PDA

View Full Version : IP block?

RmxVer
Jul 7, 2014, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this.
I was thinking about coming back into the game since i haven't played for a year but as i was trying to get into the website it said connection error/problem and as i came to the forums people are talking about VPN's so does this game have IP blocks all over the world?

AkumaYouji
Jul 7, 2014, 11:03 AM
Hello,

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this.
I was thinking about coming back into the game since i haven't played for a year but as i was trying to get into the website it said connection error/problem and as i came to the forums people are talking about VPN's so does this game have IP blocks all over the world?

there was a DDoS attack and most foreigners can't connect anymore. No IP block was mentioned and most say its OUR ISP's that are blocking our connections as a DDoS counter measure. You can connect through a vpn or just wait till we can normally connect again,

RmxVer
Jul 7, 2014, 11:06 AM
there was a DDoS attack and most foreigners can't connect anymore. No IP block was mentioned and most say its OUR ISP's that are blocking our connections as a DDoS counter measure. You can connect through a vpn or just wait till we can normally connect again,

Thank you for the quick reply, ill be waiting if the connection comes back someday.

SilkaN
Jul 7, 2014, 11:12 AM
if the connection comes back someday.

:sleep:

Ezodagrom
Jul 7, 2014, 11:21 AM
I really don't think this is just a ISP issue, the timing just doesn't make sense for it to be from the ISP side, it makes more sense for it to be from SEGA's side...

When the pso2 website was brought back, people could access it, the next day the servers were brought back with the DDoS protection measures, most people outside Japan stopped being able to access the page and couldn't connect to the game, and when maintenance happened, some people stopped being able to connect and others started being able to connect.

Either this is a huge coincidence, or it's from SEGA's side.

Kondibon
Jul 7, 2014, 11:32 AM
I really don't think this is just a ISP issue, the timing just doesn't make sense for it to be from the ISP side, it makes more sense for it to be from SEGA's side...

When the pso2 website was brought back, people could access it, the next day the servers were brought back with the DDoS protection measures, most people outside Japan stopped being able to access the page and couldn't connect to the game, and when maintenance happened, some people stopped being able to connect and others started being able to connect.

Either this is a huge coincidence, or it's from SEGA's side.It's enitrely possible that it IS on the ISP side, but at SEGA's request.

Sizustar
Jul 7, 2014, 11:34 AM

Either this is a huge coincidence, or it's from SEGA's side.

Except when you run a tracert, the connection doesn't leave the ISP server.
That's not how a IP block work.

Ezodagrom
Jul 7, 2014, 11:36 AM
Except when you run a tracert, the connection doesn't leave the ISP server.
That's not how a IP block work.
Except for me it does, I reach JP IPs, but still can't reach PSO2...

http://i.imgur.com/cnCXjhE.jpg

NoiseHERO
Jul 7, 2014, 11:44 AM
There's scattered mixed results for different people.

Way I see it, SEGA did everything they could to defend against this attack, and just made a stupid mess, expectably from SEGA. Then they were in a rush to clean everything up, and it just so happens that doing so for us would take extra work and probably leave em vulnerable for more attacks.

So they just said fuckit and killed 3 birds with 1 stone, laziness in terms of fixing it for foreigners, an excuse to enforce TOS but not really and leaving a maze for intruders in case another attack comes.

For some people under some ISPs the problem might fix itself, whether that happens or not, I wouldn't be surprised if others were permanently screwed without a VPN regardless. So if you wanna play, you may as well find a work-around now instead of waiting. But if you do wait, if there's nothing after a month stop waitin'. <_<;;;

moorebounce
Jul 7, 2014, 03:37 PM
Except for me it does, I reach JP IPs, but still can't reach PSO2...

That's because your ISP is blocking only PSO2 servers and the PSo2 website because of the attack. All TWC customers are fine and a few other ISPs. Once they feel it's safe they'll let you connect. It depends on your ISP when that will or even happen.

TsukasaHiiragi
Jul 7, 2014, 05:25 PM
I've been on vacation so I wasn't actively checking on whats been happening in regards to the supposed IP Block/Backbone Block. But honestly, its looking hard not to point some fingers at Sega here - At the place I was staying in had Fios and I couldn't connect there, and my home service (Comcast) is still blocked apparently.

I'm going to ask comcast to look at this in more detail, hopefully I don't get a level 1 tech though.

fruiteaterz
Jul 7, 2014, 05:33 PM
yes there is an IP block. deal with it =P

reaper527
Jul 7, 2014, 05:48 PM
yes there is an IP block. deal with it =P

if you overlook the fact that there is no evidence to support this claim of course.

Zipzo
Jul 7, 2014, 09:07 PM
if you overlook the fact that there is no evidence to support this claim of course.

What does it matter if the end result is effectively the same?

Sierhiet
Jul 7, 2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted for emphasis... I don't quite understand the near militant denial of any type of block if the end result is the same, and there is no way to directly get any information to support or refute any theory, let alone fix the problem at hand.

A block is a block. Whether or not it is a full blown IP block or ISP issue is irrelevant. The fact that these blocks ensued and changed as a direct result of maintenance is no coincidence.

reaper527
Jul 7, 2014, 09:36 PM

because the end result isn't the same, and neither are the expectations. temporary routing issues are very different from a sega policy of blocking foreign ip's.

the difference also has direct impact on what you can do in order to attempt to get the problem solved.