PDA

View Full Version : pso2 proxy. Good or bad?

sarttan
Jul 27, 2014, 10:26 AM
I stumbled across this on Reditt.

[SPOILER-BOX]I have a public proxy up up that uses my PSO2Proxy software, for instructions how to connect, use the link below.

http://pso2proxy.cyberkitsune.net/

If anyone is having any trouble, please reply to this comment or bug me on the IRC channel described on the instructions.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

I haven't touched it yet, but do you guys think this is a good idea or a bad idea?

Punisher106
Jul 27, 2014, 10:30 AM
It works, I don't have lag problems, let alone 630's. And I don't have to pay for it. Seems alright in my book.

Gaylar
Jul 27, 2014, 11:17 AM
From what I've read on it:

Pros-
+ You can set it up to connect to a proxy server? (I guess this would allow multiple connections to the same AWS server if thats not already possible?) Could be used for private proxies as well I suppose (such as someone hosting connections on their machine). I'm no networking junkie.
+ Open-sourced
+ Its free

Cons (These don't exactly pertain to his software, moreso his public proxy):
- His proxy service is public. He's asking people not to hack. From what I understand, everyone is sharing the same IP address. Its like a ticking time bomb he's begging people not to set off and is hoping the community will address any hacking issues. In other words, from my understanding- all its going to take is the right asshole to get everyone using his public proxy banned.

- I'm not too keen on the rather... interesting data he's collecting. I won't say anything, I'll just say I don't necessarily agree with it. Then again, its probably nothing anyone hasnt seen before.

Other than that, I like the software, I'm curious as to what could be done with it, and how much it could potentially help people play.

What I would recommend steering clear from though, is his public proxy. Use AWS if you want to play.

*footnote: Take what I say with a grain of salt, I literally read all the shit related to his stuff in 15 minutes

Daiyousei
Jul 27, 2014, 12:56 PM
I saw that post a while ago and came to the same conclusion as all it takes is someone to ruin it for everyone else. So I'm sticking with AWS.

Besides, one thing I learned about life: Criminals don't follow laws

So why should you expect hackers to follow the rules.

Shinamori
Jul 27, 2014, 01:13 PM
This. What Dai said.

Triple_S
Jul 27, 2014, 01:21 PM
Basically, the software is good, but use his proxy server at your own risk.

However, others can set up proxy servers with that tool quite easily, so it might be worth it to spread it around so we have more options. I mean, the JP community already knows of it (and a couple less-knowledgeable people tried to claim it was the source of the DDOS), so Y'know.

jackfrosty
Jul 27, 2014, 01:46 PM
It's good that it's free, but is the same ip shared with many people if so if a hacker abuses it then everyone gets banned

GHNeko
Jul 27, 2014, 02:32 PM
Love the idea. But the server itself is very risky.

I'm more so hoping for a private server more than anything else.

EDIT: Besides, AWS gives me a dedicated JP IP. Why would I give that up now?

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 27, 2014, 04:00 PM
Love the idea. But the server itself is very risky.

I'm more so hoping for a private server more than anything else.

EDIT: Besides, AWS gives me a dedicated JP IP. Why would I give that up now?

With that in mind, how many of us would jump ship to a private server anyhow?

pkemr4
Jul 27, 2014, 04:24 PM
going to stick with AWS method because it just werks and i rarely get 630'd

also this

You *could* lose some rares.

terrible idea it is.

Dan Maku
Jul 27, 2014, 05:11 PM
Basically, the software is good, but use his proxy server at your own risk.

However, others can set up proxy servers with that tool quite easily, so it might be worth it to spread it around so we have more options. I mean, the JP community already knows of it (and a couple less-knowledgeable people tried to claim it was the source of the DDOS), so Y'know.

If others can use this to set up a proxy server of their own, someone should post instructions in how to do so. I have a friend who is a computer wiz who set up a modded Minecraft server among other things, so he could work wonders with this shit. :3

GHNeko
Jul 27, 2014, 06:25 PM

Depends on who makes one and how attractive they make it. I'm sure only banned players would come first. Them and maybe hopefuls.

Dan Maku
Jul 27, 2014, 06:29 PM

Why? You making one?

Chik'Tikka
Jul 27, 2014, 07:06 PM
I think it's a good idea, and as long as the host of the server doesn't do anything negative, SEGA should only ban accounts, or individual machines of malicious users as long as the majority of players behave+^_^+ otherwise half the libraries and net cafes would all be banned in Japan+^_^+

EDIT: at OP, could you link the reddit post itself as well?

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 27, 2014, 07:07 PM
My whole private server thing was just a question. I don't know enough to actually make one, sorry guys.
I play on the Ultima server for PSOBB, so I thought I'd ask because I like that one quite a bit.

metatime
Jul 27, 2014, 07:14 PM
My whole private server thing was just a question. I don't know enough to actually make one, sorry guys.
I play on the Ultima server for PSOBB, so I thought I'd ask because I like that one quite a bit.

