PDA

View Full Version : My theory of why some of us were able to log back in...

the_importer_
Jul 2, 2014, 10:28 PM
Yesterday, I might has gave false hope by saying that people from the East side of Canada may be able to get back into the game without VPN, Ping Zapper, etc. My reasoning was that people in Ontario, Quebec and perhaps other provinces in the area that are using Cable Internet are pretty much on the same backbone, the one that Videotron and Rogers (as well as all of their re-sellers) are using. Looking at the Canadian topic from today, I can see now that this is not the case, so why am I able to get back in?

Before we get to my theory, here are the facts:

1- There cannot be a backbone blockage or I wouldn't be able to get in like my fellow East side Canadians running on Cable Internet

2- People who switch from Wi-Fi to Ethernet and Vice-Versa and people with more than one computer were prompt to enter a verification code when they were using the same IP address. This can only mean that the game recognizes that it's not being played with the same Mac address. Now before some of you say "websites can't see your Mac address" let me say that you are correct, but that being said, local applications that communicate with servers are able to and we all got one of those with a 20GB size on our machines.

Now for my theory:

Prior to the update, like most of you, I was unable to connect without some sort of alternate method. While most people were afraid to keep using Ping Zapper, I took a risk and used it for 2 days, right up until they shut the servers down for maintenance yesterday. Using this program gave me a Japanese IP for those 2 days of gameplay.

Now what if SEGA were working on getting Japanese players based on Mac addresses that were linked to a Japanese IP address? Since I was using a Japanese IP, my Mac address could have gone in a white list, this could be the reason why I can connect with my Canadian IP address now while my fellow Canucks on the same backbone aren't.

Anyway, this is a weird one I know, but like Sherlock Holmes said: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

un1t27
Jul 2, 2014, 10:30 PM
http://www.thehomeplanet.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/whitney_receipts.gif

Sp-24
Jul 2, 2014, 10:32 PM
This theory is ...Different, yeah. I still think that Taiga's theory sounds more likely, but, interestingly, I was able to login normally, with no problems, after logging in with a VPN just once.

However, I never used a VPN to login before, and my route to the servers changed a few hours befor I turned to a VPN for the first time. So, yeah, I really doubt that this is the case.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, while Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did call Sherlock Holmes' investigation method "deduction", it was actually inductive in its nature, and didn't work nearly as well outside of adventure novels.

the_importer_
Jul 2, 2014, 10:39 PM
This theory is ...Different, yeah. I still think that Taiga's theory sounds more likely, but, interestingly, I was able to login normally, with no problems, after logging in with a VPN just once.

However, I never used a VPN to login before, and my route to the servers changed a few hours befor I turned to a VPN for the first time. So, yeah, I really doubt that this is the case.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, while Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did call Sherlock Holmes' investigation method "deduction", it was actually inductive in its nature, and didn't work nearly as well outside of adventure novels.

Well, I may have an answer for this. Obviously, if this was the case, SEGA didn't pay someone to look at all of the log files, a program scanned them up until the update. So 1 log with a Japanese address, the program picks it up, matches it with your Mac address and voilą!

Sp-24
Jul 2, 2014, 10:41 PM
Also, I found out that I can connect to PSO2-related services on my laptop, whereas I only play on my PC nowadays. And something tells me that their network adapters have different MACs.

Sychosis
Jul 2, 2014, 10:44 PM
While most people were afraid to keep using Ping Zapper

I think you underestimate the number of people who've been crafting effigies of their waifus during downtime.

Noc Codez
Jul 2, 2014, 10:52 PM
My theory is simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0kMUTm_iDc

lol now do Silver

Gama
Jul 2, 2014, 11:01 PM
lol now do Silver

i loled at that page.

ill bet aida did too.

Macman
Jul 2, 2014, 11:05 PM
1- There cannot be a backbone blockage or I wouldn't be able to get in like my fellow East side Canadians running on Cable Internet

Compare your traceroutes.

Jaquecz
Jul 2, 2014, 11:15 PM
http://http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/t/tL/fark_tL3_9SZ6zUyesJSzX71pQFPBtG0.gif?t=9gM38Tgv2ms X15XcU50bJA&f=1404705600

I was using PingZapper to connect and play the game for a couple days, but I'm not able to get in normally.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 2, 2014, 11:24 PM
http://http://img.fark.net/images/cache/850/t/tL/fark_tL3_9SZ6zUyesJSzX71pQFPBtG0.gif?t=9gM38Tgv2ms X15XcU50bJA&f=1404705600

I was using PingZapper to connect and play the game for a couple days, but I'm not able to get in normally.

i too was using a VPN with a JP address since DDoS ended and servers came back, however i still get 107 with official launcher and main site still times out for me+^_^+ you all so impatient, give it at least another week before you start freaking+^_^+

DoubleZero
Jul 2, 2014, 11:26 PM
I used PingZapper to get in for a few hours today, and after being disconnected prior to the 10 PM Tower Defense EQ I have since been unable to repeat the same magic that got me in for that small window of time.

