PDA

View Full Version : Think this could be a PSO2 Replacement?

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 07:01 PM
Looks like PSO2 (or more like a rip-off), has a story line, supports gamepads, PC and PS4 cross-play, F2P.

http://onigiri.cyberstep.com/download/index.html

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 07:02 PM
Not really. PSO2 is cool because muh sci-fi/fantasy hybrid mishmash I can play as a robot goddammit. That game just looks like fanservice fantasy shit.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 07:07 PM
Not really. PSO2 is cool because muh sci-fi/fantasy hybrid mishmash I can play as a robot goddammit. That game just looks like fanservice fantasy shit.

I know it's been a while since we've all played the game, but do you remember how most people "dress" their female character in PSO2? SEGA offers plenty of fanservice themselves.

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 07:10 PM
Imma try it. Though, it's probably full of kids.

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 07:10 PM
Note that I said that pso2 is cool cause sci-fi/fantasy mishmash, which makes up for the fanservice anime stuff. Sort of.

Asuka~
Jun 28, 2014, 07:12 PM
Looks like PSO2 (or more like a rip-off), has a story line, supports gamepads, PC and PS4 cross-play, F2P.

Yeah... I played the Japanese open beta for a while - I enjoyed it! That's probably the game I'll head to if I get banned and/or quit PSO2 for whatever reason that may be. Or there's always Blade and Soul (for me anyway).

UnLucky
Jun 28, 2014, 07:22 PM
Export your in-game character from Onigiri as MMD Model Data.
This feature is currently in Beta, but please enjoy!
But where is the IMPORT feature??

Zyrusticae
Jun 28, 2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah... I played the Japanese open beta for a while - I enjoyed it! That's probably the game I'll head to if I get banned and/or quit PSO2 for whatever reason that may be. Or there's always Blade and Soul (for me anyway).
I would be playing Blade & Soul right now if there were a version I could connect to without horrible latency.

Unfortunately, completely unlike PSO2, it's one of those games that's super-sensitive to your latency. Connecting from a foreign location guarantees a sub-par experience, even if you use a VPN or booster service to mitigate it. I still managed to get two characters to level cap in the Chinese version despite this, which is a testament of the game's strength, but at this point I'm basically waiting for the hopefully-still-happening Western version just so I can play without that awful, awful latency.

Of course, the JP version is kind of an option, but it's P2P, sooo...

Meta77
Jun 28, 2014, 07:31 PM
ive been playing the japanese open beta. *sony doesnt ban foreign people* so yea ill probably try it.

musicmf
Jun 28, 2014, 07:33 PM
But where is the IMPORT feature??

The character creation is pretty limited, so I would assume you won't be able to import ever in the game.

------

It does feel a bit like PSO2, you have basic attacks per weapon, 4 quick-weapon switch setups, and special attacks (PAs) per weapon.
You get outfits you can equip to make your character all cute or w/e. (There's also a nude-mod like PSO2 got!)

But it's overall pretty lacking. The collision boxes are non-existent, and the hitboxes are really deceptive. The weapons have limited techniques, and most of them are pretty useless in general. The gameplay feels much slower, especially without anything like step-canceling. This makes it pretty annoying to dodge out of the way of monsters who just walk toward you (and damage you while they walk), which makes it much easier to just use a bow or wand and range fight everything in the game.
I was entering lv 12~ hard mode (instead of the intended normal) dungeons as lv 4, and it wasn't really hard cause I could kite everything with a bow, and hitstun them too.

Monsters spawn in set areas, and the respawn timers are really high so if your bad you could have things constantly aggroing on your back. This combined with no real knockback or anything while getting hit and you might not even notice ranged monsters hitting you.

Game feels much more repetitive then PSO2 as well.

The story from what I've been through seems cliche and the presentation of it's visual novel-like scenes don't feel well made. (Much worse than Compile Heart game dialogue scenes)
Seems a bit buggy on story dialogue too, where lines cut into each other, last longer then they should, and don't display the text long enough either.
Very unpolished in this regard. (Although I think its still in Beta?)

