PDA

View Full Version : Datamining latest patch finally reveals correct EN translation of Klotho's name

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 02:19 PM
<Agrajag> Oh hey!
<Agrajag> Guess whose name just got confirmed internally.
<Lostbob117> persona?
<Agrajag> ui_mainmode\ui_item.text, ItemSkillHelp, 0, item_KlothoMesetaUp_1, "出現するメセタが<br>5%増加する。"
Eat it, nerds!

So it was 'Klotho' all along. Who knew?

LonelyGaruga
Jul 16, 2014, 02:24 PM
People had doubts about this? Kinda thought those saying it was Chroto were just goofing.

Sparzyle
Jul 16, 2014, 02:24 PM
What else it could be...

Naming it diferently would be like the forced "Risa"

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 16, 2014, 02:27 PM
i cant believe sega would intentionally misname chroto to cause debate

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 02:45 PM
i cant believe sega would intentionally misname chroto to cause debate

Sega is on the cutting edge of forum debate sparking technology.

Smithee
Jul 16, 2014, 02:54 PM
Didn't you know they named most of the NPC's after asteroids? Klotho is named after Klotho 97 http://fuchsiastars.blogspot.com/2011/01/klothoasteroid-97.html

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 03:02 PM
Didn't you know they named most of the NPC's after asteroids? Klotho is named after Klotho 97 http://fuchsiastars.blogspot.com/2011/01/klothoasteroid-97.html

Pfffffft, like these people would lower themselves to abiding by well-known and well-established facts.

GoldGenII
Jul 16, 2014, 03:18 PM
And then they smelled themselves. The End.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 03:42 PM
Doesn't matter. His name is still spelled "Chroto" in the credits. His name is still "Chroto." D-arkers are internally named stuff like "QueenAnt" and yet we don't see that name paraded everywhere.

If you say so.

Gardios
Jul 16, 2014, 03:50 PM
Internal strings don't matter because the people responsible for the names aren't even the same people who work with the code—and they're working on that before stuff like names get finalized. Internal names also rarely change.

But seriously why do people care so much

Edson Drake
Jul 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
Also Dark Force X Dark Falz. That's a tough one.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 04:54 PM
Also this. And also we're not supposed to be seeing the internal bits anyway. As far as we're concerned, we're ONLY supposed to be seeing those credits.

Credits that weren't intended to be seen by people who actually know english.

Ryock
Jul 16, 2014, 04:58 PM
The reason it never made any sense to me, is because Japanese will typically use an "S" sound in place of "Th" sounds, since their language has no "th" sound. If it were to be Klotho, then it's more likely they would spell it as "クローソ" or ”クロソ”. Thus, since it is spelt "クロト”, that comes out to ku-ro-to. U sounds are often omitted, so therefore Kroto.

Gardios
Jul 16, 2014, 05:39 PM
That logic only works if you have the English spelling and pronunciation and want to write it with Japanese letters, not the other way around. Chroto is a valid romanization for クロト.

Credits that weren't intended to be seen by people who actually know english.

Doesn't make the romanization any less official.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 05:52 PM
Doesn't make the romanization any less official.

And if there's ever an NA PSO2, Sega will not only romanize/translate things, they will also localize them. I don't recall the translation team ever stating they were going to specifically avoid the kinds of results such a hypothetical localization would bring. After all, localization makes something more accessible. The goal of the translation patch is to make things accessible. Why would they stop half way?

Ryock
Jul 16, 2014, 06:02 PM
And if there's ever an NA PSO2, Sega will not only romanize/translate things, they will also localize them. I don't recall the translation team ever stating they were going to specifically avoid the kinds of results such a hypothetical localization would bring. After all, localization makes something more accessible. The goal of the translation patch is to make things accessible. Why would they stop half way?

By localization, you mean change it in a way that's more familiar to the culture? If that's the case, then Klotho would probably be more likely to come over, if what was said is true, and it actually something to do with space.

This kinda reminds me of the fits people threw over Ar Tonelico 2 when the character ”ジャクリ(Jakuri)" was translated to Jacqli. That was a lot of fun. Besides, when games are localized, they're much more likely to follow a pattern which is more familiar to the culture it's being brought to. The Japanese version of FFXIV for example apparently has absolutely NONE of the references that ours does. It's actually kinda fascinating to me.

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 06:06 PM
Localizations also usually have a habit of changing direct romanizations to something that doesn't have a vowel literally every other letter.

Hrith
Jul 16, 2014, 06:15 PM
Doesn't make the romanization any less official.It does. Japanese games localised to English undergo a lot of changes, not just translation.

97 Klotho may be an asteroid and it is an established fact that most NPCs in PSO2 are named after minor stellar objects; Clotho was a Greek goddess of fate, along with Lachesis and Atropos, and we do have an NPC named Lachesis - who could be named after the asteroid 120 Lachesis, but you get my idea.

BIG OLAF
Jul 16, 2014, 06:18 PM
Also, 'Chroto' is a stupid name.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 16, 2014, 06:19 PM
dont be racist

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 06:23 PM
dont be racist

It's a free country over here. Don't be nationalist...wait.

pkemr4
Jul 16, 2014, 06:37 PM
the new icons are out and this is all you guys point out?

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 06:43 PM

I was done caring about pictures of future weapons when Sega gave Falz Angel's talis Negative Emblem. It's obvious they don't plan on creating any weapon that is different than things we already have.

Smithee
Jul 16, 2014, 06:52 PM
It does. Japanese games localised to English undergo a lot of changes, not just translation.

97 Klotho may be an asteroid and it is an established fact that most NPCs in PSO2 are named after minor stellar objects; Clotho was a Greek goddess of fate, along with Lachesis and Atropos, and we do have an NPC named Lachesis - who could be named after the asteroid 120 Lachesis, but you get my idea.

Or it's because Asteriods just happen to be named after Gods and Goddesses ,but wait tha doesn't make any sense at all.:-?

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 06:55 PM
Because when deciding on names for a space game, you take inspiration from ancient greek gods instead of stellar bodies.

BIG OLAF
Jul 16, 2014, 06:57 PM
To be fair, a lot of celestial bodies are named after Greek gods and heroes.

GHNeko
Jul 16, 2014, 07:02 PM

on a scale of negative zero to m night shamalamadingdong

how surprised are you

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 07:02 PM
If you name your child after someone you know named 'Heather', it doesn't mean that you're in reality naming them after the flower which the name comes from.

Kondibon
Jul 16, 2014, 07:06 PM
The Risa/Lisa thing is more ambiguous than this. Banter about that instead.

Gardios
Jul 16, 2014, 07:37 PM
It does. Japanese games localised to English undergo a lot of changes, not just translation.

We're not talking about localization though since that's kind of... not happening, aside from seaPSO2 (which has it as Crotho afaik).

Right now Crotho is the official romanization for him. Doesn't matter if it's stupid or if they intended it to be Klotho or Clotho or whatever. :-?

Maenara
Jul 16, 2014, 08:27 PM
Because localization is a mysterious magical process that only top secret departments of video game companies have the key to.

