PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on pso2 alternatives?!

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 11:41 AM
I know there's already a thread on "what people will play" but this is what people consider the closest in play style, theme etc to pso2.

Had a go with Vindictus and was left a bit disappointed. Not being a huge gamer myself, i was wondering what peoples ideas are?
Currently downloading Tera to give that a go.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 5, 2014, 11:53 AM
http://youtu.be/klSI4SFSEPQ check it out see what you think

Kilich
Jul 5, 2014, 12:09 PM
None for now.
Maybe when Tree of Saviour ( Ragnarok Online 1 fame) will be released, there'll be one.
Just to note, there are games with great combat, but they are either very ping demanding, like BnS where having +100ms is limiting your class choice to 1, or Korea only.

The alternatives like Tera, Vindictus and such are lacking one, or more things that PSO2 gathered in one package.

Yamishi
Jul 5, 2014, 12:17 PM
Here's what I want in an online RPG:

Decent gameplay (no point and click and watch things die like WoW and Guild Wars)
Sci fi (I want to be a robot, dammit)
Waifus o3o

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 12:48 PM
None for now.
Maybe when Tree of Saviour ( Ragnarok Online 1 fame) will be released, there'll be one.
Just to note, there are games with great combat, but they are either very ping demanding, like BnS where having +100ms is limiting your class choice to 1, or Korea only.

The alternatives like Tera, Vindictus and such are lacking one, or more things that PSO2 gathered in one package.

Ya i've seen Blade and Sword but heard it was almost unplayable. Also just cant be doing with another foreign sign up. WHY ARE YOU SO GOOD PSO2................spoilt me.

Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it.

On a side note, not much info on it yet but Skyforge looks like it could be promising. You should all check it out. Sci fi/fantasy.

Faranth
Jul 5, 2014, 12:53 PM

Decent gameplay (no point and click and watch things die like WoW and Guild Wars)
Waifus o3o

+1 ww

MrladyBoy i am afraid u wont find a game similar to PSO~ the series have been quite unique since old times (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ (at least imo)

SakoHaruo
Jul 5, 2014, 01:05 PM
play Blade and Soul JP. The only competent version of the game. KR and CN version fucking sux for foreigners.

SilenWhisper
Jul 5, 2014, 01:11 PM

Waifus o3o
Cosmic Break

Forum User Y
Jul 5, 2014, 01:46 PM
play Blade and Soul JP. The only competent version of the game. KR and CN version fucking sux for foreigners.

Could you please provide some details? Currently downloading Chinese version because i had an easier time finding guides for it =/
Isn't the JP version going to have a subscription fee for example? I thought i red that, wich made me choose the F2P model version.

Edit : Currently semi-preparing stuff for JP version, i didn't start anything yet.

Edit 2 :
Q: Will BnS JP be Free to Play?
A: No, it will follow a Pay to Play model and costs ¥3,000 a month.

Isn't like 25-30 Euros per month? =s

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It is P2P atm (and probably wont change), but it's the only playable version of the game. If you can deal with having over 300 ping, dying 24/7 because you can't block attacks, being a burden to your party members because you attack too slow, then BnS CN is the game for you. Soloing isn't an option since you can't attack, and using wtfast or any ping booster wont change a thing. In the JP version my ping isn't even half of what it was in CN.

Edit : Allright thank you. I was, like you figured, planning on trying those boosters everyone talks about on CN version and see how it goes. Obviously if it's unplayable i won't play. I don't think i'll play JP either it's too expensive for my wallet.

B&S looks really great. I think i should be doing my first attempt tonight (one hour download left).

SakoHaruo
Jul 5, 2014, 02:09 PM
Could you please provide some details? Currently downloading Chinese version because i had an easier time finding guides for it =/
Isn't the JP version going to have a subscription fee for example? I thought i red that, wich made me choose the F2P model version.

Edit : Currently semi-preparing stuff for JP version, i didn't start anything yet.

Edit 2 :
Q: Will BnS JP be Free to Play?
A: No, it will follow a Pay to Play model and costs ¥3,000 a month.