Since it's F2P and a relatively small download, you could check the game out if you wish. Just don't expect anything amazing.
Just my 2cents

TsukasaHiiragi
Jun 28, 2014, 07:37 PM

O.o MMD support?? Thanks for this link, I'll give this a try.

UnLucky
Jun 28, 2014, 07:54 PM
I would be playing Blade & Soul right now if there were a version I could connect to without horrible latency.

I'm basically waiting for the hopefully-still-happening Western version just so I can play without that awful, awful latency.

I hope the English release is F2P so I can hop on and play that for the couple weeks before whoever I can drag along gets bored.

And there'd better be an uncensor tool on day one so I can enjoy the original intended content as it was meant to be played only without requiring a Korean SSN and paying monthly and understanding Korean.

The character creation is pretty limited, so I would assume you won't be able to import ever in the game.
I'm sure it would be a legal logistical nightmare to allow players to freely use any custom model they wanted, but it sure would be something though! Until the novelty wears off, that is.

Gardios
Jun 28, 2014, 08:00 PM

Localized version is coming out aaaaaaaaany second now...

BnS where are you ;_;

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 08:02 PM
Note that I said that pso2 is cool cause sci-fi/fantasy mishmash, which makes up for the fanservice anime stuff. Sort of.

That's your defense 0_o

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 08:04 PM
My "defense" is that at least PSO2 has more to it that's actually interesting and not just yay fanservice.

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
Looks like this game was made on a potato.

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 08:11 PM
I'll try it when my data cap resets next month.

UnLucky
Jun 28, 2014, 08:13 PM
http://onigiri.cyberstep.com/images/download/img_mdd01.png

Looks exactly like PSO2 with simple shaders.

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 08:14 PM
http://onigiri.cyberstep.com/images/download/img_mdd01.png

Looks exactly like PSO2 with simple shaders.

And better anatomy.

I wonder if you can actually make midgets with d-cups, long women, and lolis with mutant eyes in this.

The gameplay looks like hairy buttcracks tho.

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2014, 08:15 PM

Thanks I will give it a try. It will keep me busy enough to not think about PSO2 being down/gone.

Are there other similar games?

Keyblade59
Jun 28, 2014, 08:17 PM
9 days into DDoS already looking at replacements lol

I'll admit it's taking a bit of time but still

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 08:19 PM
9 days into DDoS already looking at replacements lol

Dat 2nd life Addiction doe!

Lookin' for dat next dealer.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 08:20 PM
My "defense" is that at least PSO2 has more to it that's actually interesting and not just yay fanservice.

Considering that you're judging the game before playing it, you still have no defense. The service starts July 1st and since it will be a holiday in Canada, I'll give it a try.

TsukasaHiiragi
Jun 28, 2014, 08:22 PM
I already downloaded and installed it :3

Xaelouse
I'm hoping Kritika's china servers are F2P like blade and soul. That game is like the guilty gear of MMOs

The Walrus
Considering that you're judging the game before playing it, you still have no defense. The service starts July 1st and since it will be a holiday in Canada, I'll give it a try.

I'm not wasting my time on every F2P mmo that comes out since like 99.9% are awful. But fine, for you I'll give it a shot just so I can come back and tell you that I played it and it's shit

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 08:23 PM
I'm not wasting my time on every F2P mmo that comes out since like 99.9% are awful. But fine, for you I'll give it a shot just so I can come back and tell you that I played it and it's shit

That tsundere boredom doe.

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 08:24 PM
It's so bad, Rock. I have hundreds of games, most of which I haven't touched on steam alone, and I'm so bored...

TsukasaHiiragi
Jun 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
It's so bad, Rock. I have hundreds of games, most of which I haven't touched on steam alone, and I'm so bored...

I know the feeling >.< I'm still waiting for Mugen Souls Z patch so I can play that properly, thats about the only other game I've been waiting to play lately.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 08:30 PM

If it sucks, it will suck based on it's gameplay, not it's appearance. BTW, compared to the average PC game of today, PSO2 is no work of art either but the gameplay is still great.

