PDA

View Full Version : What's with these new translations?!

Grippers
Jul 16, 2014, 01:58 PM
Guilds? Changing "My Room" to "Your Room"?
http://puu.sh/aeczT/e14a7115f0.jpg
http://puu.sh/aecBB/9e765464c4.jpg
http://puu.sh/aecCz/6d55fd3676.jpg

Why?

MDashK
Jul 16, 2014, 02:00 PM
And why so many "Open"'s ??
It's weird. XD

Ordy
Jul 16, 2014, 02:00 PM
Lobby action menu seems to be fucked up too. Menu not matching the LA category.

AIDA
Jul 16, 2014, 02:02 PM
It's because of the way Agrajag tried to build this patch, using a new method he developed. Obviously, it didn't... turn out quite right. He'll be fixing it as soon as he can.

Grippers
Jul 16, 2014, 02:06 PM
It's because of the way Agrajag tried to build this patch, using a new method he developed. Obviously, it didn't.. turn out quite right. He'll be fixing it as soon as he can.

Oh. I was fearing the worst. It was just strange logging in and seeing the menu translations change so much.

Terrence
Jul 16, 2014, 02:25 PM
I was worrying about that too. Hopefully, there's nothing to fear. Thanks, AIDA.

pkemr4
Jul 16, 2014, 02:29 PM
It's because of the way Agrajag tried to build this patch, using a new method he developed. Obviously, it didn't... turn out quite right. He'll be fixing it as soon as he can.

he shouldve left it as is. or ran a test before giving to the general masses

Lostbob117
Jul 16, 2014, 02:35 PM

You all are his test subjects.

blace
Jul 16, 2014, 02:40 PM
You all are his test subjects.

True words.

SLY_J
Jul 16, 2014, 03:05 PM
To be fair, it's not really bad, just different. Still, I must admit it bothers me a little. I have no idea why it bothers me, and that just bothers me more. The real problem is that the more I think about it, the more it bothers me, and I know I should probably just stop thinking about it, but I can't because it's bothering me. It's like an itch I can't scratch, driving me to madness OH GOD I CAN'T STAND IT MAKE IT STOP AGRAJAG PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

Gama
Jul 16, 2014, 03:14 PM
theyre probbly looking for a methot that automates the already known translations to make the process less time consuming.

SStrikerR
Jul 16, 2014, 03:49 PM

Yes, keep complaining about someone that is providing you with a free service. That's a great idea.

Vampy
Jul 16, 2014, 03:51 PM
A lot of the retranslations just feel insulting to my inteligence. -tempted to go back to japanese text until resolved-

pkemr4
Jul 16, 2014, 03:58 PM
Yes, keep complaining about someone that is providing you with a free service. That's a great idea.

oh not this Bullshit argument.

Totori
Jul 16, 2014, 04:02 PM
SStrikerR really does have a point, some of you guys sound like it's Agrajag's responsibility to work on this patch. It's something done in his free time, bitching about some different names here and there is rather pointless.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 16, 2014, 04:03 PM
lets boycott until Chroto has his proper name

Vampy
Jul 16, 2014, 04:10 PM
We are stil entitled to our opinion. Sure I get he wanted to test something new but still even if it's a free product you test it out first in a small group then the general masses. It's not game breaking but can still be a little jarring after a year+ running the english patch for most players that use it.

Mesarthim
Jul 16, 2014, 04:13 PM
Hey I'm just glad I'm not called a wizard.

SStrikerR
Jul 16, 2014, 04:14 PM
We are stil entitled to our opinion. Sure I get he wanted to test something new but still even if it's a free product you test it out first in a small group then the general masses. It's not game breaking but can still be a little jarring after a year+ running the english patch for most players that use it.

Despite the translations being different, I'm sure that you're still capable of figuring out what they mean. It's not a big deal at all. In fact, this is a perfect example of a first world problem.

