PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 JP Servers coming back in June.

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 10:25 AM
With the wonderful updates that have came out everyday, except for the weekends, have all been pretty grim. The next one just says to wait for the next one without any real news. However last night(early morning for everywhere non US) two things happened. One the maintenance went without any problems to the JP official site. The second and much bigger of the two, PSO2 JP servers will be out "within June". This is pretty ominous still. But the way I see it, there is two possible dates they will do it, and it HAS to be one of those dates. Provided the attackers don't step up and attack again. But they said the next update would be June 27th at 14:00 (JST- 01:00 for EST). But if they don't get the servers running on that update, then there is only one other day it could be, Monday. I have a feeling like if it doesn't come up Friday, it will be pushed back to Monday like last week. Where all updates were stopped over the weekend.

Update: The attacks from the Ddos are slowing down. They are preparing on reinstating PSO2. We still have the vague date of "June". The good news is the next update is tomorrow [June 28th 19:00 JST (02:00 PDT and 05:00 EST)]. That shows that they are buckling down and going to work on it over this weekend. So that adds a possible of three more days it could potentially be reinstated.

Source (http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=3846)

Source #2 (https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/482388435999526913)

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 10:30 AM
The fact they don't work on weekends is laughable.

How can you run a MMO and not work on weekends?

lunarsoul
Jun 26, 2014, 10:34 AM
Your MMO is having a crisis and you guys are having a week long lunch break... cmon SEGA! Probably just finding a way to blame this on gaijins again.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 10:36 AM

http://i.imgur.com/qsIlz5A.gif?1

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 10:37 AM

I honestly said the same thing last week. But someone posted something on the Bumped chat box that made me think differently about the situation.

There is the offline PSO2 event going on in Japan. I'm sure most of their resources are going towards that for the weekend. They get a ton of money there, probably more than a few weeks of normal PSO2 with AC.

However I still think they should have the IT team stay behind and do what they get paid for instead of going to the party too. Unless they were very, very desperate for help. But that should be a place for PR anyway.

pkemr4
Jun 26, 2014, 10:39 AM

you havent play mmos by OGplanet have you?

Dnd
Jun 26, 2014, 10:50 AM

Your MMO is having a crisis and you guys are having a week long lunch break... cmon SEGA! Probably just finding a way to blame this on gaijins again.

Well, I imagine they have been working pretty solidly on this and not taking a break, any day the server is down is bleeding possible income from the game so they would be stupid to not get it up asap. but the nature of DDoS attacks makes it hard from their end to do it quickly.

In addition, they probably have alot of backroom guys working on the server both last and this weekend coming up, with the 'main' staff focused on the offline events in the meantime. Just because you aren't told everything they are doing doesn't mean they aren't doing anything >>;

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/qsIlz5A.gif?1[/SPOILER-BOX]
Stealing this gif, thanks <3

Xaelouse
Jun 26, 2014, 10:57 AM
will we be getting the new scratch the moment they do come up or would we have to wait until next wednesday or something? TD3 is supposed to come a week after the next...

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 10:59 AM
will we be getting the new scratch the moment they do come up or would we have to wait until next wednesday or something? TD3 is supposed to come a week after the next...

I wouldn't expect things to come out right when the servers go back up. They are a week behind updates, at best. So just imagine everything that is supposed to come out, push it back a week for a general idea of the new release date.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:04 AM

3 things

1. Most don't work on weekends regardless, they have automation and the odd person singing in.

2. This is not a MMO stop calling this game that, MMOs are a shit genre with people who make block 20 look like saints.

3. :E

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 11:07 AM
3 things
This is not a MMO stop calling this game that, MMOs are a shit genre with people who make block 20 look like saints.

Then what would the game be classified as? If you are going to have a rebuttal at least provide more information.

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 11:14 AM

Can't say I've ever played a MMO by some obscure company I've ever heard of in my entire life. Never will, either.

3 things

1. Most don't work on weekends regardless, they have automation and the odd person singing in.

2. This is not a MMO stop calling this game that, MMOs are a shit genre with people who make block 20 look like saints.

3. :E

How to play WOW:
Sit in major city(lobby), enter dungeons from said city(lobby), kill things inside dungeon, collect loot, repeat.

How to play FF14:
Sit in major city(lobby), enter dungeons from said city(lobby), kill things inside dungeon, collect loot, repeat.

How to play Tera:

How to play rift:

How to play PSO2:

Seems like a MMO to me.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:15 AM
Then what would the game be classified as? If you are going to have a rebuttal at least provide more information.