Gardios
Jul 16, 2014, 10:11 PM
Localization can do what it wants, the current official romanization in the Japanese version of PSO2 is still Crotho. It's... not that hard of a concept to grasp, really.

ShinMaruku
Jul 16, 2014, 10:13 PM
Carry on with the bickering. I find this all batshit insane. You think Sega gave much throught to the names? Only name they EVER gave though to is [spoiler-box]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140206211539/sonic/images/e/e6/Sb_knuckles_art.jpg[/spoiler-box]

moorebounce
Jul 16, 2014, 10:21 PM

They have history and science buffs on the team. Last thing I thought I'd see was Egyptian mythology in PSO2.

TaigaUC
Jul 16, 2014, 10:46 PM
Just because they named them after asteroids doesn't mean the spelling has to be the same.
They could have just intended the names to sound like the asteroids, but spelled differently.
Like how there are a billion variations on names like Katherine, but all have the same meaning.
Or like how there are JP people intentionally named Arisu (with various kanji), based on the name Alice.

JP swiki lists English names and goes by the credits.
http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E7%99%BB%E5%A0%B4NPC
Credits says Chroto, so personally, I'll just stick with that.

It's not really worth arguing about anyway.
SEGA is hella inconsistent with katakana of EN words, too.

gigawuts
Jul 16, 2014, 10:49 PM

This.

Until something else is actually published, i.e. not part of internal files, the official spelling is Chroto. Official, as in officially in the actual game credits as published by the actual game publisher.

You don't have to call him that though. You can call him whatever you like. I won't call him Chroto. But I also won't say that Chroto isn't the official name because it actually is.

LonelyGaruga
Jul 16, 2014, 10:52 PM
Localization can do what it wants, the current official romanization in the Japanese version of PSO2 is still Crotho. It's... not that hard of a concept to grasp, really.

It's not. The concept that's difficult to grasp is why Sega's official romanization squad is so awful at their job. I doubt they even spelled it the way they intended to have as official in the first place. Spelling and grammar errors are all too common even with official localizations, don't see any reason to dismiss the possibility of that being the case with the man with the money. Chroto, for a fact, is meaningless. Klotho and Clotho (which is just a different spelling) are not. There's also that bit in the English patch thread on that one website (you know what I mean) where one of the people there goes into detail on how クロト shares the exact same spelling as the asteroid he's named after (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%83%88_(%E5%B0%8F%E6%83%91%E6 %98%9F)), which is called Klotho in English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/97_Klotho).

So...is there any reason not to believe that this was just an error on Sega's part? It happens all the time, even when the entire game is being localized. If there's an inconsistency, then it's basically the same thing as not being able to decide on the name. Internal names though? I see those commonly used whenever a character has no official name. Sure, for PSO2 they're only descriptive for enemies, even for named characters like "dpfishelder" (Dark Falz Elder, naturally), but this is outright the name of the character being spelled out here. No descriptive name here. And it's...Klotho.

Seems like the official romanization is an error to me. It's strange that people are willing to defend this "official" romanization without considering that it's plausibly an error on Sega's end. English is constantly used incorrectly in Japan, both IRL and in media. Wouldn't be surprising if they messed it up again with this. It's not like it's the only time they would have done this, they spelled Hadred as Hudred on the OST, despite Hadred being the spelling they went with prior.

TaigaUC
Jul 16, 2014, 10:53 PM
I'm playing in JP so he's just Kuroto in katakana to me.
Simpler that way. Wahaha.

Anyway, just because internal files spelled it Klotho doesn't mean it's official.
The person who wrote that could have been confused as to how to name it, and ended up copying the English Patch name.
SEGA is well aware of the EN patch, so that's a complete possibility.

Kikikiki
Jul 16, 2014, 10:54 PM

It's not really worth arguing about anyway.
SEGA is hella inconsistent with katakana of EN words, too.

Thread can be closed now.

gigawuts
Jul 16, 2014, 10:54 PM
It's not. The concept that's difficult to grasp is why Sega's official romanization squad is so awful at their job. I doubt they even spelled it the way they intended to have as official in the first place. Spelling and grammar errors are all too common even with official localizations, don't see any reason to dismiss the possibility of that being the case with the man with the money. Chroto, for a fact, is meaningless. Klotho and Clotho (which is just a different spelling) are not. There's also that bit in the English patch thread on that one website (you know what I mean) where one of the people there goes into detail on how クロト shares the exact same spelling as the asteroid he's named after (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%83%88_(%E5%B0%8F%E6%83%91%E6 %98%9F)), which is called Klotho in English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/97_Klotho).

So...is there any reason not to believe that this was just an error on Sega's part? It happens all the time, even when the entire game is being localized. If there's an inconsistency, then it's basically the same thing as not being able to decide on the name. Internal names though? I see those commonly used whenever a character has no official name. Sure, for PSO2 they're only descriptive for enemies, even for named characters like "dpfishelder" (Dark Falz Elder, naturally), but this is outright the name of the character being spelled out here. No descriptive name here. And it's...Klotho.

Seems like the official romanization is an error to me. It's strange that people are willing to defend this "official" romanization without considering that it's plausibly an error on Sega's end. English is constantly used incorrectly in Japan, both IRL and in media. Wouldn't be surprising if they messed it up again with this.

An internal working name is not a finalized name. All things being equal, a name that makes it into the credits is more likely to be a finalized name.

And, intended or not, it's what they put on the face of the final product. Until they state otherwise it is official canon.

Deal with it.

TaigaUC
Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
Chroto, for a fact, is meaningless.

That's like saying Katee is meaningless compared to Katie.
Or that Cate Blanchett's first name is meaningless. It's still based on the name Kate, which (if I recall correctly) comes from Kathryn, which is Greek for purity.
Look up meaning of any variation of that name, and they all point to that original meaning.
You see my point? People have been intentionally "misspelling" names for centuries.
Because it's nice to have a bit of variation and uniqueness. You know?

Or look at my name here. Tiger = Taiga. Taiga = meaningless?
But you obviously know it's meant to be Tiger, or something related to a Tiger.
It's also why the name Taiga is more popular in Japanese now, because it sounds like Tiger in English.

Another example is how people like to make fun of anything that sounds like genitalia or vulgarity in their own language.
Cochroneda? Cock, hawhaw! I geddit! Etcetra...

Kondibon
Jul 16, 2014, 10:56 PM
Just for refrence, what about Dark Falz?

gigawuts
Jul 16, 2014, 10:57 PM
You see my point? People have been intentionally "misspelling" names for centuries.

Quick, nobody bring up that all words were at one point meaningless because they had literally not yet been assigned meaning.

Also, nobody point out that if Chroto has been defined as this character's name then it literally has a meaning.

Nobody point out the entire functioning logic behind language's entire existence.

TaigaUC
Jul 16, 2014, 11:04 PM
Quick, nobody bring up that all words were at one point meaningless because they had literally not yet been assigned meaning.

Also, nobody point out that if Chroto has been defined as this character's name then it literally has a meaning.

