PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for skills to make HU's Guard Stance and FI's status skills more useful

Maenara
Jul 2, 2014, 03:13 PM
So what, I enjoy being creative, sue me

Personally, I feel that HU's Guard Stance and FI's status skills could be made much more useful and viable if there were some new skills added, so I came up with some.

For Guard Stance, these skills:
•Refracting Guard: Passive skill, max level 5, Main class HU-only: While in Guard Stance, a successful Just Guard restores your HP by 10%/25%/50%/75%/100% of the damage you would have taken instead(Maximum 1000 HP restored).

•Absorbing Guard: Passive skill, max level 5, Main class HU-only: While in Guard Stance, a successful Just Guard restores your PP by 1%/2%/3%/4%/5% of the damage you would have taken instead.

•Overflow: Passive skill, max level 5, requires Refracting Guard: A successful Refracting Guard, at max health, increases your maximum HP by 0.1%/0.2%/0.5%/1%/2.5% of the HP that would be restored. Your maximum HP returns to its original value when Guard Stance ends or is canceled.

•Oversaturate: Passive skill, max level 5, requires Absorbing Guard: A successful Absorbing Guard at max PP causes all PP costs to become 0 for the next 2/4/6/10/15 seconds. Effect ends early if Guard Stance ends or is canceled.

•Just Counter Advance: Passive skill, max level 10: While in Guard Stance, boost the damage of Just Counters by 10%/20%/30%/40%/50%/60%/70%/80%/90%/100%.

•Guard Stance Gear Boost: Passive skill, max level 1, Main class HU-only: During Guard Stance, a successful Just Guard fills the gear gauge to 50%. No effect if the gear gauge is already over 50%. A successful Just Counter completely fills the gear gauge from wherever it was previously.

•Bodyguard: Active skill, max level 10: Can only be activated during Guard Stance. 5/10/15/20/25/30/35/40/50/60 second duration. 180/175/170/165/160/155/150/140/130/120 second cooldown. While active, 5%/10%/15%/20%/25%/35%/45%/55%/65%/75% of damage taken by party members near you is halved, then transferred to you instead. Transferred damage that would kill you leaves you at 1 HP instead. Skill ends early if you reach 1 HP, or if Guard Stance ends or is canceled.[/spoiler-box]

For Fighter's status-related skills, these skills:
[spoiler-box]•Burning Passion: Both Passive and Active, max level 1:
Active effect: When activated, inflict Burn status onto yourself. 30 second cooldown.
Passive effect: While afflicted with Burn status, all attacks become fire-element and gain a chance to inflict Burn status per hit.

•Thundering Might: Both Passive and Active, max level 1:
Active effect: When activated, inflict Shock status onto yourself. 30 second cooldown.
Passive effect: While afflicted with Shock status, all attacks become lightning-element and gain a chance to inflict Shock status per hit.

•Destructive Determination: Both Passive and Active, max level 1:
Active effect: When activated, inflict Poison status onto yourself. 30 second cooldown.
Passive effect: While afflicted with Poison status, all attacks become dark-element and gain a chance to inflict Poison status per hit.

•Brilliant Intellect: Both Passive and Active, max level 1:
Active effect: When activated, inflict Panic status onto yourself. 30 second cooldown.
Passive effect: While afflicted with Panic status, all attacks become light-element and gain a chance to inflict Panic status per hit.[/spoiler-box]
Edit: Arksenth pointed out an exploit with those FI skills, so I'm appending this effect to all four: The status afflicted to yourself by this skill cannot be cured.

For the Hunter skills, you have to make the ability to not die REALLY worth it to choose over a nearly 200% bonus to damage. Part of the problem with that is there's not a whole lot you can do with 'not dying', hence the support-oriented skills and others. For the Fighter skills, all of the self-status related skills are extremely unreliable - something negative needs to happen to you to be able to use those skills, which is okay, except for the fact that you can't count on it happening anywhere. I believe the above skills would remedy that in an interesting way, while additionally making the Chase Advance skills more viable at the same time.
What do you guys think? [spoiler]inb4 oddly upset reply(ies)

Arksenth
Jul 2, 2014, 03:26 PM
The FI passives would make TE/FI the most OP buffer ever lawl. Considering Super Treatment lasts 30 seconds, infinite unconditional PP for your entire MPA? Do want.

Maenara
Jul 2, 2014, 03:31 PM
The FI passives would make TE/FI the most OP buffer ever lawl. Considering Super Treatment lasts 30 seconds, infinite unconditional PP for your entire MPA? Do want.

It could be made so the statuses afflicted by those skills can't be cured, which would both prevent abusing Super Treatment, and other people accidentally taking away your status when you don't want them to.

Edit: Added a note for that to the main post.

