PDA

View Full Version : is crafting worth it?

jeremycards
Jul 24, 2014, 07:23 PM
Ok before anyone jumps at my troat... i just never really looked into crafting, it seems complicated, and so far it has been really confusing to me (as crafting some weapons lowered the damage instead of increasing and stuff like that...) so before i really get into it... is it worth it?. For what i heard there's some cool things to do like adding classes available to use the weapon and such, but besides that, can you make a big damage difference with it?, because right now im seriously confused about how crafting afects damage.

UnLucky
Jul 24, 2014, 07:35 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217683
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218971

jeremycards
Jul 24, 2014, 07:42 PM
mmm i see, so the best option is still to get stuff with 10 or 11 stars and ignore crafting in that case, correct?

branflakes325
Jul 24, 2014, 08:08 PM
Overall, weapon crafting is very useful when you're working your way towards obtaining optimal gear. As far as I know, crafting any weapon among a certain weapon type will yield the same similar results. In other words, a crafted 10 star launcher will have stats similar to a crafted 3 star launcher, and the only significant differences would be the latent ability and any affixed abilities. The main factor keeping crafted weapons from being great standalone weapons is the damage variance. Unlike most/all other weapons, crafted weapon damage output fluctuates between around 60%(?) to 100% of its maximum, thus making it noticeably weaker than many 10-11* weapons.

Crafting definitely has its long-term merits though. For example, the double saber Monkey King Bar (or Nyoibo) has a latent ability that has a chance of increasing the amount of slots naturally found in weapons and units, which can allow you to find some valuable materials used for affixing abilities that you can sell for high profit. The problem with Nyoibo, however, is that it's normally Fighter-only. Crafting to add classes will remedy this problem, though it wouldn't do anything to make the weapon viable offensively. Another instance of utility in crafting would be allowing a subclass to equip a main-class weapon type. For example, Gunner/Hunter is a popular Twin Machingun-using class combo that focuses mainly on DPS using a single weapon type. Unless you own a hunter-equippable 10 or 11 star TMG you're going to have a bit more trouble leveling Hunter (because Hunter/Gunner can't equip most TMGs). You would have to resort to using a Lambda Aresvis, which is a fairly weak 7* all-class TMG. Alternatively, you could craft something like a Twin Yasminkov 2000H with the Zero Effort latent, which is considered one of the best latent abilities for TMGs. Despite the drastic damage variance that makes the weapon significantly worse than something like Helen Trager (11* with Zero Effort), it would be much stronger than a weak all-class 7* TMG for leveling Hunter. Unfortunately, the Add Hunter crafting item is pretty expensive because Hunter is a popular subclass. You may be better off continuously crafting a weapon to get additional class options at random, though this could also be pretty expensive.

Unit crafting is a bit different. There is no damage variance involved, but crafting units removes their parameters. The important parameters that get removed are usually HP and PP, while extra bonuses such as set effects still work. The parameters get replaced with either +30HP/+1PP, +20HP/+2PP or +10HP/+3PP per unit depending on which crafting options you choose. The plus side is that you get significantly better defenses with crafting, and the replacement parameters aren't too bad.

I probably could have explained this more briefly, but I hope it makes sense. Refer to the crafting section on Cirnopedia for details.

GHNeko
Jul 24, 2014, 11:38 PM
Overall, weapon crafting is very useful when you're working your way towards obtaining optimal gear. As far as I know, crafting any weapon among a certain weapon type will yield the same results. In other words, a crafted 10 star launcher will have the same stats as a crafted 3 star launcher, and the only differences would be the latent ability and any affixed abilities. The main factor keeping crafted weapons from being great standalone weapons is the damage variance. Unlike most/all other weapons, crafted weapon damage output fluctuates between around 60%(?) to 100% of its maximum, thus making it noticeably weaker than many 10-11* weapons.

The difference between crafting a 3* weapon and a 10* weapon are the gaps in power per ExLv. For example, a 3* weapon crafted can have 800 ATK @ ExLv10, but a 10* weapon crafted can have that same attack @ ExLv4. More resources are devoted into leveling up a crafted weapon because you have to level up sequentially. The end results are mostly the same, though some groups of rarity have higher ATK Values than other e.g. 7-9* have a slight ATK advantage of a few points over 10* and 11* as well as 1-3* and 4-6*. But it's negliable.

