PDA

View Full Version : why do a lot of jpn players hate na players??

Meta77
Jun 30, 2014, 01:40 PM
Looking at some tweets and fb post I sense strong hate for some of us NA players. Why is that?

Dammy
Jun 30, 2014, 01:49 PM
not just jp, other regions dont like na players too
many reasons, i just dont want to start a ranting

nanamin
Jun 30, 2014, 01:52 PM
One of the non-racist reasons is that foreign connection causes latency or slowdowns. I personally think slowdowns in PSO2 is not that big of an issue though.

Sizustar
Jun 30, 2014, 01:55 PM
Most don't hate foreign players.
It's the vocal minorities, that like to blame foreigner for everything.

Similiar to the westboro churge in the west, or the extreme conservitive that blame the problem of the US on illegal immigrants.

Shadowth117
Jun 30, 2014, 01:57 PM
Lets get that "most" shit out of here for one thing. Vocal minority is always a thing.

Truth of it is most of them don't give a damn. But sometimes you'll see a good bunch of folks who had a bad experience with an English speaker one way or another. I've seen the other way around in some games too. It can happen anywhere really, but it feels pretty hurtful when you see mainly negative comments from one side. I'm more xenophilic myself, but not everyone is.

Aussei
Jun 30, 2014, 01:59 PM
The funny part about this is, North America is filled with a diversity of people. We're not all fucking white fat people. lol. It's just ignorance. Even in our own country we're all racist towards one another. Not all Japanese hate us though. Some are excited to meet Americans, some are just misinformed... It could be a number of reasons. Their impression might be that we're just rude ignorant, disrespectful, and inconsiderate of others, selfish. I'm not saying we are I'm just saying that's what they might think. It's like how white people think black people are all ghetto, uneducated, disrespectful, all wear baggy clothes, etc. Or like how people think mexicans are greedy, selfish, and came across the border illegally. Or some people think Japanese people are all nice, respectful, kind, welcoming, love anime and all eat sushi 24/7.

Some people don't help with impressions and stereotypes like that. In the end we're all fucking idiots. lol Anyone different from us has probably cause to be hated. I'M NOT SAYING THAT'S HOW I FEEL I'M JUST SAYING.

NoiseHERO
Jun 30, 2014, 02:13 PM
Why do people keep believing a lot of JP players care. <_>

Vetur
Jun 30, 2014, 02:15 PM
Well, here are some other possible reasons, among the ones that are already said:

They might have been unfortunate enough to have run into the rude foreigners who act just like rude Japanese people, except in English... a language they wouldn't understand, and that will cause them to get even more angry because they don't know if they're insulting them, and it's confusing and annoying for them to read/look at it, similarly to us seeing Portuguese or Russian in an English game's public chat.

Moreover, if they were even more unfortunate and ran into those same players but who also didn't know how to play the game a certain way and might un-knowingly ruin their multi-party quest or something, and they cannot understand each other so they can't teach each other.

I do not see this hate or tension in ships with only few English-players, so I can't be speaking out of experience, but because I'm able to understand/communicate with them, I can also understand how frustrating it'd be to have to deal with someone who can't. I often had to choose between spending time with Japanese friends, or English friends, because having both together can cause tension when you aren't translating everything being said and typing your own chat twice in each language. >.<

reaper527
Jun 30, 2014, 02:30 PM
I do not see this hate or tension in ships with only few English-players

i actually haven't even seen this hate or tension on ship 2 where there are tons of english players. that being said, i avoid b20 like the plague (well, except for right now, because b20 is a ghost town so when the game decides that it's funny dumping me in there, it's not worth the hassle of switching blocks and risking a d/c).

overall, in the lobbies and in the mp's i tend to see the english players and jpn players co-existing just fine. the only time i've ever had an issue with another player was with another english speaking player.

nanamin
Jun 30, 2014, 02:31 PM
Well, here are some other possible reasons, among the ones that are already said:

They might have been unfortunate enough to have run into the rude foreigners who act just like rude Japanese people, except in English... a language they wouldn't understand, and that will cause them to get even more angry because they don't know if they're insulting them, and it's confusing and annoying for them to read/look at it, similarly to us seeing Portuguese or Russian in an English game's public chat.

Moreover, if they were even more unfortunate and ran into those same players but who also didn't know how to play the game a certain way and might un-knowingly ruin their multi-party quest or something, and they cannot understand each other so they can't teach each other.

