PDA

View Full Version : Should I Upgrade my Media PC or Just Make a New One?

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 06:48 PM
Back in this old topic of mine, I asked if I should upgrade my CPU. I stated that I would make a video showing how the game runs. So ya, I recorded the game running with Taksman on top of it to see the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0G-0xAR3g

CPU:
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

RAM:
4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB

Motherboard:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-MX SE Rev x.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0406 09/27/2007

Video Card:
Asus Geforce GT 630 Video Card 2Gb DDR3

Other stuff I do on my Media PC: Web, Video Streaming, Local Video and Audio Playback.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 09:54 PM
Ok well I can tell you my experience that made me decide to build a whole new computer, put it simple it was before they nerfed exit bursts, was doing wind and rain when we got a good set up for a burst, we are all close to the exit when the burst started, wasn't so bad the first few seconds, but when all the tech spam came out, that pretty much lagged me all to hell. I didn't mind the longer loading times when changing blocks or leaving campship to hit the field but the lag during a PSE burst just killed it for me. You're pretty much running the same CPU I used to have. By the way if you do change your CPU you're most likely gonna need to get a new motherboard to match the chipset. 8gb ram is pretty much the standard for most systems, your graphics card should be fine. Cpu wise I would recommend anything over 3.5 Ghz, just in case you do get into another game that has high system demands. You're gonna get mixed opinions on either Intel or AMD though, all depends on what kind of budget you're gonna be working with for a PC.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:00 PM
also with a more powerful CPU you're going to need a better cooling system for it, which will most likely lead to you having to get a bigger system case to meet the cooling needs. Stock fans are a no no.

Jungo Torii
Jul 7, 2014, 10:06 PM
If you can easily upgrade your PC I'd suggest getting some RAM sticks to bring your RAM up to 8GB. Definitely upgrade the CPU since in the video it seems to be getting tons of usage. Intel or AMD are fine brandwise; I'd personally recommend an Intel i5 clocked at at least 2.5Ghz or so (probably higher). GPU, I'm not sure what you're working with budget-wise, but maybe a GTX660?

I mean, the game seems to run pretty alright, but a few upgrades definitely wouldn't hurt at all.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:09 PM
JUNGOOOOOOOO
When you gonna come back and walk the dinosaur?

Jungo Torii
Jul 7, 2014, 10:10 PM
JUNGOOOOOOOO
When you gonna come back and walk the dinosaur?

When the game works, or when I'm not too lazy to use VPN programs.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:18 PM
eh lot of people are saying it's on the ISP side not PSO2 side, I know mine connects for the time being. but haven't really been playing it cause of pretty much hardly anyone on. Oh by the way I didn't intentionally steal your team mates *cough*

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 10:21 PM
Why would RAM be an issue? When playing PSO2, it doesn't even reach half of the 4GB I have at the moment, I don't see how having 8GB would make any difference in the performance.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:23 PM
anyways back on topic, they do make some good powerful CPU's at a fair decent price, so I would look at Newegg and shop around they usually have bundle deals on CPU's and Motherboards that might catch your interest.

Jungo Torii
Jul 7, 2014, 10:24 PM
Why would RAM be an issue? When playing PSO2, it doesn't even reach half of the 4GB I have at the moment, I don't see how having 8GB would make any difference in the performance.

The RAM is probably less necessary, but it just frees up some more room for multitasking. If you don't bother with that sort of thing and don't see yourself ever doing it, you can forego that purchase. RAM is pretty dang cheap though.

eh lot of people are saying it's on the ISP side not PSO2 side, I know mine connects for the time being. but haven't really been playing it cause of pretty much hardly anyone on. Oh by the way I didn't intentionally steal your team mates *cough*

No resentment here. Our team was dead on PSO2 for a long time. We're all still in the same Skype group regardless, so it doesn't really matter.

MegaRocker1987
Jul 7, 2014, 10:26 PM
lashette is right but i got 3 case fans in my baby and a corsair h100i liquid cooling unit installed and my processor never even gets warm so invest in one trust me u wont regret it xD

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:27 PM
Ram isn't really, but pretty much for gaming standards 8 is recommended you really don't need much more than that, also are you monitoring the ram and CPU usage during an active MPA with lots of flashy special effects flying around? cause just running around in the lobby or being on the field by yourself isn't really that good of a test on how the system is running in game.

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 10:33 PM
Ram isn't really, but pretty much for gaming standards 8 is recommended you really don't need much more than that, also are you monitoring the ram and CPU usage during an active MPA with lots of flashy special effects flying around? cause just running around in the lobby or being on the field by yourself isn't really that good of a test on how the system is running in game.

Actually, the lobby is where I experience the most lag, I have to put those 3 slider settings to low before getting back in the lobby

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:34 PM
http://prntscr.com/40hurl this a screeny I took from a site that list the requirements right from the box. The minimum you can get away with, but most your setting are going to need to be set to close to the lowest setting Recommended requirements would be the way to go, or better.

Faranth
Jul 7, 2014, 10:39 PM
I recommend u making up a new machine w. (`・ω・´)
Upgrading your current machine seems a bit of a waste ><, n its not like u can go much further with it (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

btw, your current motherboard even thought it should support 4gb, it dsnt (not really ww).
anyways, indeed RAM is not the issue for pso to b lagging (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 10:44 PM
Already pointed out they would most likely have to get a new motherboard if they changed the CPU, to match the chipset but yeah, you would have to get ram that matches too. But yeah you're pretty much looking at building a whole new system if you don't think you can keep running with your old system. TBH if you do you really wont regret it.