Nobody point out the entire functioning logic behind language's entire existence.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
It's also why I'm really bad at naming characters. No meaning makes it difficult.
But in reality, people are named without knowing how they will turn out.
Characters are different, it's backwards.

Gardios
Jul 16, 2014, 11:21 PM
Just for refrence, what about Dark Falz?
You mean his internal name?

dp_elder

Now I'm not that familiar with the series, but I've seen it romanized as Dark Phallus in artbooks etc., hence DP.

ShinMaruku
Jul 16, 2014, 11:23 PM
Dark Falz is a mistranslation of Dark Phallus so yes.

TaigaUC
Jul 16, 2014, 11:30 PM
Probably one of the reasons why the game won't see a Western release.

"Phallus? What's that mea-- *GASP*! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" *castrates self*

ShinMaruku
Jul 17, 2014, 12:04 AM
PS1 had dark phallus. It's in 2 it became dark force. A smart localization trick.

Kondibon
Jul 17, 2014, 12:19 AM
I brought up Falz to point out that the "official" translation isn't always "right" in the sense that it's what they actually meant. His name was always supposed to be Dark Force. It's not a localization trick, they literally just transliterated it wrong. ファルス can be romanized Falz, Force, Phallus, or even Farce.

Which brings me to the point that Crotho, while "official" probably isn't what they MEANT.

My other point is that later, no one is going to give a crap and we're going to call him whatever we want, why is there a 5 page thread on this topic?

LonelyGaruga
Jul 17, 2014, 12:22 AM
Anyway, just because internal files spelled it Klotho doesn't mean it's official.
The person who wrote that could have been confused as to how to name it, and ended up copying the English Patch name.
SEGA is well aware of the EN patch, so that's a complete possibility.

I'm not suggesting it is so much that I'm suggesting that it's as official as the credits roll. It's inside the game. Credits, internal names, whatever. His name is クロト, that's the only consistent thing we have. Anything in another language from a company that constantly mucks it up isn't reliable. Chroto, Klotho, neither of those are any more reliable than the other, except that Klotho has actual meaning behind it, and fits within a theme that Sega goes to on numerous occasions. If they're copying the English patch, then they're shameless copycats. Can't say anything against such a claim, it's entirely plausible, but then it really blurs the lines between official and unofficial if they stick with it.

An internal working name is not a finalized name. All things being equal, a name that makes it into the credits is more likely to be a finalized name.

And, intended or not, it's what they put on the face of the final product. Until they state otherwise it is official canon.

They aren't equal. One name references a theme that Sega has repeatedly drawn from with both past and present names. The other does not. Out of all of these deliberate references to space, does it make sense for them to decide "Hey, let's change this one to make up something new"?

And this isn't even considering that the entire game is peppered with misused English. Chroto being in the credits doesn't mean much when the only thing stopping me from claiming half or more of the English in PSO2 is incorrect is not having checked every bit of content to make sure of it.

Canon or not, Sega is full of misuses of English, and Chroto is pretty likely to be another such mistake, given that, yeah, this is an actual thing he was named after. The spelling is exactly the same.

Deal with it.

You're making assumptions. Don't do that.

Or that Cate Blanchett's first name is meaningless. It's still based on the name Kate, which (if I recall correctly) comes from Kathryn, which is Greek for purity.
Look up meaning of any variation of that name, and they all point to that original meaning.

This is completely different from what's going on with クロト though, and not exactly what happens. The examples you give are words evolving and changing over the course of time as language changes. There have been no such changes with Chroto/Clotho/Klotho. On the one hand, we have a perfectly valid name for an asteroid that's still in use and hasn't changed ever. On the other, we have...something imagined right on the spot. In a series that consistently references asteroid and other space related names.

It doesn't make sense for such an arbitrary change to be intentional, like what happened with the things you name.

Or look at my name here. Tiger = Taiga. Taiga = meaningless?
But you obviously know it's meant to be Tiger, or something related to a Tiger.
It's also why the name Taiga is more popular in Japanese now, because it sounds like Tiger in English.

I thought Taiga was how Japanese spell and pronounce Tiger. A cursory check with Google Translate has タイガー being romanized as taigā, which would indicate that this is exactly the case.

Which would mean that taiga means exactly the same thing as Tiger, just being spelled differently by people using a different language. Which is exactly how the asteroid named Klotho becomes クロト and then becomes Kuroto. It was named by this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Wilhelm_Tempel), who certainly wasn't Japanese...but the Japanese word for the asteroid he named is still クロト. So going in reverse, クロト should become Klotho, no? Sure, it's pronounced Kuroto, but going off the taiga thing, タイガー would be romanized as tygah or something similar, and not tiger, which is obviously incorrect. Even Google Translate understands that タイガー is tiger. So why would クロト mean anything but Klotho, when that's exactly what it's used for?

I don't see how this is anything but a shoddy translation on Sega's part.

Another example is how people like to make fun of anything that sounds like genitalia or vulgarity in their own language.
Cochroneda? Cock, hawhaw! I geddit! Etcetra...

That's just people noticing similarities in languages that mean completely different things. Not even related to what's going on with Mr. Moneybags.

Because it totally makes sense for a series that names characters after space related terms to give the official romanization of a word that names an object inside of space as something entirely unrelated.

Never mind that none of that is related to the case at hand. This isn't about inventing entirely new words. This is about making up a way to romanize a word. Yeah, Chroto is basically how クロト is pronounced. No, it's not what it means. クロト means the asteroid Klotho. It doesn't mean the Greek Klotho/Clotho, that's クロートー. It means the asteroid. So why, when they specifically go for the exact same spelling as the asteroid, would they intentionally romanize it as something else? They didn't make up the spelling. They used the exact same thing as the asteroid.

I don't believe the people that named the characters and the people that romanized their names even communicated with each other on the matter, frankly. Without knowing that there already was a romanization that was used for an existing asteroid, they would naturally romanize it as closely to what it sounded. Chroto, in other words. Right? Canon, but still a mistake. Which is what I'm getting at.

Whether it's canon or not, they still typo consistently enough that it doesn't make sense to take the credits at face value, since they themselves would be at risk of errors. If Chroto is what they were going for, or if Chroto was a mistake, the credits are as unreliable as everything else.

Cyron Tanryoku
Jul 17, 2014, 12:24 AM
i like how this got serious

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 17, 2014, 12:25 AM
I brought up Falz to point out that the "official" translation isn't always "right" in the sense that it's what they actually meant. His name was always supposed to be Dark Force. It's not a localization trick, they literally just transliterated it wrong. ファルス can be romanized Falz, Force, Phallus, or even Farce.

Which brings me to the point that Crotho, while "official" probably isn't what they MEANT.

My other point is that later, no one is going to give a crap and we're going to call him whatever we want, why is there a 5 page thread on this topic?

your correct though it originally was called the dark force in the older phantasy star games
for those that haven't played the original turn based single player phantasy star games heres a link to the dark forces history
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Force

Gardios
Jul 17, 2014, 12:28 AM
why is there a 5 page thread on this topic?