When I ran PingZapper, I managed to get the ship status to read Normal, in green text, and connect perfectly. However, it seems like after that small window of opportunity running PingZapper doesn't seem to be doing anything; running with it on or off returns the ship status to Unknown and error 249 returned.

For data's sake: I use Comcast and live in the New Jersey South area.

Jaquecz
Jul 2, 2014, 11:29 PM
weren't you one of the people who could connect via tweaker?

BTW
http://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/29pjv5/issue_confirmed_to_be_ispside/

Jaquecz
Jul 2, 2014, 11:30 PM
I used PingZapper to get in for a few hours today, and after being disconnected prior to the 10 PM Tower Defense EQ I have since been unable to repeat the same magic that got me in for that small window of time.

When I ran PingZapper, I managed to get the ship status to read Normal, in green text, and connect perfectly. However, it seems like after that small window of opportunity running PingZapper doesn't seem to be doing anything; running with it on or off returns the ship status to Unknown and error 249 returned.

For data's sake: I use Comcast and live in the New Jersey South area.

Comcast is one of the ISPs that cannot connect, it's been that way ever since after the DDOS ended.

DoubleZero
Jul 2, 2014, 11:46 PM
Comcast is one of the ISPs that cannot connect, it's been that way ever since after the DDOS ended.

Despite having Comcast, I still managed to get on for a few hours; time spent restocking my shop and collecting the Visiphone rewards. Strange how PingZapper only worked for around two, maybe three hours tops before the program stopped having a noticeable effect.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 2, 2014, 11:50 PM
hey, quick question, when will item translations be back up?+^_^+

TaigaUC
Jul 3, 2014, 12:10 AM
Unbanning IPs based on matching machines with linked JP IPs is a possibility.
It doesn't conflict with my theory, either. SEGA could be doing both.

Jaquecz
Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 AM
Despite having Comcast, I still managed to get on for a few hours; time spent restocking my shop and collecting the Visiphone rewards. Strange how PingZapper only worked for around two, maybe three hours tops before the program stopped having a noticeable effect.

Connecting with comcast after the maintenance? Pretty lucky.
Ping Zapper works for me until I try to connect in the afternoons, where I keep getting Time out's on ship 02, I'm beginning to think that people are actually leaving it ON and not turning it off after they login for some dumb reason, that and whenever I participate in a Mining Base EQ I time out.
Actually whenever a mining base EQ is announced about 25% of the time I time out before it ends.

Searaphim
Jul 3, 2014, 12:13 AM
The biggest flaw with this theory is the MAC address. No services ever use MAC addresses as tracking information.

Jaquecz
Jul 3, 2014, 12:18 AM
I'm gonna go with this
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3156561&postcount=11
Seems to fit the situation a bit more.

Jaquecz
Jul 3, 2014, 12:21 AM
Of course, there's always the possibility that someone could ASK SoJ.
I'm PRETTY sure we have some active members who are living in Japan right now, who could do just that.

I mean like literally go up and ask them, if phone or email gives you the "lol our surviz iz only 4 japan ppl" maybe you try a more direct approach.
It would probably make everyone feel a bit better (or cause them to break down into tears) if we managed to get anything about the situation from the "Officials"
The best chance for this was probably during the whole convention thing that was going on earlier, unless those happen frequently enough maybe asking them wont even work.

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 01:47 AM
You do know why do they keep saying that they don't offer the PSO2 service to people outside of Japan, right?

Jaquecz
Jul 3, 2014, 01:58 AM
Yes i do.
Violates the TOS
It's been said plenty of times already.
There's other ways to ask them get information other than talking to customer service.

Sizustar
Jul 3, 2014, 02:08 AM
Of course, there's always the possibility that someone could ASK SoJ.
I'm PRETTY sure we have some active members who are living in Japan right now, who could do just that.

I mean like literally go up and ask them, if phone or email gives you the "lol our surviz iz only 4 japan ppl" maybe you try a more direct approach.
It would probably make everyone feel a bit better (or cause them to break down into tears) if we managed to get anything about the situation from the "Officials"
The best chance for this was probably during the whole convention thing that was going on earlier, unless those happen frequently enough maybe asking them wont even work.

You'll have to wait till the next live festa, which was delayed ot the end of the month.

