PDA

View Full Version : Ep3 Matoi new look :c

jeremycards
Sep 6, 2014, 02:56 PM
*some spoilers of Matterboard 17 and 18*

Goddamit D= they keep making Matoi uglier!!, first of, she was super cute and pretty, and everything was good in the world. Then, we see her in the past on MB17 and she's not as cute, but still good. Now episode 3 comes arround and completely ruins her D= dear god she looks so much uglier now with that haircut! I can only fear what she will look like in episode 4! D=

Walkure
Sep 6, 2014, 02:57 PM
I can only fear what she will look like in episode 4! D=Pompadour.

doomdragon83
Sep 6, 2014, 03:24 PM
Pompadour.
....nah, I'm thinking mohawk and she needs to get a bit of fat on her.

[spoiler-box]http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120729000227/theamazingworldofgumball/images/c/cd/Chris_Hansen_Says_Hi.gif[/spoiler-box]
Good thing I brought my own seat, a nice, comfortable Photon Chair. That way, I can still be seated while fleeing the obvious police raid.

Walkure
Sep 6, 2014, 03:58 PM
[spoiler-box]http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25196-BRB-using-imagination-since-no-B9lT.gif[/spoiler-box]
I'm sorry; there's no saved character model of Matoi in that old thread so I can't show you the pompadour and sunglasses (cause sunglasses would really go well with it).

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 6, 2014, 04:30 PM
first of, she was super cute and pretty
she was? she was pretty dang ugly

like marlu

gigawuts
Sep 6, 2014, 04:32 PM

like marlu

marry me

jeremycards
Sep 6, 2014, 05:24 PM

like marlu

PFF super pretty she was! D=<

http://blog-imgs-55.fc2.com/p/h/a/phantasystaronline2/matoi.jpg

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 05:26 PM
Her hair style and clothes are all that changed. I agree that her new hair is really fugly though.

EDIT: I guess the important question here would be... why is this important enough to make a thread for?

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 05:33 PM
PSOWorld.

Pretty much this.

Also, I dunno about the hair; don't like the outfit that much, though.

Sacrificial
Sep 6, 2014, 05:36 PM
I'm perfectly fine with an outfit that's not revealing everything a kid should not show.

The Walrus
Sep 6, 2014, 05:37 PM
I thought Matoi was supposed to be 18 or something

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 05:37 PM
I'm perfectly fine with an outfit that's not revealing everything a kid should not show.Matoi is 18.

EDIT: She's older than Reda, Theo, and Uruk/Ulk.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 05:40 PM
I thought Matoi was supposed to be 18 or something

The real question is does she look eighteen?

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 05:44 PM
The real question is does she look eighteen?Both of these characters are 18 too.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/fnQwlD3.png
http://i.imgur.com/BJf3Xx5.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
After a certain point you just kinda stop caring unless it's blatant pandering and they go out of their way to explicitly state that this tiny flat chested loli is really 5000 years old despite looking and acting 11.

Sacrificial
Sep 6, 2014, 05:46 PM
Matoi is 18.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/boukB/f5153aa685.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 05:46 PM
Both of these characters are 18 too.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/fnQwlD3.png
http://i.imgur.com/BJf3Xx5.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
After a certain point you just kinda stop caring unless it's blatant pandering and they go out of their way to explicitly state that this tiny flat chested loli is really 5000 years old despite looking and acting 11.

Yeah, it's all a matter of art style and intent. Which is what I was getting at behind the comment. xD

Sanguine2009
Sep 6, 2014, 05:48 PM

she certainly does not look like a loli at least...

Stealthcmc1974
Sep 6, 2014, 05:48 PM
Matoi is 18.

Wait... they're all younger than her?! I don't even...

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, it's all a matter of art style and intent. Which is what I was getting at behind the comment. xDFair enough.