Also, since this is getting a PS4 release as well, it's got to be at lease decent since let's face it, there's more shit on PC than any other gaming platforms (not counting mobile market).

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 08:32 PM
That's cause anyone can make a pc game...

Also appearance counts. Not too much, but enough to matter.

Gardios
Jun 28, 2014, 08:33 PM
Are there other similar games?

I still think TERA is a pretty solid action MMORPG with decent story line. Native controller support, too.

It's also damn pretty.

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2014, 08:33 PM

Unfortunately, completely unlike PSO2, it's one of those games that's super-sensitive to your latency. Connecting from a foreign location guarantees a sub-par experience, even if you use a VPN or booster service to mitigate it. I still managed to get two characters to level cap in the Chinese version despite this, which is a testament of the game's strength, but at this point I'm basically waiting for the hopefully-still-happening Western version just so I can play without that awful, awful latency.

Blade & Soul looks kind of similar Tera Online

After watching some video on it I'll give it a try if they drop an English version.

I still think TERA is a pretty solid action MMORPG with decent story line. Native controller support, too.

It's also damn pretty.

I've played Tera before. I would have to reinstall it and try to remember my login. lol

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jun 28, 2014, 08:34 PM

correction 99.9% of all MMOS are awful

look at elder scrolls online P2P with a cash shop that includes a race the imperial race which was a basic race in elder scrolls games

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 08:35 PM
correction 99.9% of all MMOS are awful

look at elder scrolls online P2P with a cash shop that includes a race the imperial race which was a basic race in elder scrolls games

Fair enough.

UnLucky
Jun 28, 2014, 08:36 PM
If it sucks, it will suck based on it's gameplay, not it's appearance. BTW, compared to the average PC game of today, PSO2 is no work of art either but the gameplay is still great.
Mhm, if it sucks it will be because they focused on fanservice fantasy crap instead of making a good game.

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 08:45 PM
Mhm, if it sucks it will be because they focused on fanservice fantasy crap instead of making a good game.

Like PSO2

But without that problem pso2 has when characters lift their arms in the air and their arm becomes detached.

but like probably 2x as shitty as pso2 still... so it's a lamer version of something that's already shit. <_>

Zyrusticae
Jun 28, 2014, 08:51 PM

It's also damn pretty.

Blade & Soul looks kind of similar Tera Online

After watching some video on it I'll give it a try if they an English version.
I played TERA some as well, but between Blade & Soul and Tera, Blade & Soul is the far superior game.

Don't get me wrong - Tera can be quite fun and deserves quite a bit of credit for doing action combat in an MMORPG pretty damn well (it's one of the few games where I actually enjoy playing a healer class), but it also fails in many, many areas that B&S does not. Class balance is all over the place, PvP is a one-shot-fest, "endgame" is your usual Korea-level grind (complete with excessive amounts of RNG), and let's face it, the story and questing is completely uninteresting. Oh, and character creation isn't great (ZERO body customization - you can't even change eye color for cryin' out loud!).

B&S does better in basically every area. To wit: class balance sees regular adjustments; PvP is actually engaging (though from what I hear the PvP in Korea goes too far in the opposite direction with excessively high HP counts); the "endgame" does a far better job of letting you feel like you're actually making progress towards a goal; the story is actually really well-executed (for video games in general, even - among MMOs it's basically uncontested); and yeah, the character creation is top-tier, with its only fault being some restrictive sliders and the lack of a muscle slider. All of this is made more impressive by the fact that they completely threw out the idea of the holy trinity and created its own group combat paradigm, something Guild Wars 2 tries and utterly fails to do.

The only thing I fault the game for is the fact that it IS a standard themepark MMO underneath it all, hence you will eventually get bored of running the same content over and over. But, you know, when it's as well-made as this, I don't really consider it a strike against the game, but rather a strike against the genre as a whole.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 08:52 PM
Also appearance counts. Not too much, but enough to matter.

And with this, you've proven that you're part of the problem with the game industry.

