PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Interested in a Story Patch with English Dub?

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 08:57 PM
So I know this is a touchy subject with the whole Sub vs. Dub debate on a lot of anime and such, and I'm also not knowledgeable about how the whole method of modifying this game works so spare me those replies, but I was thinking, would anyone be interested in this? If it was feasible to add another download to add English voice acting to the story patch (like how the story, large files, and main patch are separated already) who would use this and who wouldn't? Furthermore, who would be interested in recording these lines?

Now now, I'm not saying this should be done. I have no preference for sub or dub. But English voice acting imo is one OPTIONAL way to enhance the English patch. After all, the patch is our psuedo-western version of the game in a way.

Again, forgive me, I'm not knowledgeable on how we'd actually get English dub VA over the current vocals, I'm just looking for a discussion here. ^^;

Skyly
Aug 5, 2014, 09:04 PM
Most of these anime freaks would hate an english dub. I never really understood the whole voice acting thing people so often complain about but I guarantee they would

Edson Drake
Aug 5, 2014, 09:04 PM
Dubs can either make or break the story.

I think the Japanese voice actors do a general good job at the moment, so I don't feel I need english dub at all.

Also, the size of the english dub patch would be a monster.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:06 PM
Most of these anime freaks would hate an english dub. I never really understood the whole voice acting thing people so often complain about but I guarantee they would

That's why I made "OPTIONAL" all capital letters and pointed out it could be a download separate from the other patches. That way the die hard anime fans can enjoy the game with the JP VA's (which do a pretty good job). I just think having options is nice, I don't want this forced on anyone.

Dubs can either make or break the story.

Good points. Firstly, I'm sure there's some people out on the forums who could pull this off. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but we've seen some talent on this site, especially in that fan works section. I don't think its too hard to imagine there would be people with decent VA ability here too.

As to the second point, I'd release that in packs (patch per motherboard maybe?), and since the patch team can now put out small updates frequently, perhaps they could also do this when they caught up with the story?

jackfrosty
Aug 5, 2014, 09:08 PM
where would you get the voice actors and who would do it for free, i myself wouldn't use it but if people want to do it for free more power to them!

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:12 PM
AIDA already asked. We shrugged and said "eh".

There's so much audio dialogue in the game I don't think it would be worth it considering that the english patches already still have a bit of catching up to do. It's been mentioned that a lot of the translations don't flow well when actually spoken. Then there's the fact that some of the audio has to be a certain length to match the audio currently in the game or else it might overlap. There's just too many problems for it to be plausable.

untrustful
Aug 5, 2014, 09:12 PM
Afin [Joe Pesci Voice]: Hey partner let's take care of this area.
Operator [Christopher Walken Voice]: Warning d-arkers are approaching.
Afin: D-arkers? Oh no not here...
Zeno [Robin Williams Voice]: I'll handle this!
Echo [Sarah Silverman Voice]: You're such a showoff...

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:13 PM
where would you get the voice actors and who would do it for free, i myself wouldn't use it but if people want to do it for free more power to them!

*points at PSO-World*
The Story Patch team, last I checked, asked on here for translators to help them out. Same could be done for VAs. I myself would do it for free, but I'm in the process of getting a better mic setup.
Edit: Ninja'd on my own thread, lol

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:15 PM
*points at PSO-World*
The Story Patch team, last I checked, asked on here for translators to help them out. Same could be done for VAs. I myself would do it for free, but I'm in the process of getting a better mic setup.
I doubt they could find enough skillful VAs, who don't care about being payed, have the equipment, and want to do as much voice acting as needed for a project of this scale on PSO-w.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:21 PM
I doubt they could find enough skillful VAs, who don't care about being payed, have the equipment, and want to do as much voice acting as needed for a project of this scale on PSO-w.

You're probably right. Although what I was looking for wasn't too expensive. Just a Blue Snowball mic and a pop filter.
They'd probably have to ask around more than just PSO-W.
Then again, I'm a crazy person when it comes to working on projects. I take the saying, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing," to heart. I doubt there are many like me here on PSO-W though :wacko:

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:24 PM
You're probably right. Although what I was looking for wasn't too expensive. Just a Blue Snowball mic and a pop filter.
They'd probably have to ask around more than just PSO-W.
Then again, I'm a crazy person when it comes to working on projects. I take the saying, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing," to heart. I doubt there are many like me here on PSO-W though :wacko:Well if it's worth doing, it's also worth finishing. Besides, I wouldn't really call a budget dub overdoing it. :/

HeyItsTHK
Aug 5, 2014, 09:27 PM
No real point imo.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:28 PM
Well if it's worth doing, it's also worth finishing. Besides, I wouldn't really call a budget dub overdoing it. :/

I didn't mean money, I meant effort. Like, I'd record lines all day, you know along those lines.