While I'm at it though. Sailor moon?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Sailor_Moon_(1st_uniform).png

14 in the first season.[/SPOILER-BOX]

EDIT: Jasmine?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fi/f/fc/Lindalarkin_aladdin.JPG
15.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Aurora
[SPOILER-BOX]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0ojHNjTbTnk/TlYCaYqBuvI/AAAAAAAAAd0/7eRIOudJyCw/s1600/forest+dress.jpg
16.[/SPOILER-BOX]

The Walrus
Sep 6, 2014, 05:51 PM
Bullshit. That said, good ol nippon.

Touka
Sep 6, 2014, 05:57 PM
Matoi's eyes are too big,they're creepy tbh.And this is coming from someone that watches a lot anime.

Tbh......pretty much all the npcs look bad.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 06:00 PM
Matoi's eyes are too big,they're creepy tbh.And this is coming from someone that watches a lot anime.

Tbh......pretty much all the npcs look bad.It's because by the time they actually bothered to make a good looking "cute" face all the important characters have been established.

Also the character models are don't accommodate it well. While they're still stylized they don't look good when you try to make them straight up animu. Sega (and a lot of players even more so) just don't seem to want to believe this.

RadiantLegend
Sep 6, 2014, 06:03 PM
Barbs the forgotten is pretty cool.
Yet to see the new Matoi

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 06:11 PM
Before I forget, in defense of japanese characters being older than they look, a lot of japanese people are relatively neotenous compared to westerners so they might have a different idea of what someone who actually does look younger than they would look. Matoi probably IS supposed to look younger than she is. Likewise Reda is probably supposed to look older. I mean hell... Hilda doesn't like THIRTY-SIX. >_>

Barbs the forgotten is pretty cool.
Yet to see the new MatoiAs in Barbara? She's a cast and wears a helmet thing, isn't that cheating? D:

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 06:16 PM
She's older than Uruk/Ulk.

W-wait. How old is Ulc?

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 06:25 PM
W-wait. How old is Ulc?http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207128&highlight=character+age

These seem to be based on the timeline that got posted a while ago and included when the characters were born then compared to the dates currently ingame (I can't find it). I haven't really payed attention but depending on how much time passed ingame they might all be about year older, I'm not sure.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 06:49 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207128&highlight=character+age

These seem to be based on the timeline that got posted a while ago and included when the characters were born then compared to the dates currently ingame (I can't find it). I haven't really payed attention but depending on how much time passed ingame they might all be about year older, I'm not sure.

16-17....I'm slightly conflicted about this, considering Ulc is my favorite NPC. Thought for sure she was over 18.

Not that it matters much, she just looks...well, older than that. To me at least. >_>;

Nitro Vordex
Sep 6, 2014, 06:52 PM
the real question is

how old is dudu and xie

and is monica their child

Shirai
Sep 6, 2014, 08:01 PM
i wonder what the fugly hair looks like

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 08:09 PM
16-17....I'm slightly conflicted about this, considering Ulc is my favorite NPC. Thought for sure she was over 18.

Not that it matters much, she just looks...well, older than that. To me at least. >_>;Y-you don't... have to be sexually interested in a character for them to be your favorite... Just saying.

the real question is

how old is dudu and xie

and is monica their childwot. Xie doesn't look old enough to be Monica's mother even as a joke that's a weird thing to say. >_>

Top left.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Episode-3-Chapter-1.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ezodagrom
Sep 6, 2014, 08:11 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/XzvEGvn.jpg[/spoiler-box]

mctastee
Sep 6, 2014, 08:12 PM
Meh. I don't think her hair looks ugly. Just different.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 08:15 PM
Meh. I don't think her hair looks ugly. Just different.People hate change. It's certainly not a hairstyle any of my characters would wear though.

Shear
Sep 6, 2014, 08:19 PM
I think the outfit is more of a crime <.<
It ... doesn't look that bad but that ... necktie like thingie dangling in her HUGE Cleavage Window is really irritating for some reason.
Also the hood of the Outfit looks like it has Bunny ears (look closely at her back)

Seriously what kind of sane person would willingly wear that?