Today, I've played Virtual-On on my Japanese Saturn with TwinSticks on my CRT. The game, like most games from the 5th generation of video games, looks like shit and did not aesthetically aged well. That being said, I had a blast playing it. Sure I cursed a lot because it took me a while to remember how to use these tank controls, but it was fun.

If Onigiri sucks, it will suck based on the fundamentally most important aspect of a video game, gameplay, this includes the controls and the mechanics.

Gardios
Jun 28, 2014, 09:19 PM
@Zyru: Not arguing that TERA is better than BnS (because it isn't), but it's a good alternative considering BnS isn't coming out anytime soon and playing it with bad ping really sucks. :(

Rien
Jun 28, 2014, 09:37 PM
Cyberstep is a company worse than SEGA.

That's why I won't touch Onigiri.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 10:03 PM
Cyberstep is a company worse than SEGA.

That's why I won't touch Onigiri.

Have they done anything controversial? Also, why is SEGA a bad company? The DDOS attack was not their fault, Network solution got 2 of those last year and they're the primary domain name provider in the world.

Sp-24
Jun 28, 2014, 10:07 PM
Also, why is SEGA a bad company?
Have we got the copy-paste-ready answer yet?

I doubt that anyone here is blaming Sega for the DDoS, but they did plenty of other things to be blamed for over the years.

UnLucky
Jun 28, 2014, 10:10 PM
I played TERA some as well, but between Blade & Soul and Tera, Blade & Soul is the far superior game.
I found a few things in the character creator that I felt missing from TERA, like some sliders and the option to separate some stuff that was always strangely a package deal, but I'm still upset that I can't have an adult woodland critter in either one. Or any custom age for any race for that matter.

My immediate reaction to the gameplay was that it was the exact same game. After introducing a few gimmicks like gliding and running on water, it at least started to look different. The fact that there's no regular armor whatsoever, a bunch of costumes are tied to faction allegiance rendering them completely unusable in certain areas, and premium costumes can't be sold for in-game currency on the marketplace really kill the customization aspect for me. Like the only thing that shows is your weapon and the limited costumes you can get for free. And of course everyone has the one evolving weapon thing that is the best or whatever.

Combat felt good, with the same combo hotkey thing from Tera that flows nicely with skill procs and saves button real estate. Overall pretty impressed with the skill trees since you get pretty much every basic skill as you level so you just choose what aspects to trade off for another. Some of it makes no sense at all, such as later skills completely retracting the exact bonus you had just gotten with the prereq skill essentially unavoidably wasting skill points if you choose to take that path, but I suppose that's one of their attempts at balance. Not sure if it's strictly up to the publisher, but skill resets on the Chinese server were completely free any time you wanted, so that was cool.

Upgrading of course still carries a lot of RNG, but there's a lot more steady progress. AFAIK your weapon can never break nor downgrade, but you can fail to upgrade and lose all your materials. The rest is guaranteed level ups by sacrificing other equipment.

Number one reason that killed it for me is the stamina system, though. Chances are it'd be removed in a Western release, albeit with whatever EXP penalty that comes with it. The Korean and Japanese servers don't have Fatigue, but they also have a monthly fee so...

Freshellent
Jun 28, 2014, 10:14 PM
I find it odd that people would even question why SEGA is considered a bad company these days. At least, on these forums. I'll chalk it up to having them having only good experiences so far and a lot of luck.

There's a boatload of 3rd person action titles out there, and oddly enough I've never seen this one. It looks kind of terrible to be honest. Like, actual ass hairy cheeks.

[spoiler-box] Meaning I'll still give it a shot sometime. [/spoiler-box]

I've got too many games on my plate as it is to even play PSO2, although I'd like to prepare myself for Bouncer at some point.

Eitherway, at this rate it seems like not even PSO could replace PSO. The more I play 2 the less I like it I think. It's great in small doses but man does it rub me the wrong way sometimes. I'm a sucker for the series though, I can keep dreaming. It could be a lot worse!

Edit:
TERA is a hot subject again I noticed, what happened? Was it that update with the new lolismashing class? I enjoyed some of my time on that game, but I couldn't be bothered to commit after little less than a year.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 10:15 PM
Have we got the copy-paste-ready answer yet?