MMO's key word is MASSIVELY.
No where is this game massive outside of the lobbies where people generally fap about. In the actually game play ay most you will have is 11 other people with you and most of the time you have 3 others with you, is that massive? No one of the key criteria for MMO is you play in expansive zone with hundreds of people exploring. This game is a instanced co-op mult iplayer game, which can allow for much smarter mechanics and designs than the standard MMO will get. (Wildstar looking like a disco,wow having keep out of da fiah)

Too much people are throwing that word around too lightly. We need a hard definition because this game in no way behaves like a MMO.

Alenoir
Jun 26, 2014, 11:23 AM
[spoiler-box]How to play WOW:

How to play FF14:

How to play Tera:

How to play rift:

How to play PSO2:

Seems like a MMO to me.[/spoiler-box]
The difference?

Open field where the entire server can go flood it when a GM summons some top class boss vs actual fighting field limited to a max of 12 people.

PSO2 is classified as MORPG by most Japanese players.

Ezodagrom
Jun 26, 2014, 11:26 AM
Then what would the game be classified as?
Online Action RPG, or even Co-op Online Action RPG?

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 11:27 AM
No where is this game massive outside of the lobbies where people generally fap about. In the actually game play ay most you will have is 11 other people with you and most of the time you have 3 others with you, is that massive? No one of the key criteria for MMO is you play in expansive zone with hundreds of people exploring. This game is a instanced co-op mult iplayer game, which can allow for much smarter mechanics and designs than the standard MMO will get. (Wildstar looking like a disco,wow having keep out of da fiah)

Too much people are throwing that word around too lightly. We need a hard definition because this game in no way behaves like a MMO.

Have you ever played a MMO created after 2005?

Either way, thanks for the random derail for no reason I guess.

I think servers won't be up by june and they'll say "Will resume service in july" :(
Hopefully I'm wrong, I'd like to play.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:31 AM
Have you ever played a MMO created after 2005?

Any of them that is instanced based and does not have masive wide open areas where I can see over 20 people interacting with the environment I won't call a MMO either. Those two I'd take shots at. Now Tera, that shit is MASSVIE I can call that a MMO, Kutst I mean Wildstar I seen many mooks running around that's a fucking MMO. A disco filled MMO but a MMO all the same.

Noc Codez
Jun 26, 2014, 11:34 AM
It's a Dungeon crawler guys..

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:39 AM
it's a bad game

MoonlightMyau
Jun 26, 2014, 11:40 AM
I'm in agreement with ShinMaruku, it's an "online rpg" not an MMO & thank goodness. If I'm not mistaken Sega even advertises it as an "online rpg".

I'd be very surprised if they managed to get the servers back up before the end of June, hoping though.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:41 AM
Online Action RPG, or even Co-op Online Action RPG?

Exactly.

People are tossing words they hear and not think about far too loose. Let's keep standards people.

Yden
Jun 26, 2014, 11:44 AM

Nexon is the same way with no weekend staff.

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 11:48 AM

Yea that makes sense. I wasn't trying to pick sides or anything. I was just curious. And I assumed it was massive because there was many of blocks full and what not. However, I can see you point that inside the quests it's rather limited. But that can be up for debate though. Unless there is something that says for massive to take place there has to be everyone running around and killing stuff all together. If you can't then it's very possible to debate it being an MMO.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 11:48 AM
Weekend staff is generally automation for most games.

Gama
Jun 26, 2014, 11:54 AM
online rpg.

pso2 is pretty much the only online game i know that dosen't make me feel sleepy.

Skyly
Jun 26, 2014, 12:02 PM
There was this same discussion for PSU. This is a MMO. Just cause there isn't a billion people on one area doesn't take away from the fact that all PSO games are MMOs. 2 million unique IDs. MPAs.. Lobbies. Etc

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 12:07 PM
If there is no billion people in a area it's not a MMO. It's a online co-op rpg. 2 million unique ids? Ha DFO has 300 million of that and it's not a MMO. Stop diluting the worth of that word.

Gama
Jun 26, 2014, 12:09 PM
as if they could reach those numbers with japanese folk alone... :p

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 12:19 PM
If there is no billion people in a area it's not a MMO. It's a online co-op rpg. 2 million unique ids? Ha DFO has 300 million of that and it's not a MMO. Stop diluting the worth of that word.

Ok, you have never played a MMO released after 2005 or something.

Every single MMO is 8-25 man raids.

Hell, FF14 is 8 man raids, which is less than a full MPA and it's a MMO.

99% of your time spent inside of any recent MMO is spent inside dungeons with a limited amount of people. They aren't massive anymore either.