Shirai
Sep 6, 2014, 08:22 PM
The hair isn't ugly, but now she reminds me of a dog

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 08:24 PM
Y-you don't... have to be sexually interested in a character for them to be your favorite... Just saying.

That doesn't have anything to do with this conversation.

Christ. =_=#

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 08:38 PM
I think the outfit is more of a crime <.<
It ... doesn't look that bad but that ... necktie like thingie dangling in her HUGE Cleavage Window is really irritating for some reason.
Also the hood of the Outfit looks like it has Bunny ears (look closely at her back)

Seriously what kind of sane person would willingly wear that?
Lest we forget:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/zyBAOOA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/S0Taauc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ywlvlmB.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

That doesn't have anything to do with this conversation.

Christ. =_=#What's there to feel conflicted about then? :-?

Rain Walker
Sep 6, 2014, 08:43 PM
Need more exposure

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 08:53 PM
What's there to feel conflicted about then? :-?

[I know this is Sega we're talking about] The fact that characters like Matoi are older than characters like Ulc when Ulc clearly 'looks' older. By a noticeable amount.

I know different bodies grow differently, but it just feels way too blatant, sometimes. It just doesn't sit well with me. On the other hand....style and intent. The intent just kind of urks me.

infiniteeverlasting
Sep 6, 2014, 08:53 PM
matoi is fine. I personally like her new look a lot better.
The old sleeves were annoying, i know its supposed to imitate ancient/traditional japanese/asian clothing... but it just looked damn weird put together with a sci-fi setting.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 09:12 PM
[I know this is Sega we're talking about] The fact that characters like Matoi are older than characters like Ulc when Ulc clearly 'looks' older. By a noticeable amount.

I know different bodies grow differently, but it just feels way too blatant, sometimes. It just doesn't sit well with me. On the other hand....style and intent. The intent just kind of urks me.What's the intent? ._. Matoi isn't some sort of loli pandering or anything. She just looks younger than she is.

I mean, I guess I understand where you're coming from, it just seemed like a strange choice of words to me.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 09:15 PM
What's the intent? ._. Matoi isn't some sort of loli pandering or anything. She just looks younger than she is.

I mean, I guess I understand where you're coming from, it just seemed like a strange choice of words to me.

It was a poor choice of words. I'm running on four hours of sleep right now, I'm not exactly the most awake person right now. Though I'd argue that the intent was to purposefully make Matoi a smaller more 'kawaii' character because that's what Japan is into right now.

....But I really don't want to open that box right now, despite saying it.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 09:21 PM
It was a poor choice of words. I'm running on four hours of sleep right now, I'm not exactly the most awake person right now. Though I'd argue that the intent was to purposefully make Matoi a smaller more 'kawaii' character because that's what Japan is into right now.

....But I really don't want to open that box right now, despite saying it.
I don't see how it's a problem. I mean it's not like Ulk is less of a character for it or anything, and personally I find her and Theo's story more compelling. It's nothing to get worked up about though, just different character archetypes. :wacko:

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 09:24 PM
I don't see how it's a problem. I mean it's not like Ulk is less of a character for it or anything, and personally I find her and Theo's story more compelling. It's nothing to get worked up about though, just different character archetypes. :wacko:

Eh, not really worked up or anything. The constant overuse of short characters is just annoying and dull.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 6, 2014, 09:24 PM
wot. Xie

Whoops. Meant Xion.

doesn't look old enough to be Monica's mother even as a joke that's a weird thing to say. >_>
Because everyone in the game looks exactly as old as they are. :wacko:

jeremycards
Sep 6, 2014, 09:25 PM
Matoi is 18? i actually tough she was one of those ageless character than are actually like a million years old. Mostly because of MB17 events *spoilers ahead*, didn't those happen like 10 years ago?, since Zeno was a kid and so was the current Claris Claes, how old was Matoi?? she looked as old as she is now =/ and Zeno was younger than her... im confused.

