PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 How do you get to play PSO2 from US?

shoot1510
Aug 26, 2014, 10:32 PM
Hi!! I'm very familiar to PSU and PSP2. And I very badly would like to play PSO2. The problem is. The download takes damn forever, especially since the download is from Vietnam when you are downloading from US.

Other questions?

Do you have to use a proxy to login and play PSO2 from US?

Thanks!!

Edit: I'm Ariel from mibbit chat

Ashvanale
Aug 26, 2014, 10:35 PM
Why not download from the Torrents (linked in arks-layer) then patch it up via tweaker since Tweaker doesn't need a VPN.

Walkure
Aug 26, 2014, 10:36 PM
VPNs work, I don't think a proxy will. You need to actually reroute your connection so that it connects with some Internet backbones in Japan, otherwise the connection fails.

Try the PSO2 Tweaker (Third-Party Launcher to the game) for downloading patches and whatnot if you're having issues. It doesn't need a VPN, which means it tends to be faster for US players, and less of a track record for deleting files on your hard drive.

Sizustar
Aug 26, 2014, 10:38 PM
Which version are you trying to access?

Taiwan
Japan
Sea

shoot1510
Aug 26, 2014, 10:40 PM
Which version are you trying to access?

Taiwan
Japan
Sea

Which ever has the English update

Lumpen Thingy
Aug 26, 2014, 10:47 PM

get the Japanese version and use english patches if you want all the good updates and not be behind 2 years in content

ashley50
Aug 26, 2014, 10:49 PM
SEA is best, play there.

The Walrus
Aug 26, 2014, 11:29 PM
SEA is best, play there.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/403/Girls.png

Sizustar
Aug 26, 2014, 11:36 PM

SEA is all in English, but is behind 2 year of content, and is ip blocked for the SEA region.

Japan is the latest with fan translation, but due to the recent DDOS attack, Sega switched their server, who have not broadcast their location to all region, so some ISP can, and other can't connect, easiest ot test is to check the official site, if you can connect, then no problem.

May0
Aug 27, 2014, 02:39 AM
Both options aren't what I would consider preferable right now but I think both have their redeeming qualities.

The Japanese version will require some moonrune puzzle regististraiton for the game. Further more even with all the english patches added in you'll need to let your gamer's instinct do most of the work for you and watch internet videos/read guides on how to do certain things in game if you're not already familiar with all of PSO2's nuances.

At a very basic level of "run around and kill things in the PSO universe" the game is playable with and without the english patch but I don't find it preferable to SEA version as of right now. If you're having trouble registering there's a Hiragana (moonrune) keyboard here (http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-pre-open-beta-registration-guide/) in this blog. The blog is a bit outdated but can help you with the registration process. If you have google translate its a bit easier to register you give it a few minutes. I don't have any trouble connecting with my IP but supposedly some folks are after the DDoS fiasco a few months back. You may need a VPN to access the servers but I don't. I don't think most folks do.

If you want the definitive version of PSO2 the JP version is definitely the way go. It's unadulterated Japanese culture and style and if you don't mind glossing over the moonrunes or better yet if you can read them I would go to this version if you want what everyone seems to rave about. Also I think the SEA version's menus lag a bit compared to the JP version...that may just be my VPN though. The translation patches in game should cover the bare necessities of getting you oriented into the game if only just. If you can't understand Japanese I would recommend looking up gameplay guides/videos

The Sea version is somewhat easier to get into if you know how to use a VPN. Really if you've ever connected a laptop to wireless router that's about a hard as it is. I'm currently using SoftEther VPN Client manager as seen here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHwAlEHi8Cw). The registration process is in english and so is the game. It's arguably the de facto english version right now in that respect. As various folks have mentioned the game lags behind it's Japanese counterpart content wise. If you've just started playing though that's rather a moot point unless you have all day to grind away the content. To be brief- if you have a day job or school and a social life I wouldn't expect to speed through either version of the game.

Gameplay wise its pretty much identical to its Japanese counterpart. As I mentioned above there is a bit of lag on the menus but since gameplay is instanced you won't notice it during normal running and gunning and such. Unlike the JP version you have to use a VPN to access this SEA server. What this boils down to is if there aren't any points for you to bounce your IP from that are near enough to the SEA server then you can't connect to the game. I don't have all the locations off the top of my head but I believe Indonesia, Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand all work as IP areas for the SEA version. At any given time you'll find 3 or 4 of these areas to bounce your IP from. As to whether or not they'll let you connect....well you just gotta hope you're lucky. :-?

I would recommend going through the SEA version even with the VPN nonsense first if only to view tutorials and story content as it was intended for English speakers. If you feel the English community is too sparse its not impossible to switch between the versions. Both versions are free so there's no reason not to try one over the other. If you feel you've reached the end game of the SEA server you can always migrate over to the JP version. Combined both versions are about 40 gigs on your harddrive so if you do decide to play both you better have some extra space there.

Community wise almost everyone and their mother here plays exclusively on the JP version while some play on both and other only on the SEA. You'll probably find more people from PSOworld in the JP version but the SEA version does have an english translation so it would stand to reason there's a sizable amount of english speakers in that region...still I'm sure some of said SEA region players play on the JP version. I don't have the numbers but for simple comparison sake the JP version has 10 ships while the SEA version only has two. On the flip side the SEA version is a bit younger than the JP version so naturally their population will probably be a bit smaller anyway.

Make sure to tell everyone they're entitled for wanting more content faster rather than waiting for the English version if they give you any lip about choosing the SEA version, they'll love that. :roll:

Whichever version you choose don't let others decide what's fun for you.