PDA

View Full Version : Why use English patch if we have to VPN anyway?

thealliedhacker
Sep 2, 2014, 12:01 PM
Is there any reason (aside from having to play on a different account & server) not to use the official English SEA version instead of the JP version with English patches, given that we have to use a VPN either way?

Punisher106
Sep 2, 2014, 12:03 PM
The JP version is just route problems that Segac is too lethargic to fix. There's other ways besides a VPN to get a route to the server.

Shinamori
Sep 2, 2014, 12:03 PM
The SEA version is crappy, and is 2 years behind in content, no thanks. O/

Hexxy
Sep 2, 2014, 12:08 PM
jp version superiority. current content and first updates, dont want to leave jp friends behind, thousands of hours invested (most likely with tons of money invested), company handling the server...etc there's a lot more reasons. the translations provided for us here are far superior as well.

Dan Maku
Sep 2, 2014, 01:28 PM
Is there any reason (aside from having to play on a different account & server) not to use the official English SEA version instead of the JP version with English patches, given that we have to use a VPN either way?

Because Asiasoft is shit.

reaper527
Sep 2, 2014, 01:40 PM
the jp servers just got ep3, the sea servers aren't even done with ep1. the sea servers are so far behind that you'd have to be a fool to play on that server without living there.

also, not everyone has to use a vpn to access the jp servers. sega's incompetent isp is publishing a route with too large of a prefix on their subnet mask (matching the first 28 bits instead of the first 25), and this is causing compatibility issues with other isp's. many people aren't being impacted by this though, and are able to connect just fine without vpn.

infiniteeverlasting
Sep 2, 2014, 01:43 PM
Not everyone needs VPN, stop spreading the bs.
Verizon users can connect perfectly.

elryan
Sep 2, 2014, 01:50 PM
...official English SEA version...

Get out.

BubblyBoar
Sep 2, 2014, 01:58 PM
After Ep 3 balances, I cant go back to Ep 2. Ep 2 is just so....painful to even look at now. That aside, the SEA version is altered for the worse by Asiasoft. With changes to things like potentials and mechanics, I don't even want to touch SEA.

Kamijou Touma
Sep 2, 2014, 02:00 PM
@thealliedhacker your so called official version is the crap pile of crappiest versions
no one here will play the sea version we would rather play with the english patch and hope and pray that sega makes the game have an english option on their own and allow us to play on the jap servers even after they do
no one here wants to play something that wasnt translated by the makers and or by fans
asiasoft did not make pso2 so why should we play the sea version
also your vpn bull
to answer that we can use pingzapper to play so i dont understand how you can tell everyone oh you need a vpn to play

next time try finding a forum that doesnt know better and waste their time because we dont have time to waste our time on you

also i played asiasofts ragnarok lets just say NEVER AGAIN

FerrickX
Sep 2, 2014, 04:51 PM

yyeahhhh good luck with that asiasoft shit

May0
Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 PM
Speaking on behalf of non die hared JP fans. everything I need to say is pretty much said here. http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221503

tldr; both versions have their strengths. I've played quite a bit of JP version because I have access to both so I can switch between the two to check the English version if I feel the need to. If you already have both versions play whichever one you want. If you don't have either I'd start with the SEA version. If you somehow manage to get to the endgame content of episode 1 in one day and want to go further the SEA makes a good base for the JP version as far as knowing the story and such and can fill in the blanks the current english patch for the JP version misses.

Lots of folks here argue the content gap being an issue but if you've never played either version it's a rather moot point I think...8-)

undead098
Sep 2, 2014, 10:18 PM

because asiasoft...

hoangsea
Sep 2, 2014, 10:21 PM
one reason

a$$ia$oft is Shiet

no thanks

i don't think that they can keep the server alived until ep3
lol

Daiyousei
Sep 2, 2014, 11:16 PM
They did lose money this quarter of the year.

wefwq
Sep 2, 2014, 11:47 PM
Why one want to play watered down version of the game.
Seriosly, "the only" plus from SEA version is full english text and literally nothing else.

Also i don't think SEA will see EP3 update.

FerrickX
Sep 3, 2014, 12:00 AM
Why one want to play watered down version of the game.
Seriosly, "the only" plus from SEA version is full english text and literally nothing else.

Also i don't think SEA will see EP3 update.

full blasphemed English text you mean? IE Tech -> Magic , FO -> Wizard, and Weak Bullet -> Crippled bullet

tanako
Sep 3, 2014, 02:51 AM
http://news.playpark.com/en/24460

cash shop armors with lucky breaks...lol

IndignationSWF
Sep 3, 2014, 03:00 AM
Wizards, Asiasoft made Wizards.
Seriously though, the content gap and translation leave much to be desired.

tanako
Sep 3, 2014, 04:29 AM
And the inflation rate is crazy....a gramazento cost 8m...yukata 10m
All bcoz of they didnt control gold sellers....i had a new teammate that just started playing with 950m of meseta bought from gold sellers

WildarmsRE5
Sep 3, 2014, 04:33 AM
I Love my people. . .

which is also the reason why I play in JP Servers. (screw SEA Ban)

Zipzo
Sep 3, 2014, 04:44 AM
SEA version is actually at risk of being shut down. If I were a new player I definitely wouldn't start there.

