PDA

View Full Version : Just talked with CenturyLink

SquashDemon
Jul 7, 2014, 02:31 PM
They actually confirmed that they were blocking access to the website from their isp. And said that the block removal request needed to come from the person who initially requested it as well. I had them make a case for me, see if there's any way they can take the block away without Sega asking them to.

We're probably going to miss the 9th though >.>;

Noc Codez
Jul 7, 2014, 02:53 PM
Lol just got off with version and they said the same exact thing. Things are not looking good

Velad
Jul 7, 2014, 03:13 PM
Well... whatever happens, happens. Who knows, maybe folks will suddenly be able to connect normally again, or they'll finally announce the release date for PSO2 NA/EU... hah.... couldn't even keep a straight face typing that out.

reaper527
Jul 7, 2014, 03:25 PM
Well... whatever happens, happens. Who knows, maybe folks will suddenly be able to connect normally again

seeing as some isp's can get further along the tracert process than they could before now, it definitely seems like it's only a matter of time until this happens.

Enforcer MKV
Jul 7, 2014, 04:00 PM
They actually confirmed that they were blocking access to the website from their isp. And said that the block removal request needed to come from the person who initially requested it as well. I had them make a case for me, see if there's any way they can take the block away without Sega asking them to.

We're probably going to miss the 9th though >.>;

Did they confirm that Sega was in fact the one that requested the block, though? From my understanding some companies have an automated process that responds to activity similar to DDoS attacks. Is that not the case here?

[Yes, I know what's being implied/hinted/almost overtly said. I'm just double checking.]

BIG OLAF
Jul 7, 2014, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see more ips blocked after this weeks maintenance, get ready TWC and others.

Why would they work backwards? ISPs that unblocked PSO2 and the website have no reason to re-block it now. The "danger" has passed, and now it's up to the ISPs that are still currently blocking it to figure that out, if they ever do.

Your logic isn't sound.

TsukasaHiiragi
Jul 7, 2014, 05:42 PM
There are two types of backbone block, one thats automated usually when triggered by intense activity like DDOS, and another which is specifically requested by a third-party. Its entirely possible for Sega to ask a major provided like Cogent or Level3 to block access entirely (This is how mass IP blocks happen btw)

Considering the DDoS attack is pretty much done, there isn't any reason why the automated blocks would end soon as everything returned to a more normal state, however with a 3rd Party request, those blocks could stay up indefinitely - and we all know Sega would never admit to it because the backlash they would receive would be intense, and would lead to even more attacks.

Basically, consider this- most automated blocks usually end within a month of the initial trigger depending on how severe the attack and if the attack is still continuing etc - so basically, its going to boil down to this -

1) All foreign ISPs (Except Sea) will have access roughly July 22nd/23rd sometime, basically 1 month after the attack started.

Or

2) By this time, there is still massive blocks in place then you can fully assume Sega have requested a large scale IP Block for many foreign ISPS - And you know, that'll bite them in the behind at some point.

Shinamori
Jul 7, 2014, 06:40 PM
Welp. If number 2's the case, I'll use that amazon thing..

pkemr4
Jul 7, 2014, 06:52 PM
well fuck.

gigawuts
Jul 7, 2014, 07:02 PM
I'm not surprised this is the case, but I am surprised you got a straight answer out of them.

blackstar
Jul 7, 2014, 08:14 PM
At least you got a response other than "It's not us. We don't do that sort of thing."

I really do hope SEGA does contact the remaining providers after the next maintenance. I am more of a "wait and see" sort of person, but I found this on the PSO2 Blog. if I'm reading this right, were all screwed.

Phantasy Star series official blog-dra
"Phantasy Star Online 2" is the producer of Sakai ("PSO2" below). With a July 4, 2014 today, "PSO2" celebrated its second anniversary from the official service. That it was able to celebrate the second anniversary alright, nothing more than that thanks to everyone who have supported. Thank you very much. You feel like you came quickly ran through from the service in, but there was a lot of things really. However, I was able while being encouraged by the voice of pep talk warm everyone Kudasaru support, to continue to here. There was a great difficulty to say DDoS attacks recently, but restart the game service somehow, one week has passed. Resume Initially, there are situations such as line disconnection occur frequently, we apologize for the inconvenience, but it is likely that the corresponding maintenance on Wednesday, except for some environment, line cutting and the like are almost eliminated. Also the number of connections after resuming from the service stop, was down slightly, up big Wednesday after the update, we have recovered to the level of service before stopping. [/U]Everyone, thank you very much it was I am waiting for a service restart. Unfortunately, it is not possible to resume projection "PSO2es" yet. After an update of the application is required for the measures, on the relationship between the approval application process for this, please understand that I have some time to resume service. You are able to plan a mid-July resume, I am very sorry, but we ask that you be patient. I think the future, towards the episode 3, update eventful since followed, and you can be raised more and more. Please look forward to the future even more fun in the future, it will change to "PSO2". Continue, thank you the Phantasy Star series, as well as "PSO2" in the future. ---------------- Well today, new event system "Arks ship tournament" has been started. It is a tournament of in groups of five ship of 10. Alliance membership division for the first time looks like the following. Red Crappie: ship05/ship09 blue Crappie: ship04/ship06 yellow Crappie: ship02/ship08 green Crappie: Ship01/ship07 Ship03/ship10: White Crappie for several days, in units of "1 round" every 12 hours holding period of the event are treated, "winning points" is given from a group of high-order in each round, group "total victory point" was the most in all of the events at the end is the winner. "Whether clear the quest of specific!" And "! Defeat the enemy specific," "round target" is set in each round, with the player character to achieve this round goal, a "star", "contribution I can earn points. " If the duration of the ARCS ship tournament of Akuma in the "prize shop", it is possible to buy and boost items that can help you to consume a star, a fun item, please won a star with the goal of this by all means. ARCS ship tournament, please join us. I also let me raise the announcement page of "Phantasy Star Thanksgiving 2014ONLINE prequel" Part2 today. I created a sensation at Thanksgiving Tokyo venue, and the 2nd "Hatsune Miku" collaboration, the appearance of that "AIS", "mining base defense: despair" will be delivered finally.

Shinamori
Jul 7, 2014, 08:21 PM
Was that a GoogleTranslation?

NoiseHERO
Jul 7, 2014, 08:22 PM
Was that a GoogleTranslation?

It hurt my eyes as much as one did.

SquashDemon
Jul 8, 2014, 02:20 PM
I'm not surprised this is the case, but I am surprised you got a straight answer out of them.

I had to escalate twice; but yeah, it took a while.