PDA

View Full Version : SEA Translation?

Oethe
Jun 29, 2014, 06:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried pulling the SEA translation for what hasn't been translated into the English patch yet? I have no idea how bad/good the SEA translation is though.

IndignationSWF
Jun 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
Forces became Wizards...

Daixsue
Jun 29, 2014, 06:18 PM
Forces became Wizards...

oi...

Shadowth117
Jun 29, 2014, 06:21 PM
All old lore references have basically been destroyed in that version and/or made generic. Force is "Wizard" for example. Its been consideted to take parts of the translation, but it hasn't been done.

Dinosaur
Jun 29, 2014, 06:40 PM
http://lparchive.org/Phantasy-Star-4/Update%203/32-Phantasy-Star-4181.jpg

Sp-24
Jun 29, 2014, 06:48 PM
Welp, Asiasoft does it again!

Shadowth117
Jun 29, 2014, 06:51 PM
Congrats on referencing PS rather than PSO.

Sychosis
Jun 29, 2014, 06:52 PM
Well, Rune certainly was a Wizard. He could use honest to God magic, not just techniques like kids these days.

Tenlade
Jun 29, 2014, 06:52 PM

didn't the original series have both techs and magic as two separate things? I remember him being able to cast both.
edit: well Sychosis awnsers my question.

Shadowth117
Jun 29, 2014, 06:56 PM
Techs were considered different than magic if I recall correctly. Pretty sure techs were always performed through some type of technology while magic was magic.

Still, PS and PSO aren't really the same deal in the end. Its more like Marathon to Halo then a direct reference.

BlankM
Jun 29, 2014, 06:57 PM
Good times. I remember PSO was originally just meant to be a Diablo clone and possibly a new IP for SEGA. Then one of the designers noticed the similarities of the monsters and decided to make the connection.

kyubey777
Jun 29, 2014, 07:15 PM
Monomate and other healing item become, Health drink, super health drink and full health drink

IndignationSWF
Jun 29, 2014, 07:19 PM
Welcome to Asiasoft's 'How to Butcher the Lore of a great franchise in 57 parts~Act One: So, about Wizards...'

landman
Jun 29, 2014, 07:20 PM
I can't be the only who has been noticing some changes in the English patch, now we are called Operatives, or an "EQ in the Naberian forest". Some of those things already come from the SEA translation and have been applied to the English patch. Other than some name changes, it is not a bad translation. Hoping to see Dragoni in the English patch some day too.

davenger
Jun 29, 2014, 07:21 PM
still using some of it might not be that bad of an idea,for one the renaming of items and 'wizards' can be fixed with a simple search and replace,and a crappy translation for non translated areas is better than nothing

Yden
Jun 29, 2014, 07:27 PM
Welcome to Asiasoft's 'How to Butcher the Lore of a great franchise in 57 parts~Act One: So, about Wizards...'

That's the thing though, is it actually a great franchise in SEA? I mean the main reason for localizations in general is to make it more accessible for the market and if most of the people in the SEA region haven't had any experience with the series before, then changes like wizard does make it easier to know what the fuck the class does at first glace.

IndignationSWF
Jun 29, 2014, 07:35 PM
That's the thing though, is it actually a great franchise in SEA? I mean the main reason for localizations in general is to make it more accessible for the market and if most of the people in the SEA region haven't had any experience with the series before, then changes like wizard does make it easier to know what the fuck the class does at first glace.

Here's the thing, in my opinion it wasn't a true localization but rather a generalization. A Localization is meant to make the existing product more comprehensible to the native populace that it's being ported to while also keeping the spirit intact. A lot of what I've seen from the SEA version boils down to a straight out replacement to the point where the original concept loses it's identity and becomes more of a standard mmo set in a future setting. Hell, the SEA version reads more like RF Online at times than PSO2. But that said, it's just my opinion.

WildarmsRE5
Jun 29, 2014, 07:40 PM
and a crappy translation for non translated areas is better than nothingall areas are translated.

SEA PSO2 is years behind.

Sychosis
Jun 29, 2014, 07:51 PM
Techniques were an invention of Lutz to bring quasi-magic to laymen who had neither the time nor talent to pick up real magic. They (used to) rely on a user's mental focus and required the user to be organic in nature. They seem to be much more akin to telekinetic manipulation than magic as we think of it.

Where magic would be simply conjuring a gout of flame from your hands, a technique would collect surrounding "flame photons" in the area and condense them until they formed a flame which would then be controlled in much the same way as a real fireball.

A more appropriate name would be telepath, or mentalist if you needed a "dumbed down" name as it were. Telepathy and mental themes have long been associated with techniques and forces. I guess it's hard to make the connection between telepath and shooting lightning bolts though.

Yutaka20
Jun 30, 2014, 03:22 AM
Hey dont forget the lagomites...(lilipians)
And our nite taco became pudding!!
I am WTF DOES TACO GOTTA DO WITH PUDDING?!
We didnt call it taco becos we want food name
Idiot asiasoft...

Kondibon
Jun 30, 2014, 03:34 AM
People talk about the stuff they did badly, but there's at least a few things they did well in my opinion, like some of the skill/PA names, Paradigm Matrix, Aptitude instead of dexterity/ability/skill. And my personal favorite referring to enemies as Hostiles.

I agree they totally borked things like item names, but that doesn't mean the whole translation is some sort of abomination. The only problem is that they're so far behind us that I doubt the english patch translation team is going to want to retroactively replace every instance of a specific word.

Drifting Fable
Jun 30, 2014, 03:50 AM
I don't know about you guys but I find the SEA translation Pati-cularly Tia-rrific.

ouo b

Kondibon
Jun 30, 2014, 03:53 AM
I don't know about you guys but I find the SEA translation Pati-cularly Tia-rrific.

ouo bhttp://i.imgur.com/b495IX2.gif