WildarmsRE5
Sep 3, 2014, 05:19 AM
SEA version is actually at risk of being shut down. If I were a new player I definitely wouldn't start there.
Horeeeee sheeet, It's Happening!

REJOICE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEHsMTyAAwE

Renvalt
Sep 3, 2014, 06:39 AM

Now you have me curious - is there anything I can read on this, other than what you or others have posted here?

I mean, I'm eager to know the reasons why the shutdown risk is so high. It's not that I'm on SEA's side or not, I just would like something to read so I can kill my boredom (and entertain myself with some gossip/ranting/whatever for a tad).

Zipzo
Sep 3, 2014, 08:09 AM
Now you have me curious - is there anything I can read on this, other than what you or others have posted here?

I mean, I'm eager to know the reasons why the shutdown risk is so high. It's not that I'm on SEA's side or not, I just would like something to read so I can kill my boredom (and entertain myself with some gossip/ranting/whatever for a tad).

Sure.

I'll make a thread.

oratank
Sep 3, 2014, 09:43 AM
And the inflation rate is crazy....a gramazento cost 8m...yukata 10m
All bcoz of they didnt control gold sellers....i had a new teammate that just started playing with 950m of meseta bought from gold sellers

why did he have to buy 950m when they only have just 9* stuff to buy ? :-o

GHNeko
Sep 3, 2014, 01:09 PM
The JP version is just route problems that Segac is too lethargic to fix. There's other ways besides a VPN to get a route to the server.
I wouldnt say Sega is lethargic.

It's just that fixing the problem for people outside of JP would contradict their ToS about "NO BAKA GAIJINS"

May0
Sep 4, 2014, 04:11 AM
If for whatever reason you do have to use VPN it is not the preferable connection to either server. At best I think you'll find it acceptable if you've not had to use one as of yet. That being said, I can understand why someone who was banned from the JP version would stop playing entirely even if they could connect with the VPN.

You usually don't connect to the first proxy server you pick so it turns into a shell game until you find the one that will take you. When you do find one that will take you it can d/c at any time and the quality of the connection (as I said before) is adequate but going from a completely unhindered connection to a VPN you'll notice a bit of lag. I'd probably play the SEA version more if I didn't have to jump through the VPN hoops to be honest.

tanako
Sep 4, 2014, 10:59 AM
why did he have to buy 950m when they only have just 9* stuff to buy ? :-o

I have no idea how rich kids think...lol. :D

Im enjoying the sea version at the beginning...but the slow updates and responce from asiasoft really sucks...its just like they open the game n leave it there doing nothing even in their forums...all troubles or future roadmap are all commented by players themselves...at least pso2 taiwan gives roadmap about future updates and responces to thier players..

And the funny thing...theres a hacker lurking around whispering the whole server like a gm...randomly boot ppl out from game...pushes ur char out of lobby...and the gold sellers....still haven been solved

Community in sea...spamming all chats n hentai sa in lobby

FerrickX
Sep 4, 2014, 12:05 PM
If for whatever reason you do have to use VPN it is not the preferable connection to either server. At best I think you'll find it acceptable if you've not had to use one as of yet. That being said, I can understand why someone who was banned from the JP version would stop playing entirely even if they could connect with the VPN.

You usually don't connect to the first proxy server you pick so it turns into a shell game until you find the one that will take you. When you do find one that will take you it can d/c at any time and the quality of the connection (as I said before) is adequate but going from a completely unhindered connection to a VPN you'll notice a bit of lag. I'd probably play the SEA version more if I didn't have to jump through the VPN hoops to be honest.

are you sure you're using the correct VPN server? I mean for optimal gameplay you do need to find the region the game is associated with (in this case, Japan), find the highest line speed and lowest ping and you will connect into the game without a hitch. If push comes to shove, you could just use the Amazon EC2 (Tutorial found here) (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299), heard that one is better, but me personally i used SoftEther, and i never had the problem you mentioned at all.

Z-0
Sep 4, 2014, 01:40 PM
If you're not located Stateside (or at least with some pretty good internet if you're not close), CyberKitsune's proxy is not a viable solution.

I tried to use it and was treated with one-second lagspikes for everything. Weapons took forever to load, step cancel was impossible, damage register took a while (so dead things could kill me), etc.

CyberKitsune's proxy is not exactly a saviour for everyone. He's aware of this though, and trying to improve it.

ArataWata
Sep 4, 2014, 01:47 PM
I don't know about you guys but for me it's...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33123720/1238185663555%20copy.JPG

May0
Sep 4, 2014, 09:31 PM
are you sure you're using the correct VPN server? I mean for optimal gameplay you do need to find the region the game is associated with (in this case, Japan), find the highest line speed and lowest ping and you will connect into the game without a hitch. If push comes to shove, you could just use the Amazon EC2 (Tutorial found here) (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299), heard that one is better, but me personally i used SoftEther, and i never had the problem you mentioned at all.

