PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 IS IT AN MMO?

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 06:14 PM
NOTE: to avoid any more "Who fucking cares" or "Why does it matter" comments- This is for sake of conversation, any vulgar comments unrelated to providing views on the topic will be reported. Dont get your diapers in a bunch. Thank you!

Since so many want to discuss this, I'll post this question so, have fun without worrying about derailing.

I read many views and I have to say the Multi- aspect fits to PSO2 as far as multi-player goes, but fails in the massive online expectations of felling large beasts in extremely poor odds in large groups
I.e.:
Field bosses.

the difference between a field boss and dungeon boss?
Field bosses are spawned by GMs, or a key time thing. Or among others- events, if certain criteria are met or 100% random on a timely schedule.(weekly, monthly so on)

Dungeon bosses are grind-able, spam-able, and require much less effort or work to kill depending on difficulty.(yeah i tried wow raids and they require memory+team work, P.s. Tanking SUCKS! <3)

Lets not dip into loot here, its a whole different scenario for each game in particular.

Have fun!

Noc Codez
Jun 26, 2014, 06:17 PM
Ehh it's mmo like but not a mmo in my opinion. It's more of a dungeon crawler. Psu was more a mmo then pso2. In psu at least we had different hubs (lobbies) to hang out in. Pso2 we have one lobby.

n_n
Jun 26, 2014, 06:18 PM
No, it's not an MMO. PSO2 doesn't fit the 'massive' part in MMO.

strikerhunter
Jun 26, 2014, 06:18 PM
PSO2 is labeled as an MMO but who the fuck cares if it is an MMO or not, it's not going to change a god dam thing.

moorebounce
Jun 26, 2014, 06:24 PM
I would call PSO2 a LMO "Limited multiplayer online". When they can reach 40+ in a party it will be considered a MMO to me.

yoshiblue
Jun 26, 2014, 06:28 PM
Gets almost as convoluted as the MOBA arguments.

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 06:37 PM
PSO2 is labeled as an MMO but who the fuck cares if it is an MMO or not, it's not going to change a god dam thing.

Only reason I care is for 2 things:
1st:Keeps the discussion outta one dudes thread and prevents it being derailed as bad.
2nd: It makes for a good read when people casually argue their points and values in a civil manner.

XrosBlader821
Jun 26, 2014, 06:41 PM
I would call PSO2 a LMO "Limited multiplayer online". When they can reach 40+ in a party it will be considered a MMO to me.

pls no. I already can barely find myself in 12 MPA's when Forces to their thing. Also my framerate goes nuts.

musicmf
Jun 26, 2014, 06:42 PM
I don't think your "field bosses" criteria determines if a game is an MMORPG or not.
In Ragnarok Online a GM spawned boss was no different from a natural spawn, in general the boss system worked pretty different (Not instanced, FFA, etc.) in RO compared to other MMOs yet this didn't change its classification of being an MMO.

Somethings to consider about the an MMORPG, while many people simultaneously fighting a single monster is one factor, there are also...
- The fact that people can gather together and chat with one another. (Lobby)
- Systems to facilitate communication between people if they are not gathered together. (Teams)
- The ability to trade items between each other to have an complicated economy work out. (Shop)
- Events where the server can work together (or compete) for a common goal. (Elder, Luther, Bingo, Rappy Races) (Interrupt Rankings)

So while you can only run around with 3 other party members, or 11 other multiparty members... there are other factors where one might consider a "massive" amount of players working together in PSO2.

pkemr4
Jun 26, 2014, 06:42 PM
who fucking cares?

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 06:45 PM
It's about as much of an MMO as WoW would be if you removed everything except the starting town. Every instance would use the dungeon finder and teleport you directly there and back.

No open world PVP, or rather no open world period, no camping respawns on field bosses since there are no fields to begin with, and there's no way to actively run any content with anyone who isn't in the same party or raid as you. Even within the exact same town as everyone else since it's the only one in the game, you won't see more than 10% of the online population.

Basically it would be a custom WC3 map.

btw-Niji
Jun 26, 2014, 06:48 PM
who fucking cares?
I think you care.

Zipzo
Jun 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure the "massive" in MMORPG simply refers to a virtual space that any more than some hundred of people can be logged in to at one time.

How many people you specifically can play and defeat monsters in a personal space with at any one point in time isn't really relevant.

BIG OLAF
Jun 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
who fucking cares?

So goddamn edgy I think I cut my eyeballs just reading it.

Anyway, PSO2 is an Online Roleplaying Game. Nothing "massive" about it, truthfully.

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 06:51 PM
It's about as much of an MMO as WoW would be if you removed everything except the starting town. Every instance would use the dungeon finder and teleport you directly there and back.

No open world PVP, or rather no open world period, no camping respawns on field bosses since there are no fields to begin with, and there's no way to actively run any content with anyone who isn't in the same party or raid as you. Even within the exact same town as everyone else since it's the only one in the game, you won't see more than 10% of the online population.

Basically it would be a custom WC3 map.

