PDA

View Full Version : Who would you want to publish PSO2?

Velad
Jul 4, 2014, 02:46 PM
If SEGA were to just license PSO2 out to some company for NA/EU, who would you want it to be, and why?

Chrishehe
Jul 4, 2014, 02:51 PM
who cares it wont be as good as japan content and support wise.

SilkaN
Jul 4, 2014, 02:53 PM
Not Atlus since Atlus = awful English dubbing

Yep, weeaboo alert.

btw-Niji
Jul 4, 2014, 02:54 PM
None. The game won't make it in the West.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 4, 2014, 02:57 PM
well, trion games did ArcheAge, and from what i here, that localization is quite successful+^_^+ tho for PS, i'd rather have a company that just so happened to have a fan among the higher-up to help maintain simple stuff like Force and Monomate+^_^+

DJcooltrainer
Jul 4, 2014, 02:58 PM
I'd prefer Sega to publish the game themselves, honestly. They've published other F2P games and released them via Steam in North America (Spiral Knights, for example). Most of the F2P MMORPG publishers in North America don't have very good reputations for updating content, inflating cash shop prices, poor customer service, etc.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 4, 2014, 02:59 PM
I'd prefer Sega to publish the game themselves, honestly. They've published other F2P games and released them via Steam in North America (Spiral Knights, for example). Most of the F2P MMORPG publishers in North America don't have very good reputations for updating content, inflating cash shop prices, poor customer service, etc.

I'm gonna guess you didn't play Phantasy Star Universe?+^_^+

pkemr4
Jul 4, 2014, 03:00 PM
If SEGA were to just license PSO2 out to some company for NA/EU, who would you want it to be, and why?

none because there all crap.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 4, 2014, 03:02 PM
None. The game won't make it in the West.

Most likely won't.

But hey... like any company, SoJ likes money. If they find a way to stop DDoS without slapping on the foreign IP block bandage, I'm sure they'll happily go back to leaving their servers open to foreign players (and their money) while not officially acknowledging, or offering any direct coustomer support outside of the servers being there.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 4, 2014, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna guess you didn't play Phantasy Star Universe?+^_^+

I did, but on the Japanese servers. I don't think the NA severs would have been any better off with a 3rd party publisher.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 4, 2014, 03:04 PM
I did, but on the Japanese servers. I don't think the NA severs would have been any better off with a 3rd party publisher.

You'd win that wager.

Sanguine2009
Jul 4, 2014, 03:08 PM
pretty much everyone that could publish it in NA is close to asiasoft tier, no matter who publishs it everyone loses

Sierhiet
Jul 4, 2014, 03:20 PM
None of you know what was the issue behind the content situation in PSU or the original PSO, and the only indication we have as to how the content situation will be handled in a NA / EA release comes from the SEA versions (which did NOT start at square 1 content wise); assumptions in that regard to somehow support any point is meaningless...

Also, if your assuming the game isn't coming stateside due to the trickle of information and 2 year gap as of today, then I'd like to direct you to the numerous other Asian MMO's that have done the same exact thing. As of the 30th, it will have been two years since the original Blade and Soul release in Korea. We only recently were informed of an impending NA release, and we are still waiting for it.

On topic; I don't think I'd mind Trion taking care of it.

メグスノ
Jul 4, 2014, 03:25 PM
Obviously we need Valve, then we'd never get Episode 3 and every cosmetic will be hats(and dances).

But jokes aside, none of the MMO publishers in NA that I've dealt with were really any good, as many of the games often suffered from poor management and lack of communication between players and developers. As such, it really comes down to the question of "Which company is NOT complete crap?" rather than "Which company is good?".

Meyfei
Jul 4, 2014, 03:36 PM
Uhm o3o...

Let arks-layer publish it? :p

moorebounce
Jul 4, 2014, 03:53 PM
Basically whoever does it will be handling the servers, the official website, customer support and adding new content they get from Sega. It's already being localized because of the SEA version.

Nulve
Jul 4, 2014, 03:55 PM
Any company that listens to what the fans want and will act on it, immediately. Maybe like Sony, or something.

holmwood
Jul 4, 2014, 04:09 PM
Digital Extreme is sooooo gooood. Their fanbase and customer support makes up for their boring game. :D

Still, I want Sega JP to publish it. They can outsource customer support to india for all I care.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 4, 2014, 04:22 PM
Nintendo should publish NA PSO2.

Misaki Ki
Jul 4, 2014, 04:27 PM
Nexon should do it, while Sega JP handles the updates and events for the NA/EU servers.