I do not see this hate or tension in ships with only few English-players, so I can't be speaking out of experience, but because I'm able to understand/communicate with them, I can also understand how frustrating it'd be to have to deal with someone who can't. I often had to choose between spending time with Japanese friends, or English friends, because having both together can cause tension when you aren't translating everything being said and typing your own chat twice in each language. >.<

I feel the same.

My mother is Japanese and father American. I grew up in the states as a small kid for 5 years, then lived in Japan for 24 years. Now I live in Europe.

I end up having to say the same thing three times. lol
Sometimes people ask me what my identity is, I answer them "I am an Earthling"

Vetur
Jun 30, 2014, 02:38 PM
I feel the same.

My mother is Japanese and father American. I grew up in the states as a small kid for 5 years, then lived in Japan for 24 years. Now I live in Europe.

I end up having to say the same thing three times. lol
Sometimes people ask me what my identity is, I answer them "I am an Earthling"

Yeah, it's really hard to type so much and repeat yourself, but if I don't, one side will feel left-out, and upset/confused. :(

That is actually similar/opposite to me. I was born in Okinawa and then moved to USA at 5 years old(then plan to move to Canada soon). XD
My mom's Japanese and my dad's Chinese-American(he's born and raised in USA)...
It can be hard to explain that to Japanese people, because they'll initially think I'm either half-Japanese and half-American(white), or half-Japanese and half-Chinese(not in America). @_@

nanamin
Jun 30, 2014, 02:42 PM
Cool, so we're both Earthlings!

Gama
Jun 30, 2014, 02:43 PM
never had issues problems with japanese players, usually recieve friend requests from japanese players.

Blame my dashing good looks.

SakoHaruo
Jun 30, 2014, 02:45 PM
Lol this thread. You much be tired.

That feel when the Sega logo appears on my screen. So good. o3o

I bet ya miss that feeling, don't ya? Don't worry, though, I can experience it for the both of us. o3o

Why do people keep believing a lot of JP players care. <_>

This guy gets it.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jun 30, 2014, 02:47 PM
i honestly understand the hatred towards my own kind the hatred alot of it comes from the NA government cause they act like a bunch of 3 year olds let's just say the NA government does alot of pointless things that pisses other countries off

now the other part comes from alot of the drunks and the fact that NA has some of the highest crome rate in the world

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 02:48 PM
I've had very little experience with xenophobic JP players luckily. Most are more than willing to have fun with others even if you're only about to communicate via Symbol Arts.

Jei182
Jun 30, 2014, 03:02 PM
I haven't seen or played with any JP players that hate all NA players, but sometimes being in B20 for a few seconds I can understand why some would feel that way.

Yden
Jun 30, 2014, 03:05 PM
I'd imagine the hate for foreign players is the same type of hate that western MMOs have for BR players.

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 03:13 PM
THe only people on MMOs that I dislike are RMT abusers.

fruiteaterz
Jun 30, 2014, 03:18 PM
it all sums down to point zero. we must reach the root in order to understand the complexity of human nature. respectfully and in all delicacy i dear to tear off the middle fingers of anyone that are brutal and racist toward me while keeping my calm and cheerful smile =)

Macman
Jun 30, 2014, 03:29 PM
Why? Because the most prominent example was b20, full of incredibly rude people who were bad at the game and dead weight in every emergency quest.

Yes there are decent NA players, but they don't stand out.

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 03:32 PM
Why? Because the most prominent example was b20, full of incredibly rude people who were bad at the game and dead weight in every emergency quest.

Yes there are decent NA players, but they don't stand out.

Again, you're talking about the vocal minority. It's one Block with a more let's say...relaxed culture, but they don't speak for everyone who plays. The people I play with on Block 8 are usually very helpful and bust their asses when it comes time for an EQ.

AOI_Tifa_Lockhart
Jun 30, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm from UK and hate most Americans, loud mouthed arseholes. Sorry.

Tifa

SakoHaruo
Jun 30, 2014, 03:49 PM
I'm from UK and hate most Americans, loud mouthed arseholes. Sorry.

Tifa

I can't take away everyone's waifu and resources but we sure can express our hate towards each other.

Thanks SP-24

Macman
Jun 30, 2014, 03:50 PM
Again, you're talking about the vocal minority.
Hey, guess what? They're vocal; it doesn't matter in the slightest if they're a minority (I'm willing to believe they're 50% of the EN community to be honest at this point), they're the most noticeable out of anyone, so that's what people base their opinions out of us.

Is it right? No, but it's the truth.

ShawnLeeGuku
Jun 30, 2014, 03:52 PM
I've been out of the US once in my life, stayed in New Zealand for a few months, and I can say I got some of that feeling there. They seemed to like me well enough over there, but had a distaste for the US as a whole. So it's not just Japan, it's more or less the rest of the world that feels that way.

