PDA

View Full Version : Before people say goodbye for good

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 9, 2014, 07:02 PM
I'd like to make a note if the start up FMVs in PSO2 haven't made it blatantly obvious, the Phantasy Star series has been around for decades. If you haven't played them yet this is a good opportunity to appreciate the history of the series while waiting for your ISPs to come back up. If anything the last two days have shown that there is hope with Verizon last night and now Brazil just a short while ago and I'd hate for people to leave prematurely just before things are restored for yourself.

You can pick up three of the classic Phantasy Star games either separately or as part of a Sega pack on Steam at http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=phantasy+star

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2014, 07:08 PM
I'll attest to that. Phantasy Star IV is one of the best 'classic' RPGs ever made. If anything, definitely go and play that one. PSIV, in particular, will help newbies understand the overarching lore in the entire series as well, as it explains everything about the origin of the universe, Dark Falz (and where he comes from), etc.

Forum User Y
Jul 9, 2014, 07:14 PM
This is actually a very good info thanks. I would have never thought to check this out, especially on steam.

Freaking exhausted so going to bed but consider it purchased. I played PSO1 on Dreamcast, and that's all. So i'm very interested in learning more about the lore.

landman
Jul 9, 2014, 07:19 PM
I would actually recommend a re-translation of them over the original ones, specially for 1 and 3. 4's mistranslations are only on the origin of the system as far as I know. Screw that, you have Phantasy Star Generation 1 fan translated, and perfectly emulated.

MoonlightMyau
Jul 9, 2014, 07:28 PM
Phantasy Star IV, is indeed absolutely fantastic. I'd recommend this to people who weren't even Phantasy Star fans.

I remember playing that when PSU launched for the first time & was so addicted PSU got left to one side!

I'm actually really curious to play Phantasy Star Generation 1 - is it good?

landman
Jul 9, 2014, 07:34 PM
IMO, it's the best remake a classic RPG cold have, the only let down of the first remake is that, compared to the original, is very easy. Generation 2 feels as hard as the original, but with enhanced gameplay.

Demon-
Jul 9, 2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah I don't need steam I have the old carts. I should give them a play again.

I just wish sega ages made Generations 3 & 4. Especially 4 since that was my favorite PS game.

TsukasaHiiragi
Jul 9, 2014, 07:46 PM
I'd like to make a note if the start up FMVs in PSO2 haven't made it blatantly obvious, the Phantasy Star series has been around for decades. If you haven't played them yet this is a good opportunity to appreciate the history of the series while waiting for your ISPs to come back up. If anything the last two days have shown that there is hope with Verizon last night and now Brazil just a short while ago and I'd hate for people to leave prematurely just before things are restored for yourself.

You can pick up three of the classic Phantasy Star games either separately or as part of a Sega pack on Steam at http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=phantasy+star

I also have Verizon as a backup internet service...I'll try it later to see if I get any access.

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2014, 07:49 PM
I just wish sega ages made Generations 3 & 4. Especially 4 since that was my favorite PS game.

Oh god, a remake of PSIV would be my most anticipated game in probably about six years.

Also, I wish there was an easier way to play a translated Generations 1 & 2 without an emulator and all that bullshit.

landman
Jul 9, 2014, 08:02 PM
Your other option is a pirated PS2. If you want to play it n English, if you are ok with Japanese then you only need a Japanese PS2 (or a pirated one able to play imports). But now downloading a program and running it is rocket science.

Generation 3 (PS4 remake) was planed, but they cancelled the series. Generations of Doom remake was never announced.

Demon-
Jul 9, 2014, 08:15 PM
Yeah you can download an ISO with the translation on it but you need a modded ps2 or swap magic disc to play it.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 9, 2014, 08:29 PM
Your other option is a pirated PS2. If you want to play it n English, if you are ok with Japanese then you only need a Japanese PS2 (or a pirated one able to play imports). But now downloading a program and running it is rocket science.

Generation 3 (PS4 remake) was planed, but they cancelled the series. Generations of Doom remake was never announced.

Few remember it but the US was supposed to get the remakes however it didn't happen because Generation 3 didn't happen. It was going to be released as Phantasy Star Trilogy for the PS2.

