get 115% of max damage should pretty well dilute other penalties -- enough that being comparable to a non-crit build at 95% average damage range requires only 50% minimum damage.

//EDIT 2: Herp derp, that requires FI/HU, not HU/FI. Just kidding!

kurokyosuke
Jun 19, 2014, 11:09 AM
The only real reason I don't recommend subbing FI is the horrible, painful need to swap Brave and Wise stances where it's not even possible to swap quickly at this time. War Cry can help with that sometimes, but he didn't even spec it. Some opponents are exceedingly obnoxious to fight with Brave/Wise as well (e.g. Falz, Quartz Dragon, Chrome Dragon, etc). If you don't mind that or will just eat the damage penalty and sit on Brave Stance, you can do just as well.

That's the whole reason why I never went with Fighter on my main character, either. I'd rather focus entirely on getting all of my attacks in rather than worrying about constant positioning/stance swapping, even if it means sacrificing some damage percentages. I'm by no means a min-maxer, so I don't care all that much about maximizing my damage potential. I'm a mix between casual and hardcore, in that I'll play for fun in different ways that I find entertaining, but at the same time, I'll work towards getting the most out of my character without altering my playstyle.

All I was really trying to ask was whether or not the build I came up with worked or not, and thanks to your advice, I tweaked the original build a little bit to fit my tastes. I actually have a few questions and comments regarding the new tree:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKsNdqInfsNfGAl2000007b000000lb000000lb000009 b0000000Ib0000000ebIo4SfmxIkJIHn00000

1. What kind of advantages would there be in maxing out Fury Gear Boost, if any?
2. Depending on the answer for 1, would it be better to put only one point in Fury Gear Boost, and put the remaining points in something else?
3. I said this already, but as long as I can't get Automate Halfline maxed without sacrificing Just Counter and Fury Gear Boost, I'm not touching it. I may as well be getting Iron Will instead if it doesn't have a 100% chance of working.
4. This would apply even if I was making a serious alt, but I'll only be using this character for extra TAs, an extra Elder run, and just plain fooling around. Should I really just be focusing on increasing my damage potential, or is survivability also viable? (i.e. Fury S Up 2 vs. Iron Will)

Gamemako
Jun 19, 2014, 02:47 PM
That's the whole reason why I never went with Fighter on my main character, either. I'd rather focus entirely on getting all of my attacks in rather than worrying about constant positioning/stance swapping, even if it means sacrificing some damage percentages. I'm by no means a min-maxer, so I don't care all that much about maximizing my damage potential. I'm a mix between casual and hardcore, in that I'll play for fun in different ways that I find entertaining, but at the same time, I'll work towards getting the most out of my character without altering my playstyle.

All I was really trying to ask was whether or not the build I came up with worked or not, and thanks to your advice, I tweaked the original build a little bit to fit my tastes. I actually have a few questions and comments regarding the new tree:
http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGKsNdqInfsNfGAl2000007b000000lb000000lb000009 b0000000Ib0000000ebIo4SfmxIkJIHn00000

1. What kind of advantages would there be in maxing out Fury Gear Boost, if any?
2. Depending on the answer for 1, would it be better to put only one point in Fury Gear Boost, and put the remaining points in something else?
3. I said this already, but as long as I can't get Automate Halfline maxed without sacrificing Just Counter and Fury Gear Boost, I'm not touching it. I may as well be getting Iron Will instead if it doesn't have a 100% chance of working.
4. This would apply even if I was making a serious alt, but I'll only be using this character for extra TAs, an extra Elder run, and just plain fooling around. Should I really just be focusing on increasing my damage potential, or is survivability also viable? (i.e. Fury S Up 2 vs. Iron Will)

Wise Stance is like Weak Stance: you'll use it rarely against certain opponents or situations. You can't really swap stances at will. Wise Stance is mainly useful for Falz Elder, Dark Vibras, TD runs where enemies ignore you, and other odds and ends. Main problem shows up against enemies like Quartz Dragon, who run all over the damn place just to piss you off.

I personally wouldn't bother with Weak Stance Charge. It's 13 points for a boost to damage in an uncommon stance with only charged attacks. Since you'll want to bash weak points with high-DPS abilities, you won't be using charged PAs with Weak Stance much anyway (except maybe Luther's clock, I guess). Just better off boosting damage generally with S-ATK Up if you really want. 2% in all cases is better than 10% boost to rare attacks in one stance.

To your specific questions,

1. Faster gear building on swords, which can be slow and obnoxious about that already. One point is very good to have if you're going with HU main. The 4 more... optional.

2. Unless something is extremely overpowered, whether you put points into it is situational. Since you're planning to use only one weapon, the only thing cutting into your gear reserve is being out of combat, so I don't think it's too necessary to have all points. If you take Automate Halfline (which takes 17 points), you have about 8 points to play with after taking essentials (Fury Stance, Fury Stance Up 1, Fury Stance Combo, Just Counter, plus 1 point each in Fury Gear Boost and War Cry). You can always just take that essential build (http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGDbnkdIscAcAfGAlb000007b000000lb000000lb00000 9b0000000Ib0000000ebkb4SIkmxIkJ00000i) and decide later if you feel your gear needs more boost or you would rather just pump more damage.

3. There's plenty of room for Automate Halfline and Fury Stance Gear. Your main issue is really that you can't afford both Automate Halfline and Fury Stance Up 2 (while pure HU sub can, because HU is a better sub than main). If you want to do the same as above, you could apply 10 wiggle points to this build (http://pso2-skill.pwnedgalaxy.net/skillcalc.php?07wObsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIkbsIk6dt7 bkIqBGDrAdDInfJiGAlb000007b000000lb000000lb000009b 0000000Ib0000000ebkb4SIkmxIkJ00000i).

4. Durability builds are generally not considered viable in that striking damage is cut in half or worse by selecting a non-offensive build. HU/TE is a terribly funny setup with a few nice perks (namely, being nearly indestructible), but compared to FI/HU or BR/HU, you're taking 3-4 times as long to kill anything. Yes, it's that bad -- this is why people talk about how badly skill trees need a complete rebalance. You can at least go Guard Stance FO/HU without too much pure damage loss, but you also lose TE utility and just don't do the amount of damage desired for present content (Falz Arm HP pools, quicker TD kills, etc). The reason Automate Halfline is used is because it's reliable (100% chance), powerful (60% or 90% recovery as long as you don't have monomates in your inventory), doesn't need you to recover to proc (will refill your HP as you are being juggled), and saves DPS time when you do get hit. In terms of risk reduction, it alone is good enough for most players.

(Also, now that I think about it, you're using an extended weapon anyway, so you could easily add FI to it and go FI/HU anyway for the crit BIG NUMBARZ setup. Kinda beside the point, though.)