I doubt that anyone here is blaming Sega for the DDoS, but they did plenty of other things to be blamed for over the years.

I get the feeling that whatever answer you would give me would not mean that SEGA is a bad company but just that you are not satisfied with their products due to your own personal preferences.

A bad company is a company that rips you off, that mistreats it's employees, that's involved with shady business practices. Sure, most Sonic games have sucked for the longest time in most retro fans' eye, but some people like them and buy them, if they didn't, SEGA would stop making them.

Freshellent
Jun 28, 2014, 10:17 PM
Ah, see that statement seems like you didn't know that they have indeed, done a lot of those things hahaha.

SEGA is some pretty bad news in the last few years. With this game it's gotten better and I honestly feel bad for them. But they shit they pulled on PSU is kind of legendary around these parts and for anyone that played it was NOT something worth reliving.

the_importer_
Jun 28, 2014, 10:23 PM
Ah, see that statement seems like you didn't know that they have indeed, done a lot of those things hahaha.

SEGA is some pretty bad news in the last few years. With this game it's gotten better and I honestly feel bad for them. But they shit they pulled on PSU is kind of legendary around these parts and for anyone that played it was NOT something worth reliving.

Would you please elaborate on this?

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 10:26 PM
I might give Blade and Soul a try, though I heard the English Patch is lacking.

Freshellent
Jun 28, 2014, 10:37 PM
Maximum Attack (I think that's the name, been years now I've forgotten) comes to mind for PSU. Really, just the whole time PSU was up was basically a slap in the face to anyone that played it. It's kind of like watching the guys reach into your wallet but not bothering to stop it. In the end we're to blame for playing it, but I think the thought that it would get better is why some people took the abuse.

I'm not at liberty to elaborate on some details, simply because they aren't my stories to tell and I don't have clear references available for you right now. I also have never had the displeasure of working for them, but if you find anyone that has you can ask them yourself and see what they have to say.

Think back to when we had people having their PMs bombed to 0, the rampant hacking and lack of moderation. Losing control of our accounts and having to call the banks to beg them to cut our service because we couldn't turn of the auto-charging. Update delays, never once getting proper compensation. Not to mention pointless bans, while other accounts that were clearly causing trouble stayed active till the servers closed.

Oh yeah, with how the servers were killed prematurely. I mean, a lot of that has to do with all the hacking and basically being chased off the servers in the first place due to the lack of support. The list goes on and on and I'll bet tons of people remember it all, just not so fondly.

I know there's tons I'm forgetting too. But eh, like I said, It's our fault for continuing to enable it. A lot of us should have moved on, but we didn't. I mean, I'm well over it now but still.

Vintasticvin
Jun 28, 2014, 10:39 PM
Would you please elaborate on this?

Basically what he means is services outside of Japan are pretty bad, either we never got said features or had the game up to date like the JP version, instead of giving us reskins instead of weapons with new original designs that JP had... Hm I'm sure I'm missing and if anyone feels I am PLEASE FOR GOODNESS SAKE DONT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE ABOUT IT. I KNOW YOU ARE PISSED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY PSO2 but this person has no idea why the hate around here towards Sega is all about.

gigawuts
Jun 28, 2014, 10:40 PM
Maximum Attack (I think that's the name, been years now I've forgotten) comes to mind for PSU. Really, just the whole time PSU was up was basically a slap in the face to anyone that played it. It's kind of like watching the guys reach into your wallet but not bothering to stop it. In the end we're to blame for playing it, but I think the thought that it would get better is why some people took the abuse.

I'm not at liberty to elaborate on some details, simply because they aren't my stories to tell and I don't have clear references available for you right now. I also have never had the displeasure of working for them, but if you find anyone that has you can ask them yourself and see what they have to say.

Think back to when we had people having their PMs bombed to 0, the rampant hacking and lack of moderation. Losing control of our accounts and having to call the banks to beg them to cut our service because we couldn't turn of the auto-charging. Update delays, never once getting proper compensation. Not to mention pointless bans, while other accounts that were clearly causing trouble stayed active till the servers closed.