Isn't like 25-30 Euros per month? =s

It is P2P atm (and probably wont change), but it's the only playable version of the game. If you can deal with having over 300 ping, dying 24/7 because you can't block attacks, being a burden to your party members because you attack too slow, then BnS CN is the game for you. Soloing isn't an option since you can't attack, and using wtfast or any ping booster wont change a thing. In the JP version my ping isn't even half of what it was in CN.

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 02:41 PM
+1 ww

MrladyBoy i am afraid u wont find a game similar to PSO~ the series have been quite unique since old times (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ (at least imo)

Yep, i totally agree with you there. Just living in hope.

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 04:18 PM
http://youtu.be/klSI4SFSEPQ check it out see what you think

Sorry miyuki didn't see this till now. Yeah looks good, was another on my list to try along with soul worker and skyforge (when they come out).

Nulve
Jul 5, 2014, 04:28 PM
Try Onigiri: http://onigiri.cyberstep.com/#

Friyn
Jul 5, 2014, 05:50 PM
Vindictus, it's a horrible p2win gear with SHIT character progression and lack of content worse than PSO2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCtm6lYzH4

SakoHaruo
Jul 5, 2014, 05:56 PM
but it has better boobs and ass. You can't deny them that. o3o

rip simple users

Forum User Y
Jul 5, 2014, 06:13 PM
My B&S adventure is not starting good, and i find Onigri too .. cheap.

I don't wanna play Tera .. or Vindictus..

Someone on PSO-W mentionned the opening BETA of Swordsman ONLINE, wich seems cool. Not very PSO-like though, but it's action.

I wasn't into asian games before i just had few friends into it. Now that I had a good experience from PSO1 & 2, it's extremly difficult to go back to Occidental games, or games that occident importe to chose (for example they imported Wildstar before they import B&S). The market ain't just appealing to me anymore.

I used to be a huge fan of GW2 and diablo 1, 2, 3, and Sacred etc.
I, can't, stand, hack'n slash or MMO hack'n slash, anymore. Compared to PSO2 it is incredibly boring.

People keep saying it's easy to find better than PSO2 because PSO2 is so bad, but, i don't find. Honestly the only serious thing i heard about was B&S.
I don't wanna be offensive toward the propositions, what i qualify by serious is just my personnal tastes, and PSO2 was corresponding a lot, a lot, to what i wanted from my favorite game.

Onigrini is installed and i played a little bit but it's a joke to "go back" to this after PSO2. It's basically a mini PSO and that's like, just reminding me of how awesome PSO2 was, it justs make it more frustrating. But it sure is the exacte type of game in my opinion.

So what else? 2 games?

Hum, big post here. But hey, needed to get that out. And to insist by the way, please, keep proposing, although i think this should be in the general section or whatever you call it, not in the PSO section cause many people probably don't care.

I typed "asian mmo" in google lol, well, the basics when you don't know anything about this gaming univers. Heard of Black Desert Online, wich looks very cool. I don't remember the details, you guys probably know better than me, but i think it's not going to be playable for me anytime soon, right?

Well that's pretty much it, Black Desert (not even sure it's really PSO-like), and B&S.

Well there is always the possibility of playing B&S JP, but god .. the price.

Edit :

Oh, forgot about Kritika, thanks for the video. Wich is by the way the only thing i know about it so far but, see, are there many games like this one or not? I wouldn't know, since they don't even exist here, and i don't know how you guys discover them in the first place.

Edit 2:

Kritika looks fine (yeah i look at graphics first. Wich is why Onigrini.. meh). I'm certainly gonna give it a shot. Soon.

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 06:39 PM
Vindictus was definately not my thing!!!! Not bit into aesthetics but come on, i dont want to look like oliver twist from the get go! That aside. pretty annoying instance intance instance gameplay with ok-ish combat.

Thanks for the onigiri shout. Was meaning to try that but totally forgot about it.

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 07:12 PM
You guys should check these videos out. Looks like it could be a winner. Even if pso does come back this looks pretty damn good. Action and fight style will be extremely similar according to the guys in the skyforge forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4y4Qz7v6pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xytb1tUlul4

enjoy, and share your thoughts :D

Forum User Y
Jul 5, 2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks for digging into it. I agree, this looks good. I finish my Elsword install (lol) and i get into that.