If FF14 is a MMO, PSO2 is a MMO.

The Walrus
Jun 26, 2014, 12:21 PM
It's a multiplayer online action rpg, not an MMO.

SakoHaruo
Jun 26, 2014, 12:22 PM
online rpg.

pso2 is pretty much the only online game i know that dosen't make me feel sleepy.

Falz Hands make me go ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :sleep:

Luther's bag of Doritos has that same affect on me as well.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 12:25 PM

Hell, FF14 is 4-8 man raids, which is less than a full MPA and it's a MMO.

99% of your time spent inside of any recent MMO is spent inside dungeons with a limited amount of people. They aren't massive anymore either.

Raids are generally played by the minority.
If I raid I am the minority most people do the other social things in MMOs. NEVER base a game off just one activity, look on the whole.

PSO is no MMO classify it properly. Does every thing need to be in the same box? It does not.

I think people are far more amenable to co-op smaller scaled focused encounters than the large cluster fucks.

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 12:27 PM

Hell, FF14 is 8 man raids, which is less than a full MPA and it's a MMO.

Multi-Massive Online Game. It's been getting bashed big time by wanna-be games. I wanna see low-res characters so i dont have to whine about having a shitty PC, but be able to play with 100 person groups.

Buut thats off topic isnt it? xP
Hopefully the servs get up soon, but i believe they wont be till next week. as todays thursday if they go up friday they'll be DDOS'd for the weekend.

It's called "waiting to strike" and Sega would blindly let their guard down. lets face it.

n_n
Jun 26, 2014, 01:13 PM
It's a multiplayer online action rpg, not an MMO.
Correct. A game limited to 4p party and 12p mpa can't in any way be labled as an MMO. It doesn't fit the 'massive' part.

Skyly
Jun 26, 2014, 01:27 PM
Just cause you're not in the in a party with a massive amount of players does not exclude this game from being labeled a MMO. It has all the features any other MMO has so it's a MMO. Now you guys are talking semantics based on the word 'massive' lol

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 01:30 PM
Semantics is everything. There are strict rules in classification if one trait is failed it's disqualified. It's no MMO.

Tes
Jun 26, 2014, 01:31 PM
Will Episode 3 add much in the way of end game content? Most people I know who are level 70 say it's pretty boring. TACOs or EQ's. That does seem very dull to me as I never run TACOs 'cos they're dull.

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 01:31 PM
Correct. A game limited to 4p party and 12p mpa can't in any way be labled as an MMO. It doesn't fit the 'massive' part.

FF14 is limited to 4-8 man parties. It's a MMO.

Crystal tower is the only content that's more than 8 people, but it's simply 3 8 man raids formed as one, and only a single dungeon.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 01:33 PM
FF14 is limited to 4-8 man parties. It's a MMO.

Crystal tower is the only content that's more than 8 people, but it's simply 3 8 man raids formed as one, and only a single dungeon.

Raids and dungeons are small parts of those games. In the open world you can see hundreds of people. Aside from the lobby you never see more than 12 in PSO2. It ain't a MMO.

Macman
Jun 26, 2014, 01:33 PM
People just think "Oh, I'm playing over the internet and grinding excessively for levels so it's an MMO" without thinking what MMORPG actually stands for.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 01:34 PM
People just think "Oh, I'm playing over the internet and grinding excessively for levels so it's an MMO" without thinking what MMORPG actually stands for.

And I will keep reminding them that's not what MMO means. :P

Shiyo
Jun 26, 2014, 01:39 PM
Raids and dungeons are small parts of those games. In the open world you can see hundreds of people. Aside from the lobby you never see more than 12 in PSO2. It ain't a MMO.

No, they are literally the entire game. Pretty much every MMO besides GW2 that has released in the past decade has been 90% dungeon/instance based.

You barely see ANYONE in the outside world in MMO's anymore, mainly just tons of people in the lobby idling/LFGing - just like PSO2.

Please just stop, you have obviously not played a MMO in the past decade.

Skyly
Jun 26, 2014, 01:39 PM

For that specific reason it's not a MMO? That's absurdly retarded. But as soon as you exit lobby you see a massive amount of people spread all throughout the lobbies and ships.

pkemr4
Jun 26, 2014, 01:40 PM
who gives a fuck if its a mmorpg, mmo, action rpg or what not.

HIT0SHI
Jun 26, 2014, 01:41 PM
who gives a fuck if its a mmorpg, mmo, action rpg or what not.

PSOW apparently. :-?

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 01:41 PM
MMOs are shit games. PSO2 just has shit management. :P

btw-Niji
Jun 26, 2014, 01:42 PM
Please just stop
You need to tell yourself that.