Oh yeah, with how the servers were killed prematurely. I mean, a lot of that has to do with all the hacking and basically being chased off the servers in the first place due to the lack of support. The list goes on and on and I'll bet tons of people remember it all, just not so fondly.

I know there's tons I'm forgetting too. But eh, like I said, It's our fault for continuing to enable it. A lot of us should have moved on, but we didn't. I mean, I'm well over it now but still.

None of this compares to the monstrosity that was the Yahoo Cup. The fact that such a thing even existed was a travesty.

I won't even talk about the Yahoo Mag.

no but seriously that sounds shit

moorebounce
Jun 28, 2014, 10:42 PM

I only have one mark on Sega and that was PSU because of the offline part and the monthly subscription for the online part. Other than that Sega is golden in my book. They redeemed themselves with PSO2 IMO. I wouldn't say the stuff they pulled with PSU was legendary but still fresh on people's minds.

Back on subject I'll check Cyberstep (although you have to spam everything to lvl them up like PSU)out although Tera (played it got boring quickly) and Blade and Soul look better IMO. I just watched some video on B&S and I'm feeling that gliding around. Too bad there isn't an English version out.

Freshellent
Jun 28, 2014, 10:43 PM
None of this compares to the monstrosity that was the Yahoo Cup. The fact that such a thing even existed was a travesty.

I won't even talk about the Yahoo Mag.

no but seriously that sounds shit

hhahahahahahahahahaha

I really wish I kept all my old screens of the stuff that went down. PS fans got the dick on so many things sometimes.

Not to play victim or anything but holy chit there's been some really bad moments to look back on.

Shadowth117
Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 PM

Funny you mention the autocharge. I actually had a friend who used a 20 buck card to pay for a bit and then... well SEGA kept trying to charge the empty card. Somehow this went on for like a year and a half before they realized "Wait, why are we letting this dude play without paying us?!"

I don't know much about the hacking that went on with the earlier PSU things, but I did know some people that had their accounts hacked through some BS with credit card phishing Xbox Live support and Microsoft.

KuroKanden
Jun 28, 2014, 10:44 PM
The graphics are downright horrendous...they could have atleast went for a more anime-ish design similar to Aura Kingdom. then again I've only played the JPN OBT for 20 minutes...did'nt exactly enjoy it, combat is pretty lackluster too.

Blade & Soul was'nt half bad when I inititally played it, but the combat dulls down if you're playing with high ping making it feel like a tab-targeting game.
Ping becomes an extremely large factor as it affects every action you do ; compare the dps of a 100ms LBM to a 20ms LBM, He would literally does about thrice the dps you do even with horrible gear because of the ping advantage. this essentially means you're bottlenecked by your ping as to how well you perform, extremely aggravating in pvp. upgrading system, I would'nt say its not all that unforgiving but can be quite brutal sometimes. (failing final tier upgrades 16x in a row and losing 200g+ ...yeah did'nt quite enjoy that) but then again almost every upgrading system provides you a choice between gambling with RNG or investing large amounts of time to ensue a success. in blade and soul's case, you can obtain mercuries which guarantees a success albeit coming at a much higher base cost.

I don't think any MMO can top off PSO2 when it comes to waifu simulator masterrace.

IndignationSWF
Jun 28, 2014, 10:52 PM
I played Onigiri up to level 18 over the downtime. It's a fun game, but it loses it's lustere hard unless you have friend to play it with. The big issue in my mind is that it feels a bit stilted in combat, it doesn't flow well from attack to attack. The fanservice factor's also a bit much but that's something I generally try to ignore.

pkemr4
Jun 28, 2014, 10:53 PM

its a shit game. the graphics are the same as other games that require a 7800. the gameplay is the same as other rip off like games. i played it for 5 minutes and got bored of this shit.

Skize
Jun 28, 2014, 11:02 PM
This game is really really bad. I played it before and it's choppy and cheap graphics. The gameplay is also nothing fun about it. It's really not worth it.