High level PSOW discussion, that's why. I'm surprised it doesn't have more pages. :|

ShinMaruku
Jul 17, 2014, 12:29 AM
People can aruge about almost anything. It's why we are so successful. It's also why we are so fucked up.

Kondibon
Jul 17, 2014, 12:29 AM
your correct though it originally was called the dark force in the older phantasy star games
for those that haven't played the original turn based single player phantasy star games heres a link to the dark forces history
http://phantasystar.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_ForceThe original version of the first game is where Falz came from.

High level PSOW discussion, that's why. I'm surprised it doesn't have more pages. :|

I guess it could be worse. We could be arguing about mechanics and which class can oneshot oodans .5 seconds faster...

Chik'Tikka
Jul 17, 2014, 02:32 AM
How long into the credits does it show EN stuff? cause i watched the credits not long ago (like the song, okay?) and i swear it was 100% chicken scratch+^_^+

I guess it could be worse. We could be arguing about mechanics and which class can oneshot oodans .5 seconds faster...

RAs of course+^_^+ cause bullets travel faster then Il Megid+^_^+

UnLucky
Jul 17, 2014, 03:03 AM
Yeah I'm gonna go to the Lilipur Underworks to fight Varder

Aine
Jul 17, 2014, 03:12 AM
Yeah I'm gonna go to the Lilipur Underworks to fight Varder

you can easily solo BossMecha even on SH as long as you destroy its core so it can't produce any BossMechaRepairs

Hrith
Jul 17, 2014, 03:20 AM
This.

Until something else is actually published, i.e. not part of internal files, the official spelling is Chroto. Official, as in officially in the actual game credits as published by the actual game publisher.

You don't have to call him that though. You can call him whatever you like. I won't call him Chroto. But I also won't say that Chroto isn't the official name because it actually is.That's an incredibly stupid reasoning, though. If the developer makes mistakes, you make them to? Way to promote stupidity.

PSU had a terrible translation team for the US version, full of mistakes. Should we have called the 7★ GRM rifle Asassin and not Assassin, because 'it said so in-game' so it's 'official'? Please.

If the developing or localising teams make mistakes, we must not blindly and stupidly follow those. We have brains, let's use them.

The Scwann and Strauß rifles is another good example of SEGA being dumbfucks. There is no way I'm calling the rifle that looks like a swan 'Strauß'... That's the kind of mistakes a good localisation can fix, instead of repeating the mistakes and being generally very stupid.

Shinamori
Jul 17, 2014, 03:25 AM
*Wonders why this spawned 5 pages*

UnLucky
Jul 17, 2014, 03:27 AM
This has been a thing longer than 60 posts.

Try since before the EN patch existed.

gigawuts
Jul 17, 2014, 08:31 AM
That's an incredibly stupid reasoning, though. If the developer makes mistakes, you make them to? Way to promote stupidity.

PSU had a terrible translation team for the US version, full of mistakes. Should we have called the 7★ GRM rifle Asassin and not Assassin, because 'it said so in-game' so it's 'official'? Please.

If the developing or localising teams make mistakes, we must not blindly and stupidly follow those. We have brains, let's use them.

The Scwann and Strauß rifles is another good example of SEGA being dumbfucks. There is no way I'm calling the rifle that looks like a swan 'Strauß'... That's the kind of mistakes a good localisation can fix, instead of repeating the mistakes and being generally very stupid.

You're incredibly stupid, Hrith, but even despite your periodic psychotic outbursts that get covered up with little to no penalization I continue to humor your overly argumentative and trivially contrarian existence (did you know? fury stance is better with 200 raw satk because my barehand punches get a relatively higher bonus than when I use an 800 satk weapon! let me tell you why your assumption is stupid).

Why Sega called it that doesn't matter. What matters is that it is called that. Mistake? Change of heart? Misunderstanding? None of that matters. That's what's on the official information. That's what he's literally officially called.

Don't like that? Don't call him that. But don't deny that that's the official name.

Until Sega makes something new with a different spelling (which they might!) that's the official name. That's canon. That's the one single time his name has been officially translated on a final product. That's what should go in translated wikis and shit, because that's what's on the official final product. Feel free to add a bit of trivia at the bottom of the wiki page saying "Did you know?..."

Aussei
Jul 17, 2014, 09:50 AM
So where's the rest of this data mining stuff at? I would like to see it! Not just name translations I don't care about that. xD

Lostbob117
Jul 17, 2014, 09:58 AM
So where's the rest of this data mining stuff at? I would like to see it! Not just name translations I don't care about that. xD

I posted the icons somewhere here in a thread and http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=193&start=90#p8527

Chik'Tikka
Jul 18, 2014, 02:50 AM
this whole Chroto/Klotho (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%83%88_%28%E5%B0%8F%E6%83%91% E6%98%9F%29) thing, he's named, like DuDu and Marlu and etc. after various astral objects+^_^+ just some tech geek astrologer couldn't figure out how to write Roman characters into Katakana properly (probably just copied it right from the Wikipedia site) caused that whole mess with Klotho+^_^+

Even Google translate goes as far as to translate クロト (小惑星) as Clotho (asteroid) +^_^+

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 04:16 AM
Lilipur (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00EDI88IQ)

Ririepa:[SPOILER-BOX]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vTSEkXuTlG4/Uqwz0XHzHtI/AAAAAAAAV8I/jOX5XVOvyDQ/s640/Mercy-of-Lillipa.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
Lillipa:[SPOILER-BOX]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F_Ixnvof8Fg/UyUrGQLPMeI/AAAAAAAAYSY/skO2zmfLuEg/s647/Mercy-of-Lillipa-Cardk.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kuna:[SPOILER-BOX]http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/25thanniversary/goods/image/goods_ss_10_01l.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
Quna:[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-AJkbtWGQ[/SPOILER-BOX]

For more information on this subject, please read the following articles from a professional Japanese to English translator:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-why-is-yoshi-sometimes-called-yossy/
http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/damcyan/#whats-in-a-name

Clyde Mandelin wrote:
As I’ve mentioned before, you really have to take “official” English spellings with a grain of salt. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve encountered incorrect English by a Japanese creator or licensor.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 18, 2014, 05:08 AM
Lilipur (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00EDI88IQ)

Ririepa:[SPOILER-BOX]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vTSEkXuTlG4/Uqwz0XHzHtI/AAAAAAAAV8I/jOX5XVOvyDQ/s640/Mercy-of-Lillipa.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
Lillipa:[SPOILER-BOX]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F_Ixnvof8Fg/UyUrGQLPMeI/AAAAAAAAYSY/skO2zmfLuEg/s647/Mercy-of-Lillipa-Cardk.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kuna:[SPOILER-BOX]http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/25thanniversary/goods/image/goods_ss_10_01l.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
Quna:[SPOILER-BOX]Quna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU-AJkbtWGQ)[/SPOILER-BOX]

i enjoyed this though i knew most of it never knew edward was named gilbert it's always good to laugh at so called professional doing a terrible job

now as for sega there notoriously known for bad offical translations
and ive seen bad translations that involve typos in games like Sarkness which is clearly supposed to be Darkness

TheAstarion
Jul 18, 2014, 07:53 AM
People had doubts about this?