Sometimes I wish PSO2 would share similarities, mainly world exploration as apposed to PSU's Linear mapping, or the usual world zones. We need more larger explorable and interact-able lobbies

btw-Niji
Jun 26, 2014, 06:53 PM
Pretty sure the "massive" in MMORPG simply refers to a virtual space that any more than some hundred of people can be logged in to at one time.

How many people you specifically can play and defeat monsters in a personal space with at any one point in time isn't really relevant.
hey zitzo, long time no see. how you doin mate

Indignation Judgment
Jun 26, 2014, 06:54 PM
It's played Massively.
It has Multiplayer.
It's Online.
It's a Role
Playing
Game.

It's not open world, but so is Vindictus and people aren't chewing at each other for that.
Or Dragon Nest.
Or Lunia. Does anybody remember Lunia?

No. I don't want over 50 million players in my screen. My computer can barely handle PSO2.

And now, there IS server-wide cooperation. Have you forgot about falz yet?

musicmf
Jun 26, 2014, 06:55 PM
Nothing "massive" about it, truthfully.
The scale of it!

We travel both time and space to do our missions, and we've fought Elder who originally is as big as a planet.
Most MMOs only take place on a single planet, with rather small monsters in comparison to Elder's full size.

NoiseHERO
Jun 26, 2014, 06:55 PM
it's not an MMORPG.

it's an MMOARPG! : D

So is this going to be able the semantics of "Massive" or just being stubborn about your stance on something pointless in general.

But yeah who cares, this game is just a clone of a game, that's a clone of a game that took major influences from a game that stole ideas from PSO that stole ideas from diablo or some shit. The importance is at the bottom of the foodchain within it's own series.

XrosBlader821
Jun 26, 2014, 07:00 PM
Sometimes I wish PSO2 would share similarities, mainly world exploration as apposed to PSU's Linear mapping, or the usual world zones. We need more larger explorable and interact-able lobbies

Interactable? Yes.
Although we have "My room's" for that.
Larger? no.

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 07:00 PM
Multi- Falz Elder's arms
Massive- Falz Elder's entire Self
Online- Definitely not the PSO2 JP server :jpsmile:

Sychosis
Jun 26, 2014, 07:01 PM
It's played Massively.
It has Multiplayer.
It's Online.

PSO2 is as offline as it gets.

#REKT

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 07:09 PM
ouch.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 07:12 PM
This topic is now being discussed in two threads at the same time

This is normal, right?

Aside from that, I think PSO2 counts more or less as an MMO...although categorizing PSO2 as an MMO or not is hella subjective :I

Keyblade59
Jun 26, 2014, 07:14 PM
Massive Multiplayer Raids That Happen To Be Online

Xaelouse
Jun 26, 2014, 07:15 PM
This topic is now being discussed in two threads at the same time

This is normal, right?

PSO-W tradition
If serious enough, like discussing braver or shunka, even 3~

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 07:17 PM
It's so that when one thread gets derailed, the other can talk about something completely different.

Or get deleted.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 07:18 PM
PSO-W tradition

I got a good laugh out of that

pkemr4
Jun 26, 2014, 07:21 PM

look whos talking

Zipzo
it's not an MMORPG.

it's an MMOARPG! : D

So is this going to be able the semantics of "Massive" or just being stubborn about your stance on something pointless in general.

But yeah who cares, this game is just a clone of a game, that's a clone of a game that took major influences from a game that stole ideas from PSO that stole ideas from diablo or some shit. The importance is at the bottom of the foodchain within it's own series.

NO. SMASH 4 DOESN'T NEED WAVEDASHING.

moorebounce
It's all subjective. For all we know Sega could have just classified as a Online RPG and news outlets turned around and called it as a MMO or MMORPG. If Sega called it that then they had to be including the lobby as making massive IMO.

If you don't care we'll know because you haven't posted on this thread. Plus people posting in this thread don't care that you don't care.

Sparzyle
Jun 26, 2014, 07:24 PM
Most people think PSO2 it's PSO but nope

PSO was the thing that was not a MMO

PSO2 got nearer to MMOs but stayed at some neutral distance from what was PSO

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 07:24 PM
NO. SMASH 4 DOESN'T NEED WAVEDASHING.

Namco Smash is an MMO

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 07:33 PM
It's all subjective. For all we know Sega could have just classified as a Online RPG and news outlets turned around and called it as a MMO or MMORPG.

This is what I was thinking

Vintasticvin
Jun 26, 2014, 07:35 PM
Its an action rpg now stuff like ff14, WoW, and Wildstar ARE MMOs emphasis on that first M which means MASSIVE!

AlVaRo0515
Jun 26, 2014, 07:37 PM
why is even a thread...? . _.

PSchiZ
Jun 26, 2014, 07:41 PM
why is even a thread...? . _.

PSO-W tradition

I couldn't pass that up

Laxedrane
Jun 26, 2014, 07:44 PM
Since the only question is the "massive" part of the question. In terms of multiplayer I think it fits. standard is 2-4 players. PSO offers up to 3 times that much. So while it might not be the biggest multi-player experience but it certainly fits.

If we suddenly decide this is a MORPMG. And massively suddenly applies to the last word listed to the game world or the game itself being "Massive" it's not.

