PDA

View Full Version : 3D printing?

apsalari
Aug 5, 2014, 12:00 PM
Has anyone had any luck at extracting the 3d models and printing up little toys of their character for personal use.

Oh wow, personal use sounds so wrong in the above context. I just want to print out a copy of my character. I don't need her to have the right paint scheme, as I can do that myself, I just want to add her to the shelf with all of my other anime statues.

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like posting publicly.

jackfrosty
Aug 5, 2014, 08:57 PM
this sounds intriguing, but how are you going to paint the model do you have experience in that

TaigaUC
Aug 5, 2014, 09:00 PM
3d printed models need to be set up a certain way because of how 3d printers print from the bottom up. I think you also need to have certain topology.
I haven't done it myself yet, but I know some people who have done 3d printing.

So... I don't think you can just extract the models and print them.
They aren't very high polygon or detailed either.
You'd be better off making your own 3d model.

jackfrosty
Aug 5, 2014, 09:05 PM
3d printed models need to be set up a certain way because of how 3d printers print from the bottom up. I think you also need to have certain topology.
I haven't done it myself yet, but I know some people who have done 3d printing.

So... I don't think you can just extract the models and print them.
They aren't very high polygon or detailed either.
You'd be better off making your own 3d model.

I agree, i have artistic talents but don't no experience in 3D modelling, need to learn but gonna be so difficult to get good i bet :-?

Shadowth117
Aug 5, 2014, 09:11 PM
I think it was ninjaripper that I used a while back to get dump models from this game while it was running. I got my char to come out T-posed and all, but it seemed like the physique got reset to default albeit with their accessories, clothing, and hair all there. But that method involved directly starting pso2.exe with the -pso2 command which doesn't work now and the other command that's used for starting pso2 directly now doesn't work with the ripper.

You can probably extract the individual parts directly from the game's ICE files if you have the tools (I can post them if people want them) and the patience to find the files that contain what you want complete with rigging. And of course with this method you have to again redo the physique. The tool that does it also uses a very old importer that doesn't seem to work with all of the models in the game. ie Falz Elder for instance

As far as printing goes I haven't ever really looked into it and as jackfrosty mentioned, painting them sounds like a pain.

TaigaUC
Aug 5, 2014, 09:11 PM
3d modeling is just another of those things that you get better at the more you do it.
And like most things, it's mostly difficult when you start, not so much after.
There are lots of tutorials on the net nowadays.
One thing to keep in mind is that some people who can't draw are still able to make 3d models.

Oh, and regarding ripping the models... I've extracted and looked at the models using Noesis.
I don't think you can extract them with the morphs, so you'd still have to reshape them yourself.
If I recall correctly, you can export from Noesis to FBX format, which can then be imported into most 3d software.

jackfrosty
Aug 5, 2014, 09:16 PM
3d modeling is just another of those things that you get better at the more you do it.
And like most things, it's mostly difficult when you start, not so much after.
There are lots of tutorials on the net nowadays.
One thing to keep in mind is that some people who can't draw are still able to make 3d models.

Oh, and regarding ripping the models... I've extracted and looked at the models using Noesis.
I don't think you can extract them with the morphs, so you'd still have to reshape them yourself.
If I recall correctly, you can export from Noesis to FBX format, which can then be imported into most 3d software.

hmm you guys inspired me to learn 3D modelling lol if i ever bother to learn and get good i'll return here to this forum and post my PSO creations for you guys to see, would post my deviant account but too embarassed :blush:

TaigaUC
Aug 5, 2014, 09:31 PM
Good luck. It's always good to at least try.
I recommend looking up models by other people, such as ripped models from games, or freely distributed models like the ones used in MikuMikuDance.
They're good reference. Just keep in mind that models for games are optimized for realtime rendering, whereas models for MMD are for pre-rendered footage (ie. more heavily detailed).

If you're looking for free 3d software, Blender seems to be very popular nowadays.
Should be easy to find some nice tutorials on YouTube, Vimeo or via Google.

infiniteeverlasting
Aug 5, 2014, 10:47 PM
go traditional.
skill comes with practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwjlIWCL1o&feature=youtu.be&list=PLCF4753EB804B8AAA

Gama
Aug 5, 2014, 11:54 PM
i could make pso2 3d models, i could do some weapons if someone is interested.

characters not so much since. my skillset with 3d has nothing to do with character design.

maybe the default humar sword as a keychain thing? i dunno. i mostly use industrial design 3d apps, but i can convert said models to stl, wich can be read by any 3d app.

edit:

Example. this is pretty simple took me 5 minutes.

[SPOILER-BOX]https://copy.com/rL8HI94vv8nj[/SPOILER-BOX]

Angry_Ryudo
Aug 6, 2014, 03:16 AM
You can't print a just extracted pso2 model. It has open geometry, completely flat parts, etc. It would need adjustments, like completely remake the hair, you can't print a part that is made with opacity maps.

TaigaUC
Aug 6, 2014, 03:26 AM
That's what I thought. Transparent images/billboards wouldn't work, you'd have to change the hair into actual geometry.

Edson Drake
Aug 6, 2014, 03:46 AM
If you want to make 3D models of your characters, you'd have to make them bald, them use another source(fake hair/plastic furs) for the hairstyle, kind of like the plastic industries make dolls, by individual parts. Full-sized could work, but would need to naked/bald depending on costume, style, etc.

Gama
Aug 6, 2014, 04:05 AM
Or he could make a "solid" hair like they do in anime dolls that have resin hair.

HIT0SHI
Aug 6, 2014, 06:51 AM
Wow, I can make models as well (In Maya atm) but that was pretty fast! Models aren't that much of an issue, but its always the UV Maps that gets me. Usually it takes me about 30 mins or so depending on the complexity of the model.

Anyway as said in the previous posts, you're better off making your own by the looks of things.

Achelousaurus
Aug 6, 2014, 10:52 AM
TC, just wait for the figma :V

apsalari
Aug 6, 2014, 11:53 AM
Sadly the cool part of PSO2 will make the extraction and printing the hard/annoying part. And by that I mean that the highly personalizable characters.

Any map will just be a very basic one with lots of adjusting to be done. I'm actually thinking that the best way to make a model of my character is to spin the camera around her while taking lots of screen shots. Then import it into one of the picture to model programs.

As to how I'd paint them, very low tech. I currently build and paint models and wargame miniatures. Nothing wrong with the paint brush method :-)

Gama
Aug 6, 2014, 12:22 PM
that would work too, sometimes when modeling an object from pictures ill do that.

last time i did that, it was a robot frame.