PDA

View Full Version : First impressions.

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 04:21 AM
I'm a bit late to party to be sure. My first impression when playing with the JP version with all the English patches was..."there's too much Nipponese in this Nippon game". I think dipping my toes in the english SEA side of the water may have spoiled me somewhat but even without that bias it was a lot of moonrunes to gloss over during my initial play. I moved forward and did a mission or two and while there were patches of english I recognized between one place and another from the SEA version I found myself wondering what the hell I was glossing past text wise most the time.

Even if I was partnered with someone who knew what they were doing I doubt I'd find a coherent experience story wise. I am conflicted because it seems the majority of the PSO2 community english or otherwise plays on the JP version. I'm even one of the lucky few to not be at all affected by whatever IP Block was put out after the DDOS. Really though, I enjoy PSO as a series for allowing me to drop in and out of a session with anyone and have fun without much other context other than "let's kill stuff" but this game will have trouble with that since it's almost entirely Japanese with a few gajins sprinkled in comparatively. In a word this game is "unwelcoming", at least if you don't know nipponese.

With that last closing sentence in mind I can't rationalize getting any of my friends into the JP version. Even the most neckbearded ones that would totally dig this kind of deal would be put off methinks. Still, I've been wrong before but I'm curious if I'm the only one with this sentiment. Please regale me with your thoughts. I've finally tasted this apple of enlightenment and I'm not satisfied.

Now before this thread get's napalm'd allow me to step into this bunker here and batten down the hatches.

Sacrificial
Aug 24, 2014, 05:58 AM
You could just download the english fanlation patch that has better quality english than the SEA version if you are really bothered by 'moonrunes'

And now to answer your question.
I, myself don't really have a problem with it. I've been playing foreign language games since the age of 5(first one being english). Either you try to learn the language,download the patch or just memorize everything. So like I did when I was five, I tried to learn Japanese. So far, I didn't really work out to surpass the language barrier, but it did made shopping easier.

landman
Aug 24, 2014, 06:22 AM
I've played a bit of the SEA version and I find myself skipping all the text that the JP version has untranslated, or ignoring it completely. Sometimes I check the log to see if the NPC said something interesting. 95% of the time is the same repetitive phrase for each one of them.

I don't have a problem with foreign languages, I like the diversity, and seeing Japanese characters around the game doesn't bother me at all. And if you want to party with random gaijins, just go to B20.

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you didn't install the story patch, since I specifically made sure most (if not all) of the tutorial dialogue is translated.

I did the core english, the large patch, and the story patch (new method). My main contentions were the tutorial pop ups (almost all of them were nipponese), gear descriptions, any kind of terminal I used and various miscellaneous things that rustled my jimmies.

Be that as it may I just got off my morning shift and the tweaker now has a new patch for me so maybe there is yet untranslated things I've been missing. I'll see soon.

Renvalt
Aug 24, 2014, 10:55 AM
I did the core english, the large patch, and the story patch (new method). My main contentions were the tutorial pop ups (almost all of them were nipponese), gear descriptions, any kind of terminal I used and various miscellaneous things that rustled my jimmies.

Be that as it may I just got off my morning shift and the tweaker now has a new patch for me so maybe there is yet untranslated things I've been missing. I'll see soon.

Hey, I hate to be that guy, but could you refrain from using the word "Nipponese"? Kinda sounds racist when you say it like that.

Also, the game isn't 100% translated - expect to see a lot of stuff in Japanese text.

The translation team does what they can; but they're not gods, nor do they work for or get paid by SEGA.

So either lower your expectations of how much English you can expect to see here, suck it up and move on, or just outright quit.

Seriously... I know that English is apparently the "language" of the "master race", but it grinds my gears when people use slang like that (even though I know that nippon = Japan, the way you word it just sounds... degrading).

BIG OLAF
Aug 24, 2014, 11:41 AM
Hey, I hate to be that guy, but could you refrain from using the word "Nipponese"? Kinda sounds racist when you say it like that.

