PDA

View Full Version : Static IP Addresses

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:18 PM
I know we have said the use of a VPN is dangerous, but that was because of the fact that on free VPNs such as the ones hosted on SoftEther, there are multiple users using the same IP addresses, not to mention that every time we log in we are assigned different IP addresses. This in turn, makes it so we have to get a confirmation email and code every time we switch regions. If we used a Static IP address from Japan, provided by a paid VPN that is given to only 1 customer, would the majority of these risks be reduced? I believe they would, since the static IP address would remain the same obviously, and you would be the only one logging in from it. Thus, the player would not switch IP addresses, and there would be no risk of someone using the same IP address in one of their malicious acts. Thoughts?

FOnewearl-Lina
Jun 28, 2014, 08:19 PM
Yeah that works, usually involves the movement of money though.

Used to need a VPN when playing JP Hangames

The Walrus
Jun 28, 2014, 08:20 PM
I think you should sit back and see what happens over the next week

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:21 PM
Yes, but the particular VPN im looking into provides me with some time to make a decision, and during this time I can cancel the service for a full refund. I will wait some time, still, but in the event that either SEGA just leaves us with no official response or certain ISPs fail to connect us, I wanted to make sure someone who actually knows IT wouldn't tell me "That won't work because of XXX". If it works, then that's great.

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 08:23 PM
I think that there are VPNs that assign you static IPs.

FOnewearl-Lina
Jun 28, 2014, 08:24 PM
It will work because your IP is not being shared.

That's the benefits of paying for a static IP.

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:24 PM
Yes there are, but not free VPNs. OpenVPN is required for static IPs. Most of the cheap ones or free ones are PPTP which don't provide the user a static IP address at the consumer level.

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:25 PM
I have emailed several different VPN providers and the majority responded they don't provide static IP addresses at the consumer level. What premium VPNs do you all use that provide static IP addresses? I have seriously researched this but have only found 1 so far.

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
PureVPN has static Ips I think.

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:36 PM
Wow, thanks for that. It seems to be cheaper than strongvpn. I am emailing them regardless to make sure their package would work for these purposes.

Shinamori
Jun 28, 2014, 08:39 PM
Google for "Dedicated VPNs" and you'll find some.

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 08:40 PM
Yep, I had been googling "static VPN" and I didn't run into many. Static VPN sounds like a better term in my opinion but go figure. Thanks once again.

TsukasaHiiragi
Jun 28, 2014, 08:45 PM
It will work because your IP is not being shared.

That's the benefits of paying for a static IP.

Static IPs have pros and cons though, whilst it would allow you better access to Japanese MMos etc, on the flipside it would leave your computer more vulnerable if hackers etc - discovered your IP address etc.

Unwarsky
Jun 28, 2014, 08:52 PM
Do not use OpenVPN mode, because it usually cause a confirmation email

FOnewearl-Lina
Jun 28, 2014, 08:53 PM
Static IPs have pros and cons though, whilst it would allow you better access to Japanese MMos etc, on the flipside it would leave your computer more vulnerable if hackers etc - discovered your IP address etc.

Also lag, but the PROs (being able to play PSO2) outweigh the cons.

BenekeSmith
Jun 28, 2014, 10:18 PM
PureVPN does not offer dedicated IP addresses in Japan. I emailed them and was told:
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us. It is to inform you that we have Japanese Servers and you may get Japanese IP by connecting the Japanese Servers, but we have no Dedicated Server for Japan and you may not get dedicated/ fixed IP with Japan Server.

Regards,
Fiz
PureVPN Support Team
Well. Time to keep looking.

nanamin
Jun 29, 2014, 05:47 AM
Does anyone have experience with EarthVPN? They seem to issue dedicated IPs if contacted.

Just want to find a solution just in case the current situation (not able to connect to pso2.jp) is permanent.

Ordy
Jun 29, 2014, 06:04 AM
It's kinda amazing how people here are ready to pay for a VPN service just because they can't wait a few more days .... after a week of downtime.

nanamin
Jun 29, 2014, 06:08 AM
Not that I would pay right away. I'm preparing, and doing some research ahead of time. My plan is if the situation doesn't change after a week or two, I'll pay for a good VPN. I mean some of these VPNs are less than $10 a month.

I'm from Japan, and I visit other Japanese websites as well, so I might be able to benefit in other ways by getting a secure VPN connection.

Sp-24
Jun 29, 2014, 06:09 AM
doing some research ahead of time
NOOOO stop fearmongering!

nanamin
Jun 29, 2014, 06:14 AM
I can't help (´・ω・`)

I mean if an European/Western version of PSO2 is ever released, than I would seriously require a VPN connection, since I'm not planning on switching from the JP version.