Looking back, I guess I should have made that post a bit clearer ^^;

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:30 PM
I didn't mean money, I meant effort. Like, I'd record lines all day, you know along those lines.

Looking back, I guess I should have made that post a bit clearer ^^;I didn't mean the voice actors. I meant that they'd have to shirk on a lot of the other stuff I mentioned even IF they managed to get people who could do consistant good voice acting, which would make the dub sound bad anyway.

Maronji
Aug 5, 2014, 09:32 PM

Seconding this.

Also, I'd honestly put priority on having someone run through a full translation/quality check on the story script before even thinking about this, AKA absolutely finalizing the story script. You wouldn't want to record voices for lines that read awkwardly, contain typos, or contain translation or consistency errors. You also wouldn't want to have to re-record a line because someone missed an error in the script somewhere. That wouldn't be fun for anyone.

EDIT:
This is just conjecture, so take this with a grain of salt, but doesn't the (manual) Story Patch contain much of the voiced audio in the first place? Unless the person putting the dub patch together doesn't compress the audio well, I can't imagine that it'd be much bigger than the Story Patch, though you're probably right anyway. It'd be hell on those with low bandwidth caps since it'd probably be provided separately.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Gardios
Aug 5, 2014, 09:35 PM
The script would need to be rewritten anyway—the way it is right now, it's not really suitable for voice over.

EDIT: What Maronji said, pretty much.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:36 PM
The script would need to be rewritten anyway—the way it is right now, it's not really suitable for voice over.

There it is. You're the one who said it before. I agree of course.

Gama
Aug 5, 2014, 09:39 PM
To put it simply, it would over-task the arks layer team, they already have allot on their hands, so in my opinion its a bad idea.

Would it be a nice feature? yes if the dubs where made well. which is why i usually dislike dubs.

they usually sound weird and do not mach the characters.

id rather have the current arks layer focusing on the English pach/story pach, then having another thing to worry about.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:41 PM
Also, I'd honestly put priority on having someone run through a full translation/quality check on the story script before even thinking about this, AKA absolutely finalizing the story script. You wouldn't want to record voices for lines that read awkwardly, contain typos, or contain translation or consistency errors. You also wouldn't want to have to re-record a line because someone missed an error in the script somewhere. That wouldn't be fun for anyone.

I didn't mean the voice actors. I meant that they'd have to shirk on a lot of the other stuff I mentioned even IF they managed to get people who could do consistant good voice acting, which would make the dub sound bad anyway.

Yeah. They'd have to get more team members just to finalize the English translations, some to handle the VA stuff, and then the VAs themselves. Hell, they'd probably have to double or triple the team size just to have this, perhaps more (as I have no idea how big the current team actually is). Also, the only remotely feasable way to do this, imo, is to do it in small chunks, because to just come out with one massive patch... holy mother of god that'd be so much work people would probably commit themselves to an insane asylumn after... :-o

EDIT: This thread is merely for discussion. You aren't dashing my dreams in any way here, so fire away with whatever your opinion is. The only dream I have atm is that PSO2 X MGR collab i came up with on that collab thread.
As far as this dub goes, yay if we could do it, no biggie if we can't.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:46 PM
Would it be a nice feature? yes if the dubs where made well. which is why i usually dislike dubs.

they usually sound weird and do not mach the characters.
It's not even that the voice choices are bad most of the time, it's just that the state of dubing something has so many things to think about besides translation that it ends up being bad anyway. One of those things being lip synching. I personally thing most dubs for games that don't do proper lip synching in the first place or that don't focus on the characters faces enough for you to notice are fine most of the time.

Finding good people in such a small community though? Probably not...

EDIT: This thread is merely for discussion. You aren't dashing my dreams in any way here, so fire away with whatever your opinion is. The only dream I have atm is that PSO2 X MGR collab i came up with on that collab thread.
As far as this dub goes, yay if we could do it, no biggie if we can't.
I still want my rwby colab just for the weapons, so I know that feel.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:49 PM
I still want my rwby colab just for the weapons, so I know that feel.

Mopping up darkers with Crescent Rose? Hell yes.

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:52 PM
Mopping up darkers with Crescent Rose? Hell yes.I spent hours at once point thinking about what weapons they'd all be camos for. Cause Sega has already proven they can make camos with multiple models and for multiple weapon types. Hell I'd be happy with more camos like the ones with got with the most recent scratch. I love transforming weapons.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 09:56 PM
I spent hours at once point thinking about what weapons they'd all be camos for. Cause Sega has already proven they can make camos with multiple models and for multiple weapon types. Hell I'd be happy with more camos like the ones with got with the most recent scratch. I love transforming weapons.

Who doesn't like transforming weapons? ^^

Laxedrane
Aug 5, 2014, 09:58 PM
Personally I am in the camp that I rather get the story translated faster then Aida and the team having another layer of crap they need to do every time a story patch come out.(Which been fairly consistent.)