Dan Maku
Jul 4, 2014, 04:33 PM
Not Atlus since Atlus = awful English dubbing

Yep, weeaboo alert.

http://f3nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/fightin-words.png

I'd want Atlus to publish. Would prolly be doable, since Sega acquired Atlus's parent company. I even have an idea as to who would voice the NPCs. >:3

-Zeno: Johnny Yong Bosch (Lelouch L
-Echo: Michelle Ruff
-Afin: Yuri Lowenthal
-Fourier: Laura Bailey
-Aki: Tara Platt
-Light: Vic Mignona
-Klotho: Liam O'Brien
-Marlu: Stephanie Sheh
-Ohza: Troy Baker
-Jean: Richard Epcar
-Joseph: Kyle Hebert
-Quna: Kari Wahlgren
-Gettumhart/Dark Falz Elder: Patrick Seitz
-"Persona": Matthew Mercer
-Apprentace: Amanda Winn Lee
-Double: Laura Bailey
-Luther/Dark Falz Loser: Yuri Lowenthal

SilkaN
Jul 4, 2014, 04:39 PM
http://f3nation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/fightin-words.png

I'd want Atlus to publish. Would prolly be doable, since Sega acquired Atlus's parent company. I even have an idea as to who would voice the NPCs. >:3

-Zeno: Johnny Yong Bosch (Lelouch L
-Echo: Michelle Ruff
-Afin: Yuri Lowenthal
-Fourier: Laura Bailey
-Aki: Tara Platt
-Light: Vic Mignona
-Klotho: Liam O'Brien
-Marlu: Stephanie Sheh
-Ohza: Troy Baker
-Jean: Richard Epcar
-Joseph: Kyle Hebert
-Quna: Kari Wahlgren
-Gettumhart/Dark Falz Elder: Patrick Seitz
-"Persona": Matthew Mercer
-Apprentace: Amanda Winn Lee
-Double: Laura Bailey
-Luther/Dark Falz Loser: Yuri Lowenthal

I wouldn't care if the level cap was 40 again. I wouldn't care having only 3 areas instead of 10.
But if my character would start to shout things like "Take this!" or "Prepare yourself!"... I'd run the uninstall.exe faster than you could say weeaboo.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 4, 2014, 04:43 PM
You know you can turn your character's voice off right?

The Walrus
Jul 4, 2014, 04:44 PM
Just choose the no voice option then...

EDIT: im so l8

SilkaN
Jul 4, 2014, 04:45 PM
I don't invest time and money in characters just to do the whole silent protagonist thing.

blace
Jul 4, 2014, 04:46 PM
I don't invest time and money in characters just to do the whole silent protagonist thing.

And the whole silent treatment in the story doesn't lend to that?

Meteor Weapon
Jul 4, 2014, 04:50 PM
Nexon should do it, while Sega JP handles the updates and events for the NA/EU servers.

Random bans everywhere.

SilkaN
Jul 4, 2014, 04:51 PM
And the whole silent treatment in the story doesn't lend to that?

I wasn't talking about story cutscenes.
Who plays PSO2 only for the story mode?

DJcooltrainer
Jul 4, 2014, 04:51 PM
Random bans everywhere.

Also, random pre-teens everywhere. pls don't bring the Maplestory community into PSO2 :(

AlaskanKactus
Jul 4, 2014, 04:53 PM
Now that I think about it, a localized version of PSO2 wouldn't get the Japanese VAs. That would mean we have to choose from Englsih dub actors or not even get the option for custom voices. That's a good part of the character creation fun.

Western PSO2 sounds worse now.

ONTOPIC: I would like Atlus to do it. They're the best from what we have to choose from.

Faranth
Jul 4, 2014, 04:57 PM
Now that I think about it, a localized version of PSO2 wouldn't get the Japanese VAs. That would mean we have to choose from Englsih dub actors or not even get the option for custom voices. That's a good part of the character creation fun.

Western PSO2 sounds worse now.

ONTOPIC: I would like Atlus to do it. They're the best from what we have to choose from.

Indeed Jp seiyuu r neat (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ
why do u think there haven't been an West release? West ppl tend to mess up with stuffs which hold alot of Japanese culture >< (random censor, bad dub, n changes everywhere if u know what i mean)
i cant imagine PSO2 without the nipponic culture or in an West release (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

would turn into a dif game (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

answering the thread .... i cant think of anyone to publish it (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ
lets hold tight n hope for everything to be back to normal asap (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

wohdin
Jul 4, 2014, 05:45 PM
PSO2 is an extremely Japanese game even among Japanese games of similar stature. So yeah, it probably wouldn't translate too well if it got a "full" localization. They really shouldn't even dub it, to be honest. There's no need. No one besides weaboos and the 5 extreme Sega fanboys left in the universe will play it anyway.