From the katakana it could also have been Culotte, as in french ass-hugging ass-baring underpants. Not the first time (http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-20/art/lpt-culotte-portraits1.jpg) a game character has been named that.

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 08:12 AM
this whole Chroto/Klotho (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%83%88_%28%E5%B0%8F%E6%83%91% E6%98%9F%29) thing, he's named, like DuDu and Marlu and etc. after various astral objects+^_^+ just some tech geek astrologer couldn't figure out how to write Roman characters into Katakana properly (probably just copied it right from the Wikipedia site) caused that whole mess with Klotho+^_^+

Even Google translate goes as far as to translate クロト (小惑星) as Clotho (asteroid) +^_^+

This is a completely plausible scenario and I believe it might have actually happened.

And it doesn't change a thing.

The final version of the game has exactly one officially endorsed translation: Chroto. If we're going to bicker over internal names then when are we going to necro the "Hey guys, Braver is referred to as 'NEET' in the gamefiles!" thread for its brilliant intellectual discussion?

I'm not discussing opinions or preferences. I don't care what people think sounds better (Frankly, I think Klotho is even more retarded than Chroto, and I'd prefer neither). These words (like "official") have actual definitions. Chroto is the official name until stated otherwise in the future. It's what people who don't read internal gamefiles or post on PSO World will see. It's what JP players who've never seen names in romaji see. It's his name.

Lillipur is an example of when that shit is taken out of the internal gamefiles and given to a ton of different people to translate at their whim because Sega don't give a fuck. You won't see me saying this or that is official until they publish the first actual western game. Or, maybe I'd say whatever's in the SEA version is official; but I don't know how intimately Sega was involved with that whole process so I dunno.

GoldGenII
Jul 18, 2014, 01:17 PM
I sure hope we don't have to fight the Marine Oar Fish in the Vopar TA. ¦B

Maenara
Jul 18, 2014, 02:40 PM
I think we should all just compromise. I think we can all agree on the name "Meseta Man".

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 06:09 PM
Chroto is the official name until stated otherwise in the future. It's what people who don't read internal gamefiles or post on PSO World will see. It's what JP players who've never seen names in romaji see. It's his name.
None of the "English" names are official. Or rather, all of them are. Each of the different takes on transliterating the kana are indistinguishable to the intended Japanese audience.

His name is クロト. And that's all anyone in Japan will know him by.

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 06:18 PM
None of the "English" names are official. Or rather, all of them are. Each of the different takes on transliterating the kana are indistinguishable to the intended Japanese audience.

His name is クロト. And that's all anyone in Japan will know him by.

This was true until the vita version's credits came out, which included the name Chroto.

It's an officially published name now. If somebody who was supposed to catch it didn't then that's their own damn fault. If their intent was blablabla-I don't give a fuck. Official. Publication. Actual product.

This is very, very simple, people.

This is not a debate. This is the literal definition of these words being put to use. If you have a problem with any of this, kindly send a complaint to Merriam Webster about it.

Sacrificial
Jul 18, 2014, 06:24 PM

Same for the "partisan" starter weapons

[SPOILER-BOX]Named partisan while it is a glaive.
http://puu.sh/ahmSS/288709809c.png

Named halbert while it is a partisan
http://puu.sh/ahmVA/c4232b68d7.png

Named glaive while it is a halbert.
http://puu.sh/ahmXy/83f1877b23.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Someone was just being drunk. As for character naming I just the credits version.

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 06:25 PM
As for character naming I just the credits version.

No you can't because you see that's wrong because I DON'T LIKE IT

- psow

Sacrificial
Jul 18, 2014, 06:28 PM
No you can't because you see that's wrong because I DON'T LIKE IT

- psow

sorry.

Maenara
Jul 18, 2014, 06:30 PM
I still vote for my suggestion, rename Klotho to "Meseta Man".

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 06:35 PM
It's an officially published name now. If somebody who was supposed to catch it didn't then that's their own damn fault. If their intent was blablabla-I don't give a fuck. Official. Publication. Actual product.

Liliepa, Lillipa, and Lilipur are all in official publications.

Kuna is on official licensed product. So is Quna.

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 06:39 PM
Liliepa, Lillipa, and Lilipur are all in official publications.

Kuna is on official licensed product. So is Quna.

And?

All that means is there's:
A. A conflict for those terms
B. Multiple acceptable terms
C. No actual finalized term

None of that applies to Chroto. Furthermore, AFAIK the most recent terms for Quna are all with a Q, suggesting the name was finalized. Same for Lilipur, I believe. This happened around the time the OSTs came out, most likely because the names needed to be finalized for the song titles.

Also, I just want to clarify that you're trying to equate the attention to detail given to a game's credits with what some shitfaced intern puts on an ad banner.

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 08:30 PM
Well it's not in the PC game's credits anywhere, so it's not Chroto.

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 08:32 PM
Well it's not in the PC game's credits anywhere, so it's not Chroto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvrpHQws16Y&t=2m30s

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 08:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-g_t-lOCFs

Or just going into the game right now and watching it from there to see the latest one.

Those are the actual, legal credits. Not a silly cutscene that used romaji for whatever stylistic choice. Who knows if they even received anything other than the character names in Japanese?

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-g_t-lOCFs

Or just going into the game right now and watching it from there to see the latest one.

Weren't those the launch credits?

The credits I linked appear in the story quest I believe, and are obviously much more recent.

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 08:45 PM
The ones in the title screen have the same stuff, as well as crediting the concert songs. There's hardly any "English" whatsoever in either. Can't find a video on the internet of the current one, though.

Also stealth edit.

Gama
Jul 18, 2014, 08:48 PM
*pull's on pipe*

wow you guys must be really bored huh?

does it matter cant we decide on a "translation"

gigawuts
Jul 18, 2014, 09:11 PM
Those are the actual, legal credits. Not a silly cutscene that used romaji for whatever stylistic choice. Who knows if they even received anything other than the character names in Japanese?

The ones in the title screen have the same stuff, as well as crediting the concert songs. There's hardly any "English" whatsoever in either. Can't find a video on the internet of the current one, though.

Also stealth edit.

Doesn't matter.

I don't care about some made up sob story about how or why it was put in unintentionally.

You can find it in the game, so until it is retconned it is official material. It is also the only material.

UnLucky
Jul 18, 2014, 09:13 PM
*pull's on pipe*

wow you guys must be really bored huh?

does it matter cant we decide on a "translation"
Well yeah, the EN patch team has decided on Klotho, along with the English names of the real world astronomical bodies the other characters are named after.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 19, 2014, 12:24 AM
The final version of the game has exactly one officially endorsed translation: Chroto. If we're going to bicker over internal names then when are we going to necro the "Hey guys, Braver is referred to as 'NEET' in the gamefiles!" thread for its brilliant intellectual discussion?

can i request a screen shot from the current version of the game where it says this? i went to watch credits when this thread was made, and it's 99% in chicken scratch as far as i can tell, with exceptions like VARZA Animation Planet, (Spooky Graphic) and nVidia stuff+^_^+

HeyItsTHK
Jul 19, 2014, 04:32 AM
It's stupid name either way, does it matter?