Zorak000
Jul 16, 2014, 04:37 PM
maintaining patch compatibility is a simple process, so simple in fact, that they goofed this time. It'll be fixed soon, please bare with us, and then we can put this behind us.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 05:28 PM
Translation patch update is out now to fix all of this.

AIDA
Jul 16, 2014, 05:29 PM
Translation patch update is out now to fix all of this.

It only fixes the stuff that was untranslated/nulled out, not the weird text yet.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 05:30 PM
It only fixes the stuff that was untranslated/nulled out, not the weird text yet.

Darn.

Vampy
Jul 16, 2014, 05:42 PM
Despite the translations being different, I'm sure that you're still capable of figuring out what they mean. It's not a big deal at all. In fact, this is a perfect example of a first world problem.

I didn't say it was hard to figure out, but a lot is kinda dumbed down from an already easy to understand patch. Not knocking those who work on it just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 06:00 PM
Related to thread:

[6:56:22 PM] Ame no Uzume: Also, I found the best area in the game
[6:57:07 PM] Ame no Uzume: Imagine what you could do with that many stars
[6:58:30 PM] John: Well, the bad news is you can't grind it. The good news is every attack blows up a random planet in the present galaxy.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/EPvcBAj.png[/spoiler-box]

Meteor Weapon
Jul 16, 2014, 06:11 PM
I'm laughing to the pic above at the moment.

They seem to have fun screwing around. lol

Dnd
Jul 16, 2014, 07:17 PM
Honestly, most of the issues in this thread arn't even bad, you still know what they do at a glance. Also I prefer your room to my room, makes it feel somewhat.. more personal to me (Teleporting to your room etc).

some of the other issues (LIke the picture above) are just funny, mind. I wonder how many people moaning in this thread would also moan if it was taken down completely.. hmmm..

Lostbob117
Jul 16, 2014, 07:35 PM
Related to thread:

[6:56:22 PM] Ame no Uzume: Also, I found the best area in the game
[6:57:07 PM] Ame no Uzume: Imagine what you could do with that many stars
[6:58:30 PM] John: Well, the bad news is you can't grind it. The good news is every attack blows up a random planet in the present galaxy.
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/EPvcBAj.png[/spoiler-box]

That actually might be SEGA's fault for changing something.

Grippers
Jul 16, 2014, 07:40 PM
Honestly, most of the issues in this thread arn't even bad, you still know what they do at a glance. Also I prefer your room to my room, makes it feel somewhat.. more personal to me (Teleporting to your room etc).

some of the other issues (LIke the picture above) are just funny, mind. I wonder how many people moaning in this thread would also moan if it was taken down completely.. hmmm..

It's not bad, it's just different. I mainly brought it up because it could have been some random overlooked translation error. I can live with the changes, that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Sparzyle
Jul 16, 2014, 07:41 PM
"Also I prefer your room to my room, makes it feel somewhat.. more personal to me (Teleporting to your room etc)."
Hehehehe :B
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/M0JlhEF.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Vampy
Jul 16, 2014, 07:49 PM

I from time to time play unpatched really my main reason to patch is affixing.

GHNeko
Jul 16, 2014, 10:18 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/UZZUzEf.png[/spoiler-box]

I dont know about you guys, but I dont think I'd want to burn 12*s on something like this...

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 17, 2014, 04:19 AM
this is hillarious i think argrajag has trolled you all ii think he/she purposely did this for laughs it will probably get fixed soon though

wefwq
Jul 17, 2014, 06:29 AM
Just updated the english patch again, it sort some issue but this happen
[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/afcET.jpg[/spoiler-box]
The same also happened with certain Ruins ARKS quest.

Lostbob117
Jul 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
Just updated the english patch again, it sort some issue but this happen
[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/afcET.jpg[/spoiler-box]
The same also happened with certain Ruins ARKS quest.

