PDA

View Full Version : Would this be safe?[Question]

munekun
Jul 3, 2014, 05:50 AM
Due to the fact that i am unable to access the game at this point i was curious if it would be safe for a friend of mine, whom i trust, in a different country were to log in my account once just to claim the compensation items or is it possible my account will be temporarily banned for this?

MDashK
Jul 3, 2014, 05:53 AM
Yes.
Different MAC and different IP, so, there's the risk.

The problem is not really the IP address.
You can go to the home of a friend of yours and enter the game, since the MAC address will be the same...

The problem is really the MAC address changing... so... You will get a confirmation e-mail to authenticate yourself...

In the end, there's always a risk.
But to be realistic, if it's only once, I doubt you'll have any trouble...
Unless he's using a Public VPN...

eiistrir
Jul 3, 2014, 05:59 AM
since you trust both, how about try to use remote desktop on his PC?
you may use teamviewer, another good feature of teamviewer is,
you have the option to lock his/her keyboard, in case he/she acted different

Edson Drake
Jul 3, 2014, 06:01 AM
There's risk no doubt. I've done this before and I can say that I had no problems at all.

As long as this person is 100% trustworthy, go for it.

munekun
Jul 3, 2014, 06:04 AM
Yes.

You can go to the home of a friend of yours and enter the game, since the MAC address will be the same...

The problem is really the MAC address changing... so... You will get a confirmation e-mail to authenticate yourself...

Thank you for the reply. I am having her try it now and hopefully it works. She is able to enter the game normally without a VPN.

Rainoffire
Jul 3, 2014, 06:16 AM
Yes.

I have been lurking PSO-W for a while now, but this has always came up.

What is the connection with MAC address and PSO2?

Your PC's MAC address is not retrievable through the internet, unless it is IPv6.
Or if the program specifically retrieves a system log with MAC included, but if that was the case, even a VPN will not change it.

I can even spoof my MAC and PSO2 still lets me log in without authentication.
MAC are usually only used on a Local level only, like Universities where students register their MAC to be able to access internet.

MDashK
Jul 3, 2014, 06:22 AM
It is assumed that PSO2 detects your PC using MAC address to ask for authentication, since it's the most obvious ID aside from IP (which in most ISPs changes dinamically).

Generally, through the Internet, your MAC address is not retrivable, unless you use a specific program that can make that (it is possible that PSO2 does that).

A VPN will change the MAC address, in the way that, most programs to use VPN create a virtual adapter card to be able to access the VPN. Therefore, the MAC address is changed, if not overwriten by the Virtual adapter card.

Yes, you can spoof, however, nobody has ever posted results in that behaviour.

Rainoffire
Jul 3, 2014, 06:44 AM
It is assumed that PSO2 detects your PC using MAC address to ask for authentication, since it's the most obvious ID aside from IP (which in most ISPs changes dinamically).

Generally, through the Internet, your MAC address is not retrivable, unless you use a specific program that can make that (it is possible that PSO2 does that).

A VPN will change the MAC address, in the way that, most programs to use VPN create a virtual adapter card to be able to access the VPN. Therefore, the MAC address is changed, if not overwriten by the Virtual adapter card.

Yes, you can spoof, however, nobody has ever posted results in that behaviour.

I just find it difficult to believe that, outside of a local level, MACs would be used for authentication.

I have 4 computers with PSO2, 2 are identical laptops.

Only the other 2 PC's required authentication. Which leads me to think it is not MAC, but hardware changes triggering.

There could be other methods, but I feel MAC addresses being the least likely cause. I have also spoofed my MAC a couple of times, and still accessed PSO2 without any problems.

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 06:47 AM
Well, when I was playing PSO2 on a laptop, switching from cable to wireless connection immediately triggered a verification email. The hardware configuration obviously didn't change, whereas the MAC address of my active network adapter did.

Besides, if they can access my hardware info, surely they can check MACs as well? Neither is that widely used in identifying you over the internet, after all.

D-Inferno
Jul 3, 2014, 06:48 AM
How long do we have to claim the compensation items?

