PDA

View Full Version : So I called my ISP and actually got some concrete information

Ygdrad
Jul 9, 2014, 09:18 AM
I called my ISP, Cogeco, about the problem and was able to talk to someone who knew what was going on right away. I was told that yes, multiple ISP's are blocking traffic, but not only to pso2.jp, but all sites from their host (81.88.48.95) because they have insufficient security measures in place and the present breaches allow stuff like phishing, traffic redirecting and IP spoofing, it is also vulnerable to the Zeus botnet. I was told that there were not only attacks directed AT that host, but also coming FROM the host and that this is why it is blocked and will not be unblocked by most ISP's until they meet their demands and fix their security issues.

TLDR: There is nothing you, me, or Sega can do ourselves, the only thing to do is hope their host decide to conform to standard security measures and until then, most people wont be able to access PSO2.

Edit: I know that IP address is Italian and that seems weird. The tech I talked to might have also gotten that IP address wrong, it might be related to another security problem. That address was only given to me after everything about the problem pertaining to pso2.jp had already been explained when I asked for some extra info about the problematic host. The guy had to dig around a little so he might have just gotten another number unrelated to pso2.jp by mistake since apparently a lot of attacks happened around that time. So, ip address-aside, the info up there is still valid.

GHNeko
Jul 9, 2014, 09:20 AM
OHH. THIS IS A NEW DEVELOPMENT.

INTERESTING.

Time to relay this to Cox huehuehue.

Meyfei
Jul 9, 2014, 09:33 AM
So pretty much the only way for sega to fix this, personally, is to pretty much find a new host all together. which in turn means breaching any Corporate contract they likely so foolishly signed, therefore pinning themselves in this situation.
:bondage: Host + Sega?

GHNeko
Jul 9, 2014, 09:42 AM
Another case of Japan being Japan when it comes to the internet.

Rupikachu
Jul 9, 2014, 09:43 AM
81.88.48.95 <-- Who's that? Because that points to an italian ip. Also pso2 is hosted on icf/yahoo.jp servers so i doubt it.

Ygdrad
Jul 9, 2014, 09:47 AM
I know, I looked at that IP myself and it being italian is weird. Maybe some american traffic gets routed through there to reach japan.

reaper527
Jul 9, 2014, 09:52 AM
I called my ISP, Cogeco, about the problem and was able to talk to someone who knew what was going on right away. I was told that yes, multiple ISP's are blocking traffic, but not only to pso2.jp, but all sites from their host (81.88.48.95)

are you sure he wasn't confused? because that's not the right ip address. the pso2 stuff is on 210.189.*.*, not 81.88.48.95. in fact, the ip address you said isn't even japanese, it's italian.

GHNeko
Jul 9, 2014, 09:57 AM
The GS is 210.189; but he said the HOST of all that, or one level higher is supposedly the other IP.

Ygdrad
Jul 9, 2014, 10:16 AM
The tech I talked to might have also gotten that IP address wrong, it might be related to another security problem. That address was only given to me after everything about the problem pertaining to pso2.jp had already been explained when I asked for some extra info about the problematic host. The guy had to dig around a little so he might have just gotten another number unrelated to pso2.jp by mistake since apparently a lot of attacks happened around that time.

reaper527
Jul 9, 2014, 02:39 PM
The GS is 210.189; but he said the HOST of all that, or one level higher is supposedly the other IP.

it's an entirely different isp and country though. that ip which the tech mentioned should have anything whatsoever to do with sega's servers.