PDA

View Full Version : OTP and system updates

2128drain
Jul 30, 2014, 07:34 AM
So, I can't quite recall how SecureOTP works with generating its codes, but the Square Enix authenticator works off Android's system fingerprint..which changes when you do an OS update. Has anyone done a system update and not removed their OTP before doing so? Was it fine after?

Also if not, I assume removing OTP just sets your OTP storage to "withdraw only" mode like when premium expires, right? I think I only have crafting mats and camos in there, but better safe than sorry.

Lyrise
Jul 30, 2014, 08:31 AM
SecureOTP generates its codes based off the serial number that Sega provided you for the OTP service. So even a system update will not change this because whether you realize it or not, you also created an account for the SecureOTP service for that particular serial. This is why if you ever needed to install SecureOTP on another device and don't have the serial number, its ok as long as you can provide the user name and password binded to that serial number.

Disabling OTP on your account will indeed set the storage to withdraw only.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 30, 2014, 08:59 AM
The last time I upgraded my phone, I was able to simply recover my SecureOTP account with my username and password. I did have to try several times before it actually worked, for some reason, but as long as you remember your user information it shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the Blizzard or Square Enix authenticators where you have to disable the OTP completely before upgrading devices.

2128drain
Jul 30, 2014, 09:09 AM
Hrm, I added the damn thing so long ago I don't even remember a separate username and password for it. I forgot that was even a thing, to be honest. Guess I should remove it from my account and set it up again from scratch.

Cheers!

GHNeko
Jul 30, 2014, 09:44 AM
I wonder how the OTP Token device will work...