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 03:57 PM
Hey, guess what? They're vocal; it doesn't matter in the slightest if they're a minority (I'm willing to believe they're 50% of the EN community to be honest at this point), they're the most noticeable out of anyone, so that's what people base their opinions out of us.

This is kind of the issue here, everyone makes assumptions that become a prejudice. Not to mention that they tend to ignore their own hypocrisy in favor of that prejudice. Humans are social creatures, but we regress to cavemen when we don't understand something.

Aussei
Jun 30, 2014, 03:58 PM
We're all human though.

Zysets
Jun 30, 2014, 04:06 PM
I've played with JP players, and I've had a great time, even used my very limited Japanese small talk and had a good time. I'm an English speaking North American, and even so I find some people on B-20 to be the worst. This isn't that they hate foreigners, this is that more than a few are really obnoxious, and you know, it's easier to just use a blanket term like "foreigners" or "Americans" when talking about part of a group.

Erza
Jun 30, 2014, 04:21 PM
I've played with JP players, and I've had a great time, even used my very limited Japanese small talk and had a good time. I'm an English speaking North American, and even so I find some people on B-20 to be the worst. This isn't that they hate foreigners, this is that more than a few are really obnoxious, and you know, it's easier to just use a blanket term like "foreigners" or "Americans" when talking about part of a group.

blanket term like B20

BIG OLAF
Jun 30, 2014, 04:22 PM

Going to g'head and second this. The reason that "Westerners" are almost universally despised is due to [negative] cultural differences that a lot of Asian players just really don't get.

Western players are generally loud, obnoxious, and don't hold anything back, whilst Asian players are generally more quiet, reserved, concise, and like to keep things "appropriate."

So, yes, it's all generalities, and the "don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch" idiom and whatnot, but, hey, it's too late for all that. The loud, annoying, stupid players were just that: loud. Examples were made and shown, and now here we are.

Now we all suffer for it. Well, at least most of us.

Meta77
Jun 30, 2014, 04:45 PM
Just got off work. Goodness you guys replied a lot. I will agree with the above that most Asian players ive had the joy to play with are rather quiet. no chatting in the game but just simple do the mission. dance in lobbies and run more missions.

nanamin
Jun 30, 2014, 04:48 PM
I think it's more to do with the language barrier. How can you be loud if you can't speak the language. lol

When I play with my Japanese friends on PSO2, we usually spend hours just chatting. We usually use whisper chat so it's not annoying for other people.

Vetur
Jun 30, 2014, 04:59 PM

I do notice there's English players pretty much blaming themselves for this kind of thing, more than I see actual Japanese players complaining. Also, if Japanese players say "foreigners", it doesn't automatically mean westerners, it can also mean Korean and Chinese, among others(which in general, more Japanese are against than westerners).

To anyone concerned, as long as you're courteous to those aronud you and aren't running around spamming chat or spewing vulgarities, you're not doing any harm or causing people to hate you.
When it comes to Multi-parties, it may be good to try and research info, though. Of course even Japanese players can be the dead weight at times, not just foreigners, just make effort to learn.

Skize
Jun 30, 2014, 05:00 PM
Lol, Meta must still be new to the internet and online gaming. I can tell you that JP players don't just hate NA, they don't like foreigners in general. It's the same reasons why people hate BR players in general.

To be honest, Korea is the same way as Japan is off and online. Our cultures revolved around the notions of being the best and having a ton of useless pride.

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 05:01 PM
I do notice there's English players pretty much blaming themselves for this kind of thing, more than I see actual Japanese players complaining. Also, if Japanese players say "foreigners", it doesn't automatically mean westerners, it can also mean Korean and Chinese, among others(which in general, more Japanese are against than westerners).

They REALLY hate the Chinese man, History is very much still alive on that. @_@

Vetur
Jun 30, 2014, 05:06 PM
They REALLY hate the Chinese man, History is very much still alive on that. @_@

Yeah, I noticed that even the friendly Japanese I have met, some have this passive-aggressive attitude towards China and/or Korea, while being fine with America and Europe and everywhere else.
Though I also have met some who were better than that, and simply didn't like their governments but were cool with their people.

Erza
Jun 30, 2014, 05:17 PM
i hate all humans equally, if you are one ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5foZIKuEWQ

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 05:26 PM
i hate all humans equally, if you are one ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5foZIKuEWQ

I'm a Duman thank you very much >_> *huffs and sips space tea*

Meta77
Jun 30, 2014, 07:53 PM
Lol, Meta must still be new to the internet and online gaming. I can tell you that JP players don't just hate NA, they don't like foreigners in general. It's the same reasons why people hate BR players in general.