Edit :

featuring exciting dynamic combat inspired by console action games

The perfect words ...

Edit 2 :

http://sf.my.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=474&pageNo=2

Well another waiting game actually. On the list, just like B&S etc.
Some people even think beginning 2015 so i'm not gonna torture myself.
Game's look awesome btw.

MRLADYBOY
Jul 5, 2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for digging into it. I agree, this looks good. I finish my Elsword install (lol) and i get into that.

Edit :

featuring exciting dynamic combat inspired by console action games

The perfect words ...

Edit 2 :

http://sf.my.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=474&pageNo=2

Well another waiting game actually. On the list, just like B&S etc.
Some people even think beginning 2015 so i'm not gonna torture myself.
Game's look awesome btw.

Haha. Made me laugh.

Yeah its a while away, you should sign up for beta.

Wintermute0
Jul 5, 2014, 07:56 PM
Have you tried playing Monster Hunter? It's similar to PSO in a completely-different-sort-of-way.

Sanguine2009
Jul 5, 2014, 08:00 PM
monster hunter or similar hunter type games are probably the closest you can get to PSO2. that said they are still fairly different

Forum User Y
Jul 5, 2014, 08:01 PM
Have you tried playing Monster Hunter?

Actually .. no, and heard .. a lot of good about it.

What are the current playable versions please? I'm very busy atm and just found a few videos from Chinese (i think 28 June 2013 Chinese Beta).

The game isn't available in US right?

Edit : I'm also given to understand this is P2P? At least for the JP version.

The Walrus
Jul 5, 2014, 08:19 PM
Newest MonHun in the US is MH3U for Wii U and 3DS with MH4U coming out for 3DS next year.

3U has online only for Wii U

Forum User Y
Jul 5, 2014, 08:30 PM
Missed the very recent Closed BETA for the new Monster Hunter Online.

Big, big, bummer ..

The one with cry engine 3.

Edit :

http://www.mmofront.com/mmo/action-rpg

This page gives BETA statut for various MMO, i think it's pretty cool. Gonna have a look at this list.

The Walrus
Jul 5, 2014, 08:33 PM
Also the one that isn't being directly made by Capcom. Which is a little worrisome

Dan Maku
Jul 5, 2014, 09:00 PM
I'm thinking of playing Mabinogi. I've played around in it a little tiny bit, but haven't really delved into it yet.

TaigaUC
Jul 5, 2014, 10:34 PM
Played Blade and Soul CN for a few months. I have around 170ms latency.
Don't really recommend playing it if you can't get below 200ms at the very least.
The game's still playable, but frustratingly so because you'll never be able to beat the latest/hardest endgame content unless you pay a fortune and max everything out, or wait until they nerf it.
And yeah, only one class doesn't rely super-heavily on latency, but it still performs worse in lag.

Is it a good game? Well, it's better than TERA. It's not a true action game like Vindictus or PSO2.
But endgame and the story in general are lacking to me. Maybe it'll improve with the next content update.
If anything, it's a decent game to mess around in for maybe a month or so. Looks nice, etc.

If you're not specifically looking for MMOs, I recommend Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 & 2.

xxmadplayerxx
Jul 5, 2014, 10:42 PM
I am playing dungeon siege 3, its a great game. ^^ I think its gameplay is similar to PSO2 but not exactly like. it helps pass the time till we can get back on.

infiniteeverlasting
Jul 5, 2014, 10:43 PM
i'm going to regret saying this but....
maybe maplestory 2? when it comes out?

LonelyGaruga
Jul 5, 2014, 11:02 PM

What are the current playable versions please? I'm very busy atm and just found a few videos from Chinese (i think 28 June 2013 Chinese Beta).

Monster Hunter has no available MMO style games currently available in NA (at least, not officially supported ones). It does, however, have multiple releases on consoles and handhelds. Most people I've heard from that played both normal release games and Monster Hunter Frontier hold the former to be superior. I myself have not yet played Frontier, so I can't provide my own opinion.