PSO1 technology is over 10 yrs old and mostly client based so it's relatively easy to create compare to something that is mostly server based. That's why you won't find a PSU private server out there

Triple_S
Jul 27, 2014, 07:17 PM
If others can use this to set up a proxy server of their own, someone should post instructions in how to do so. I have a friend who is a computer wiz who set up a modded Minecraft server among other things, so he could work wonders with this shit. :3

https://github.com/cyberkitsune/PSO2Proxy

Scroll down.

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 27, 2014, 07:17 PM
PSO1 technology is over 10 yrs old and mostly client based so it's relatively easy to create compare to something that is mostly server based. That's why you won't find a PSU private server out there

I meant I like it because of how the server is run. I realize there won't be a PSU private server for a while, I just meant if, and this is a big if, someone created a private server, and it was good, would people switch to it?

Purely a hypothetical lol

Chik'Tikka
Jul 27, 2014, 07:27 PM
https://github.com/cyberkitsune/PSO2Proxy

Scroll down.

packets unencrypted, logged, and parsed? like all the packets? like the packets my username/password would be stored in? I think if this becomes a thing, I'll wait a few months to see if any accounts are mysteriously stolen/lost/banned+^_^+

CyberKitsune
Jul 27, 2014, 07:52 PM
packets unencrypted, logged, and parsed? like all the packets? like the packets my username/password would be stored in? I think if this becomes a thing, I'll wait a few months to see if any accounts are mysteriously stolen/lost/banned+^_^+

Right now packet logging is off on the public service and my logging service isn't up yet for this reason. I'm still working out the best way to NOT log login information while still collection packet structure data. It's rather difficult to figure out how to manage it all really well.

AIDA
Jul 27, 2014, 08:20 PM
I have 4 servers (might have to get a fifth soon) with this proxy on them for my team members who can't play - It works great :3

SLY_J
Aug 5, 2014, 05:34 PM
As always, sharing an IP with others—especially people you don't know—is always risky. That said, the PSO2Proxy program itself is amazing. I installed it on my Amazon EC2 server after my trail version of ProxyCap expired, and it has been an absolute dream.

Kairi_Li
Aug 5, 2014, 08:47 PM
As always, sharing an IP with others—especially people you don't know—is always risky. That said, the PSO2Proxy program itself is amazing. I installed it on my Amazon EC2 server after my trail version of ProxyCap expired, and it has been an absolute dream.

How exactly do you placed the Amazon EC2 server into the PSo2 proxy program? I am not quite sure what info goes to where.

JeckaD
Aug 5, 2014, 09:34 PM
How exactly do you placed the Amazon EC2 server into the PSo2 proxy program? I am not quite sure what info goes to where.

I would like to know that as well.

Skyly
Aug 5, 2014, 09:46 PM
What's the difference between AWS and softether or any other VPN service? Just a simple explanation would be nice.

Fufufu
Aug 5, 2014, 10:45 PM
AWS = Dedicated IP, not shared with anyone

softether and similar services you will be sharing an IP with any number of people.

AIDA
Aug 5, 2014, 11:05 PM
Not to mention SoftEther changes your MAC Address, causing various issues such as needing to re-authenticate via e-mail.

Numie
Aug 5, 2014, 11:09 PM
I will just say I would use AWS if I had a credit card to use for it.
PSO2Proxy is the best alternative I know, despite its potential shortcomings. Smooth like butter, it is.

GHNeko
Aug 5, 2014, 11:11 PM

Please reveal to me your secrets.

The Walrus
Aug 5, 2014, 11:12 PM
The link with instructions is on the previous page

Skyly
Aug 5, 2014, 11:25 PM
Would I gain anything by switching from softether to AWS?

Kairi_Li
Aug 5, 2014, 11:31 PM
The link with instructions is on the previous page

I have read this page : https://github.com/cyberkitsune/PSO2Proxy

But I am still not sure which info from the amazon web service info goes where exactly. :(

To be honest I am not quite sure what files to even open in the pso2 proxy zip you download from the site....

Some pictures would really help, I have no clue what to do.

GHNeko
Aug 5, 2014, 11:33 PM
I'm assuming Putty. I'm getting help right now so I'll chime back with info.

JeckaD
Aug 6, 2014, 02:25 PM
I'm assuming Putty. I'm getting help right now so I'll chime back with info.

Hope you tell us soon how is it~

Meena09
Aug 26, 2014, 07:41 PM
what is AWS and how can i get it i'm tired of getting 630'd at the most intense moments.

Sizustar
Aug 26, 2014, 07:52 PM
what is AWS and how can i get it i'm tired of getting 630'd at the most intense moments.

It's right on the front page, and there is a search function...

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299

GHNeko
Aug 26, 2014, 07:52 PM

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299

TwistedRiddles
Sep 3, 2014, 11:40 AM
So... inquiry. I was using AWS until today when my ProxyCap trial expired and I switched over to PSO2Proxy. If I found another way to connect (I haven't yet, short of paying for ProxyCap) and did so, and then in say 2 months, everyone using PSO2Proxy is banned, will I be included in that ban for having connected through it at some point? I am not sure how bans work when Sega does them. Like I don't know if they ban the IP or the accounts that have been associated with the IP or the accounts associated with the IP right now or what. Additionally, does anyone know a free replacement for ProxyCap if you are already using AWS?