To be honest, Korea is the same way as Japan is off and online. Our cultures revolved around the notions of being the best and having a ton of useless pride.

Really. Seeing as 1. I joined this site a whole 6 years before you. Ran a guild on psu, ran my own website. Minored in CIS and I am a frequent on many websites across the net it baffles me how you came to that conclusion from this topic alone !.!

mikeneko
Jun 30, 2014, 07:59 PM
Leeching, hacking, rmt, ddos. That's why.

Reyva
Jun 30, 2014, 08:03 PM
Lol I'm from the U.S and hate the people in the U.S. Doesn't help that I live in one of the top fattest states in the USA (TN, I think Alabama is still #1). If we wanted to go down the race path, I would love to, but I'll keep it clean. Wasn't like I asked to be born in the U.S either.

Oh and for every person who has said BRs need to get the hell out of "x game" in the past, think of this as the JP saying get the hell out of PSO2 you dirty foreigner. I see "westerners" saying that in games all the time.

IndignationSWF
Jun 30, 2014, 08:05 PM
Two Words: Willful Ignorance. The old 'I've have bad experiences so screw them all!' chestnut, it can happen to anyone.

Zysets
Jun 30, 2014, 08:40 PM
blanket term like B20

I said some people on B20. Hehe got ya there

BIG OLAF
Jun 30, 2014, 08:43 PM
Lol I'm from the U.S and hate the people in the U.S. Doesn't help that I live in one of the top fattest states in the USA (TN, I think Alabama is still #1). If we wanted to go down the race path, I would love to, but I'll keep it clean. Wasn't like I asked to be born in the U.S either.

Oh and for every person who has said BRs need to get the hell out of "x game" in the past, think of this as the JP saying get the hell out of PSO2 you dirty foreigner. I see "westerners" saying that in games all the time.

Eugh, getting worse. I'll give this one a 4/10.

GHNeko
Jun 30, 2014, 09:03 PM
OLAF, you're too kind.

No.

Really.

Cortte
Jun 30, 2014, 10:12 PM
The first time I had two JP players in my party who bothered talking to me they were so extremely nice to me. One of them spoke fluent English and had a friend who spoke very little, so at times he would help us talk to each other by translating. After we do a few missions he signs off, but the girl who spoke little English was so interested in learning the language that we traded words and phrases to each other before I had to leave. It was a very pleasant and amazing experience. I would kill for linked servers just for this sort of relationship building mechanic.

On the opposite end I was running in a 12 man EQ, and we happen to fail a code. I dunno what lead the JP player to think it was my fault. Maybe the fact that my name had western letters in the name as opposed to eastern characters. But he was furious with me. "Stupid Gaijin! It's all your fault!" I just tried to calm him down saying "These things happen man, it wasn't really anyone's fault." He just kept going and ranting. Till eventually he ended up dying. As luck would have it I happened to be the one to revive him, and he gave me a thank you and just shut his mouth for the rest of the run.

A lot of it to me makes me feel like they may just be intimidated by how B-20 operates socially. All caps, and almost constant spamming. It's a very un Japanese way to go about things. Might feel pretty unsettling. I've heard worse stories from games in FFXI, such as people getting furious at English players because in JP servers it is considered rude to examine their gear.

Skize
Jun 30, 2014, 10:35 PM
Good grief, you know; the thread had only a touch of naivety, but it's getting worse. You all need to educate yourself on how Japanese culture truly is and stop being fooled by the exterior demeanor of these "nice" JP players. I'm not saying all of them are fake, but wow. Un-Japanese way to go about things just cause they're intimidated? That's most ridiculous load of crap I've heard in a while...

ShawnLeeGuku
Jun 30, 2014, 11:52 PM
Good grief, you know; the thread had only a touch of naivety, but it's getting worse. You all need to educate yourself on how Japanese culture truly is and stop being fooled by the exterior demeanor of these "nice" JP players. I'm not saying all of them are fake, but wow. Un-Japanese way to go about things just cause they're intimidated? That's most ridiculous load of crap I've heard in a while...

Care to elaborate? I admit I am somewhat naive to Japanese culture, so I'd like to understand what you mean by this.

Sizustar
Jun 30, 2014, 11:56 PM
Care to elaborate? I admit I am somewhat naive to Japanese culture, so I'd like to understand what you mean by this.

