PDA

View Full Version : Need quick help about Tweaker

Cryphoenix
Jul 30, 2014, 08:47 AM
Hey all,
Whenever there is an update (Current one is 20MB), it also downloads japanese story patch. 20MB patch becomes 3GB. Is there anyway to fix this? Or i have to download JP story patch whenever there is an update?
Thanks.

Kondibon
Jul 30, 2014, 08:59 AM
If you mean it's replacing the entire patches with the normal files make sure you back them up and restore the backups before updating so it doesn't have to download stuff again.

Cryphoenix
Jul 30, 2014, 09:59 AM
Hey, i restored the english story patch, but it still downloads like 3800 items. Which is like 3GB..

ShinKai
Jul 30, 2014, 01:24 PM
I don't think this is about restoring the english story patch Cryph.

In order to know what files to update, the tweaker needs the game to have it's original japanese files. When you back up your story patch and other patches, you aren't making a copy of the english story patch. What you are doing is making a copy of the JAPANESE files the story patch is replacing, so the tweaker can easily drop those files back into place when updating so the program knows that you don't need those files in order to be up to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it goes. If you don't have a copy of those japanese files the english patch replaces, you're looking at a good 3 - 4 gig update every week.

HeyItsTHK
Jul 30, 2014, 02:28 PM
I was about to make a thread about this as well. I back up all patches, why is a 20MB update getting 3 gigs worth of files?

Chigun
Jul 30, 2014, 02:30 PM
. What you are doing is making a copy of the JAPANESE files the story patch is replacing, so the tweaker can easily drop those files back into place when updating...

If this is the case, which I don't doubt, why does the option to uninstall the story patch require a multi-GB download?

Not that I have an issue with that anymore, I have in the past.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 30, 2014, 02:52 PM
This happened to me once, turned out I actually didn't make a backup of my STORY files, even though I had backed up my data from the EN and large files patches. If it can't restore your original story files, it has to re-download all of them. All 3+ GB of them.

When you went to update PSO2, was it able to restore ALL of your backups?

Chigun
Jul 30, 2014, 04:24 PM
Looks like I'm having this problem, too. And I said YES when it asked me about backing up the story patch. Every single time. This is vexing. Where on the computer do these files get backed up to? Maybe I can manually restore them, I dunno...

Edit: To anyone curious it's in the pso2_bin/data/win32/backupPreSTORYPatch on my Windows Vista PC. I found an older backup on my external harddrive and plopped them on my main. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Maronji
Jul 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
Out of curiosity, did any of you guys experiencing issues restore your backups before updating? I ask because the Tweaker's supposedly supposed to restore them automatically before updating, but it never seems like it works as intended, as previous posts have indicated.

I just updated my game, having restored my patch backups using the Restore Backup functions prior, and I didn't have to download more than 20 files (1.64MB). I'm beginning to suspect that

Cryphoenix
Jul 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
I did backup whenever it asked me. Every new english patch, large patch, story patch i made a backup of it. It keeps saying backup is in pso2_bin/data/win32/backupPreSTORYPatch but there is nothing named backupPrexxx.. I think tweaker thinks it takes backup but it actually isnt?

I deleted game and tweaker, reinstalled PSO2 and tweaker, made patches from PSO2launcher but when i opened tweaker for first time, it showed that i installed english patches already (Story patch too). I think something wrong with tweaker or i am messing up somethings badly.

Right now i can login game fine but tweaker keeps telling me there is a PSO2 update. If i okay it, i believe it will download 3GBs again. So i don't know what to do really.

DJcooltrainer
Jul 31, 2014, 08:57 AM
Decline updates for now and do a file check in the tweaker, imo. I was able to update on both my PC's and my laptop and only had to download about 20mb of files.

undead098
Jul 31, 2014, 10:11 AM
my tips...

1. whenever there are pso2 update notification appear on tweaker. always choose NO (don't update)
2. immediately restore en backup, largefile backup, and story backup. (if one of these fails, then it's your fault for not using the great backup feature)
3. restart tweaker, and pso2 update notification reappear. now choose YES (update it now.
wait... until... finished...
4. always check files/check pso2 updates after all of these... sometimes tweaker fail to download some files...
5. play it once. no problem? quit and then install en, largefiles, and story patch now if compatible.

another tips... always enable backup feature in tweaker option. (backup preference > always backup)

i noticed that if you fail step 1 above, tweaker automatically removed any backup folder. so fail step 1 and 2, prepare your bandwidth.

a bit hassle.... but these steps saves many of my teammates while updating.
i don't know why. it seems tweaker not restoring backup first when updating pso2, but instead downloading original files, then updating pso2. (i don't know if this is fixed already or not or it is working as intended)

AIDA
Jul 31, 2014, 12:52 PM
I don't think this is about restoring the english story patch Cryph.