Shiyo
Jul 2, 2014, 03:45 PM
All your ideas are great, fun, interesting, skill based and don't rely on bland boring % dmg modifiers.

These are exactly the type of skills we should have in skill trees, instead of what we currently have.

UnLucky
Jul 2, 2014, 03:46 PM
A lot of issues with Hunter and Fighter stances would be fixed if they simply weren't stances to begin with.

Pretty Good would be more useful if it actually increased the duration of status effects, including the time between ticks so you don't flinch so often. Perhaps when it's maxed, or as a separate 1SP skill (replacing Guard Stance Burn/Poison) the negative effect can be completely removed despite still technically being inflicted. This works better with Fighter's SE skills, but even alone it confers SE immunity much better than before.

Fighter should get an active self-injury skill that both counts as SE and reduced health for Deadline. Maybe make it AoE and work on bosses for Chase while we're at it.

Maenara
Jul 2, 2014, 03:58 PM
A lot of issues with Hunter and Fighter stances would be fixed if they simply weren't stances to begin with.

Personally, I think the stances add an interesting element to gameplay. What the problem really is, is Sega doesn't know how to make it so it's worth speccing both of them equally, rather than one way more than the other, ultimately creating a type of split like the kind we see in Braver with katanas and bows. If stances activated instantly, had no duration, and designed to be always one or the other, I think it would be a little better.

Shiyo
Jul 2, 2014, 03:59 PM
Personally, I think the stances add an interesting element to gameplay. What the problem really is, is Sega doesn't know how to make it so it's worth speccing both of them equally, rather than one way more than the other, ultimately creating a type of split like the kind we see in Braver with katanas and bows. If stances activated instantly, had no duration, and designed to be always one or the other, I think it would be a little better.

They already have the coding for instant activation stances, wand lovers does it. Every stance needs to be as fast, not sure why they aren't.

Gamemako
Jul 2, 2014, 04:00 PM
Guard Stance can't be fixed without crippling the Fury Stance tree and reorganizing it so that your offense bonuses aren't all conveniently dumped in one place. It's less the fault of Guard Stance being bad (go try it -- it's actually pretty bonkers when you spec full defense) and more an issue of Fury Stance being OP (especially combined with Automate Halfline).

Re: your FI skills, that would be terribly messy since Shock interrupts you where Poison and Burn do not, and Panic... yikes. I'm not opposed to buffs to inflicting effects, but hitting yourself with some effects is too much.

UnLucky
Jul 2, 2014, 04:04 PM
Panic wearing off is more annoying than getting Panicked in the first place tbqh imho

Maenara
Jul 2, 2014, 04:07 PM
Fun fact: I almost put down a ice-freeze skill for FI. Halfway through, I was like '...wait...', and then I facepalmed pretty hard. So I added in the light and dark instead. Would wind-mirage be a better alternative.

D-Inferno
Jul 2, 2014, 04:29 PM
Stances should just get removed altogether, and have other skills take their place. Defense hasn't and likely never will be better than DPS in PSO series, so Guard is out. Front and back damage boosts are also a really bad idea in this game, as it makes forces you to hit every god damn enemies from the front, not to mention makes TD unplayable. Let's see what kind of class balance changes SEGA reveals on 7/26 (?). I don't have much hope for FI improving, as Bouncer's Twin Blades will probably be the new single target DPS king (although they probably deserve to be), but removing the stance concept could make it less of an annoying subclass.

Gamemako
Jul 2, 2014, 04:38 PM

I've mentioned this before, but I think reorganizing the tree so both stances are in the same section and adding a stance swap ability (animation duration of an attack's worth or so, best if you can also swap midair for FI and BR) would do a world of good. Plus, nerf pretty much all stances, but that's beside the point.

Fun fact: I almost put down a ice-freeze skill for FI. Halfway through, I was like '...wait...', and then I facepalmed pretty hard. So I added in the light and dark instead. Would wind-mirage be a better alternative.

I'm just not really down for the whole suicide setup, I guess. Feels like some major hassle and risk for gains that can't even be used on most bosses. I'd rather fold the benefits into other places. Since it's situational, an active skill makes more sense to me. Roll all the status stuff into one place instead of stacking passives that people won't like to begin with.

Maenara
Jul 2, 2014, 06:20 PM
I've mentioned this before, but I think reorganizing the tree so both stances are in the same section and adding a stance swap ability (animation duration of an attack's worth or so, best if you can also swap midair for FI and BR) would do a world of good. Plus, nerf pretty much all stances, but that's beside the point.

I'm just not really down for the whole suicide setup, I guess. Feels like some major hassle and risk for gains that can't even be used on most bosses. I'd rather fold the benefits into other places. Since it's situational, an active skill makes more sense to me. Roll all the status stuff into one place instead of stacking passives that people won't like to begin with.
The same skill provides both passive and active effects, it's not two different skills.