That being said, NEXON!

don't kill me

gigawuts
Jul 4, 2014, 06:11 PM
PSO2 is an extremely Japanese game even among Japanese games of similar stature. So yeah, it probably wouldn't translate too well if it got a "full" localization. They really shouldn't even dub it, to be honest. There's no need. No one besides weaboos and the 5 extreme Sega fanboys left in the universe will play it anyway.

That being said, NEXON!

don't kill me

If you think there are just 5 extreme Sega fanboys left you should head on over to deviant art.

ArataWata
Jul 4, 2014, 06:12 PM
Maybe Ncsoft?

Jaquecz
Jul 4, 2014, 06:14 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/325/2/6/weeaboo_alert_by_reddragon569-d4gx2k0.jpg
But to answer the question.
Sega.
Maybe Sony?
Just so long as the publisher is good enough to keep the updates coming.

The_Brimada
Jul 4, 2014, 06:21 PM
I don't know who I'd want it to be, but I do know I definitely wouldn't want it to be Nexon.

Faranth
Jul 4, 2014, 06:25 PM
Maybe Ncsoft?

haha (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ thats impossible tho. but if... if it was possible~ the game would keep as awesome as it is (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

pkemr4
Jul 4, 2014, 06:28 PM
dont want OGPlanet touching PSO2

branflakes325
Jul 4, 2014, 07:28 PM
blizzard

Dan Maku
Jul 4, 2014, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't care if the level cap was 40 again. I wouldn't care having only 3 areas instead of 10.
But if my character would start to shout things like "Take this!" or "Prepare yourself!"... I'd run the uninstall.exe faster than you could say weeaboo.

How would that be any different from Japanese, since the characters are saying the same things, just in a different language?

I'll answer that for you: it's not.

DrCatco
Jul 4, 2014, 09:01 PM
Gamefor-

struck by a million of stones thrown from afar.

Meyfei
Jul 4, 2014, 09:03 PM
Uhm o3o...

Let arks-layer publish it? :p

I'm starting to wonder about this possibility more and more

SilkaN
Jul 5, 2014, 04:38 AM
How would that be any different from Japanese, since the characters are saying the same things, just in a different language?

Do I really need to answer this?
Let me quote you once more:

just in a different language?

You answered it yourself! I prefer JP dubs over Eng dubs! Or rather: I prefer listening to the Japanese language over listening to the English language.
If they put effort in it, even Eng dubs can be good (like Tales of Symphonia), but most of the time, they are NOT.
I tried playing Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening with an English dub, and while FE wasn't as bad as BD (Agnès SHUT UP FFS), I prefer the Japanese dub in both games, as they are far superior in my opinion.

Ezodagrom
Jul 5, 2014, 08:56 AM

I'll answer that for you: it's not.
It's not an issue about the language that is being spoken, but an issue with the voice acting itself.
More often than not, english voice acting in anime styled games tends to sound way too forced for my taste, it just doesn't fit the characters.

SakuRei
Jul 5, 2014, 09:01 AM
If by or somehow that SoA won't handle the PSO2 NA/EU itself, I'd say NIS America / Compile Heart.

Why exactly?

Hyperdimension Neptunia x PSO2 collabs.

Yden
Jul 5, 2014, 09:08 AM
The only f2p company I haven't had any negatives with so far is Gravity, or Warp Portal as they've rebranded themselves to. Then again, I really not invested into RO as much as I am in the old days on private servers.

Meyfei
Jul 5, 2014, 09:09 AM
If by or somehow that SoA won't handle the PSO2 NA/EU itself, I'd say NIS America / Compile Heart.

Why exactly?

Hyperdimension Neptunia x PSO2 collabs.

and is it popular locally? as in around the world, on a marketable scale? :D

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2014, 09:10 AM
Valve, because TF2 crossovers.

SakuRei
Jul 5, 2014, 09:13 AM
and is it popular locally? as in around the world, on a marketable scale? :D

Possibly/plausible, since HdN series is starting/already started to get known ever since the anime itself was released anyways. (IMO of course.)

Aussei
Jul 5, 2014, 10:08 AM
My problem with it being released in America is how it'll be completely different content since it'd be hard to release anime collabs in America and have Americans understand it. Really PSO2 was made for friggin' Japanese people. I think it would be really tough to have it appeal to Americans. Imagine all the bad feedback it'd get for all the lolis, panty shots, etc from angry moms. :( PSO2 in America would be like cup ramen vs PSO2 JP, actual home made ramen with the pork, corn, egg, etc... And then there's the piss poor voice acting. Like what are you gonna do for voice tickets?? It's mostly popular Japanese voice actors, right? Get like.... Jonny Yong Bosch? And then who else? Wendee Lee? Sandy Fox? Collabs with Disney? ROFL. Frozen!? Throw some Adventure Time in there, fucking shows from Adult Swim maybe.... While we're at it fucking put some Avatar in there. Voice ticket for Peter from family guy? Anybody? Bob from Bob's Burgers?