Ezodagrom
Sep 6, 2014, 09:32 PM
Matoi is 18? i actually tough she was one of those ageless character than are actually like a million years old. Mostly because of MB17 events *spoilers ahead*, didn't those happen like 10 years ago?, since Zeno was a kid and so was the current Claris Claes, how old was Matoi?? she looked as old as she is now =/ and Zeno was younger than her... im confused.
Matoi pretty much "jumped" through time, she was sent 10 years into the future, though with no memories of what happened.

For spoilers you can use the [ spoiler ] tag.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 09:32 PM
Eh, not really worked up or anything. The constant overuse of short characters is just annoying and dull.To each their own I guess.

Whoops. Meant Xion.

Because everyone in the game looks exactly as old as they are. :wacko:Do MB16's story quest with the english patch for Xion. :U

Matoi is 18? i actually tough she was one of those ageless character than are actually like a million years old. Mostly because of MB17 events *spoilers ahead*, didn't those happen like 10 years ago?, since Zeno was a kid and so was the current Claris Claes, how old was Matoi?? she looked as old as she is now =/ and Zeno was younger than her... im confused.You realize a good chunk of the plot is about time travel right? :wacko:

yoshiblue
Sep 6, 2014, 09:35 PM
Matoi holding the same genes as Emmanuel Lewis.

oratank
Sep 6, 2014, 09:44 PM
matoi isn't natural born she was created by xion.

LonelyGaruga
Sep 6, 2014, 09:53 PM
Eh, not really worked up or anything. The constant overuse of short characters is just annoying and dull.

The typical person in Japan is short. Matoi's small stature isn't really that unusual.

matoi isn't natural born she was created by xion.

Well there goes any pretense of not spoiling anything.

Is that actually true or are you just making this up.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 09:58 PM
The typical person in Japan is short. Matoi's small stature isn't really that unusual.

I'm aware of this; but there's a lot of lost potential with this character creator when the vast majority of the npcs are under the halfway point of max height. For female, at least.

Aaaanyway, that's enough of this conversation. Think I'll catch up on that sleep I've missed out on the last few days...before work tomorrow. =_=

Shear
Sep 6, 2014, 10:05 PM
I kinda agree with this, if I didn't read that Age Topic I would have never believed that Ulc for example is one of the youngest Named NPC's (I'm looking at you Marlu) <.<
Hell I made a tiny Robot Girl (not the smallest, that's overkill) because oversized Guns are funny only to notice that I'm still Bigger than some NPC's O.o

And we need to add "UNMARKED SPOILERS BE WARNED" or something to the Title.
On a side note when was it mentioned that Xion created Matoi?, I must have missed that.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 10:13 PM
I kinda agree with this, if I didn't read that Age Topic I would have never believed that Ulc for example is one of the youngest Named NPC's (I'm looking at you Marlu) <.<
Hell I made a tiny Robot Girl (not the smallest, that's overkill) because oversized Guns are funny only to notice that I'm still Bigger than some NPC's O.o

It's honestly hard to tell how tall some of them are but off the top of my head the minimum height ones are Xiao, Io, and Marlu.

Enforcer just seems to be bitter that there aren't more (or any I guess) female npcs over 6 feet tall.

Most of them are between 150-170 cms I think.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 6, 2014, 10:39 PM
It's honestly hard to tell how tall some of them are but off the top of my head the minimum height ones are Xiao, Io, and Marlu.

Enforcer just seems to be bitter that there aren't more (or any I guess) female npcs over 6 feet tall.

Most of them are between 150-170 cms I think.

I'm not bitter, I just wish they had more variety. Doesn't really feel like there's much to the NPCs. ^^;

EDIT: Why did I open PSOw will listening to music trying to fall asleep. D'OH!

Nitro Vordex
Sep 6, 2014, 10:40 PM
Do MB16's story quest with the english patch for Xion. :U

Hahahahaha, fuck that.