Miyuki_Kamiko
Jul 19, 2014, 05:11 AM
10 pages later and this arguments still going on i guess its always good for those sitting back eating popcorn but for me it's getting stale

#1 Devs are lazy
#2 translators aren't perfect
#3 Devs and translators always screw up
#4 your arguing over "Offical screw ups"
#5 Sega is known for "Offical screw ups"
#6 this arguments pointless
#7 nobody here works for sega
#8 the translator team that works on the english patch aren't "Offical translators"
#9 the translator team that works on the english patch does it on there free time
#10 the english patch team if they wanted to could rename Klotho to Johhny young bosch if they wanted to
because it's there free time and there side project
#11 you guys want perfect english patch do it yourselves or go get a Job working for Sakai at Sega

Maronji
Jul 19, 2014, 05:30 AM
10 pages later and this arguments still going on i guess its always good for those sitting back eating popcorn but for me it's getting stale

[...]

/thread.

You guys really need to find something better to argue about.

UnLucky
Jul 19, 2014, 08:16 AM
If that's all it took to kill threads, pos-world would be a ghost town

gigawuts
Jul 19, 2014, 08:46 AM
/thread.

You guys really need to find something better to argue about.

There is nothing better than arguing a fact against people who say it's wrong because of their opinion.

can i request a screen shot from the current version of the game where it says this? i went to watch credits when this thread was made, and it's 99% in chicken scratch as far as i can tell, with exceptions like VARZA Animation Planet, (Spooky Graphic) and nVidia stuff+^_^+

Go play the game yourself. It should still be available in the story quest.

Even if it's not, that doesn't change that it's currently the only published name. Even if it's been removed, without another name to work with there is no other officially endorsed name.

The act of publishing it, at any point in time, without any other endorsements, makes it the only officially endorsed name.

Sorry you guys don't like words and facts. That sounds like a really hard way of life.

UnLucky
Jul 19, 2014, 09:23 AM
Despite the fact that it makes no difference how it's spelled to the native Japanese audience so long as it sounds the same to them.

The only official name is クロト, and the only accurate translation of the asteroid of the same name is its official English title: Klotho.

gigawuts
Jul 19, 2014, 09:31 AM
Strange, I have yet to see Sega say that that's what his name is based on, and information saying they didn't change his name in specific for some reason or another. That was an observation noted by fans.

This is Sega's name. Not ours. Not the fan translators'. Not the patch makers'. Sega's.

What Sega puts in their own game, is how it is.

You can't walk into somebody else's house and say the walls are the wrong color. It's their fucking house. What they say goes. Sega put that name in the credits? That's what it is until they put in something different.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They make the game, they make the rules, you lot take notes and decide if you want to obey their rules or not. But those are still the rules.

When they published that in the credits is when it became the officially endorsed name. The act of publishing the credits is what made it official. There's literally nothing to argue with what I'm saying here. What you keep doing is saying "But I don't like it." and "But it doesn't fit the theme we noticed that Sega never acknowledged." Okay? Did I say you had to? Did I say it had to fit a theme? Did I say you had to call him that? No. I don't care what you call him. Call him Titfingers for all I care.

Lostbob117
Jul 19, 2014, 09:04 PM
Strange, I have yet to see Sega say that that's what his name is based on, and information saying they didn't change his name in specific for some reason or another. That was an observation noted by fans.

This is Sega's name. Not ours. Not the fan translators'. Not the patch makers'. Sega's.

What Sega puts in their own game, is how it is.

You can't walk into somebody else's house and say the walls are the wrong color. It's their fucking house. What they say goes. Sega put that name in the credits? That's what it is until they put in something different.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They make the game, they make the rules, you lot take notes and decide if you want to obey their rules or not. But those are still the rules.

When they published that in the credits is when it became the officially endorsed name. The act of publishing the credits is what made it official. There's literally nothing to argue with what I'm saying here. What you keep doing is saying "But I don't like it." and "But it doesn't fit the theme we noticed that Sega never acknowledged." Okay? Did I say you had to? Did I say it had to fit a theme? Did I say you had to call him that? No. I don't care what you call him. Call him Titfingers for all I care.

<Qwerty> The proper analogy is walking into a colorblind man's house, who then points to his blue wall and asks, "How do you like my wall? I painted it red." Uh nope.
<Qwerty> The point being that, to him, he perceives no difference, so to him it is not wrong. To others, however, it is objectively incorrect.
<Qwerty> maybe also mention that people REALLY should read those Legends of Localization links I posted, because it shoots holes all through the "IT'S OFFICIAL SO GOTTA BE CORRECT NO MATTER WHAT" bullshit

Gardios
Jul 20, 2014, 01:31 AM
That's not a proper analogy. Localization also doesn't matter because we're not talking about localization. A localization wouldn't have an effect on the source anyway unless they suddenly also started to use the terms the localization used.

...oh my god why am I even still trying to get the point across someone stop me.

UnLucky
Jul 20, 2014, 01:45 AM
Localization also doesn't matter because we're not talking about localization. A localization wouldn't have an effect on the source anyway unless they suddenly also started to use the terms the localization used.
Ok, so what you're saying is that the original term is クロト, so it doesn't matter if we localize it as Klotho or Croto or St.Marie because as far as anyone in Japan is concerned, it's still クロト?

Besides, the articles about localization touch on the original material as well. They kind of have to.

ShinMaruku
Jul 20, 2014, 01:54 AM
馬鹿をシャットダウン! Is what I am getting here.

Kondibon
Jul 20, 2014, 01:58 AM
Yaknow. It's worth mentioning that this whole thread was about the "correct" spelling of his name anyway, not the official one.

Gardios
Jul 20, 2014, 01:59 AM
Ok, so what you're saying is that the original term is クロト, so it doesn't matter if we localize it as Klotho or Croto or St.Marie because as far as anyone in Japan is concerned, it's still クロト?

Besides, the articles about localization touch on the original material as well. They kind of have to.
It's クロト with Crotho as its romanization. If iPSO2 were to call him Klotho, it doesn't change the fact that he's still called Crotho in Japan.

An example that's pretty much the same: This guy is the hero of Tales of Phantasia and is called クレス.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/aIFw9Fe.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
His name is romanized as Cless. The intention of his name was to be Cress, as in the plant, to go with the heroine's name (Mint, which I'm sure you know is also a plant). His name in the localization is in fact Cress. However, despite that, his romanized Japanese name is still Cless. The intention doesn't matter, what matters is what is actually used. In Tales of Phantasia's case, the correct name when talking about his name in the Japanese release is Cless. In our case, it's Crotho.

Lostbob117
Jul 20, 2014, 02:10 AM
It's クロト with Crotho as its romanization. If iPSO2 were to call him Klotho, it doesn't change the fact that he's still called Crotho in Japan.