The gaps in attack power are also exaggerated by grind value scaling, but again, the end results CAN be the same.

Other than that, yeah, it'll mostly be the affixes and potentials that are the differentiating factors for crafted weapons.

And as you mentioned, giving weapons certain class compatibilities that otherwise would not be possible normally.

SakuRei
Jul 25, 2014, 12:15 AM
Crafted weapons are good though, if you don't have any good 10* or higher weapons yet, it can be sufficient to save up meseta for your future weapon/s or units. Though never craft 10* weapons or higher, since some say they'll screw up the hidden stats or some sort.

Sizustar
Jul 25, 2014, 01:32 AM
Crafted weapons are good though, if you don't have any good 10* or higher weapons yet, it can be sufficient to save up meseta for your future weapon/s or units. Though never craft 10* weapons or higher, since some say they'll screw up the hidden stats or some sort.

It's not some say, it's confirmed.

10* has a damage variance of 90%~100% damage.
Crafted weapon, damage variance is 60%~100%, which make the DPS lower.

Shiyo
Jul 25, 2014, 01:37 AM
Crafted weapons are only good for players who don't have prem, otherwise you can buy a decent +10 affixed 50 element 10* weapon for much less than a high extended weapon that also does much more damage than crafted weapons.

Kondibon
Jul 25, 2014, 02:06 AM
Don't craft rares at all if it's just to tide you over until you get something good by the way. The damage difference between an extended rare and an extended common is really small. So if you just want something fast and cheap an Ex.1-6 1-3* weapon is better than wasting money on a rare that gets maybe 20-60 more max damage, but costs exponentially more to grind and extend.

If you have premium then like Shiyo said, there are a bunch of cheap 10* weapons that are stronger than extended weapons.

fruiteaterz
Jul 25, 2014, 05:04 AM
sorry to say, but no.

SakuRei
Jul 25, 2014, 06:38 AM
It's not some say, it's confirmed.

10* has a damage variance of 90%~100% damage.
Crafted weapon, damage variance is 60%~100%, which make the DPS lower.

As for me it's useful. Crafted Weapons are my most used weapon/s as of now, since I'm still planning for a good 10* weapons or higher. Since nowadays, no one sells 9* or lower items with good stats anymore, non-premium users & starter-wise, this is a good starter for a temporary main weapon.

sayi50
Jul 25, 2014, 07:02 AM
Depends on the class and the weapon I'd say.

For example: I am a Braver and I am using a crafted Sigalga.
Sigalga has two potentials and one of them is increased crit rate in one of the stances that I am using. Combined with other crit rate buffs from here and there, I crit a lot with Sigalga which makes me hit max damage most of the time and ignore the 60% variance. Though I am planning on getting a 10* or 11* in the future, currently it is quite good.

So if you can make it work, why the hell not?

moorebounce
Jul 25, 2014, 09:46 AM
mmm i see, so the best option is still to get stuff with 10 or 11 stars and ignore crafting in that case, correct?

No just craft 9* Weapons and lower. Also Craft Tech and Units.

starwind75043
Jul 25, 2014, 12:18 PM
basically crafted weapon should only be used as a gap filler due to things like lvl gap,low dex , or s attack or t attack, once those things are not a issue you need to get non crafted weapons

UnLucky
Jul 25, 2014, 12:26 PM
Unless there's a specific latent that you want, the strongest 9* is going to be better.

You can equip a maxed extension weapon a little earlier than a 9* if you use a 10% reduction, but seriously that damage range is obscene.

I wouldn't really bother trying to get the most out of a crafted weapon since by lv50 you should have an AQ trade in or a darker 10* from TD. The SH versions should trump crafting by a large margin.

branflakes325
Jul 25, 2014, 04:58 PM
Semi-related question:

Which wand deals more damage against machines as a Te/Fi? A crafted Guarditorch with Lv.3 Machine Hunter or a Bio wand with Lv.3 Immediate Destruction? Both with 50 lightning element for maximum wand-smacking damage. Would the crafted Guarditorch deal better melee damage because wand explosions can't be JA'd? Also would Guarditorch deal more damage using techs?