Faranth
Jul 7, 2014, 10:44 PM
Already pointed out they would most likely have to get a new motherboard if they changed the CPU, to match the chipset but yeah, you would have to get ram that matches too. But yeah you're pretty much looking at building a whole new system if you don't think you can keep running with your own system. TBH if you do you really wont regret it.

+1 (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 10:57 PM
http://prntscr.com/40hurl this a screeny I took from a site that list the requirements right from the box. The minimum you can get away with, but most your setting are going to need to be set to close to the lowest setting Recommended requirements would be the way to go, or better.

Well there' my problem, my AMD is a 4200+ I don't even have the minimum :p

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 11:04 PM
lol well we were all saying the CPU, but yeah if it's not even meeting the system requirement you best bet is building a new one, cause like I said with new CPU, you pretty much need new motherboard to match the chipset. New ram to match the CPU and Motherboard. a new cooling system for your CPU, cause stock cooling is a big no no. New case to match cooling needs, cause depending on how you cool your system some of them aren't small and you need a bigger case for it to fit.

mctastee
Jul 7, 2014, 11:08 PM
also with a more powerful CPU you're going to need a better cooling system for it, which will most likely lead to you having to get a bigger system case to meet the cooling needs. Stock fans are a no no.

This is completely false. Stock fans are fine if you have no plans to overclock your cpu.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 11:11 PM
lmfao ok see you in a couple years when you asking for recommended CPU's cause yours burned out cause you used a stock fan for a more powerful CPU.

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 11:12 PM
This is completely false. Stock fans are fine if you have no plans to overclock your cpu.

I agree, I've always used them and never had issues and I had this computer for over 6 years. Hell, my old T-Bird 1.3Ghz from early 2000' still works.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 11:13 PM
You're also running a lower end CPU too

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 11:16 PM
then again I would never put a stock fan on a powerful processor in the first place. I like my stuff to last a long time.

the_importer_
Jul 7, 2014, 11:25 PM
You're also running a lower end CPU too

Clearly you're not familiar with the old AMD CPUs. The T-birds were known to be the hottest CPUs at the time, could practically cook your dinner on them. Also, the stock fans at the time were made to accommodate them just like they do for the newer ones today. Yes, if you're a power user, better cooling if a must, but for what I do my PCs, stock fans are more than enough.

The majority of consumers will use the fan that came with their CPU. By your logic, Intel and AMD must be bombarded with RMAs because the CPUs aren't lasting 2 years. Pretty sure these guys know what they're doing.

Lashette
Jul 7, 2014, 11:36 PM
I'm sure they do. So no point arguing about it, I live by the rule better safe than sorry. So it's really personal preference I suppose. If you don't plan on ever overclocking, or running anything that's really going to tax your CPU and make it run hot. so forget cooling then.

Nitro Vordex
Jul 7, 2014, 11:57 PM
Stock fans are more than enough for the average gamer. Anyone who needs any kind of aftermarket cooler is looking for high end overclocking and gaming rigs. A general user can get away with ANY CPU stock fan. I've had my CPU on a stock fan for the better part of four years without overclocking, and I've had no problems.

That being said, OP should definitely upgrade. Get a mobo+CPU combo, and upgrade your ram sticks. Something the OP did not mention is if he/she was running DDR1/2/3. But get to DDR3, it's cheap. 8 GB is definitely the recommended for PC gaming.

Edson Drake
Jul 8, 2014, 02:09 AM
Yes, the vid only showed an empty lobby and no PSE Burst with 11 Forces using Il Megid on everything.

However, I noticed small hiccups here and there, which show the age of your equipment. As I mentioned in that thread and the same as people are saying here, it's best to invest in a new computer altogether, this not only for PSO2 but for future-proofing your machine.

If you don't have money right now, at least seems you can play. I'd save up for a new machine. If you go this route you'll need to post a budget so we can indicate where you can go from there.

Also, on stock fans: yes they do work. I still buy better heatsinks. Why? Better performance, even without overclock and most importantly, silence. Noise these days really add up, and when you have over 3 fans blowing max speed, plus gfx card fans, the processor fan, which should be loudest of them only make matters worse.

You can just try them out yourself. See if you can cope with the heat and noise, if you can, stick with stock. If you can't, buy a better heatsink, that's what I did and I don't regret it.

the_importer_
Jul 12, 2014, 04:48 PM
Hi guys, just an update. Yesterday, I went to a computer store and bought myself the following:

-Mini-ITX Case (http://www.apextechusa.com/products.asp?pID=171)
-Intel i3 CPU 3.5GHz
-8GB of DDR3 (2X4)
-ASUS H78I-Plus motherboard

I set everything up and transferred my SSD and video card from my previous media PC into it. My previous board was an old one, so Windows 7 had all of the drivers minus my video card one, so I didn't really have any problems by not re-installing Windows, I simply installed the drivers of the new board.

So the results, the loading lag is gone and almost all of the lobby lag is gone as well (guessing the rest must be cause I'm playing on a Japanese server).

Only thing left, modify the side of the casing's cover because it won't close because my video card's heat sink :(