Lumpen Thingy
Jul 9, 2014, 09:46 PM
I would say play 1 2 and 4 and avoid the 3rd one like a dying rabies puppy

BIG OLAF
Jul 9, 2014, 10:06 PM
I agree; PSIII wasn't very good. SEGA really seems to have trouble with anything involving "3" in Phantasy Star titles.

But, I think that PSIII being so awful is what made SEGA really pour their hearts into PSIV, and make it so goddamn amazing.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 9, 2014, 10:31 PM
I liked C.A.R.D Revolution...
And you're saying PSO2 Episode III is going to suck now.

There were much worse games than Generations of Doom though.

Phantasy Star Adventure, and dare I say it... Rappy Bird! http://dl.sega.com.s3.amazonaws.com/rappy/rappy.swf

Arkanoid
Jul 10, 2014, 12:19 AM
It's too bad, I would actually like to see a remake of Phantasy Star III sometime. It's definitely the most in need of one, and it really sounded like an ambitious game at the time. No new ideas needed really, just actually insert a script into the game and not make every single town and dungeon look exactly the same! The game feels very unfinished, which is not really surprising if you look at the release dates between the PS games. It seemed very rushed, but it was also mostly made by a different team than the other three games. Funny thing is that the composer for PSIII introduced the whole dynamic music system based on what was going on in battle or how many people were alive in your party on the map. She has nothing to do with the PSO games, but she also did the PSIV music which happens to sound nothing like PSIII's lol.

Anyway, if PSIII was remade to take full advantage of that generations system it could end up playing like a completely different game for each story arc. To me, a proper PSIII would be a nicer thing to have than a PSIV remake. Why? Because let's be serious - are they REALLY going to make anything about that game better :P I don't want to see the art changed, and I would NOT want the music to sound like the other PS remakes (ugh). I say leave it alone. And I will get my wish for PSIV because the times of them giving a shit about that are long over with HAWHAWHAW

Demon-
Jul 10, 2014, 12:44 AM
Yeah I liked PSIII mostly because it was so unique from the others and I thought the story was interesting. Although it's my least favorite of the PS series I still liked it and want to see a remake of it.

landman
Jul 10, 2014, 01:08 AM
PSIII is very easy to hate the first time. But It's also the one I'd like to see the most a remake some day, even a 3D one. The events in the Alisa3 really fascinate me the more I think in them.

Shinureal
Jul 10, 2014, 05:12 PM
Just got PSII for my old Genisis/Mega drive via a retro trade, gonna test it soon :)

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 10, 2014, 05:59 PM
Since you're using the real cart, don't use game genie if you have that. The game won't save.

mctastee
Jul 10, 2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks for this, I started with PSO 1 and never played the classic PS games. I will definitely check these out.

FoMarlBorough
Jul 10, 2014, 08:26 PM
I had PS3 as a kid on my genesis...wasnt great but it filled a hole. GREAT soundtrack.
Had PSO on Gamecube, Played PSOBB on Schtack...(it was the best of times, it was the worst of times)

PS3 could use a remake. Lots of story potential. Could be made into a tactics type game.

Card revolution, i liked a lot but it played so slow. Painful slow. Never played it online though.

Mystil
Jul 11, 2014, 12:11 AM
Jonathan_F come around more so I can stop feeling like the only dinosaur still posting here :P

Also, stop posting the truth, etc(JK)

oratank
Jul 11, 2014, 12:26 AM
too bad for ps4 didn't have remade .but hey someday they may do it somedays

LordKaiser
Jul 11, 2014, 01:23 AM
Why I still hear pirated PS2 when there's PCSX2? 0_o

Yeah Generations are good remakes and it's too bad there's only Generations 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 never happened....

landman
Jul 11, 2014, 02:32 AM
The good point is that PS4 really doesn't need a remake, it is a very affordable game for players nowadays, unlike the other three games.

Another option to purchase the games: Japanese PSN account, Sega Ages 2500 compilation at 800Y, it has both the japanese and english games (except for Game Gear and downloadable text adventures that were never released outside of Japan), and the games are moded by M2, to solve bugs (yep, Megid damaging the party in PS2 was a bug lol, or the lvl 99 bug in PS4), to ad a run button or to ad easy mode to all games. This is a PS2 game too, so yeah, PSX2 is also an option.

