PDA

View Full Version : Question about defense

jeremycards
Jul 13, 2014, 04:13 AM
Hey guys, i've been playing this game for a long time, but there's just something i never really looked into and i think its time to really pay attention to it... What's the deal with the different def?

I mean, im a Gunner/Ranger, kinda by reflex i went for R-Def since the beggining because i tough that's what rangers used right?... but as time went on i started wondering what was the deal with those stats, so... does R-Def only prevents ranged damage?, like if an enemy shoots at you?, same for T-Def, does it only prevent damage by magic?, because on my experience those 2 things almost never happen, about 90% of the time if im hit by a mob its what i would consider a physical attack, so only S-Def would apply right?. In that case, is S-Def the only one that really matters?, im kinda confused here... if im not missing anything, R-Def and T-Def are almost useless except for some rare instances... anyone care to correct me if im wrong?

Cortte
Jul 13, 2014, 04:18 AM
Hey guys, i've been playing this game for a long time, but there's just something i never really looked into and i think its time to really pay attention to it... What's the deal with the different def?

I mean, im a Gunner/Ranger, kinda by reflex i went for R-Def since the beggining because i tough that's what rangers used right?... but as time went on i started wondering what was the deal with those stats, so... does R-Def only prevents ranged damage?, like if an enemy shoots at you?, same for T-Def, does it only prevent damage by magic?, because on my experience those 2 things almost never happen, about 90% of the time if im hit by a mob its what i would consider a physical attack, so only S-Def would apply right?. In that case, is S-Def the only one that really matters?, im kinda confused here... if im not missing anything, R-Def and T-Def are almost useless except for some rare instances... anyone care to correct me if im wrong?

In my opinion S-Def if your only def to worry about at the moment. Ranged and Tech based enemies really don't show up as commonly as melee enemies. So for that reason I stick to S-Def. However because Falz and Loser both have some serious T-ATK Based attacks I could see some players maybe opting to have a back up set for T-Def

Evangelion X.XX
Jul 13, 2014, 05:05 AM
Honestly, I gotta be real with ya bro. What the hell is defense in this game? I mean, I'm sporting gloam set and white tail and yet I'm still getting one-shotted by bosses such as chrome and quartz even though I have 850 hp (as Hu/Br). Trust me, you're bound to get hit especially if you're fighting a boss and there are a lot of mobs around too.

UnLucky
Jul 13, 2014, 05:16 AM
Yeah, Striking attacks are your major concern. Not only are they more frequent, but usually more dangerous as well. The nature of a long ranged attack means it should be easier to see coming.

But it's not like people get any more defense than they have to, so a specific Ranged or Tech defensive unit set would only be marginally more effective at surviving an attack. It just wouldn't be worth the effort getting several full sets of equivalent endgame armor.

Basically, you choose your units based on the offensive stats they provide (Atk+PP), with S-Def and resistance as a bonus.

LonelyGaruga
Jul 13, 2014, 11:56 AM
Honestly, I gotta be real with ya bro. What the hell is defense in this game? I mean, I'm sporting gloam set and white tail and yet I'm still getting one-shotted by bosses such as chrome and quartz even though I have 850 hp (as Hu/Br). Trust me, you're bound to get hit especially if you're fighting a boss and there are a lot of mobs around too.

Are these from changeover codes? Because bosses that changeover from the same boss have doubled damage (and halved health, but that's not important here). Otherwise this literally should never be happening against those bosses with that much health.

Mystil
Jul 13, 2014, 12:26 PM
I was told way back, when I had this problem with quartz is that you really gotta rely on Just Guard, as straight up S-DEF build will only go so far. This was before the 50 cap. I can only imagine what a nightmare those bosses are with the current level cap.

jeremycards
Jul 13, 2014, 12:26 PM
yeah i tough so =/, right now i changed the set i have with R-Def for one that gives me more S-Def and has a set bonus that gives me +10 PP and +90 R-Atk, it sounds like the best option for me right now.

Dnd
Jul 14, 2014, 12:28 AM
Chrome and Quartz hit like trucks with their easily counterable attacks, far more then other bosses.... Change overs are even more fun (gloam + ing plate being hit for 1.6k from a triple boosted change over lv70 haze dralls charging attack ftw?)

That being said, I'd agree with S-def/strike resist being the most important.

Nothing really hits hard R-def wise, but luther/owls have some crazy powerful strike/tech based damage if you get hit by it. the best advice is really just.. dodge or guard

jeremycards
Jul 14, 2014, 07:55 AM
Yeah, i guess it stands to reason that in a game such as this, Defense isn't as important, since dodging and accurately blocking are more important ways of survival, wich is a thing i LOVE, everything is determined mostly by skill, as any game should. And as a Gunner i no doubt have the best dodging capabilities in the game, its insane at times!, but you know, it would be nice if i didn't get 1 hit ko every time i mess up :P lol, so i'll stick to S-Def and may follow advice on having a backup T-Def for huge bosses like Loser and such, thanks for the tips!