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 02:10 AM
Yes i do.
Violates the TOS
Do I really need to just say it, or can you guess yourself why does it violate the ToS?

Unbanning IPs based on matching machines with linked JP IPs is a possibility.
It doesn't conflict with my theory, either. SEGA could be doing both.
It's just... Why do it? Well, to let the Japanese play, of course. But, what would they gain from it? Their ToS is pretty clear: you are not allowed to connect from outside of Japan. Providing service to outsiders is against the rules, and it doesn't matter if those outsiders are citizens of Japan. It's one thing to enforce your rules by banning outside connections, and another - to do that, and then immediately break those same rules. It just sounds way too racist, nationalist, whatever, to believe, especially after Sega tolerated foreigners on their servers for two years. It doesn't make any sense from the business standpoint, either. Because, you know what's an even smaller part of PSO2's audience than foreign players? Foreign players that are Japanese.

I mean, there is a chance that they are trying to get points from 2ch, but why'd they want to?

Jaquecz
Jul 3, 2014, 02:34 AM
Starting to think you think I'm stupid.
Wouldn't blame you because 99% of the time I act stupid.
It violates the TOS because (enter common sense here/what's been said already. Alot.)

You could still go ahead and try, it might work.
Like you said, they went and broke their own rules already, they didn't exactly enforce it actively either.
and Like you said, it doesn't make them look good, so maybe they'd listen?
(Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your response to the second quote and taking things in the wrong direction)

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 04:05 AM
Well, yes, it has been said already. PSO2 is a regional release. As such, Sega is only allowed to provide the service on the territory of Japan. So long as they don't take your money directly, they technically don't provide you any service, you just somehow found your way on the server. But they sure aren't going to address your problems directly, either, since you are not their customer.

Don't expect a Sega's official spokesperson to say anything other than "ToS lol" about gaijins. It doesn't matter if it's tech support replying to your ticket or email, or Sakai explaining things on Festa. In the end, it's still Sega talking about people that they are not allowed to work with. They aren't being rude or xenophobic, they are being smart.

Well, they obviously can talk about foreigners. Sega can easily post "We love our foreign PSO2 fans!" on Twitter. But, even if they do, they should be very careful about what they say, since, really, exactly why are they talking about somebody that they totally have nothing to do with?

So, unless somebody here has a boyfriend working on PSO2, I wouldn't expect any answers regarding this. Letting us on the PSO2 servers was a pretty big favor already, but expecting them to acknowledge us may be asking a little too much.

the_importer_
Jul 3, 2014, 07:32 AM
Yikes, many who used PZ and VPN still aren't able to log back. Oh well, it was just a theory, A GAME THEORY (always wanted to say that).

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 3, 2014, 08:10 AM
Yesterday, I might has gave false hope by saying that people from the East side of Canada may be able to get back into the game without VPN, Ping Zapper, etc. My reasoning was that people in Ontario, Quebec and perhaps other provinces in the area that are using Cable Internet are pretty much on the same backbone, the one that Videotron and Rogers (as well as all of their re-sellers) are using. Looking at the Canadian topic from today, I can see now that this is not the case, so why am I able to get back in?

Before we get to my theory, here are the facts:

2- People who switch from Wi-Fi to Ethernet and Vice-Versa and people with more than one computer were prompt to enter a verification code when they were using the same IP address. This can only mean that the game recognizes that it's not being played with the same Mac address. Now before some of you say "websites can't see your Mac address" let me say that you are correct, but that being said, local applications that communicate with servers are able to and we all got one of those with a 20GB size on our machines.

Now for my theory:

Prior to the update, like most of you, I was unable to connect without some sort of alternate method. While most people were afraid to keep using Ping Zapper, I took a risk and used it for 2 days, right up until they shut the servers down for maintenance yesterday. Using this program gave me a Japanese IP for those 2 days of gameplay.

Now what if SEGA were working on getting Japanese players based on Mac addresses that were linked to a Japanese IP address? Since I was using a Japanese IP, my Mac address could have gone in a white list, this could be the reason why I can connect with my Canadian IP address now while my fellow Canucks on the same backbone aren't.

Anyway, this is a weird one I know, but like Sherlock Holmes said: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

this would work if certain ISPS weren't getting through without VPNS or proxies like ping zapper

what nobody wants to acknowledge is in another thread a guy contacted his ISP provider and that provider litterally said they were on PSO2 blacklist

and the ISP provider actually gave a detailed explanation on why it's on the blacklist and how it was put on it

Z-0
Jul 3, 2014, 08:11 AM
People are very much acknowledging that, but it doesn't explain the whole situation.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 3, 2014, 08:43 AM
you know im willing to say Sega doesn't fully understand the software there using