An example that's pretty much the same: This guy is the hero of Tales of Phantasia and is called クレス.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/aIFw9Fe.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
His name is romanized as Cless. The intention of his name was to be Cress, as in the plant, to go with the heroine's name (Mint, which I'm sure you know is also a plant). His name in the localization is in fact Cress. However, despite that, his romanized Japanese name is still Cless. The intention doesn't matter, what matters is what is actually used. In Tales of Phantasia's case, the correct name when talking about his name in the Japanese release is Cless. In our case, it's Crotho.

Yes, but his correct name is Cress and this is the translation of the jp. Same happens with Yoshi
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-why-is-yoshi-sometimes-called-yossy

UnLucky
Jul 20, 2014, 02:18 AM
Oh, so you're already well aware that "official romanization" can be wrong.

Gardios
Jul 20, 2014, 02:19 AM
I... just made it very clear... why his correct name is Cless when talking about his romanized name from the Japanese version. It's not comparable to Yoshi at all because it's consistently spelled Cless.

@Unlucky: The spelling may be different from the intention, but that doesn't make that spelling wrong. Someone already talked about exactly that a couple of pages ago...

Lostbob117
Jul 20, 2014, 02:25 AM
I... just made it very clear... why his correct name is Cless when talking about his romanized name from the Japanese version. It's not comparable to Yoshi at all because it's consistently spelled Cless.

From the info I read, it is apparently Cress in the Localized versions. Where this plays into the same concept as we're talking about for Klotho. Which one is correct and which one is wrong? We have WAY more evidence that Klotho is more correct than Chroto. While holding onto knowing that SEGA could be wrong in the credits.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 20, 2014, 02:31 AM
*still waiting on that credits screen shot* *can't find 英語 for クロト in credits* *remembers all other NPCs are named after asteroids, and that Klotho is one such asteroid*+^_^+

Kondibon
Jul 20, 2014, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhwGVglHuk

EDIT: It's woth mentioning that it's spelled Croto, not Crotho, both there, and in the SEA version.

UnLucky
Jul 20, 2014, 02:37 AM
Gigawuts posted the story mode credits with the romanized names.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/オランダガラシ

The only correct translation of クレス, when referring to the plant, is cress.

L and R are the same sound in Japanese, so they made a simple mistake.

So yes, it is a very similar situation to Klotho indeed.

Gardios
Jul 20, 2014, 02:58 AM
I don't know what else to do but trying to lay it out clearly.

My ToP analogy:
JP: クレス
Correct Japanese romanization: Cless
Localization: Cress
Possible name reference: Cress, the plant

Pimpman:
JP: クロト
Correct Japanese romanization: Chroto
Localization: Does not exist, apart from seaPSO2 which calls him Chroto
Possibke name reference: Klotho, the asteroid

The reference doesn't matter for the final name that is used because that's all it is, a reference. Heck, in case of Chroto, we don't even know if that's the case anyway, even if it's likely.

EDIT: It's woth mentioning that it's spelled Croto, not Crotho, both there, and in the SEA version.

With all those names thrown around I think it's fair to assume that I meant Chroto whenever I typed Crotho. EveryoIe knows that's what I meant anyway and I did spell him Chroto in other posts. <_<"

Kondibon
Jul 20, 2014, 03:49 AM
I'm only still here because there's something I've been wanting to say for a while. This whole thing only bothers me because people are showing a clear lack of critical thinking by ignoring things like context, and related facts. If we're only talking about which name is more "official" then yes, it's Croto.
That doesn't however mean that it's what they intended. That's what this thread is about, and completely ignoring the fact that other characters have names based off celestial bodies, there are instances of his name being Krotho in the files, and there's prescient for japanese media to have blatantly incorrect spellings of romanizations, isn't how you figure this kind of stuff out. This is why I brought up Dark Falz/Force/Phallus before. Those are ALL technically correct romanizations, but only one is the right one depending on the context and intentions of the writer. By thinking a little we can figure out which one is most likely contextually correct based on the context. Falz isn't even a word so it's immediately dropped out, Phallus is, but this isn't a giant penis monster, or even that phalic, and the story of the phantasy star games has nothing to do with that. The result is Dark Force being the most likely correct answer because, that's what it is, a dark force. Being consistently incorrect doesn't make it what was intended, even if it's "official".

The fact that Sega has shown multiple times that they DON'T have consistent english spellings for a lot of these words and names makes it even muddier. Saying that the ONLY one that matters is a single instance in the credits is just bad problem solving. This isn't about localizations, or what's official, this is about whether or not his name is spelled, in english, the way whoever came up with it intended based on the context.

The correct answer however isn't Croto, Klotho, or whatever. It's "We don't know". Based on the context, and what we know Klotho or Clotho would be the most likely because it fits with the theme of celestial bodies seen with other characters, and anything else is just gibberish. There ARE other naming schemes of the characters, but they're all either based off an existing word, or normal names. There aren't any other words with can get from クロト that I know of, and it's not a normal name (again, that I know of), which leaves only Clotho or gibberish.

It is however impossible to know if it ISN'T gibberish because we do still lack facts (we don't actually know if his name is based off a celestial body). This means that it can go either way. If he IS then Croto is just the wrong spelling. If he isn't, then it doesn't matter, and the only way we'll find out, is if it's explicitly mentioned.

Without that information we can't determine if "croto" is the "correct" japanese romanization, considering there's no such thing anyway. Official doesn't necessarily mean correct.

Mysterious-G
Jul 20, 2014, 05:04 AM
If the credits list him as Chroto, then I am going to call him Chroto. It's the most official romanization of him that we have as far as I am concerned. As a German, I would have reason to bicker about all the names and words Japanese games, manga and anime take from our language just to typo them at best most of the time, but in the end that is just the spelling that they go for, wrong or not. The attitude to say that they write their own characters' names wrong just because the romanization does not match up with their reference is a bit too much in my opinion, and will leave most of you sorely disappointed if that is the standard you set yourself for any form of the Japanese media.

Cirnopoly
Jul 20, 2014, 05:51 AM
Official doesn't necessarily mean correct.

Guys, listen... guys, come here for a sec and listen to what I'm about to say.

If you have a friend named "Bryan" and their birth certificate officially states them to be "Bryan", then please kindly tell them that their name is wrong because the correct spelling of their name is "Brian". Thank you.

There's no such thing as a name variant in this world. Tell "Roberto" to use "Robert" and "Jeanne" to use "Joan" instead since those names are just translation errors, because they're from countries who don't use english as their primary language.

Also, if you find a woman named "Mary" who have a child named "Jess", then kindly tell them to correct the baby's name because it is obviously a reference to "Jesus". Every name in this world must have a reference, there's no such thing as an original name anyway.

Peace to everyone~

Kondibon
Jul 20, 2014, 06:28 AM
Guys, listen... guys, come here for a sec and listen to what I'm about to say.

If you have a friend named "Bryan" and their birth certificate officially states them to be "Bryan", then please kindly tell them that their name is wrong because the correct spelling of their name is "Brian". Thank you.

There's no such thing as a name variant in this world. Tell "Roberto" to use "Robert" and "Jeanne" to use "Joan" instead since those names are just translation errors, because they're from countries who don't use english as their primary language.