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 03:22 PM
Alright this thread got hijacked. It's official.

Galax
Jun 26, 2014, 03:47 PM
MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online. Direct, "dictionary" definition:

"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ."

PSO2 is an MMO. Get over it.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 03:50 PM
PSO2 has no persistent world. It never supports large numbers of players simultaniuisly in the main activities in the game. Hell the lobies are a series of instances. It's not a MMO get over it.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 03:52 PM
...What were we talking about before?

... ...Oh yeah. Yaay PSO2 might finally come back up tomorrow or mondaaaaaaayyy..

Evangelion X.XX
Jun 26, 2014, 03:58 PM
"Might".... is such a heavy word.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 04:05 PM
It is....there's still that possibility it might slide into July anyway

Evangelion X.XX
Jun 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
...yes...

Galax
Jun 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
PSO2 has no persistent world. It never supports large numbers of players simultaniuisly in the main activities in the game. Hell the lobies are a series of instances. It's not a MMO get over it.

1) "Capable of", not "does". Thus whether or not it does is irrelevant.

2) "Usually has", not "guaranteed to have". Thus whether or not it includes even a single persistent world is irrelevant. Though as an aside, it technically has Naberius, Amduscia, Lillipa, and Vopar right now. These places do not vanish, and as such could be defined as "persistent worlds".

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 04:14 PM
This is getting as outlandish as people calling warframe a MMO...

Oethe
Jun 26, 2014, 04:15 PM
MMO - Massively Multiplayer Online. Direct, "dictionary" definition:

"A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ."

PSO2 is an MMO. Get over it.

First off re-read the definition (I can not believe I made an account to just respond to this.), It does support a large number of players simultaneously, what do you call the ships and lobbies? No where in the definition does it exclude those. After all it goes on to say "... at least one persistent world ..." Well each ship is persistent and you could go further and say the lobbies are as well. Concluding no where in this definition does it say instanced missions/dungeons are excluded from the definition of an MMO.

I do not see why it is hard to comprehend what Massively Multiplayer Online stands for. Even if this definition was excluding the current trend of MMOs definitions have been know to change and evolve to incorporate more over the ages, genres are no different.

Mattykins
Jun 26, 2014, 05:37 PM
This thread got very autistic very fast...

the_importer_
Jun 26, 2014, 05:52 PM
People are still debating this? I said it 10 years ago and I'll say it again, media genres have never been defined like animals or plant species. The video game industry never sat down and listed what it takes to be a certain genre. Until the rules have been established, it's easier to say what a game isn't than what it is. PSO2 may or may not be an MMO, but we know it's not a football game.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 26, 2014, 05:53 PM
but it is a football game

Sandmind
Jun 26, 2014, 06:01 PM
but it is a football game

When soccer lobby get implemented it shall be indeed.

Only readed the last page...

I ...

.... bah, I don't care enough to had more fuel to the fire.

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 06:27 PM
Starcraft is an MMO, it supports thousands of players connecting to the chat lobbies simultaneously, and Big Game Hunters is a persisting world. You don't think one of the most popular online games ever made counts as massively multiplayer?

Super Mario 3D world is an MMO, everyone who owns a copy can play the game simultaneously with interactive online features, and of course the overworld and individual levels persist even if you shut off your console.

Sychosis
Jun 26, 2014, 06:54 PM
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF020-Skub.gif

holmwood
Jun 26, 2014, 07:00 PM
Multiplayer =2-4 players (example: console game multiplayer mode)
Massively Multiplayer = 4+ people (example: falz run)

While I understand the need to distinguish our community from the communities of other mmos, I don't think genre has much to do with it. S4 league and Warframe both are acrobatic TPS shiznits, but the community in warframe is far more mature and welcoming. ^^;

Dephinix
Jun 26, 2014, 07:08 PM
Somebody needs a snickers, maybe they left to get one already.

Daixsue
Jun 26, 2014, 07:30 PM

Laaaaahhhhh

taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 07:35 PM
I don't want to remember Rumble Fighter.

God, it had a bad community back then

Imagining it now is painful

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 07:46 PM
This thread got very autistic very fast...

That's another over used word. :P

Asellus
Jun 26, 2014, 09:51 PM
"PSO2 game servers back online in June."

-June 30th on the 11th hour?

Sp-24
Jun 26, 2014, 09:54 PM
They are preparing to bring it back sometime in June. There are no guarantees.

windorf
Jun 26, 2014, 10:18 PM
They are preparing to bring it back sometime in June. There are no guarantees.