LonelyGaruga
Sep 6, 2014, 10:49 PM
I don't understand why NPCs should be 6' or taller. My character is max height, and that puts her at about 6' 5'', which is almost freakshow levels. Glancing around via Google, the average height of a Japanese woman seems to be merely 5' 2'', so the NPCs really are actually an accurate representation of the typical height. Might as well ask for obese NPCs too, since each one is well below what the scale allows for.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're absolutely puny too, but this is a Japanese game. I think it's phenomenal they even allow characters to be at 6' 5'' in the first place. Hunar is like, maybe a head taller than my character. It's really silly.

yoshiblue
Sep 6, 2014, 10:52 PM
Cultural dissonance. May not be the right word for it but its what I got.

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 10:58 PM
Hahahahaha, fuck that.Pft, fine Actual massive story spoilers: Xion is a sentient, borderline omniscient water planet (hence the bubble motif on her outfit). She's ancient and the "Xion" you see and talk to is an avatar she created based off the first person she met in an attempt to communicate. Oracle is a shell she had made for her by the Photoners. All that water in the oracle quests, and by extension, those gold baths... that's Xion. You're bathing in Xion.

I don't understand why NPCs should be 6' or taller. My character is max height, and that puts her at about 6' 5'', which is almost freakshow levels. Glancing around via Google, the average height of a Japanese woman seems to be merely 5' 2'', so the NPCs really are actually an accurate representation of the typical height. Might as well ask for obese NPCs too, since each one is well below what the scale allows for.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're absolutely puny too, but this is a Japanese game. I think it's phenomenal they even allow characters to be at 6' 5'' in the first place. Hunar is like, maybe a head taller than my character. It's really silly.
That's kinda how I feel about it too. I didn't say it directly but this could be included in what I mentioned before about japanese people being relatively neotenous and this being reflected in their portrayal of people in media.

That said, I wouldn't complain if the next class npc is a 6'7'' mountan of a lady.

Cultural dissonance. May not be the right word for it but its what I got.
More or less. I remember reading somewhere that it's the other way around in Japan with them seeing western women as looking kinda old, so it's not like it isn't a two way street.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 6, 2014, 11:06 PM
Pft, fine Actual massive story spoilers: Xion is a sentient, borderline omniscient water planet (hence the bubble motif on her outfit). She's ancient and the "Xion" you see and talk to is an avatar she created based off the first person she met in an attempt to communicate. Oracle is a shell she had made for her by the Photoners. All that water in the oracle quests, and by extension, those gold baths... that's Xion. You're bathing in Xion.

Are you telling me that bitch is Vopar?

Kondibon
Sep 6, 2014, 11:15 PM
Are you telling me that bitch is Vopar?No, I just explained. :I She's a water planet that's inside of Oracle, it was literally built around her by the Photoners so she could go exploring (and also because she was ronery *mini violin*). Luther used Vopar for some experiments, and his ultimate goal was to steal all of her knowledge so Vopar was probably a failed attempt to recreate... whatever she is, but we don't have all the details on it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 6, 2014, 11:17 PM
Just admit that certain mediums in japanland over-idolize borderline toddler to highschool-girl appearances and personalities except for some convenient areas of the female anatomy. (Boob windows and G-strings on half the outfits but lolis everywhere? Really doe?) Because most of the depressed artists and writers are people who only found joy in their lives during their youth, where non-bishounen grown men actually had the ability to touch a woman female outside of a planned marriages.

#Overly affectionate little girls

#But it's okay they're legal in imagination land

#School-life is a manga genre

#This is why everyone in that country gives Otaku's the stank look

#American comics are just as bad, we just make our teenage girls unrealistically look like grown women

#dis ain't how hashtags work

LonelyGaruga
Sep 6, 2014, 11:34 PM
Depressing how eager people are to exaggerate about a culture just to bash it.

NoiseHERO
Sep 6, 2014, 11:37 PM
Depressing how eager people are to exaggerate about a culture just to bash it.

No...