I don't have any issues connecting with the JP version and I haven't tried to use a VPN to connect to it. I assumed the softether would be the same for either case. I am using 2mbs down internet so that may also be a factor I suppose.

As for the SEA servers I think I have the best luck with vietnam/indonesia in terms of reliable connections. Assuming they allow me to connect.

@aida I haven't used any kind of VPN for the JP version. In either case I wouldn't want to have to based on my experiences with the VPN for the SEA region.

FerrickX
Sep 4, 2014, 09:39 PM
I don't have any issues connecting with the JP version and I haven't tried to use a VPN to connect to it. I assumed the softether would be the same for either case. I am using 2mbs down internet so that may also be a factor I suppose.

As for the SEA servers I think I have the best luck with vietnam/indonesia in terms of reliable connections. Assuming they allow me to connect.

@aida I haven't used any kind of VPN for the JP version. In either case I wouldn't want to have to based on my experiences with the VPN for the SEA region.

wait you don't use vpn for JP version? Do tell me, what ISP do you use? I need to know because my isp can't find pso2.jp

May0
Sep 4, 2014, 09:55 PM
wait you don't use vpn for JP version? Do tell me, what ISP do you use? I need to know because my isp can't find pso2.jp

I'm in south Texas right now and I'm using time warner. 14.99 a month. Pretty bare bones but honestly you don't really need more than 1MB unless you're streaming or downloading while playing at the same time I think.

FerrickX
Sep 4, 2014, 09:57 PM
I'm in south Texas right now and I'm using time warner. 14.99 a month. Pretty bare bones but honestly you don't really need more than 1MB unless you're streaming or downloading while playing at the same time I think.

huh i thought comcast (the current isp i use) bought TWC already, and i guess i should either use twc or verizon if i intend to play pso2 jp without vpn

May0
Sep 4, 2014, 10:21 PM
huh i thought comcast (the current isp i use) bought TWC already, and i guess i should either use twc or verizon if i intend to play pso2 jp without vpn

Insider info here. The purchase is more or less done but but from a logistical standpoint switching over pricing systems and infrastructure isn't going to happen over night. Lots of folks with TW are still with TW even though comcast owns TW. Seriously though, look at the service maps for both companies- big swaths of service area on both sides. I think you can reasonable expect TW to become completely comcast within next year assuming google fiber doesn't spread it's wings and cause comcast to go ass end up by drowning in their own incompetence with 300gb caps. We'll just have to see how that goes.

Really though the issue is where your IP originates from. As I understand there are folks with TW that are also having issues connecting to the JP version without using a VPN.

NotRankin
Sep 5, 2014, 03:09 PM
Insider info here. The purchase is more or less done but but from a logistical standpoint switching over pricing systems and infrastructure isn't going to happen over night. Lots of folks with TW are still with TW even though comcast owns TW. Seriously though, look at the service maps for both companies- big swaths of service area on both sides. I think you can reasonable expect TW to become completely comcast within next year assuming google fiber doesn't spread it's wings and cause comcast to go ass end up by drowning in their own incompetence with 300gb caps. We'll just have to see how that goes.

Really though the issue is where your IP originates from. As I understand there are folks with TW that are also having issues connecting to the JP version without using a VPN.

Off topic but it still requires FCC approval.

May0
Sep 6, 2014, 02:28 AM
Off topic but it still requires FCC approval.

We can make this into an off topic thread if you like but let me say this.

Comcast is basically going to throw their money at lobbies and some of which include former FCC legislators (http://bgr.com/2014/09/03/comcast-time-warner-cable-merger-4/). Between all the Anita Sarkeesian SJW nonsense being the biggest deal in the gaming world and real world matters with ISIS or what have you there won't be that many up in arms over the merger. They're going to outshouted by Comcast's lobbyist and such.

Is this going to bring about a doomsday for the economy? No, but if you're a consumer that enjoys lower priced and higher quality internet and you're in a district that will be affected by said merger then you an expect to see a drop in your quality of service and an increase of cost for said services. Really, whenever the component of competition is removed from the market the consumer is the first to suffer and if the past is any indicator comcast will do whatever it can to consolidate their markets so they are the only choice.

They don't need to upgrade their infrastructure or offer competent customer service when they have no competition in their service areas. For example, I love steam but I would be very uncomfortable if it was the only digital distributor of games and other media online. With competition on the market steam has an incentive to not be shite and services like GFWL or Origin that don't try as hard or offer less competent services have a reason to try to offer a better service because steam sets the bar as high as it does.

I hope I'm wrong and the merger bongles. It's going to take a very vocal consumer group screaming their heads off and slamming their representative's mail/email box. Like said though, my main concern is the average joe doesn't know or care about the quality of their services to give a crap. That or they're going to preoccupied with something else.

God speed Google fiber