The way I read it, was that if there are no more attacks (or maybe not as strong ones) that they will be up in June.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 26, 2014, 10:31 PM
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/261/d/b/this_thread_gave_me_cancer_by_piratesadventure-d5f6o9n.jpg

Noc Codez
Jun 26, 2014, 10:33 PM
LOL Wonder what would happen if they said screw it and left it off.. people would go nuts !

the_importer_
Jun 26, 2014, 11:45 PM
Multiplayer =2-4 players (example: console game multiplayer mode)
Massively Multiplayer = 4+ people (example: falz run)

While I understand the need to distinguish our community from the communities of other mmos, I don't think genre has much to do with it. S4 league and Warframe both are acrobatic TPS shiznits, but the community in warframe is far more mature and welcoming. ^^;

Hate to burst your bubble, but words like multi and massive have undefined amounts to them. They are more than 1, that's about all that everyone can agree on, the rest is a POV. 4 People in my 4 1/2 room condo, that's massive for me but 4 people in the building where I work, that wouldn't be massive for me.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 27, 2014, 12:13 AM
back on topic

twitter update
rough translation:
[Continued] currently, DDoS attacks by third parties becoming a lull a situation is. Still, to resume the service in June we are gearing up for.

basically the DDoS attacks have decreased a lot (slowed down/at a lull). They are gearing up to resume service sometime in June.

Next report will be *tommorow at 2 AM PST (5 am EST )* (that's 6/28 19:00 JST)

Asellus
Jun 27, 2014, 12:32 AM
back on topic

twitter update
rough translation:
[Continued] currently, DDoS attacks by third parties becoming a lull a situation is. Still, to resume the service in June we are gearing up for.

basically the DDoS attacks have decreased a lot (slowed down/at a lull). They are gearing up to resume service sometime in June.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Mattykins
Jun 27, 2014, 12:44 AM
That's another over used word. :P

It wouldn't be if this forum wasn't crawling with autists >:V

ShawnLeeGuku
Jun 27, 2014, 01:22 AM
I don't personally care if PSO2 fits the technical criteria for "Massive", I call it an MMO because it's easy to say, and "MMO" has become a generalized term for online RPGs.

On topic, I'm hoping it comes back up tomorrow night, but then again I've been saying that since this started. But given the gradual improvement of the situation (according to the reports, at least), I'd say we can go from cautiously optimistic, to generally optimistic.

Meteor Weapon
Jun 27, 2014, 01:37 AM
We're still talking about the MMO thing?

Chigun
Jun 27, 2014, 02:17 AM
Semantics. Sometimes works are hybrids of multiple things, or new spins on what is expected. I know many novels I've read which the publishing industry insists is a mystery, or fantasy, but when you actually get into the content of the story see it contains things far beyond the listed genre. The novel is what it is, crossing the industry's tightly kept boundaries with abandon.

First, who cares what PSO2 is defined as? Does that suddenly change the game mechanics, characters, chat systems, etc? No, it will be the same. The only change at stake here is some people will be satisfied that their definition is the "chosen one". Great... but for the rest of us, so what? I'm still going to get on and do the same things I always do.

Kondibon
Jun 27, 2014, 02:36 AM
Semantics. Sometimes works are hybrids of multiple things, or new spins on what is expected. I know many novels I've read which the publishing industry insists is a mystery, or fantasy, but when you actually get into the content of the story see it contains things far beyond the listed genre. The novel is what it is, crossing the industry's tightly kept boundaries with abandon.

First, who cares what PSO2 is defined as? Does that suddenly change the game mechanics, characters, chat systems, etc? No, it will be the same. The only change at stake here is some people will be satisfied that their definition is the "chosen one". Great... but for the rest of us, so what? I'm still going to get on and do the same things I always do.That example you used doesn't apply here. If you wanted to compare what we're talking about with games to books I'd actually say that novels vs novelas, vs comics would be a better comparison. It's about the medium, not the story, and thus, there can easly be defined limits for what makes something a novela instead of a novel, or a comic instead of a short story. For Movies I'd say animated vs live action, for music Digital vs Acoustic, etc.

It matters when the distinction is important, like when someone is looking for more of something (there's been a lot of "What other games like PSO2 are there" threads here and on reddit for instance). For regular conversation it doesn't, MMO has become coliqual for any online game and that's fine, but if people want to get technical, based on the criteria required to define an mmo without covering every online game ever, PSO2 isn't an MMO.

windorf
Jun 27, 2014, 02:58 AM
back on topic

twitter update
rough translation:

Updating the original post with this info. Just got back from watching the new Transformers.