In order to know what files to update, the tweaker needs the game to have it's original japanese files. When you back up your story patch and other patches, you aren't making a copy of the english story patch. What you are doing is making a copy of the JAPANESE files the story patch is replacing, so the tweaker can easily drop those files back into place when updating so the program knows that you don't need those files in order to be up to date.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it goes. If you don't have a copy of those japanese files the english patch replaces, you're looking at a good 3 - 4 gig update every week.

Correct!

Looks like I'm having this problem, too. And I said YES when it asked me about backing up the story patch. Every single time. This is vexing. Where on the computer do these files get backed up to? Maybe I can manually restore them, I dunno...

Edit: To anyone curious it's in the pso2_bin/data/win32/backupPreSTORYPatch on my Windows Vista PC. I found an older backup on my external harddrive and plopped them on my main. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

It also tells you where it backs up the files every time it does so. Where is your PSO2 installed, it may not have write capabilites.

Out of curiosity, did any of you guys experiencing issues restore your backups before updating? I ask because the Tweaker's supposedly supposed to restore them automatically before updating, but it never seems like it works as intended, as previous posts have indicated.

I just updated my game, having restored my patch backups using the Restore Backup functions prior, and I didn't have to download more than 20 files (1.64MB). I'm beginning to suspect that

It worked on all three of my computers I updated the other day. It'll say if it does restore them "Story backup found! Restoring..."

*high-fives*

I did backup whenever it asked me. Every new english patch, large patch, story patch i made a backup of it. It keeps saying backup is in pso2_bin/data/win32/backupPreSTORYPatch but there is nothing named backupPrexxx.. I think tweaker thinks it takes backup but it actually isnt?

I deleted game and tweaker, reinstalled PSO2 and tweaker, made patches from PSO2launcher but when i opened tweaker for first time, it showed that i installed english patches already (Story patch too). I think something wrong with tweaker or i am messing up somethings badly.

Right now i can login game fine but tweaker keeps telling me there is a PSO2 update. If i okay it, i believe it will download 3GBs again. So i don't know what to do really.

If you delete/modify the files outside of the Tweaker, it doesn't know that. Go into Options -> and set the patches to whatever you did (Not installed, latest version, etc)

If you update outside of the Tweaker, go to options and click "PSO2 Version override" to stop it from prompting you (until the next update).

my tips...

1. whenever there are pso2 update notification appear on tweaker. always choose NO (don't update)
2. immediately restore en backup, largefile backup, and story backup. (if one of these fails, then it's your fault for not using the great backup feature)
3. restart tweaker, and pso2 update notification reappear. now choose YES (update it now.
wait... until... finished...
4. always check files/check pso2 updates after all of these... sometimes tweaker fail to download some files...
5. play it once. no problem? quit and then install en, largefiles, and story patch now if compatible.

another tips... always enable backup feature in tweaker option. (backup preference > always backup)

i noticed that if you fail step 1 above, tweaker automatically removed any backup folder. so fail step 1 and 2, prepare your bandwidth.

a bit hassle.... but these steps saves many of my teammates while updating.
i don't know why. it seems tweaker not restoring backup first when updating pso2, but instead downloading original files, then updating pso2. (i don't know if this is fixed already or not or it is working as intended)

This is the first I'm hearing of this - How many people have the Tweaker NOT do "xxxx backup found! Restoring!" upon doing an update?

HeyItsTHK
Jul 31, 2014, 04:41 PM
Come to think of it I've never seen that message either.

AIDA
Jul 31, 2014, 07:56 PM
The message should look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jGXeUpF.jpg

Cryphoenix
Aug 1, 2014, 07:38 AM
I also dont see this message. Maybe is it because i installed game to D instead C?

AIDA
Aug 1, 2014, 09:26 AM
I also dont see this message. Maybe is it because i installed game to D instead C?

I have it installed on E:\ on this computer, and it works fine. So you've never, ever, seen that message? =/

Cryphoenix
Aug 1, 2014, 05:14 PM
I have it installed on E:\ on this computer, and it works fine. So you've never, ever, seen that message? =/

I don't remember before. But i paid attention to tweaker this week and no, i didnt see it. Do i have to see it everytime i start tweaker? Or only once after update or something? Sorry for alot trouble. Most things fixed, thank you about that btw. :)

undead098
Aug 1, 2014, 05:34 PM
This is the first I'm hearing of this - How many people have the Tweaker NOT do "xxxx backup found! Restoring!" upon doing an update?

it is happening to me at my (and my friends) few updates before... instead of restoring, it is redownloading. (and this is the reason some of my friend stopped playing. they don't have luxury of unlimited bandwidth)
dunno if this was fixed already (or something wrong with me) but i prefer doing this safely as possible. so i always say no to update > restore everything manually via orb menu > then resume update pso2. everything via tweaker.