He mean the public face and private face, it's an Asian cultulre that is common among Japanese, Chinese, Korean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_%28sociological_concept%29
http://goasia.about.com/od/Customs-and-Traditions/a/Saving-Face.htm

Angelo
Jul 1, 2014, 12:47 AM
NA players complain about BR players.

To the rest of the world NA are the BRs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ADX1opI7Vg

Tivor
Jul 1, 2014, 01:15 AM
I've read the second link posted by Sizustar, and have to say: If the problems it causes are just as the examples, it causes too much complications for everyday life. Some parts are pretty standard, like respecting the elders and the authority, or criticize the other party in particular instead of in public, but it's bullshit that you can't tell someone they're wrong if you can prove that they're wrong, the only result is that people keep doing or saying the wrong things when in fact they should be corrected. Of course, do it politely and proving by reason that the other party is wrong if that's the case, but the other party must accept the fact that they're wrong and learn from it, that's the "honorable thing to do".

From what I've learnt, being incapable of admitting you're wrong is childish.

Cortte
Jul 1, 2014, 01:19 AM

I wasn't saying THEY we acting un japanese in response to us. I am saying OUR behavior is un japanese, and in some cases can cause them to be offended, or intimidated. About a month ago if you stepped into B-20 you would see people going "OHHH HERRO?! U RIK-U PRAY PSO TZUU??" I've out right told people to stop when I see stuff like that, but a lot of good it does because it just makes them go harder. Even if some of these players are joking, not ALL JPs are gonna get that because there is a cultural boundary.

Then the people who don't see this stuff going on are curious as to why JPs hate us? Well it's because some english players set a crap example. We gotta remember this is THEIR game we are playing. The least we can do is respect them a little.

Macman
Jul 1, 2014, 01:26 AM
Even if some of these players are joking, not ALL JPs are gonna get that because there is a cultural boundary.
Even if they are joking, they aren't funny. That stuff you quoted was just flat-out racism. Next you'll tell me they joke about blacks and watermelo---oh wait they do. They're trying to be ironic and edgy, but they just look retarded and racist. That's why they get all uppity when you ask them to stop, nothing offends people more than when you disagree with their 'humor.'

If it's not retarded 14 year olds trying to be edgy, it's weird anime roleplayers and pedophiles.
I hate this game's fanbase so much.

GHNeko
Jul 1, 2014, 01:30 AM
"Woah chill out man. It was just a joke. Besides it's just a game. If you dont like it, you can just block me or sign off. Besides, why should I even listen to you. I'm just trying to have fun. There's no need to be so serious. It's no big deal bro. You're overreacting. People joke like this all the time. They're just words."

Tivor
Jul 1, 2014, 01:35 AM
Even if they are joking, they aren't funny. That stuff you quoted was just flat-out racism. Next you'll tell me they joke about blacks and watermelo---oh wait they do. They're trying to be ironic and edgy, but they just look retarded and racist. That's why they get all uppity when you ask them to stop, nothing offends people more than when you disagree with their 'humor.'

If it's not retarded 14 year olds trying to be edgy, it's weird anime roleplayers and pedophiles.
I hate this game's fanbase so much.

^ This. Really agreeing, that's plain racism. It's like they're that american boxer in the movie Ip-Man 2 that mocks Ip Man and the chinese in their own country, except the people being mocked are japanese, and instead of boxing it's an MMO.

EDIT: GHNeko ninja'd me. xD but the comment applies to what GHNeko said as well, he gave a really good example.

EDIT 2: How many movies about Ip Man there is? I couldn't remember the name of the one I said in the example, and went through 3 movies to get the right one...

Macman
Jul 1, 2014, 01:35 AM
But blacklisting won't stop them from shitting up my TD and Falz runs. ;_;

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2014, 01:43 AM
I've read the second link posted by Sizustar, and have to say: If the problems it causes are just as the examples, it causes too much complications for everyday life. Some parts are pretty standard, like respecting the elders and the authority, or criticize the other party in particular instead of in public, but it's bullshit that you can't tell someone they're wrong if you can prove that they're wrong, the only result is that people keep doing or saying the wrong things when in fact they should be corrected. Of course, do it politely and proving by reason that the other party is wrong if that's the case, but the other party must accept the fact that they're wrong and learn from it, that's the "honorable thing to do".

From what I've learnt, being incapable of admitting you're wrong is childish.
Decided to check those articles...

You ask someone older than you for directions to a landmark. Rather than losing face by telling you that he does not know how to get there, the man confidently points you in the wrong direction!
lol

Tivor
Jul 1, 2014, 01:57 AM
That's precisely my point. If that isn't childish, I don't know what it is.

