PDA

View Full Version : PZ or Dedicated VPN?

MegaRocker1987
Jul 1, 2014, 07:50 AM
Which one are you going with after maintenance on 7/2? PZ or dedicated VPN if we are still having this same problem? If not then we play normally thats all. Feel free to post your opinions and concerns and please keep it clean thank you. :)

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 07:53 AM
Not an answer to the OP, but I would like to know if we used a dedicated VPN, would the MAC address be shared? If the MAC is going to be shared with dedicated VPN, then I might as well go with PZ. On the other hand I still have yet to give 3G mobile connections (or better yet 4G) a try, and if this works, I reckon it's slow but the safest.

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2014, 08:02 AM
Your network adapter's MAC address is something that's exclusive to your PC (or at least it's supposed to be; but, with over 200 trillions possible MAC addresses, chances that you share one with anybody else are a little slim). I can't really say whether a VPN replaces it or not, but there is little reason to. It can act as your unique ID, but that's about it, since, unlike your IP, MAC doesn't contain any vital information, such as where it comes from. Well, it does indirectly say "China", but that's about it.

And you can just spoof it if needed. Unlike IP, there's no repercussions for doing that beyond a possibility of Gameguard noticing that you did that.

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 08:10 AM
Your network adapter's MAC address is something that's exclusive to your PC (or at least it's supposed to be; but, with over 200 trillions possible MAC addresses, chances that you share one with anybody else are a little slim). I can't really say whether a VPN replaces it or not, but there is little reason to. It can act as your unique ID, but that's about it, since, unlike your IP, MAC doesn't contain any vital information, such as where it comes from. Well, it does indirectly say "China", but that's about it.

And you can just spoof it if needed. Unlike IP, there's no repercussions for doing that beyond a possibility of Gameguard noticing that you did that.

Thanks for clarifying that. If so (no shared MAC on dedicated VPN), wouldn't a dedicated VPN service be much safer than PZ, since we've already confirmed that PZ uses a shared IP?

I don't get it, if using a dedicated VPN, it would mean the IP and MAC is unique to you, thus no chance of getting banned. Or am I missing something?

Sp-24
Jul 1, 2014, 08:19 AM
I guess a dedicated VPN is safer than a free one, since it won't set off any red flags for Sega when a lot of people log in from the same IP. But it's most likely more expensive as well. And I don't remember if there was a word about it in PSO2 ToS, but something tells me that Sega doesn't like VPNs, so all the standard risks of playing with one still apply if they find out that the IP range that you are using belongs to a foreign VPN service.

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 10:43 AM
A dedicated VPN is the more permanent solution. I pay $20 a month for my current one, and get a static IP address no one else has, and my connection is extremely fast (16mbps down from Tokyo, and Im in Texas, ~190 ping).

Yamishi
Jul 1, 2014, 10:55 AM
A dedicated VPN is the more permanent solution. I pay $20 a month for my current one, and get a static IP address no one else has, and my connection is extremely fast (16mbps down from Tokyo, and Im in Texas, ~190 ping).

Which service do you use?

IndigoNovember
Jul 1, 2014, 11:06 AM
If Ping Zapper lets me stay logged in longer before disconnecting me, then Ping Zapper or vice-versa.

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 11:07 AM
Which service do you use?
Getting a service from my Dad's workplace so it's not available to the public, but basically just email whatever dedicated VPN providers you find online and ask them if they have dedicated VPNs with static IP IN japan. I had emailed PureVPN earlier and while their website claimed they had dedicated IP service, when I emailed them they said they didn't offer that for Tokyo servers. So just keep that in mind before doing any purchase and make sure you email and stay informed. Best of luck, hopefully there won't be a need for one.

Husq
Jul 1, 2014, 11:16 AM
Some vpn service provider offers the option to login to their servers directly using a router, if one's router supports it. This basically means you can use a foreign IP for your consoles.
Put it that way if you play or planning to play a lot of import or foreign games on consoles and PC a vpn with static IP would be more useful than software like wtfast, pingzapper, battleping aso.

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 11:45 AM
Getting a service from my Dad's workplace so it's not available to the public, but basically just email whatever dedicated VPN providers you find online and ask them if they have dedicated VPNs with static IP IN japan. I had emailed PureVPN earlier and while their website claimed they had static IP service, when I emailed them they said they didn't offer that for Tokyo servers. So just keep that in mind before doing any purchase and make sure you email and stay informed. Best of luck, hopefully there won't be a need for one.

https://torguard.net/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-shared-and-dedicated-ip-vpn-service/

It says in this link that "static ip" is shared...
I'm confused (;_;)

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 12:13 PM
https://torguard.net/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-shared-and-dedicated-ip-vpn-service/

It says in this link that "static ip" is shared...
I'm confused (;_;)
Right, sorry if I was not clear. You need to make sure your VPN is both static and dedicated, although for the latter, the former is often true. But yes, you want a dedicated VPN that only you will access, but you want to make sure your VPN will not assign you a personal IP address that changes often. Will edit previous post.