I actually said it was just a few writers/artists/authors/some mediums and that most people in japan think otaku's are gross. And that we're just as bad on other end of the spectrum. :J

if u ain't talkin' about me doe nvm

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 6, 2014, 11:40 PM
OP is right if he's talking about Pixiv Matoi cuz yo.

But the PSO2Pixel Matoi has always been busted as fuck.

Rien
Sep 7, 2014, 12:04 AM
I always wanted to tell Matoi You look like a fucking miko with that hairdo, you know but then she's just going to get angry with me

But seriously she's the only person who goes through fashion downgrades.

(An argument can be made for melfonshina but I know a few people who absolutely love that thong)

Nitro Vordex
Sep 7, 2014, 12:08 AM
No, I just explained. :I She's a water planet that's inside of Oracle, it was literally built around her by the Photoners so she could go exploring (and also because she was ronery *mini violin*). Luther used Vopar for some experiments, and his ultimate goal was to steal all of her knowledge so Vopar was probably a failed attempt to recreate... whatever she is, but we don't have all the details on it.
You didn't explain it like that, but I also missed the shell part.

What kind of dumb ass name is Photoners?

LonelyGaruga
Sep 7, 2014, 12:08 AM
No...

I actually said it was just a few writers/artists/authors/some mediums and that most people in japan think otaku's are gross. And that we're just as bad on other end of the spectrum. :J

if u ain't talkin' about me doe nvm

Hm, I guess there's nothing really wrong with that. Actually, I guess you're making fun of American culture just as much, haha. Just used to seeing people bash Japan's culture way too much on this site.

I always wanted to tell Matoi You look like a fucking miko with that hairdo, you know but then she's just going to get angry with me

Thought that was deliberate.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 7, 2014, 12:09 AM
Hm, I guess there's nothing really wrong with that. Actually, I guess you're making fun of American culture just as much, haha. Just used to seeing people bash Japan's culture way too much on this site.
Which is hilarious, considering how many of them pretty much worship it.

Then again, most of the bashing is satire, or humor. Though probably not done very well.

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 12:21 AM
You didn't explain it like that, but I also missed the shell part.

What kind of dumb ass name is Photoners?Fair enough. XD And it's not like Darkers is a very good name either. :wacko:

EDIT: the photoners were just people that Xion shared some of her knowledge with, leading to all the photon tech, by the way. Luther is one of them.

Thought that was deliberate.
MIKO-SAMA! MIKO-SAMA! 8U

I can't wait to find out why it took them so long to actually stop calling her that.

Rien
Sep 7, 2014, 12:41 AM
Fair enough. XD And it's not like Darkers is a very good name either. :wacko:

EDIT: the photoners were just people that Xion shared some of her knowledge with, leading to all the photon tech, by the way. Luther is one of them.

MIKO-SAMA! MIKO-SAMA! 8U

I can't wait to find out why it took them so long to actually stop calling her that.

They haven't. Yet. Only Kotoshiro and Sukunahime recognizes them as being from elsewhere.

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 12:44 AM
They haven't. Yet. Only Kotoshiro recognizes them as being from elsewhere.Well that would explain why they're losing so hard, falz or no.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 02:38 AM
Japanese culture is weird.

On the one hand you have these insanely grotesquely exaggerated figures that are basically comparable to fertility idols with how much they exaggerate the feminine features, and on the other hand you have the actual lolis. But even among the lolis there's quite a bit of variation, with most people being enamored with the barely-pubescent-still-obviously-developing version (rather than the actually prepubescent version, which is considerably less common). And then sometimes they mix the two... hence 'oppai lolis' (ABOMINATION is more like it if you ask me).

If you look at their media you'd think they go either for mega-milk-monsters or lolis and nothing in-between, but then you look at the metrics (https://sd5uva.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pPcn1SXpDfNPAgERdga97_dp5Bj_Zd1fQUJ8fJFC7ck4PDyK TqcK33Za48mcf-0gR03mgRgEYowlEXJeDH5j6rq7jZM2e06Zdcb4OFsdQQG8/data_04.jpg?psid=1)(note: old chart, I didn't save the newer one) and realize that that's just what gets the most exposure for whatever reason.