It's still a correct term for "Japanese."

Japanese people ofttimes refer to Japan as 'Nippon.' It's not racist at all.

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 12:02 PM

Also, the game isn't 100% translated - expect to see a lot of stuff in Japanese text.

The translation team does what they can; but they're not gods, nor do they work for or get paid by SEGA.

So either lower your expectations of how much English you can expect to see here, suck it up and move on, or just outright quit.

Seriously... I know that English is apparently the "language" of the "master race", but it grinds my gears when people use slang like that (even though I know that nippon = Japan, the way you word it just sounds... degrading).

I didn't expect a 1/1 English translation to be sure and I did attempt to play with things and try to venture into the game but I didn't find it accessible as the SEA version. If you want to make a contest of who is a more devout PSO fan I'll happily concede to you. I don't have the time or patience to dedicate to JPPSO. Not right now anyway.

On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive. So until I start spouting sieg heil and using the less politically correct "nip" or "jap" you can keep your presumptions to yourself and check your privilege since I find your presumptions problematic ;-)

Sizustar
Aug 24, 2014, 12:11 PM
I didn't expect a 1/1 English translation to be sure and I did attempt to play with things and try to venture into the game but I didn't find it accessible as the SEA version. If you want to make a contest of who is a more devout PSO fan I'll happily concede to you. I don't have the time or patience to dedicate to JPPSO. Not right now anyway.

On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive. So until I start spouting sieg heil and using the less politically correct "nip" or "jap" you can keep your presumptions to yourself and check your privilege since I find your presumptions problematic ;-)

The game is playable though, as the majority of the English community plays fine, even the none PSO-fan, but anime fan(SAO) are able to play.
All the important thing is translated, or have guides available already.

And we're getting Episode 3 in 3 day anyway.

Gardios
Aug 24, 2014, 12:15 PM
On language, I am not going to limit my vocabulary on the off chance someone might be offended by the proper word for the word currently in play if the word in question itself isn't inherently offensive.
There's nothing wrong with saying Japanese as Nipponese hasn't been in use for over 50 years...

Renvalt
Aug 24, 2014, 12:16 PM

Oh dear. I seem to have touched a nerve.

Let's get one thing straight right now: I'm no PSO fan. At least, not as much as half these guys here. I just happen to find the gameplay and graphics attractive, so I play it, given that I have the chance to.

Also, what's with the use of "sieg heil"? Last I checked, no one in my region has resorted to saying that (at least, no one that isn't horrifically obscure and unimportant). And "nip"? "Jap"? Geez, dude, all I was trying to do was lessen the amount of anti-Japanese sentiments around here. After all, I think we've had a bunch of people complaining about the amount of moonrunes in the game, and pestering us on whether America has received her "promised" localization.

But then again, that has nothing to do with you.

Btw, I'm naturally a jerk. Many guys here know it, so my advice is simple: pretend I don't exist. Everyone else here does it.

infiniteeverlasting
Aug 24, 2014, 12:17 PM
there's no story in this game.
sometimes i play without the patches and it feels the same. wouldn't have mattered if it was translated or not :P.

Quatre52
Aug 24, 2014, 03:21 PM
there's no story in this game.
sometimes i play without the patches and it feels the same. wouldn't have mattered if it was translated or not :P.

There is definitely a story in this game.

BIG OLAF
Aug 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
There is definitely a story in this game.

He meant there's no good story in this game.

Sanguine2009
Aug 24, 2014, 04:29 PM
by mmo standards by ep2's matter boards its pretty decent

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 04:54 PM
Oh dear. I seem to have touched a nerve.

Let's get one thing straight right now: I'm no PSO fan. At least, not as much as half these guys here. I just happen to find the gameplay and graphics attractive, so I play it, given that I have the chance to.

