PDA

View Full Version : How good is the quality through a VPN? + minor rant

gaijin_punch
Jul 3, 2014, 02:54 AM
Just curious what everyone gets all pussified when someone mentions VPN. Is the quality that bad? I know there's overhead, but obviously there are different levels of this. I'm mainly interested as after 15 years, I'm heading back to US, in it's bullet's a blazin' (in high schools and shopping malls) form.

Now, the rant: Stop fucking moaning about paying for any type of work around to getting you past region blocking. I'm a US citizen, and even pay for taxes in the US. Guess what I'm blocked from: Everything but the news in text form, and even some video. Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and anything else except iTunes (b/c my CC is American issue).

You should be blowing a random person that a workaround (even a pay one) is an option. When I first moved abroad the only way you could watch that gold mine known as American TV is if your friends sent you VHS tapes. You know how many people do this? NONE! Because it's a huge ball ache! Still made the whole experience a little harder.

Online gaming? I played Descent 3 in a little year I like to call 1999. I used to take worm holes from one end of the stage to the other in death defying battles. Guess what - there were no worm holes in the game. It was my shitty connection that I paid like 3 yen a minute for. 3 fucking yen a minute!

So man up... you sound worse than this recent lot of newly baptized expats that don't realize what a cake walk it is thanks to technology.

</get off my lawn>

Skize
Jul 3, 2014, 03:00 AM
It's not too bad, but no way in hell am I paying a monthly VPN to play PSO2. Premium is like $13 if you don't count the fact you have to buy $20 worth first. Monthly VPN is like $7 per month depending. That's pretty much $20+ per month for a supposed F2P game. Also, using a public VPN can get your account banned after some time, so not paying isn't really an option if the IP block is for real.

gaijin_punch
Jul 3, 2014, 03:08 AM
I can respect not wanting to pay. I can't respect not wanting to pay and actually complaining about it... for either item (premium, or the VPN). A decent VPN is going to cost something. Cost of doing business... er... playing games in this case. I guess growing up on the internet in the US brings a lot of false entitlement. Shit, I know it does as I'm a product of it, but I've been gone most of the time so quickly forgot.

Skize
Jul 3, 2014, 03:17 AM
I can respect not wanting to pay. I can't respect not wanting to pay and actually complaining about it... for either item (premium, or the VPN). A decent VPN is going to cost something. Cost of doing business... er... playing games in this case. I guess growing up on the internet in the US brings a lot of false entitlement. Shit, I know it does as I'm a product of it, but I've been gone most of the time so quickly forgot.

Actually, half my childhood was growing up in Korea.

And it isn't just about paying and complaining. I'll pay for premium, but what I can't do is to pay for another product completely UNRELATED to the actual game to actually be ABLE to play. It's also not entirely about entitlement. When you advertise a product and then don't deliver at all, that's just bad business. Sega has been doing too many mess ups, and people can only take so much insult before they move on to better things.

noobcombo
Jul 3, 2014, 04:55 AM
I tried the VPN and Tunneling methods. Free VPN is terrible in my experience (disconnects and long setup time), and I haven't used a payed service. Tunneling is very legit, and while there is noticeable lag, its very minor.

I think a big part of the issue is that people aren't willing pay for, subscribe, download, and setup a bunch of stuff to fix a problem that might go away at any moment. There is the threat of being banned by doing these things. There is also the factor on how much people actually give a shit too. They might be kids and simply lack the credentials. I wouldn't really call it entitlement. It's more hesitation or patience. To clarify, I'm not saying some people don't need a wake up call, there is just a lot misnomer and misinformation about the current situation of the game.

As for me, I'm addicted and impatient, so I've jumped the hoops, and have yet to be bitten for it. Early bird gets the worm. Second mouse gets the cheese.

Macman
Jul 3, 2014, 05:21 AM
I'm mostly concerned for latency. It's already enough that I can't really chain-kill things due to geography, but if the VPN is going to add another 200ms I probably won't even be able to function in the more intense bits like TD/Falz.

I'll probably jump on the bandwagon just in time to collect those 100% grind items that I'll never ever use unless I somehow get a 15* in 4 years.

UnLucky
Jul 3, 2014, 05:32 AM
Really? Netflix and Hulu are your main concerns when they have any number of equivalences? I'm blocked too despite being an American citizen but I don't even care since all of the content is still easily available for free elsewhere. Plus a simple web proxy can get you past most blocked sites, and that kind of thing is not nearly as sensitive to poor quality connections.

Higher ping, slower transfer speeds, and an unstable connection are a minor inconvenience when browsing the web, but a nightmare in an online game like PSO2, especially since it doesn't let you rejoin after being disconnected so you lose all quest progress including end rewards and any entry fee involved.

Paying money to get banned is just icing on the cake.

Z-0
Jul 3, 2014, 05:35 AM
Personally, I just don't find it fun to play with higher ping. There's nothing to "man up" about, if I don't enjoy it, I don't enjoy it and I'm not going to play.

Dammy
Jul 3, 2014, 05:39 AM
i have been playing with 320-370 ping for 2 years, its playable
some people are just spoiled

UnLucky
Jul 3, 2014, 05:47 AM
Try adding another 200ms to your ping for using a VPN that could drop independently from your own net.

I've played laggy pieces of shits from all over Asia and I'd rather not add onto that any more than I have to.

Dammy
Jul 3, 2014, 05:53 AM
so most of people here play with 120-150 ping, it would become ~350 ping
its playable

Misaki Ki
Jul 3, 2014, 06:19 AM
A large part of it is ignorance or misinformation, and as said before, most experience with such things come from free crappy methods. If done properly the most you'll typically see is a 20-40ms increase. Right now with SSH tunneling as seen in another thread (amazon,) I get an negligible increase in ping time.
The only time I had a 400ms ping was when I went through Germany for a connection. I literally went the opposite way around the world to reach Japan.

gaijin_punch
Jul 3, 2014, 06:20 AM
Really? Netflix and Hulu are your main concerns when they have any number of equivalences? I'm blocked too despite being an American citizen but I don't even care since all of the content is still easily available for free elsewhere. Plus a simple web proxy can get you past most blocked sites, and that kind of thing is not nearly as sensitive to poor quality connections.

No, they're not, but they are a good illustration. Of course I can get all that shit elsewhere, but there was a big scare here 2 years ago when Japan actually made downloading illegal. Japan is famous for being retarded when it comes to wording law and then only selectively enforcing it. Nobody wanted to be made an example of, so most people that I know got VPN.

Higher ping, slower transfer speeds, and an unstable connection are a minor inconvenience when browsing the web, but a nightmare in an online game like PSO2, especially since it doesn't let you rejoin after being disconnected so you lose all quest progress including end rewards and any entry fee involved.

Paying money to get banned is just icing on the cake.

Indeed, I know that, and as stated before quite elegantly in this thread, there's a lot of question marks. Nobody really knows what the Sega policy is (although they seem to have been quite cool with live and let live up until this point).

Shinamori
Jul 3, 2014, 06:21 AM
I've noticed no difference in using the Amazon tunnel method, although, I don't plan to make a habit of it. Hopefully, this "IP block" is just Sega seeing which ISP is safe.

gaijin_punch
Jul 3, 2014, 06:24 AM
Word. However, the bad news is that Sega is a very Japanese cumpany. They could be doing all sorts of shit/testing/dabbling for ages. Let's hope not.