ImaginePSO2gettingcallofdutycollabslmao... Walking Dead collab?? Game of Thrones?! WILFRED?!

Music Discs from Justin beiber's latest album! Kim Kardashian and Kanye West outfits. Look like 50 Cent campaigns? Drake live concert event.

Okay but on a serious note, I don't know who I would want to publish it but whoever it would be I hope that they still release all the same content like maybe just keep the voice acting in fucking Japanese please instead of hiring cheap voice actors cos you can't afford good ones... I'd like to see unique content .... And pls don't get rid of lolis.

Yden
Jul 5, 2014, 10:20 AM
My problem with it being released in America is how it'll be completely different content since it'd be hard to release anime collabs in America and have Americans understand it. Really PSO2 was made for friggin' Japanese people. I think it would be really tough to have it appeal to Americans. Imagine all the bad feedback it'd get for all the lolis, panty shots, etc from angry moms. :( PSO2 in America would be like cup ramen vs PSO2 JP, actual home made ramen with the pork, corn, egg, etc... And then there's the piss poor voice acting. Like what are you gonna do for voice tickets?? It's mostly popular Japanese voice actors, right? Get like.... Jonny Yong Bosch? And then who else? Wendee Lee? Sandy Fox? Collabs with Disney? ROFL. Frozen!? Throw some Adventure Time in there, fucking shows from Adult Swim maybe.... While we're at it fucking put some Avatar in there. Voice ticket for Peter from family guy? Anybody? Bob from Bob's Burgers?

ImaginePSO2gettingcallofdutycollabslmao... Walking Dead collab?? Game of Thrones?! WILFRED?!

Music Discs from Justin beiber's latest album! Kim Kardashian and Kanye West outfits. Look like 50 Cent campaigns? Drake live concert event.

Okay but on a serious note, I don't know who I would want to publish it but whoever it would be I hope that they still release all the same content like maybe just keep the voice acting in fucking Japanese please instead of hiring cheap voice actors cos you can't afford good ones... I'd like to see unique content .... And pls don't get rid of lolis.

Collabs from big name western people/products rarely every happen even in localized MMOs. I really can't think of any example of it actually happening. Localized MMOs do occasionally get anime collabs to happen though like when mabinogi got vocaloid stuff (http://mabinogi.nexon.net/events/hatsune-miku). Actually since Sega has the rights to vocaloid in games in the West, those collabs would be quite easy to get over the the issue with other anime stuff is that the people who own the rights in the west are different from the ones in the Japan.

Aussei
Jul 5, 2014, 10:35 AM
Collabs from big name western people/products rarely every happen even in localized MMOs. I really can't think of any example of it actually happening. Localized MMOs do occasionally get anime collabs to happen though like when mabinogi got vocaloid stuff (http://mabinogi.nexon.net/events/hatsune-miku). Actually since Sega has the rights to vocaloid in games in the West, those collabs would be quite easy to get over the the issue with other anime stuff is that the people who own the rights in the west are different from the ones in the Japan.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why it wont get released in Amurrica.

Yden
Jul 5, 2014, 10:51 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why it wont get released in Amurrica.

I'm not sure why that means anything of the sort. They just won't release the collabs if anything but it doesn't mean it'll stop it from being released.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 5, 2014, 11:25 AM
who do i want to publish it Tecmo Koei

Mystil
Jul 5, 2014, 11:41 AM
Eithet TK or Square Enix.

Meyfei
Jul 5, 2014, 11:58 AM
Possibly/plausible, since HdN series is starting/already started to get known ever since the anime itself was released anyways. (IMO of course.)

crossovers may not happen. Mabinogi got licenses for i think naruto outfits? or bleach? anyway, due to legal nonsense, only the japanese server got it, despite north american rights to air the show, its just dumb things :(

I believe if they did a crossover in the JP, or felt they had the right, they could do one in the NA server but only if the anime has a dub behind it(I think i dunno). Just like a backbone behind the anime, if it's popular- like Attack on Titan, go for it, otherwise not likely profitable.

Its all about catching ones eye. and Thats just what im pointing out- seeing the images from a google search, yeah those would definitely fit PSO2's 1% armor = 100% defense aspect xD

AAneko
Jul 5, 2014, 12:08 PM
Nexon.

BlankM
Jul 5, 2014, 12:10 PM
Probably Tencent if it was possible. All that money.