Zyrusticae
Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 PM
@Zyru: Not arguing that TERA is better than BnS (because it isn't), but it's a good alternative considering BnS isn't coming out anytime soon and playing it with bad ping really sucks. :(
Yeah, that's pretty much what it comes down to: one is immediately available and the other is a lag-filled experience (and don't forget language barriers, for that matter).

Damn NCSoft for delaying it for so damn long. Wildstar isn't even close to being an able replacement.

[spoiler-box]I found a few things in the character creator that I felt missing from TERA, like some sliders and the option to separate some stuff that was always strangely a package deal, but I'm still upset that I can't have an adult woodland critter in either one. Or any custom age for any race for that matter.

My immediate reaction to the gameplay was that it was the exact same game. After introducing a few gimmicks like gliding and running on water, it at least started to look different. The fact that there's no regular armor whatsoever, a bunch of costumes are tied to faction allegiance rendering them completely unusable in certain areas, and premium costumes can't be sold for in-game currency on the marketplace really kill the customization aspect for me. Like the only thing that shows is your weapon and the limited costumes you can get for free. And of course everyone has the one evolving weapon thing that is the best or whatever.

Combat felt good, with the same combo hotkey thing from Tera that flows nicely with skill procs and saves button real estate. Overall pretty impressed with the skill trees since you get pretty much every basic skill as you level so you just choose what aspects to trade off for another. Some of it makes no sense at all, such as later skills completely retracting the exact bonus you had just gotten with the prereq skill essentially unavoidably wasting skill points if you choose to take that path, but I suppose that's one of their attempts at balance. Not sure if it's strictly up to the publisher, but skill resets on the Chinese server were completely free any time you wanted, so that was cool.

Upgrading of course still carries a lot of RNG, but there's a lot more steady progress. AFAIK your weapon can never break nor downgrade, but you can fail to upgrade and lose all your materials. The rest is guaranteed level ups by sacrificing other equipment.

Number one reason that killed it for me is the stamina system, though. Chances are it'd be removed in a Western release, albeit with whatever EXP penalty that comes with it. The Korean and Japanese servers don't have Fatigue, but they also have a monthly fee so...[/spoiler-box]Pretty much. Credit where credit is due, PSO2 does really good with the sheer range of customization, with only a few notable omissions (you know the ones - lack of independent waist control, a butt slider, and stuff like that). Even though Blade & Soul does really well, you're still stuck with whatever the racial paradigm is - you can't really make a non-sexy Gon, for example, and of course the Lyn will always be at least a little bit cute and short (but they do let you make older-looking ones, just not... well, curvy or buff ones).

It should be noted that there are some pretty big differences in combat between Tera and Blade & Soul if you look past the surface - Tera is not nearly as skill chain-oriented; every single class has at least a few mobility skills in B&S; and Tera isn't as heavy on the CC effects. In fact, something Blade & Soul does that I think more games need to do is that it actually lets you use CC effects on bosses instead of just making most CC effects completely irrelevant in group PvE. They just force you to chain CC effects to encourage teamwork, and I think it works brilliantly. "Raid" content just decreases the size of the window, which is completely necessary when you consider just how many people can be beating on one boss simultaneously (up to 24 in a full instance).

As for the fatigue system - complete non-issue IMO. I chafed against it at first but I realized that it does a good job of making you check out other things to do than purely leveling (like working on your gear or doing some crafting or training up an alt), and it usually takes at least a few hours of play to hit the cap on any given day anyway. And it is entirely irrelevant once you hit level cap, where you're more concerned about money than anything else. As far as fatigue systems go, this one is extremely benign. I wouldn't mind seeing it carry over to the NA/EU version.

I do agree on the clothing bit, though - it's odd that clothing is completely untradeable. What's available for free is pretty varied, however, especially as a lot of the cash shop stuff is just boss drops (granted, 30-day duration boss drops, but still). Also, using the Chinese version as a reference is a bit misleading as there's fucktons of stuff that's in the client that hasn't been released yet (and won't be released until they raise the level cap). Just something to keep in mind.