Yeah, it fixed all the non-translated stuff. They said it'll be fixed eventually.

reaper527
Jul 17, 2014, 12:16 PM
Also I prefer your room to my room, makes it feel somewhat.. more personal to me (Teleporting to your room etc).

that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong though. in the untranslated text, it's written as マイルーム. in romaji, that would be mai ruumu. it's an imported phrase for "my room". saying "your room" is wrong, and that is why the guys who do the english patch are planning on fixing the error.

Aussei
Jul 17, 2014, 01:32 PM
For a minute there I thought I was being trolled. "OPEN ITEM PACK" like....no shit nigga.... of course it's gonna open it....you don't gotta tell me. lol Your room? No bitch it's my room!

UnLucky
Jul 17, 2014, 03:08 PM
that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong though. in the untranslated text, it's written as マイルーム. in romaji, that would be mai ruumu. it's an imported phrase for "my room". saying "your room" is wrong, and that is why the guys who do the english patch are planning on fixing the error.
Would you really complain if they called it Player Housing?

Just because it's a loan word doesn't mean it flows well when directly translated.

Like "Just Guard" is honestly a bit clunky since it assumes a specific usage that's more common to Japanese speakers than English ones. ジャスト (Jyasuto), literally "Just", is used for "Perfect" or "Precisely" in Japan, but is not really used for "Simply" or "Righteous" like we do. As a result, the meaning of a well timed block isn't so apparent when telling a native English speaker just to guard.

For examples outside of PSO2, アイス (Aisu), lit. "Ice", is a common short form for ice cream. Similarly, ジュース (Jyuusu), lit. "Juice", can even refer to soda pop or coffee. Both of these words would sound a bit awkward if left untouched because of some misguided sense of purity. Would you preserve ヘルスメーター, literally "Health Meter", to refer to a bathroom scale? Or how about using a ストーブ, as in "Stove", to heat up your room in the winter?

Chik'Tikka
Jul 18, 2014, 02:45 AM
lol, in Phantasy Star Universe it was called "My Room" as well+^_^+
imma little bit of a traditionalist and would like to keep things the same that way+^_^+

Kondibon
Jul 18, 2014, 03:06 AM
Would you really complain if they called it Player Housing?

Just because it's a loan word doesn't mean it flows well when directly translated.

Like "Just Guard" is honestly a bit clunky since it assumes a specific usage that's more common to Japanese speakers than English ones. ジャスト (Jyasuto), literally "Just", is used for "Perfect" or "Precisely" in Japan, but is not really used for "Simply" or "Righteous" like we do. As a result, the meaning of a well timed block isn't so apparent when telling a native English speaker just to guard.

For examples outside of PSO2, アイス (Aisu), lit. "Ice", is a common short form for ice cream. Similarly, ジュース (Jyuusu), lit. "Juice", can even refer to soda pop or coffee. Both of these words would sound a bit awkward if left untouched because of some misguided sense of purity. Would you preserve ヘルスメーター, literally "Health Meter", to refer to a bathroom scale? Or how about using a ストーブ, as in "Stove", to heat up your room in the winter?http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo137/Darkwashu/JustaccordingtoKeikku.jpg

moorebounce
Jul 18, 2014, 03:26 AM
Personally if that's how it is on the SEA version I would leave it. Eventually the cry babies will stop. I'd rather get used to it now in case Sega has a change of heart and release a NA/EU version. I would tell people complaining "Beggers can't be choosers" and go on about my business.

HeyItsTHK
Jul 18, 2014, 11:22 PM
The 12 star striking weapon level 1 stuff all over the place is what makes me laugh the most.

wefwq
Jul 18, 2014, 11:30 PM
Personally if that's how it is on the SEA version I would leave it. Eventually the cry babies will stop. I'd rather get used to it now in case Sega has a change of heart and release a NA/EU version. I would tell people complaining "Beggers can't be choosers" and go on about my business.
Well as long it is accurate, why not.