Also, what's with the use of "sieg heil"? Last I checked, no one in my region has resorted to saying that (at least, no one that isn't horrifically obscure and unimportant). And "nip"? "Jap"? Geez, dude, all I was trying to do was lessen the amount of anti-Japanese sentiments around here. After all, I think we've had a bunch of people complaining about the amount of moonrunes in the game, and pestering us on whether America has received her "promised" localization.

But then again, that has nothing to do with you.

Btw, I'm naturally a jerk. Many guys here know it, so my advice is simple: pretend I don't exist. Everyone else here does it.

I'm fine with Japan and Japanese culture. If I wasn't I definitely wouldn't have much interest in PSO translated or otherwise. My bias comes from the lack of translation. That's on me of course.

I do feel a bit bad as I glossed over the gameplay in my first impression post. Lag wise I couldn't tell much difference between the SEA and JP versions. It was nice to finally get my feet wet. The target lock on mechanics feels a bit wonky at times but I think that was because I usually ended up killing stuff too quickly to spend much time locked onto a single target. This caused my camera to snap around in fights but it wasn't hard to adjust to. The manual targeting is probably useful at some point but my first impressions were it was kind of gimmicky. Still I'm always up for something new and I wouldn't call it bad, just different.

Not sure how to really judge it. Honestly I'd need more time with it right now. I would have to say its an improvement over various other PSO combat mechanics I've encountered from various games in the series.

Lighthero
Aug 24, 2014, 05:43 PM
Wasn't this about the fantranslation of the game?

Tbh, I don't see your problem in there still being too many moonrunes. The game is mostly translated. Only some descriptions and mainly new content still has to be done. I only ever use the small patch, so I don't know exactly.

I'm just wondering. Did you expect a fan translation of the game that has the entire game translated? Does it really take away the ability to enjoy the game like as Japanese person would? If it does, then really...maybe you should play corridor games instead. Tbh, would be better to thank Aida & co. For making it more accessable. Now I come to think of it. Ep 3 must be a pain.

WildarmsRE5
Aug 24, 2014, 07:52 PM
no, just throw this ungrateful wretch back to SEA PSO2 and go rot like what Asiasoft is doing right now.

. . .

hate aside, most of the untranslated stuff usually has nothing to do with anything, nor it is important at all. I can't see why you are bothered with pillowtalk like those.

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 09:36 PM
Wasn't this about the fantranslation of the game?

Tbh, I don't see your problem in there still being too many moonrunes. The game is mostly translated. Only some descriptions and mainly new content still has to be done. I only ever use the small patch, so I don't know exactly.

I'm just wondering. Did you expect a fan translation of the game that has the entire game translated? Does it really take away the ability to enjoy the game like as Japanese person would? If it does, then really...maybe you should play corridor games instead. Tbh, would be better to thank Aida & co. For making it more accessable. Now I come to think of it. Ep 3 must be a pain.

well the topic title was first impressions. I honestly wasn't expecting much even with the patches since we're talking about a labor or love for a fan translation. I should of added in some of my thoughts on gameplay in the first post as well but it didn't occur to me at the time. Given how PSO's maps work they're pretty corridorish to me. I jest :-P

@WildarmsRE5

Maximum over edge here, tell me, how many x's do you have in front of and behind your in game name?

WildarmsRE5
Aug 24, 2014, 09:51 PM
I don't, I just have a certain blaring hate over those who choose to play and support the SEA version.

I still hate Asiasoft for ruining things on why I can't play JP PSO2 "normally" anymore.

Sizustar
Aug 24, 2014, 09:52 PM
well the topic title was first impressions. I honestly wasn't expecting much even with the patches since we're talking about a labor or love for a fan translation. I should of added in some of my thoughts on gameplay in the first post as well but it didn't occur to me at the time. Given how PSO's maps work they're pretty corridorish to me. I jest :-P

@WildarmsRE5

Maximum over edge here, tell me, how many x's do you have in front of and behind your in game name?

You should have waited a few more day, as Jp PSO2 is getting Episode 3 in 2 day, which offers a new job with new play style, and all the previous job have been tweaked to play differently.