And that's because I'm trying to refrain from saying worse things.

TaigaUC
Jul 1, 2014, 01:59 AM
Although in the West we tend to appreciate people who are "brutally honest" or who get to the point quickly, the opposite holds true in Asia.
It's kinda been the opposite for me. Westerners constantly complain that I'm too blunt.
When I talk about the news or facts of life (not even complaining), they get upset and say I'm "ranting" without paying attention to anything I said.
I've met tons of Westerners who, rather than admit they've done something wrong, desperately try to find reasons to justify their bad behavior.
One of the usual tricks (also commonly used by politicians) is to attack accusers/others in an attempt to make themselves look less terrible (ie. misdirection of blame).
The sad part is other Western people either don't care, or they fall for it (because they can't seem to pay attention to more than one thing at a time).

They also hate being told they're wrong (or told anything they don't want to believe), and go into massive denial.
For example, during an art course I once attended (and left, because it sucked) the lecturer said it wasn't possible to do something in Photoshop.
I knew it was possible, so I tried to tell him politely, and he just snapped - threw a tantrum, yelled at and tried to ridicule me in front of the class.
Yeah.. REAL mature. The guy was probably 2-3 times my age at the time. An industry professional, too.

On another occasion, I had a subject with different people handling lecture and class.
They said conflicting things on how we should approach a project. This, of course, led to a problem.
When I tried to clarify the issue between them, they accused me of trying to get the lecturers to fight each other. Yeah... REAL mature.
The above are just two examples. I've had plenty more similar experiences, including lecturers and teachers at many other institutes.
Various teachers have, on multiple occasions, told me that I "must not undermine the superiority of the teacher in the classroom" by correcting their mistakes.
Personally, I like students to have a good two-way relationship with their teacher. Students can teach the teacher new things; nobody knows everything.

I've met so many Westerners (both in real life and online) who pretend to be nice on the outside, but constantly backstab, badmouth, slander and use everyone at every opportunity.
It kinda shocks me to what lengths they go to present a "pleasant" exterior towards people they absolutely despise and loathe.
By comparison, my dealings with JP people have been pretty reasonable and pleasant, so far.
Can't say much about the other Asian countries though.

Oh, but the "get to the point quickly" part is correct. Westerners seem to HATE things that aren't simple.
Anytime I try to go into detail about anything, people get upset. They just want yes or no, black or white.
They don't care about the hows or the whys or the what fors, they just want a quick answer/resolution so they can move on.
Doesn't matter if a problem is never truly solved, everyone just wants to put it behind them ASAP.
Hmm.. maybe not just a Western thing... perhaps more of a human thing.
I think people in general are just assholes.

tl;dr: People in general are assholes.

Tivor
Jul 1, 2014, 02:12 AM
Where I do live being "bluntly honest" isn't much appreciated, also, I mostly like it, though. And here people do talk a lot behind others backs while acting nice in front of them, but that's more related to some social classes in here (mainly new medium-high or new riches) than to people here in general.

I tend to avoid people that flatters too much. They're mostly fake.

ShawnLeeGuku
Jul 1, 2014, 02:28 AM
Going by this, I can't help but feel like an IP ban might be imminent just because letting the gaijin back on their game after (maybe) some westerners are behind the DDoS, SOJ would be losing face.

But since there's no concrete evidence of an IP ban, I prefer to call this Schrödinger's ban, we just haven't opened the box yet.

IndignationSWF
Jul 1, 2014, 03:05 AM
Honestly we're running in circles here.

Jungo Torii
Jul 1, 2014, 03:55 AM
Pretty sure most JP players don't actually care enough to say anything about the NA (and other foreign) presences in PSO2.

I've played since open beta and I think I've only seen one instance of vocal hate from JP players to the foreign crowd. In fact, most of the time attempted communication between JP and foreign players (even if only through symbol arts) has been pretty darn amicable in general. But that's just personal experience so I guess it isn't worth too much.

Might just be a matter of passive-aggressiveness...or people are massively overestimating how the majority of the JP playerbase feels.

Akakomuma
Jul 1, 2014, 06:46 AM
I've never had any issues with Japanese players nor have they ever 'hated' on me for being "NA player", not that doesn't mean there isn't prejudice in this world but that's hardly because they are Japanese. I notice people fighting most of the time on B20, I noticed especially on the 4th Floor in PSU and I've noticed it all over the internet. More often then not, if someone dislikes you, they'll mention a part about you and insult or mention their distaste.