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 12:20 PM
This is the email I sent to various providers:
Hello,
I have various questions regarding this service. My questions are:
I am primarily interested in using this VPN to access Japanese-restricted content. (I am in the US). Is the IP address given to me once I connect to Japan using your VPN a static IP address? Also, is this IP address given only to myself or do several others use the same IP address from Japan?
I would like a static IP address that is only given to myself, so that I may log into Japanese game servers and make sure that I am not logging in from a different location each time, and also make sure that there is no one else connecting from the same IP address I am. Does your service work for this purpose?

They usually respond and tell if they can provide this, and what package to order.

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks mate, if all goes wrong tomorrow, and my test with mobile 3G connection fails, I think I'll go for the VPN service with dedicated IP.

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 12:32 PM
Best of luck.

EspeonageTieler
Jul 1, 2014, 12:33 PM
i have yet to try either but PZ sounds nice to me i cant be asked to pay for a vpn i play pos2 because its free and im not gonna put money into a game i can get banned at for anytime just for not be the superior master race of japanese

BenekeSmith
Jul 1, 2014, 12:35 PM
Well good luck regardless.

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 12:44 PM
i have yet to try either but PZ sounds nice to me i cant be asked to pay for a vpn i play pos2 because its free and im not gonna put money into a game i can get banned at for anytime just for not be the superior master race of japanese

Don't forget there are Japanese people who live outside of Japan like me.... that are suffering.
This is not a matter of race, and if there is anyone to blame, its the one that attacked SEGA.

Searaphim
Jul 1, 2014, 01:50 PM
Ping Zapper is a definite yes and is the safest way if you have to choose between that or a free VPN (both are free). On the other hand though, a dedicated VPN is more useful and less tedious than Ping Zapper once it's set-up. By the way, Ping Zapper doesn't change your IP.

Zysets
Jul 1, 2014, 02:02 PM
I've used both now, Free VPN and Ping Zapper, and I'm definitely finding Ping Zapper to be a lot better and easier to set up. I could go with a payed VPN, but I'n not paying just to play a free game.

nanamin
Jul 1, 2014, 02:15 PM
Ping Zapper is a definite yes and is the safest way if you have to choose between that or a free VPN (both are free). On the other hand though, a dedicated VPN is more useful and less tedious than Ping Zapper once it's set-up. By the way, Ping Zapper doesn't change your IP.

Check your login history before selecting your character in PSO2. Ping Zapper does indeed change your IP to a shared one.

GHNeko
Jul 1, 2014, 02:43 PM
Ping Zapper doesnt change your MAC Address is what the correct answer is.

.Jack
Jul 2, 2014, 02:45 AM
They fixed the email verification recently so if you have your email and pass info there shouldn't be any issue. Using random VPN's you will be given a random shared log-in number each time, after several log-in there might be some sort of auto-block put in place after having x/number of different IP log-in detected. Dedicated would be the wiser choice IMO.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 2, 2014, 03:02 AM
with all this in mind, whether you use free vpns or dedicated proxies, be sure to check you log in history often and if you notice a lot of IP changes (10+) and/or get more then 3 email verifications a week, hold off on playing for a bit until you can find another way that doesn't do those things+^_^+

I don't think SEGAC isn't too concerned with IPs, a lot of people play at cafes, dorms, schools, libraries, etc so the system can handle a few IP changes as well as multiple users on one IP+^_^+ what the system doesn't like is constant changes in mac address, those will always generate email verification, and if that's abused that will cause an account lock as that is a sign of account theft or bot use+^_^+ a lot of public VPNs use shared mac addresses as a "courtesy" and to streamline their servers data

KazukiQZ
Jul 2, 2014, 03:17 AM
So, if I consistently change my IP address via VPN, but never generate e-mail verification, I should be safe?

Chik'Tikka
Jul 2, 2014, 03:20 AM
So, if I consistently change my IP address via VPN, but never generate e-mail verification, I should be safe?

at this point, that's unknown..... i however am not willing to risk, how about you try and see what happens?+^_^+

KazukiQZ
Jul 2, 2014, 03:28 AM
FYI, the last time I need e-mail authentication was the 1st day of SEA IP block (Had been on VPN usage since that)...So I don't really know what happened xD

MegaRocker1987
Jul 2, 2014, 06:52 AM
ive been using pingzapper (just bought a month lol) and i havent needed to do an authentication code once so i guess im okay at least for the time being