May0
Aug 24, 2014, 11:05 PM
I don't, I just have a certain blaring hate over those who choose to play and support the SEA version.

I still hate Asiasoft for ruining things on why I can't play JP PSO2 "normally" anymore.

I've barely scratched the surface of either so the differences are a bit lost on me. From what I've played so far the only difference is cosmetic, content chapters withstanding of course. I believe I read that the SEA version locks you into a costume and you have to pay to change it? Something along those lines.

I also understand SEA will miss out on a lot of costumes and events that are culturally japan only. Makes me lament a bit but I'm not one for favoring one culture over another. I'm sure Singapore has holidays just like japan does in that respect.

I'm sure I can read at length how asiasoft ruined PSO2 over in the SEA region somewhere in the forum but can you give me the cliff notes?

Renvalt
Aug 24, 2014, 11:11 PM

I wonder if that hate might manage to spread when Sega of Japan decides to cheese us out on PSO2 by giving us PS Nova, saying "We gave you a new Phantasy Star title, be grateful you gaijinny bastards", all the while pissing off their fanbase and making them into even more of a Crapcom clone than Konami will ever be.

You should have waited a few more day, as Jp PSO2 is getting Episode 3 in 2 day, which offers a new job with new play style, and all the previous job have been tweaked to play differently.

^ This right here. The game's getting a fuckton of revamps come Wednesday. The game's not going to be the same after this.

It's why I'm holding off on recreating my character - because I want to see ALL the changes they're doing, not just Bouncer/Harukotan's first field (which I'm going to the liberty of dubbing "Hakumura" - "White Village" just sounds so... blegh).

Not to mention, the opening of all the classes from the start (not just the Saint Cross of Asian MMOs) will let me try on all (well, almost all) the weapons available without having to truck through 30 levels of a class I don't like just to unlock a class whose weapons I may hate (and let's be real - Cirnopedia's previews are so two dimensional and empty).

And on a final note, May0... ditch all notions of this being a recreation of your beloved PSO1, and treat it as a different game. Like... a fusion of Mabinogi/Elsword/Star Ocean. Except more waifu bullshit - an element that took some a while to get used to (and some just plain out cannot accept it).

EDIT - Felt I should respond to this:

I've barely scratched the surface of either so the differences are a bit lost on me. From what I've played so far the only difference is cosmetic, content chapters withstanding of course. I believe I read that the SEA version locks you into a costume and you have to pay to change it? Something along those lines.

I also understand SEA will miss out on a lot of costumes and events that are culturally japan only. Makes me lament a bit but I'm not one for favoring one culture over another. I'm sure Singapore has holidays just like japan does in that respect.

I'm sure I can read at length how asiasoft ruined PSO2 over in the SEA region somewhere in the forum but can you give me the cliff notes?

Cliff notes version: Asiasoft decided to IP block everyone who wasn't a Singaporean/Indonesian native - peeps get mad because that was our only English version, and it got handed to a company that not only has a history of being a far worse douche than Nexon, but also decides "Nobody can play but us" and blocks most English speaking peeps from their servers (by which I mean, most Americans who felt "entitled" to an English version, because, y'know, America - English speaking "master race").

We believe that in retaliation, someone pulled a DDoS, and Japan shut themselves in to protect themselves... and due to their ToS, they neither are obligated nor supposed to let us back in. Leaving most English speakers (read: Americans/British/Australians) unable to play... and some of them using the most ridiculous anti-JP insults known to man.

WildarmsRE5
Aug 24, 2014, 11:13 PM
SEGA IP Banned SEA Players due to Asiasoft's request since they are hosting the SEA version.

now If they've let us mind our own business in JP servers, I wouldn't have minded it but, that wouldn't be good business practice would it?

adding in a note, We've been Banned a month before the DDoS attacks so no, its not an ISP block.