Just like there is a very loud and vocal english community on B20 or 4th Floor in PSU that do nothing but argue and throw out porn and profanity at each other, there is also people who will be like that on all sides and maybe those people just had bad experience with NA players so they became prejudice unfairly. I'm going in circles here, but the point is that this is just how certain people are, not everyone is like this.

MattKnight
Jul 1, 2014, 07:25 AM
Looking at some tweets and fb post I sense strong hate for some of us NA players. Why is that?

They racist that's why.

Erza
Jul 1, 2014, 07:30 AM
must really suck to be most of you .. i mean a white gurl/guy from NA and then all of a sudden being confronted with all that racist hate from asian people, i cant even imagine

Dammy
Jul 1, 2014, 07:31 AM
most of ppl here dont realise its not about speaking english and such , its about actual gameplay

Meta77
Jul 1, 2014, 08:25 AM
must really suck to be most of you .. i mean a white gurl/guy from NA and then all of a sudden being confronted with all that racist hate from asian people, i cant even imagine

Im not white lol

gaijin_punch
Jul 1, 2014, 09:30 AM
IF any of the JP players remember the DC/GC days when the servers were connected, then that's reason enough to hate.

In all seriousness, any hate is going to stem from 1) language barrier. 2) inability to "follow rules". Take that last bit how you want, but Japanese are pros at conformity, and non-Japanese (living in Japan) are known to not conform. For the most part it's not a problem (gentei quest, and shit like that). But for TA, Extreme, or Advanced, there's very often instructions of how the room leader wants the run to go (sometimes very detailed). If you can't read that, don't bother going in. It's quite irksome on their side. Not enough to be dickheads, but hey, those people exist. In their minds you should at least learn to read a bit. Otaku culture has spread enough that you should feel bad if you can't read a lick of Japanese and play a Japanese-centric game.

I'll bet the internet told you that.

minim
Jul 1, 2014, 11:36 AM
It's like how white people think black people are all ghetto, uneducated, disrespectful, all wear baggy clothes, etc.

Most 'white' people don't think this. And not only 'white' people think this. Various tan people and 'yellow' people also do. In fact, 'yellow' people probably think this at a higher rate than 'white' people do.

Gama
Jul 1, 2014, 11:47 AM
i'm white and i dont think like that, yes theres a big number of said racial group bellonging to said stereotype but, you can say that about any race.

White people - white trash,hillbilly's,rednecks,"steaks",cup'o milk, drug adicts,std spreaders.

Black people - ghetto,jah stonners,drug adicts,std spreaders,good at sports, big schlongs, curly afro, slavery, should i continue?

Asian - Yellow people,chin chon chan, pulled eyes, small genitals, short, look alike...

Indian - "dirty" smelly, greedy, liars...

wich is incredibly ignorant and sad.

this is based on what i see on my own country, so ill bet it differs, its sad but that's how the majority of idiots think and see racial stereotypes.

i myself was pursued due to xenophobia for being born in brazil. "second rate human being to manny portuguese people"

school was fun...

personaly i adore the japanese culture, and in some cases japanese players where very pleased to know that i'm portuguese. but others... they stopped talking.

ArataWata
Jul 1, 2014, 12:33 PM
Because the idiots outshine those whose spark any positive light on the English community.

sabitsuki
Jul 1, 2014, 12:41 PM
How'bout stop treating the 2ch crowd as mainstream eh

SilkaN
Jul 1, 2014, 12:50 PM
Most people here think too highly of the Japanese community.
By all means, I don't want to insult them.
It's just that people here think that most Japanese players do not care about the Western community. If there are some who have a grudge against westerners, they won't tell you.
They won't say: "F*ck off dirty gaijin player, go play on your own servers! Whoops! There are none! wwwww" Don't assume they don't talk about you openly. They'll talk behind your back.

Remember: This only describes the Japanese players who hate Westerners. I have Japanese players in my friendlist that love to talk to us (or rather: try to communicate with us) and welcome us. They are nothing like the ones mentioned above, who are, in my opinion, just a vocal minority.

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2014, 12:59 PM
i'm white and i dont think like that, yes theres a big number of said racial group bellonging to said stereotype but, you can say that about any race.

White people - white trash,hillbilly's,rednecks,"steaks",cup'o milk, drug adicts,std spreaders.

Black people - ghetto,jah stonners,drug adicts,std spreaders,good at sports, big schlongs, curly afro, slavery, should i continue?

Asian - Yellow people,chin chon chan, pulled eyes, small genitals, short, look alike...