To be fair, though, most of what's on offer is simply superior to PSO2's weird and eccentric clothing options. It's very rare in B&S that I run into an outfit with some additions that completely kill the look for me, and I'm really grateful to Team Bloodlust for that.

Blade & Soul was'nt half bad when I inititally played it, but the combat dulls down if you're playing with high ping making it feel like a tab-targeting game.
Ping becomes an extremely large factor as it affects every action you do ; compare the dps of a 100ms LBM to a 20ms LBM, He would literally does about thrice the dps you do even with horrible gear because of the ping advantage. this essentially means you're bottlenecked by your ping as to how well you perform, extremely aggravating in pvp.
Exxxxxactly.

I wish they went with another option for the netcode, because goddamn does it feel bad when you have high latency.

NCSoft, wtf are you doing!?

NoiseHERO
Jun 28, 2014, 11:10 PM
You were stabbing your self in the leg with a knife constantly playing PSU as anything other than a REALLY good 10 dollar a month chatroom.

To be honest I think if they made this series just a really detailed indepth chatroom it'd probably be more successful, kinda like that IMVU and that weird second life Playstation game.

Focus more on char models, lobbies, outfit collabs, make it international, add an offline mode where you just take screenshots/make videos/machinima, replace cash shops with mini outfit packs. Then every weabootaku on the planet will be cybering each other on it in no time! and nobody can complain about the gameplay.

Because it'll be what it may as well be, ultimate anime dress up game. and you get to talk to people other than other crazy psychos of the PSO niche fanbase! THAT'S 5000% MORE OTAKU FRIENDS!

Vetur
Jun 29, 2014, 01:19 AM
No way. I tried that game already, and the movement was really weird and jagged/jerky. I remember the combat being action-based, but it was also glitchy and near impossible to actually dodge attacks.
It's actually a pretty old game, but it only recently is for English release.

Probably the best thing about it is the Japanese theme that's quite rare in MMOs, and the male hairstyles.

I preferred Blade Chronicle.
It had an interesting combat system where you could make a sword-slash movement with your mouse across the screen.

IndignationSWF
Jun 29, 2014, 01:23 AM
I'd almost suggest Rusty Hearts, but it takes forever to get anywhere in level.

Vetur
Jun 29, 2014, 01:44 AM
I'd almost suggest Rusty Hearts, but it takes forever to get anywhere in level.

Yeah, I'd say side-scrolling action MMOs tend to be better(imo) in the combat department.
Grand Chase and Elsword remind me a bit of the Super Smash Bros. series, that you can be quite mobile and beat things up and toss/knock them around.
If Latale wasn't so laggy, it'd be fun to combat in.

There's Tera if you want an action-based MMORPG, but I find it really limiting because of cool-downs and inability to jump-attack, among other things. The never-ending quest lines make PSO2's COs look fun in comparison. If you like exploration, it can be fun to climb mountains and buildings, though.

hoangsea
Jun 29, 2014, 02:42 AM
onigiri
cyber $tep

just forget it
every cyber step 's game are hard Pay to win game
get enough shiet from cosmic break already

-Nozomi
Jun 29, 2014, 03:08 AM
The closed beta was fun for this game. Its an alright game to get into with some friends. Oh but the costs for a weapon upgrade empty those pockets.....

ShinMaruku
Jun 29, 2014, 03:13 AM

JP version also has the issue of being just the Chinese version and misses some of the hot shit Korea entitled. I too enjoyed Bewb and Soul.

Meta77
Jun 29, 2014, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know when this comes to ps4?

moorebounce
Jul 2, 2014, 02:27 AM
I just saw a show showing off a free MMO called "Swordsman". The closed beta just ended. So when it drops I'm checking it out.

http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/swordsman

Wakaburi
Jul 2, 2014, 04:44 AM
I'll just play Blade and Soul JP.
And the money I spent on PSO2, well sega can go fuck itself and insert the money up it's ass.

Meta77
Jul 2, 2014, 06:32 AM
So should i sign up for Blade and Soul Jp or NA