I do, however, think it be cool if they did it for Shop keepers, announcers/handlers, and maybe, maybe characters called to fight. Beyond that I be ok with never having it at all

Kondibon
Aug 5, 2014, 09:59 PM
I wouldn't mind just character voices, if only because it would be REALLY funny.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM
I do, however, think it be cool if they did it for Shop keepers, announcers/handlers, and maybe, maybe characters called to fight. Beyond that I be ok with never having it at all

It'd certainly be a place to start, that's for sure.

EDIT: If they did this for characters that can join your party... jeez, I wonder what Matoi would sound like in English since we'll bet her partner card in Ep. 3

jeremycards
Aug 5, 2014, 10:21 PM
Not me, i love the japanese voices, im ok with just text translation. Also, nobody can beat Lisa's voice in jap.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 10:27 PM
Not me, i love the japanese voices, im ok with just text translation. Also, nobody can beat Lisa's voice in jap.

My belief: if the VA is good, I don't care if its english or japanese. A good VA is a good VA. But you're right. We'd need a grade A VA to even have a chance of getting an equally good English Lisa.

If only I had Jennifer Hale on speed dial...:-P

ShinKai
Aug 5, 2014, 10:50 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use it.

I am very grateful for the English story patch, however I feel the story the patch is patching, is terrible. And adding a dub to it, will only highlight (to me anyway) how terrible the story really is when it's spoken aloud in a language I can understand. It's kinda of like how silly old jrpgs sound when narrated, but didn't sound that way when played the first time, because the text is being read, and not spoken.

Though for shopkeepers and stuff, I'd be all for. Especially changing Monica's voice to something that isn't an annoying shrill every time she fails even the most mundane things, or Dudu's to something a tad less condescending, as they're usually the ones I have to talk to a lot.

Numie
Aug 5, 2014, 10:55 PM
I am all for a dub patch if that means I get to voice Reda.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 10:56 PM
I am all for a dub patch if that means I get to voice Reda.

Now that I think about it, the English Dub may make him less annoying. Huh.

infiniteeverlasting
Aug 5, 2014, 10:57 PM
it's impossible to find someone with a voice suitable for klotho here in the west.

Numie
Aug 5, 2014, 10:57 PM
Now that I think about it, the English Dub may make him less annoying. Huh.
That was not the plan.

Gama
Aug 5, 2014, 10:58 PM
i would like the "code" voice to be something less exagerated. i freaking hate the voice.

minute 8:25~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkL-Tze4eQ8

isnt this better?

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 10:59 PM
i would like the "code" voice to be something less exagerated. i freaking hate the voice.

minute 8:25~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkL-Tze4eQ8

isnt this better?

Holy crap! Why did they get rid of this?!

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 11:00 PM
That was not the plan.

Holy mother of god...

Numie
Aug 5, 2014, 11:07 PM
Holy crap! Why did they get rid of this?!
Yeah, a lot of stuff from the Alpha just felt better. I personally miss having my health at the top left, and the old lobby, while small, felt like it covered everything necessary. Honestly feel that the final lobby has a lot of wasted space.

Smithee
Aug 5, 2014, 11:56 PM
We have alot of skilled voice actors and people with amazing voices that play PSO2. Most of them would probably do it for free on their downtime. I'd love to see this personnaly I'd even contribute if it came down to it.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 5, 2014, 11:59 PM
We have alot of skilled voice actors and people with amazing voices that play PSO2. Most of them would probably do it for free on their downtime. I'd love to see this personnaly I'd even contribute if it came down to it.

Considering there's plenty of skeptics, who are these people? It just sounds too good to be true.

landman
Aug 6, 2014, 02:57 AM
I would provably never install a fandub on the game, but put it on youtube, and... maybe.

Darki
Aug 6, 2014, 03:22 AM
I'd be thorn between the fact that I really hate like 80% of the original voices, and I'm really afraid of how much worse it can get when dubbed. As Landman said, put it on youtube and I'd maybe use it if you rid me properly of those squealing chibi voices that irk me so much.

Smithee
Aug 6, 2014, 08:47 AM
Considering there's plenty of skeptics, who are these people? It just sounds too good to be true.

Ray(Xdragonwolf), Cyrus, Kii, just to name a few. I can't speak for them myself but I can gurantee they have talent.

Stealthcmc1974
Aug 6, 2014, 08:51 AM
Ray(Xdragonwolf), Cyrus, Kii, just to name a few. I can't speak for them myself but I can gurantee they have talent.

Huh. Well hopefully they show up on this thread then.
In any event, if PSO2 ever does get an official western release, who would you want to voice who? (I really think Jennifer Hale could pull off being Lisa myself).