Macman
Jul 3, 2014, 06:51 AM
MAC addresses are part of the frame (with which the packet is kept within). The frame gets removed and rebuilt every time the packet crosses a router, changing the MAC addresses in it each hop.
MAC addresses are only used in point-to-point communication, IP addresses are end-to-end communication. The MAC only has significance between two nodes on the overall route your data is transmitted across, while the IP address is what helps routers decide which way to forward your packets.

The only visible MAC address coming in to Sega's servers would be the nearest router of theirs.
Granted this is based off IPv4, I don't know enough about IPv6 yet to know if information from MAC addresses can go all the way through. Or if Sega has some voodoo magic to send your net adapter's MAC with their shitty rootkit anti-cheat software.

HaxMega
Jul 3, 2014, 06:52 AM

Until the 16th in Japan.

Shinamori
Jul 3, 2014, 06:52 AM
July 9th I think.

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 06:53 AM

13 more days, it seems. Uh-oh.

http://i.imgur.com/6MkrlEu.png

Rainoffire
Jul 3, 2014, 07:02 AM
Well, when I was playing PSO2 on a laptop, switching from cable to wireless connection immediately triggered a verification email. The hardware configuration obviously didn't change, whereas the MAC address of my active network adapter did.

Besides, if they can access my hardware info, surely they can check MACs as well? Neither is that widely used in identifying you over the internet, after all.

Well that throws out my idea of hardware configurations. I find a lot of games detect hardware, to see if your computer is capable of running it.

I change from wired to wireless quite often, depending on where i am, Uni: Wireless/Home: Wired. Have not received a email regarding it.

The times I have received it are:

Logging in on brothers laptop.

Traveling between Japan and Guam, on my laptop.

McDonalds's public Wifi, on my Vita

Ex's apartment in Fukuoka, on my Vita

GF's house in Hyogo, email for my laptop, not my Vita.

MDashK
Jul 3, 2014, 07:16 AM
Well.... If it's not the IP (which is obvious), not the MAC (???) and not the specific hardware of the machine... Then... What is it?

Sp-24
Jul 3, 2014, 07:23 AM
Well that throws out my idea of hardware configurations. I find a lot of games detect hardware, to see if your computer is capable of running it.

I change from wired to wireless quite often, depending on where i am, Uni: Wireless/Home: Wired. Have not received a email regarding it.

The times I have received it are:

Logging in on brothers laptop.

Traveling between Japan and Guam, on my laptop.

McDonalds's public Wifi, on my Vita

Ex's apartment in Fukuoka, on my Vita

GF's house in Hyogo, email for my laptop, not my Vita.
Well, to be completely honest, maybe I'm remembering wrong. I've played on another laptop, too, and maybe that's why I remember that email. I think I deleted my old verification mails, too, so I can't count all of them to see if changing adapters caused that.

Rainoffire
Jul 3, 2014, 07:24 AM
Well.... If it's not the IP (which is obvious), not the MAC (???) and not the specific hardware of the machine... Then... What is it?

Sega voodoo...

Really do not know anymore. Discussing on this thread made me think, that my first guess of hardware changes cannot be right, since I get the authentication mails through my Vita too...
There is no Gameguard on Vita, so rootkit stuff won't work.

MDashK
Jul 3, 2014, 07:57 AM
Sega voodoo...

Really do not know anymore. Discussing on this thread made me think, that my first guess of hardware changes cannot be right, since I get the authentication mails through my Vita too...
There is no Gameguard on Vita, so rootkit stuff won't work.

Hmm... That made me think... There are no MAC address changes on the Vita has well (as far as I know)...

So... What can it be....

Rainoffire
Jul 3, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hmm... That made me think... There are no MAC address changes on the Vita has well (as far as I know)...

So... What can it be....

Ye, and I don't think I can use a VPN on my Vita.

I would usually think IP, since I usually get the email then I change physical location. Never got it at a net cafe though.

What if it detects physical location? I was thinking, a VPN to Japan, makes it seem as though you are in Japan, compare to a SSH-T which just tunnels you to a server in Japan. Not sure, just guessing.

Edit:
Because when I was at my GF's house, only my laptop got the email, then logging in on my Vita cause no email to occur since I was still in the same area.