Currently, the MH games to look at would be Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The former is a PSP installment, the latter is 3DS and Wii U. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (sandwiched between MHFU and MH3U) and Monster Hunter 4 (most recent release) are released exclusively in Japan, but are worth looking into if you want to try them out. MHP3rd is a PSP installment with a PS3 HD release, MH4 is 3DS exclusively. MH, along with DDFF, were practically the only games I played before starting PSO2. Been playing MH more often since the server problem began.

gigawuts
Jul 5, 2014, 11:15 PM
MH, or at least MH3U, is basically PSO1 without the cyberpunk or endless trash mob slaughtering, but with particular monster fighting and item crafting. The soul of the game is very similar - you look for stuff that does stuff. Different items are good at different things, and you want them for different reasons. This sword here, that sword there, a hammer here, a gun there, etc.

Instead of hunting a 1/1,800 droprate rare, you hunt a 1/50 droprate rare part...with three or more chances per enemy. The rates are significantly better, but fights tend to last longer. The items with the lowest rates in the game are usually about 10% chance per run in the right mission. That said, you might need more than one for different things, i.e. a piece of armor in addition to your weapon.

Fighting enemies is more about pattern recognition and building to counter their abilities. Something has a roar that makes your character cower? Bring earplugs. Something smashes the ground a lot? Bring tremor resistance. Something has poison? Bring poison immunity. Learn where they attack and where they go to eat, sleep, etc.

There are no character levels, but both you and the gear you can make get better as you progress. You don't fight an enemy just once, and the first time is a learning experience. Honestly, it feels like a spiritual successor to PSO1 in ways PSO2 will never be.

It's good for both solo and cooperative play - I put 300 hours into the 3DS version solo. I've put about another 300 into it since getting a Wii U. The Wii U version can go online freely, but the 3DS version requires a Wii U to go online. I know, it's stupid. The 3DS can do local play just fine though.

blueyou
Jul 6, 2014, 12:45 AM
from my experience, imo Dragon Nest comes 2nd to pso2. It was fun, just lacked alot of content back when i played (40 cap) but the game should be more complete now.

ps: looking forward to try eyedentity's new game Dungeon Striker

Wintermute0
Jul 11, 2014, 05:04 PM

Edit : I'm also given to understand this is P2P? At least for the JP version.

I don't know where all these people are getting the idea that Monster Hunter doesn't have a current-gen online multiplayer game available... guess what people: It does.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate can be bought and played on the 3DS and the Wii U. The Wii U version features an online mode where you can play with other people around the world. The 3DS version has local-multiplayer only. I have both versions myself.

Both of these games are available in NA, EU, and JP regions.

ArataWata
Jul 11, 2014, 06:19 PM
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity.

Alineah
Jul 12, 2014, 11:54 AM
from my experience, imo Dragon Nest comes 2nd to pso2. It was fun, just lacked alot of content back when i played (40 cap) but the game should be more complete now.

ps: looking forward to try eyedentity's new game Dungeon Striker

yep you should go for dragon's nest

blace
Jul 12, 2014, 11:58 AM
I remember when DN had the level cap at 24 and during that time I had a bit of fun with it.

It's been a year or two since I last played it, but this should at least show what it can offer.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q5NjAyJ4UU

At the very least, you don't need to mash and spam a certain powerful PA to clear everything.

Shiyo
Jul 12, 2014, 01:01 PM
Monster hunter is the best you're going to get.

Warframe for MMO, really fun game with lots to work towards.

Origiri was AMAZING but I only played it to like level5 in the closed beta week. Had lots of potential.

blace
Jul 12, 2014, 01:30 PM
Monster hunter is the best you're going to get.

Warframe for MMO, really fun game with lots to work towards.

Origiri was AMAZING but I only played it to like level5 in the closed beta week. Had lots of potential.
Monster Hunter is similar by far.

Warframe's grindy and puts off a lot of potential new players because of the steep grind to get a decent set of gear and even then, people mostly stick to high damage and speed run through missions. Probably suits a lot of people here with that wording.