Plus larger doesn't sound as impressive anyways. And just becuase it doesn't offer the most multi-player options does not mean it's not "Massively Multi-player." Just becuase portal is a 4-6 hour game does not mean it stops being a puzzle game becuase other Puzzle games offer a longer experience or feature more puzzles.

ShinMaruku
It's not a MMO. MMOs have shit systems. PSO2 has shit management. PSO2 only got this moniker because people clung to the MMO thing nothing more nothing less. Since at most you have 12 player parties it's not a MMO. That is not massive.

I like the take the Pluto approach in classifying the game. Pluto ain't a planet even though it's massive enough to be round but it ain't a planet because it did not clear out it's region because it's small. Like that PSO2 does not have a open world that hold a huge amount of people playing together, that disqualifies it.

yoshiblue
Was going to say it was because of the human desire to classify and label everything.

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 07:45 PM
Was going to say it was because of the human desire to classify and label everything.

It's how we conquered everything.

Edson Drake
Jun 26, 2014, 07:48 PM
It's played Massively.
It has Multiplayer.
It's Online.
It's a Role
Playing
Game.

This could work as an ad for PSO2 western version. They should hire that movie trailer voice actor to announce that.

PSO2 is very different from typical MMORPG so I don't think it qualifies as it. It's an action RPG with MMO elements(the good ones) thrown in.
It's fine that way.

lostinseganet
Jun 26, 2014, 08:02 PM
When it was actually sold in america pso 1 was advertised as a mmo and it only have 4 character :)

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 08:10 PM
MMORPG's today are consistent of crappy old overview Warcraft style wargames that are web-based, but meant to stay on and be forgotten on Ipads/Smartphones
>search MMO 500 times in 1 day
>see Advertisements for R-18 MMO adult only game
>Click to be directed to some stupid web-based Facebook reject game that didn't pass the 99 - 1 profit agreement with Zynga

- No hate to the real Warcraft style games, but them fake ones with money grabs that some actually "Enjoy" are all over and false advertised and UGH

Nitro Vordex
Jun 26, 2014, 08:12 PM
Action RPG.

Kumichan
Jun 26, 2014, 08:14 PM

Anyway, PSO2 is an Online Roleplaying Game. Nothing "massive" about it, truthfully.

Pot, kettle, black.

Came here expecting the usual gigarant on the topic. We didn't get it (yet) but I found something even better! Welcome back honey.

Meyfei
Jun 26, 2014, 08:23 PM

I thought of a good counter claim!

The only thing massive about it was the HYPE!

Zipzo
Jun 26, 2014, 08:24 PM
It's not a MMO. MMOs have shit systems. PSO2 has shit management. PSO2 only got this moniker because people clung to the MMO thing nothing more nothing less. Since at most you have 12 player parties it's not a MMO. That is not massive.

I like the take the Pluto approach in classifying the game. Pluto ain't a planet even though it's massive enough to be round but it ain't a planet because it did not clear out it's region because it's small. Like that PSO2 does not have a open world that hold a huge amount of people playing together, that disqualifies it.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 08:52 PM
If it were just the lobby, you couldn't call it an ARPG

With just the quest content, you can't call it an MMO

ShinMaruku
Jun 26, 2014, 08:54 PM
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you?

This shit is alled a MMO because it was the popularly chosen moniker for the game. Mechanics and design wise, it's closer to DFO than to World of Warcraft.

Dia79
Jun 26, 2014, 09:12 PM
The only REAL MMO was Final Fantasy Xi Online the rest of the things you use to call mmo nowdays are a pathetic way to drag urself into some new wow clone game.
PSO2 Is just PSO which means an amazing and unique online game.

Freshellent
Jun 26, 2014, 09:13 PM
Every time this discussion comes up the answers are always divided down the middle.

Oddly enough, I am kind of siding with Zipzo on this. (Goddammit that makes two now.)

Well, not so much on this last part with him and Shin duking it out. Anyway, cocks.

Zyrusticae
Jun 26, 2014, 09:13 PM
It's played Massively.
Fuck you.

This is stupid.

If PSO2 is "played Massively" literally every multiplayer game on Planet Earth is "massively multiplayer" at some point in time.

And then the label loses all meaning.

So fuck you. And thanks for trying. But still, fuck you.

Freshellent
Jun 26, 2014, 09:14 PM
Fuck you.

This is stupid.

If PSO2 is "played Massively" literally every multiplayer game on Planet Earth is "massively multiplayer" at some point in time.

And then the label loses all meaning.

So fuck you. And thanks for trying. But still, fuck you.

I think I look forward to your posts now. Not only here, but on other forums too. I keep laughing everytime I read them.

UnLucky
Jun 26, 2014, 09:17 PM
let's call it an "MMO-like" because that sort of distinction is completely necessary and also makes a lot of sense and is very intuitive and descriptive

Sayara
Jun 26, 2014, 09:24 PM
it is massive.
Like an E cup or so.

Its also massive how big this lock is.
[spoiler-box]http://www.logicworks.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/lock.jpg[/spoiler-box]