PDA

View Full Version : Post Effect setting in PSU: Illuminus hits perfmormance drastically!

SuperSoup
Jul 13, 2014, 12:51 AM
I always thought my modern(ish) laptop should be able to run this old game at max settings, but when I first got it I was surprised to see it struggling a bit, so I lowered the frameskip setting and just played like that. Recently, I was messing around with its settings to see if I could help raise performance at all, and realized that the only setting causing problems was the Post effects setting. With it disabled, and everything else maxed with 0 frameskip, it was running perfectly. I was just wondering if it's common for these post effects to have such an impact on performance. Everything else in the game may be as pretty as it can get, but it's disappointing to have to turn off the game's iconic glowing weapons.

Mystil
Jul 13, 2014, 12:36 PM
Yeah, if your PC can't handle shaders and constant glowing objects, post effects has to be turned off.

Was a shame you couldn't do this for the PS2 version.

ArchAngel
Jul 14, 2014, 12:49 AM
The pc port of this game is a mess and ran like dog shit on most machines.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 14, 2014, 04:44 AM
You need to get a better computer/laptop. Yeah the game is pretty old almost 10 years now but it still takes some power to run. A weak integrated laptop chip isn't going to run it well. It is not a bad port or anything, it just takes something better than a $150 8 year old laptop. I barely ran it on a GM 945 integrated dual core 1.6ghz laptop when I first played PSU at 800x600 and FrameSkip 2, and that was barely playable. That laptop is about 7-8 years old.

Just need something better.

ArchAngel
Jul 14, 2014, 03:23 PM
You need to get a better computer/laptop. Yeah the game is pretty old almost 10 years now but it still takes some power to run. A weak integrated laptop chip isn't going to run it well. It is not a bad port or anything, it just takes something better than a $150 8 year old laptop. I barely ran it on a GM 945 integrated dual core 1.6ghz laptop when I first played PSU at 800x600 and FrameSkip 2, and that was barely playable. That laptop is about 7-8 years old.

Just need something better.

The game IS a terrible/lazy console port, the PC controls, graphics, and performance all verify this to be true.

SuperSoup
Jul 14, 2014, 09:33 PM
I got my laptop for $400 around 2.5 years ago, and without post effects on, the game runs great. I'm certainly not about to get a new computer just to enable those effects.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 15, 2014, 01:12 AM
The game IS a terrible/lazy console port, the PC controls, graphics, and performance all verify this to be true.

Dude no it's not. The controls can be mapped, the graphics are fine this isn't the 360 version (also it's 8 years old, what do you expect?), and performance is fine, I have never had a single drop in my 6 years of playing. I can't even remember a single crash. PSU on 360 has issues with slowdown, massive slowdown.

Also just because the laptop is $400 doesn't mean anything, the GPU/Integrated GPU is still garbage. The laptop I had before that I tried this on was like $600-$700 at the time. However many years ago that was.

ArchAngel
Jul 15, 2014, 10:48 AM
Dude no it's not. The controls can be mapped, the graphics are fine this isn't the 360 version (also it's 8 years old, what do you expect?), and performance is fine, I have never had a single drop in my 6 years of playing. I can't even remember a single crash. PSU on 360 has issues with slowdown, massive slowdown.

Also just because the laptop is $400 doesn't mean anything, the GPU/Integrated GPU is still garbage. The laptop I had before that I tried this on was like $600-$700 at the time. However many years ago that was.

It is a terrible port but clearly we are not going to agree about this. I would suggest looking up some old reviews of the game from 2006 and you will see what issues people had with this game, they are many of the ones I listed.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 16, 2014, 05:36 AM
It is a terrible port but clearly we are not going to agree about this. I would suggest looking up some old reviews of the game from 2006 and you will see what issues people had with this game, they are many of the ones I listed.

You are simply wrong, I played the game from the day it came out until it's closure on PC and 360 as well as JP PC.

Edit: After looking for 10 minutes the only review on the PC version was some unknown site with a review that was half a page long and the guy clearly had no idea what PSU even was. 95% of all the reviews are on the 360 version. So stop making stuff up. It is not a lazy port and a single person saying that on a single review is not proof. It ran fine for me and everybody else who played for the 6 years it was out.

Chrysheight
Jul 16, 2014, 06:53 AM
Oh stop arguing over it. It wasn't the best port, hell Sega doesn't even know how to port games worth a damn. It shows with PSO2 being able to run on hardware that their other games struggle with since PSO2 was built directly for PC.

The game had performance issues, but if you had a computer it didn't choke on, game was fun.

On topic:
Post Effect is something I've always had to turn off on my less powerful machines. The fact that it was just a glowing effect and some particle based effects (so it seemed) literally meant nothing to me. I'd rather have frames over a sword/silhouette glow and more particles.

ArchAngel
Jul 16, 2014, 07:41 AM
You are simply wrong, I played the game from the day it came out until it's closure on PC and 360 as well as JP PC.

Edit: After looking for 10 minutes the only review on the PC version was some unknown site with a review that was half a page long and the guy clearly had no idea what PSU even was. 95% of all the reviews are on the 360 version. So stop making stuff up. It is not a lazy port and a single person saying that on a single review is not proof. It ran fine for me and everybody else who played for the 6 years it was out.

You didn't look hard enough there bud. But w/e I know what I know and you think what you think.

DeathDragon2332
Jul 18, 2014, 02:23 AM
You know what I'm done. You are simply too arrogant to admit you are wrong.

ArchAngel
Jul 18, 2014, 04:47 AM
You know what I'm done. You are simply too arrogant to admit you are wrong.

But I am not wrong that is the thing. PSU had graphic that were designed with PS2 and 360 in mind so to say they had good graphic even for the time it was created is absurd. What made the game look so great graphic wise to you? The dynamic shadows, great lighting (non-existent), ha, it must have be all of the amazing flat, dull ugly textures PSU had. And to say the game had rebind-able keys is a lie, you were stuck with a terrible key layout using wasd to move and arrow keys to kill (because mouse support outside of 3rd party programs was non-existent) , if that isn't the sign that a developer doesn't know how to port a game properly to pc I don't know what is. I think the fact that the servers on the PC were dead so quick speaks to my points, because who was going to play a shoddy port of a game when they had options like Guild Wars, WOW, and others. And don't even get me started on the performance of this game... But ya, you keep thinking I am the one that is wrong, Ill let the facts speak for me.