Indian - "dirty" smelly, greedy, liars...

wich is incredibly ignorant and sad.

this is based on what i see on my own country, so ill bet it differs, its sad but that's how the majority of idiots think and see racial stereotypes.

i myself was pursued due to xenophobia for being born in brazil. "second rate human being to manny portuguese people"

school was fun...

personaly i adore the japanese culture, and in some cases japanese players where very pleased to know that i'm portuguese. but others... they stopped talking.

AYY!!

WHY'D BLACK PEOPLE HAVE LONGEST AND POTENTIALLY LONGER LIST?!

AND WHATS WRONG WITH AFROS? D<

Meta77
Jul 1, 2014, 01:06 PM
I didn't gather this idea from 2ch I don't really know what that site is. I went once for gigantic pudding joke

Gama
Jul 1, 2014, 01:11 PM
AYY!!

WHY'D BLACK PEOPLE HAVE LONGEST AND POTENTIALLY LONGER LIST?!

AND WHATS WRONG WITH AFROS? D<

well its the race that's most stereotyped here.

its kinda sad since slavery was abolished in portugal in 1761... "not in the colonies unfortunatly, that took a bit more time..."

the us had its declaration of independence in 1776 to give some... prespective.

edit:

its sad because its been this long and people are still racist here.

also i like afros, my ex had one.

fluffy.

MDashK
Jul 1, 2014, 01:27 PM
Ah... Didn't notice you are from Portugal too... XD

NoiseHERO
Jul 1, 2014, 01:28 PM
well its the race that's most stereotyped here.

its kinda sad since slavery was abolished in portugal in 1761... "not in the colonies unfortunatly, that took a bit more time..."

the us had its declaration of independence in 1776 to give some... prespective.

I'ma go to portugal and beat everyone up-

wait black people are pretty horrible.

fishthefish89
Jul 1, 2014, 01:28 PM
Most don't hate foreign players.
It's the vocal minorities, that like to blame foreigner for everything.

Similiar to the westboro churge in the west, or the extreme conservitive that blame the problem of the US on illegal immigrants.

I couldn't agree more with this. The vocal minority for games blow everything out of proportion. I have been playing World of Warcraft since 2006 and the "vocal minority" for that game is the worst x.x.

MDashK
Jul 1, 2014, 01:47 PM

... What are you talking about.

Black ppl are as equal as white ppl and everyone else in the globe (my point of view).

One of my best friends is black. Not only that but the guy is also super smart. Always had great scores in exams at school. And he has a way to see life like no one else I've seen to date.

On the other hand, in my city... There are so MANY DUMB PEOPLE... All white must say.

No, i'm not black, I'm white.

My point is: There's no difference. The difference is: we are all different people, different education, different inteligence, different roots...

Meta77
Jul 1, 2014, 04:29 PM
Whoa now I didnt mean to bring out the racist in anyone :/

Gama
Jul 1, 2014, 04:38 PM
Ah... Didn't notice you are from Portugal too... XD

\o/ join the micro minority on pso2!

Gama
Jul 1, 2014, 04:42 PM
Edit D: sorry double posted!!!!

Whoa now I didnt mean to bring out the racist in anyone :/

i wouldnt take it very seriously, since people try to be funny.

Try.

its the internet after all.

you didnt bring the racist its just a discussion, dont worry about it. i think pso-w has a wide variety of races and no one gives a fudge about it.

theyre not horrible come on!

Fluffy afro+manly manlyness+big everything.

theyre yummy.

Tivor
Jul 1, 2014, 08:51 PM
It's depressing how here in Brazil, where I am from and where I live, even though some people see us like "That big warm mix of races and love and etc", prejudice here is big. BIG time. Almost always behind the backs, or done in subtle ways, but a lot of times, not that much.

For example, there's a protest going on in the city I live, against an urbanistic project that's flawed and illegal. The prefecture and the police was bought by the companies behind that project, and the police was instructed to beat the protesting people badly.

But the only one arrested was a black guy, the only one that was there. He was poor but was doing what he could to help people during the occupations, and he was there because people also helped him with food. The police arrested him saying he had a molotov, but that was according to a police officer only, and they had no proof. But the guy was arrested all the same. He only got released because of public pressure.

I am actually white, having italian, spanish and portuguese heritage. My girlfriend has a pardo father, white mother and native american heritage. What makes me a little relieved is that usually in public universities, where we study, people are more aware about the problems of racism and they're more conscious, but on most companies, the whiter the better, still today. Maybe things will get slowly better.

GHNeko
Jul 1, 2014, 09:09 PM
theyre not horrible come on!

Fluffy afro+manly manlyness+big everything.

theyre yummy.

i-i'm not sure how to feel about this part of the post...