PDA

View Full Version : Is PSO2 conected to other PS games?

jeremycards
Jul 28, 2014, 02:45 PM
So i was wondering... is PSO2 story in any way conected to the other PS games?. Because at first i tough it was a sequel of the original PSO (back when there weren't english patches), like, The Pionner 2 did the groundwork and now all the fleet of ships came to colonise. But now with the story patch and all, i realise there's not even a mention of Ragol or the Pionners or anything like that. I don't remember PSO's story all that well so i might be missing something, but as far as i can see there's no relation between the games, wich makes me kinda sad =(

Then when they started talking about many generations of the council of six and all, i really started wondering if those were references to previous games or something, so i have to ask... is PSO2 in the same universe as ANY of the other games? or is it completely standalone?

untrustful
Jul 28, 2014, 02:49 PM
Nope. The one guy was deciding to call this either psu2 or pso2 and decided with pso2. Maybe we'll get something story wise that connects in the future, but for now it's item and name references.

But it's obviously related to episode 3. I mean, Arks found the corruption of the cards, and used the heart of the cards to destroy the germ. Then everyone likes them so much they decide to colonize ragol and then 10k years later we have a fleet. I mean it's so obvious.

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 28, 2014, 02:50 PM
As it stands, PSO2 is a separate timeline from the other games. Although, there is a thread on here that talks about the storyline of everything... let me find it...

Edit: here it is: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207203&highlight=almighty

Shadowth117
Jul 28, 2014, 03:02 PM
As it stands, PSO2 is a separate timeline from the other games. Although, there is a thread on here that talks about the storyline of everything... let me find it...

Edit: here it is: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207203&highlight=almighty

I think actually it was classified as a separate universe rather than a separate timeline for clarity's sake.

However PSU and PSO were considered similarly comparable and still had a direct crossover in PSP2I through some trans-dimensional occurrence or whatever. So its still pretty possible for them to link this game to those later.

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 28, 2014, 03:10 PM
I think actually it was classified as a separate universe rather than a separate timeline for clarity's sake.

However PSU and PSO were considered similarly comparable and still had a direct crossover in PSP2I through some trans-dimensional occurrence or whatever. So its still pretty possible for them to link this game to those later.

Considering you're a freaking time traveler in PSO2 and there's the subspace stuff in PSP2i, I can see it link sometime

Daiyousei
Jul 28, 2014, 03:11 PM
I now direct you all to this thread

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219132

They could have retconned it without telling anyone, but yes they have confirmed in one of their earlier streams that PSO2 takes place in the same universe as PSO1 some time after PSO1 in reply to a fan asking whether or not it was.

It's completely plausible that we could go back to Ragol, but it wouldn't be the exact same one seen in PSO1. A good amount of time will have passed. I mean, that wouldn't necessarily stop them from having it look exactly the same because nostalgia but you know.

Stealthcmc1974
Jul 28, 2014, 03:13 PM
I now direct you all to this thread

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219132

Thanks for that.

the_importer_
Jul 28, 2014, 03:45 PM
I remember in one of the cut scenes where Afin states that long ago, it wasn't possible to change your class like they do today, perhaps hinting at the way it use to be in PSO.

Shadowth117
Jul 28, 2014, 08:58 PM
I remember in one of the cut scenes where Afin states that long ago, it wasn't possible to change your class like they do today, perhaps hinting at the way it use to be in PSO.

There are actually a lot of neat references to things like that hidden about the story, but it was also stated somewhere, which I'll be damned if I could find now, by Sakai I believe early on in PSO2's life that neither PSO or PSU were connected to PSO2.

Still, it would have been really cool if they had done something that linked maybe PSU -> PSO -> PSO2. At the very least, the multiple Falz vessels and the quest names relating to Elder at least imply we might get to see Profound Darkness which hasn't actually been in any PSO series games.

jeremycards
Jul 28, 2014, 09:08 PM
well i would flip out if suddenly a ship shows up with Chaz and Rika on it :P but i guess that's dreaming too much.

BIG OLAF
Jul 28, 2014, 09:16 PM
All Phantasy Star games are connected through Dark Falz, as his/its story never changes.

At the dawn of the universe, the Creator, a powerful entity, split itself into two opposite, but equal, beings, to see which of them would win dominion over the cosmos and all of creation. A Light so Great, and a Darkness most Profound.

After untold eons, The Great Light defeated The Profound Darkness, and, out of fear of it resurrecting itself, it placed a seal over its prison. This seal was in the form of three planets, revolving around one star: The Algo System, made of the planets Motavia (MUUT), Dezolis (DITTS), and Parma (POUMN).

However, once every thousand years, when the Algolian Seal is at its weakest, the rage and animosity of The Profound Darkness can partially pass through the portal, in the form of a Dark Force (Dark Falz), wreaking terror upon the children of The Great Light.

etc. etc.

Anyway, point is, "timelines" and such may be different, but the overarching 'Creation Lore' of the Phantasy Star universe is still the same (or, at least HEAVILY implied to be the same), which means all the games and stories are linked in that way, at least.

gigawuts
Jul 28, 2014, 09:33 PM
Nope. The one guy was deciding to call this either psu2 or pso2 and decided with pso2. Maybe we'll get something story wise that connects in the future, but for now it's item and name references.

But it's obviously related to episode 3. I mean, Arks found the corruption of the cards, and used the heart of the cards to destroy the germ. Then everyone likes them so much they decide to colonize ragol and then 10k years later we have a fleet. I mean it's so obvious.

1. It's been confirmed that ARKS and ARKZ are not even slightly related in one of the streams. The only similarities are the three letters A, R, and K.

2. The PSO2 vs. PSU2 naming thing was in the earliest stages. Like, when making a game Step #1 is "Should we make a new game or not?" and Step #2 is "What should it be?" That was Step #2. They needed to decide which would sell better: A sequel to PSO or a sequel to PSU. They chose PSO. That tidbit about choosing the name has nothing to do with whether or not the stories are related. Writers can completely arbitrarily say anything is related to anything because it's all goddamn made up.

And, as said earlier, in an early stream they confirmed that PSO2 takes place in the same universe as PSO1, some amount of time later, but is otherwise completely unrelated. We're talking about a link like Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire has to Pokemon Red & Blue - same universe, some time has passed, but zero real connection.

However, they may have changed their minds about that. I haven't heard them say anything regarding a connection since, and since that was still very soon after the game's release (I think it was like the second or third stream?) they could have decided to cut ties after fleshing out more of the story. It may have also just been a mistaken reply.

I would go with whatever info is most recent, if there's any at all.