Also, if you find a woman named "Mary" who have a child named "Jess", then kindly tell them to correct the baby's name because it is obviously a reference to "Jesus". Every name in this world must have a reference, there's no such thing as an original name anyway.

Peace to everyone~That's a whole other issue. I'm not telling people not to call him Croto, or even saying Croto isn't the official spelling. I'm saying it's possibly accidentally wrong within the context. I: If you want to use real life examples it would be like someone wanting to name their kid Denzel but writing Densel instead. Or wanting to name your kid Hugh directly after someone but spelling it Huw. Like... oops, it's no big deal, but it was still unintentional.

I clearly pointed out that we can't actually know either way unless the creators come out and say it's one way or another and why anyway.

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify that I don't think it's a bad thing or anything. I just think it's what's happening based on the context and what's going on. Again, if you wanna use real life examples: If a guy is named Noah and he has 3 sons named Shem, Japheth, and Bacon, then yes, I'd ask if he meant to name his 3rd son Ham, or assume other people had.

Mysterious-G
Jul 20, 2014, 06:32 AM
I clearly pointed out that we can't actually know either way unless the creators come out and say it's one way or another and why anyway.

Then I'd have to assume that him being listed as Chroto in two consecutive credits prepped up by the creators does qualify as just that. No?

Kondibon
Jul 20, 2014, 06:44 AM
Then I'd have to assume that him being listed as Chroto in two consecutive credits prepped up by the creators does qualify as just that. No?Again, this isn't about which is official. Dark Force still gets called Dark Falz, and in the first game/online games that was his official name. It was still an accident. Do I care that it's an accident? No, I call him falz all the time. I just don't like that people are so adamant that it HAS to be Chroto and they couldn't have POSSIBLY just made a mistake when coming up for the romanization of his official name like this, despite all the evidence showing how likely that is.

Also, no, the credits don't count, I didn't mean saying "this is how it's spelled", I meant whether or not he's supposed to share his name with Clotho or not.

gigawuts
Jul 20, 2014, 09:11 AM
<Qwerty> The proper analogy is walking into a colorblind man's house, who then points to his blue wall and asks, "How do you like my wall? I painted it red." Uh nope.
<Qwerty> The point being that, to him, he perceives no difference, so to him it is not wrong. To others, however, it is objectively incorrect.
<Qwerty> maybe also mention that people REALLY should read those Legends of Localization links I posted, because it shoots holes all through the "IT'S OFFICIAL SO GOTTA BE CORRECT NO MATTER WHAT" bullshit

I've already read those. And they support what I'm saying.

You lot are missing the parts where I repeatedly say "official" and "I don't care if you call him that."

As people have pointed out, "official" is not "intended" nor is it "correct."

It is only that: Official.

I'm not saying it's what they meant, or what you should use, or any of that drivel. Stop distracting from the point.

I'm saying it's the only endorsed name, even despite not realizing it might not be correct - just like Yossy wasn't realized to be incorrect when originally translated. If Nintendo never did more research and only ever did one translation with the name Yossy, Yoshi's official name would actually be Yossy. His entire Wikipedia page would be found under "Yossy," and searching "Yoshi" would forward you to "Yossy." Why? Because that would be the only term ever actually used by the owning company. It's their shit, they make it all up.

If you are talking about anything else: I don't really care. Who does? It's such a bunch of semantic bullshit who calls him what, just like always. This shit's even worse in the Monster Hunter community, where people who seem to be your run of the mill weeb elitists get the JP versions of the games and learn the japanese names, then refuse to use officially localized names they dislike.

You should see the whining about Zinogre's name. The original name? ジノウガ - Jinouga. Now, オウガ is ouga, or ogre. I find it totally plausible that Zinogre was the intended name from the very beginning. People refused to use it because they said it wasn't the originally intended name, and it sounds dumb and blablabla they just don't like it. In fact, "Zinogre" has been on Japanese merchandise for a while now, and it's apparently been confirmed to be the originally intended name. But do these people use that name? Lots still refuse to. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/64315220) Which...is fine. It doesn't kill anybody to use a J instead of a Z and end the word with an A instead of an ER. But that doesn't mean it's the official term.

Regarding "correct" names? I honestly feel there's no such thing. Official, yes. Common, yes. "Correct" suggests people are wrong. I keep saying you can call Chrono whatever you please, so obviously I don't think anybody's wrong. That pretty highly implies I don't think there's a correct name either. Which I don't. I just don't like seeing people trudging around saying there is no official name when there very plainly is, if you know how to use a dictionary anyway.

You fuckers are playing a game called Phantasy Star Online whining about a company spelling things wrong. Phantasy. With a PH. And you draw the line when you think Sega isn't sticking to a pattern they never said they were using? Get the fuck over it.

Chik'Tikka
Jul 20, 2014, 07:52 PM
So... does anyone remember the official name for this outfit in EN PSU??+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/images/classes/fomarl.jpg
the "official" translation in PSU was Formal set....
it should have been FOmarl set...
I don't trust that SEGA tech geek that failed 8th grade Engrish one bit for "official" translations+^_^+ Considering all the other asteroid names, Klotho is the closest translation to what the Kana name was meant to be unless there was an asteroid or planetoid discovered pre-2012 that got named Chroto +^_^+

gigawuts
Jul 20, 2014, 08:06 PM
So... does anyone remember the official name for this outfit in EN PSU??+^_^+
http://www.pso-world.com/images/classes/fomarl.jpg
the "official" translation in PSU was Formal set....
it should have been FOmarl set...
I don't trust that SEGA tech geek that failed 8th grade Engrish one bit for "official" translations+^_^+ Considering all the other asteroid names, Klotho is the closest translation to what the Kana name was meant to be unless there was an asteroid or planetoid discovered pre-2012 that got named Chroto +^_^+

I was wondering if someone would bring this up.

Tell me: When creating a PSU item database, what would you name this item for people to find when searching for it? People new to Phantasy Star and have never even heard of PSOW so what they see on their screen is all that they know?

Tell me: Does the typical PSO2 player know the name of every asteroid? Would they even notice a pattern with the names? When what they see in the game is all that they know, will they go with what they see in the credits or will they do a bunch of research on every single name to find out what the community calls it, instead of just googling what's actually in the game first?

Chik'Tikka
Jul 20, 2014, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if someone would bring this up.

Tell me: When creating a PSU item database, what would you name this item for people to find when searching for it? People new to Phantasy Star and have never even heard of PSOW so what they see on their screen is all that they know?

well, PSU named all the other sets right... RAmarl jacket, HUnewe boots, etc+^_^+

gigawuts
Jul 20, 2014, 08:11 PM
well, PSU named all the other sets right... RAmarl jacket, HUnewe boots, etc+^_^+

I stealth edited that post.

And what if they've never heard of RAmarls, or HUnewearls, or FOmarls? Ever. What if they haven't even seen those items before, and have only seen the Formal clothes in the shops?

Should this item still only be called FOmarl on every resource? Or should it actually be called what it's actually named in an item database?