May0
Aug 25, 2014, 12:12 AM
And on a final note, May0... ditch all notions of this being a recreation of your beloved PSO1, and treat it as a different game. Like... a fusion of Mabinogi/Elsword/Star Ocean. Except more waifu bullshit - an element that took some a while to get used to (and some just plain out cannot accept it).

I knew this game was a different beast long before I downloaded it from the gameplay I seeing (more fast paced and waifuish as you mentioned). Honestly I wouldn't want a straight port of PSO1. Stylistically and gameplay wise I can see how things have evolved over time from previous PSO titles but I agree that PSO2 is a unique adventure.

I don't like the buzzword innovative but I don't feel like they've done much with the dungeon/tileset creation/layout for stage generation. Maybe this gets more diverse on other planets but on the starter it felt like a redone "Ragol". From a design perspective I can see why they would want to initial stages like this to ease people in from other PSO games but that's the only way I can rationalize it.

Cliff notes version: Asiasoft decided to IP block everyone who wasn't a Singaporean/Indonesian native - peeps get mad because that was our only English version, and it got handed to a company that not only has a history of being a far worse douche than Nexon, but also decides "Nobody can play but us" and blocks most English speaking peeps from their servers (by which I mean, most Americans who felt "entitled" to an English version, because, y'know, America - English speaking "master race").

We believe that in retaliation, someone pulled a DDoS, and Japan shut themselves in to protect themselves... and due to their ToS, they neither are obligated nor supposed to let us back in. Leaving most English speakers (read: Americans/British/Australians) unable to play... and some of them using the most ridiculous anti-JP insults known to man.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i58.tinypic.com/23r4a5i.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

What a lovely bit of drama. I was probably busy with world of tanks at the time. I think I remember glancing at some news about asiasoft at one point but I didn't delve into it.

My IP seems to be unaffected for the JP version while I do need a VPN to access the SEA version. In the end I may end up giving the JP version another try but It'd be a real investment in time for me to make the game accessible through reading and generally giving a shit. To a casual player american gamer I'd be hard pressed to recommend either version in their current state. If I had to pick a version to get someone into it you already know I'd go with the SEA for accessibility right now. Whatever version I end up sticking with I appreciate everyone's insight on the issue in this thread.

@RE5

have you attempted to use a VPN or hath Sega left you scorned?

WildarmsRE5
Aug 25, 2014, 01:55 AM
have you attempted to use a VPN or hath Sega left you scorned?I've been using tunneling for the past few months now, I can play, but not as good as before due to the latency, and using JP tunnel is risky since that one DCs every 30 mins.

its really frustrating that I die so much more than before just because I can't triple dash.

Vampy
Aug 25, 2014, 02:21 AM
Not trying to bring up any drama here since it's not needed, but how is SEA version more accessible? I do understand a whole bunch is left untranslated that could be useful but story patch normal translation and item translation cover a lot through tweaker.

I came in to this game knowing nothing about it I registered and everything though eyeballing and google translate. In game with patches I was give enough info to where I knew what to do without any issues I do agree it can be bare-bones at times but what they give you is all the essentials the rest you can ask here or a friend you might have playing usually the more detailed things need some sort of guide anyways outside what the game gives you. How much is missing to where you can not feel immersed in to the game?

On a side note I pretty much memorized the game to where I don't really need the patches they are just there for convenience sake.

I haven't played SEA version so I am pretty biased just a heads up so not sure how much it gives to where I can say oh I would have not been able to figure it out outside of english or spanish.

AAneko
Aug 25, 2014, 02:34 AM

Nope, You can freely wear a costume and sell it if You're bored with it already.

They already made a poll on what Anime Content does SEA want to come out first, the poll ran for a week before it was closed and went away, lol. I'm not believing it until I see it in the AC Scratch though.

HeyItsTHK
Aug 25, 2014, 03:32 AM
He meant there's no good story in this game.

Ep2 ain't half bad.

But yeah the only mmos I've played with good story are Guild Wars and Rusty Hearts