Ghalion
Jul 11, 2014, 06:09 AM
yeah PS4 was great. My only beef with it is that the challenge is quite satisfying early game, but near the end of the game, even if you aren't trying to power level or anything, the difficulty nose-dives. I don't know any other game with difficulty that nosedives as bad during late game other than Lufia 2. The final boss felt like a curb stomp.

I never did get a hold of ps2, and I heard that ps4 is actually a sequel to ps2. How important is it to play ps2 story-wise before 4?. Where does 1 lie in all this? I know 3 is kinda some black sheep that people say to forget, but what about 1?

Also, I don't remember a dark falz in ps4, is falz just the new way to say dark force?

landman
Jul 11, 2014, 07:05 AM
In Japanese it always was Falz (or Phalus, that's why they changed it to force).

[SPOILER-BOX]1, 2 and 3 take place in the same worlds, with around 1000 years between them, in PS4 you have seen or read about events and characters that take place in the previous games, the destruction of one of the planets (and collapse of the environmental control), the migration of some towns, the origin of the Espers and the conscience of Lutz, the Elysion or whatever was called then...
[/SPOILER-BOX]
PS2 aesthetic is the one that resembles the most PSO, or a futuristic scy-phy environment. PS4 looks like MadMax/Fist of the North star in some ways.

PrinceBrightstar
Jul 11, 2014, 10:18 AM
Geez throw some spoiler alerts on those plot points. As you can see some are just learning about this part of the series for the first time.

Also Mystil, I come around quite often. I think my post count and account age proves that.

Mystil
Jul 11, 2014, 02:01 PM
Geez throw some spoiler alerts on those plot points. As you can see some are just learning about this part of the series for the first time.

Also Mystil, I come around quite often. I think my post count and account age proves that.

Haha, I guess that means it's me who should be coming here more often.

(Too bad I wont.)

Ghalion
Jul 13, 2014, 04:49 AM
In Japanese it always was Falz (or Phalus, that's why they changed it to force).

[SPOILER-BOX]1, 2 and 3 take place in the same worlds, with around 1000 years between them, in PS4 you have seen or read about events and characters that take place in the previous games, the destruction of one of the planets (and collapse of the environmental control), the migration of some towns, the origin of the Espers and the conscience of Lutz, the Elysion or whatever was called then...
[/SPOILER-BOX]
PS2 aesthetic is the one that resembles the most PSO, or a futuristic scy-phy environment. PS4 looks like MadMax/Fist of the North star in some ways.

Why then do people consider 4 to be related to 2 more than 1 or 3? I uhh...heard this long before PSO1 was even a thing, let alone 2.

landman
Jul 13, 2014, 10:25 AM
All of them are related, but only 1, 2 and 4 take place in the same solar system, separated by 1000 years each.

Ghalion
Jul 13, 2014, 08:32 PM
All right then thanks...I wonder if I can enjoy 1 and 2. I like difficult RPGs, and I like the feeling of being unsure if you have the resources and sustainability to explore a dungeon (I recall the dungeons in those games being ridiculously large and dangerous, you NEEDED to stock up as you venture in them). But I also seem to recall their UI was quite tedious to work with.

gaijin_punch
Jul 13, 2014, 08:44 PM
If you haven't played the originals you have issues. I played the first Phantasy Star on the SMS in 6th grade (when it came out --- yikes!) and it was awesome. Probably played through it like 20 times. III is an acquired taste (and I never acquired it) but hey, them's the brakes.

For fun, gawk over my collection of SPEC issues:
http://www.gamengai.com/bn_ix.php?type=book&l=e&s=40

spider0804
Jul 13, 2014, 11:17 PM
Why are the people in this thread not connecting via amazon tunnel?

Works great and the guide is right on the forum.

SilkaN
Jul 14, 2014, 04:25 AM
Why are the people in this thread not connecting via amazon tunnel?

Works great and the guide is right on the forum.

They don't do it so that you could make this post.
Better be grateful to them.

spider0804
Jul 14, 2014, 03:48 PM
I figured maybe they did not know about it but I have friends all across the us with different isps and it has worked for all of them.

There is no risk of ban because the login ip is the same every time unlike a VPN.