The stylings used in anime and manga complicate matters further, with many artists choosing to go with a style that renders the characters more youthful, while others do just the opposite (or even go for a full-on realistic style with minor stylization - though this is usually reserved for seinen and the like). I imagine the more youthful-looking styles are what confuse people the most, with presumably adult characters looking more like high school or even middle-school students (and sometimes high school and middle school students looking like elementary schoolers - both Lucky Star and Mitsudomoe are notable in this regard). It doesn't help that their appearance can often have no correlation at all with their behavior (which also raises the question of whether or not it's their supposed age that matters, their physical appearance, or their mental and/or emotional maturity).

To put it in short... you can't trust what you see. Matoi's a fairly good example of that. She has a noticeable baby face but a very exaggerated figure, so it's not surprising that someone can get mixed signals out of that. But I would contend that there's really no reason to be uncomfortable about it. She's a fictional character. You're allowed to feel whatever you want about her. Not like she has any feelings on the matter.

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 02:46 AM
I think the issue here is the inconsistency within the same game. A lot of the examples of artistic age tend to go through the whole medium. The difference between Matoi and Ulk is pretty stark, so pointing out that matoi is OLDER really brings attention to how inconsitant the style of the characters is.

That said, it could be a lot worse and I knew a girl in college who looked like she was like... 14 even though she's the same age as me.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2014, 03:16 AM
I think the issue here is the inconsistency within the same game. A lot of the examples of artistic age tend to go through the whole medium. The difference between Matoi and Ulk is pretty stark, so pointing out that matoi is OLDER really brings attention to how inconsitant the style of the characters is.

That said, it could be a lot worse and I knew a girl in college who looked like she was like... 14 even though she's the same age as me.

this is one huge issue I have with the game.

It's inconsistencies in age art styles, basically what you're saying here.

In one instance, character's can look believable and realistic even short characters... (I can imagine kressidia as a short hipster chick or something.) And then you have these mutants whose face styles barely even match themselves. (Afin it like 7 feet tall but he has a shota face wtf.) Then you just have the straight up lolis like the girl that won't shut the hell up in XQ's. Height's, ages, artstyles, tropes/personalities, backstories.

It's kind of like they just wanted to make a melting pot of all anime styles. But if you ask me... I think only the mature looking characters fit... visually at least. Storywise it's just as big of a mess. And this wouldn't have to be a bad thing, I just don't like the way they handled it at all in any instance. <_>

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 03:19 AM
I'm pretty sure Afin is so tall because of his boots....

I seriously think it has to do with the fact that the baby face is so... bad though. A lot of the older (as in put in the game earlier) characters that are supposed to be "cute" have it, but they didn't manage a good animu face that actually looks good on characters over 4 feet tall until the most recent one. :I

IndignationSWF
Sep 7, 2014, 03:28 AM
this is one huge issue I have with the game.

It's inconsistencies in age art styles, basically what you're saying here.

In one instance, character's can look believable and realistic even short characters... (I can imagine kressidia as a short hipster chick or something.) And then you have these mutants whose face styles barely even match themselves. (Afin it like 7 feet tall but he has a shota face wtf.) Then you just have the straight up lolis like the girl that won't shut the hell up in XQ's. Height's, ages, artstyles, tropes/personalities, backstories.

It's kind of like they just wanted to make a melting pot of all anime styles. But if you ask me... I think only the mature looking characters fit... visually at least. Storywise it's just as big of a mess. And this wouldn't have to be a bad thing, I just don't like the way they handled it at all in any instance. <_>

They were trying to strike some odd balance between Original PSO2 and what's considered 'popular' in Current Japanese animation. The issue seems to be that the artistic team was torn on what parts to use where so we get characters trying(and failing mostly) to represent two or more archetypes.

My biggest disconnect is the one between the looks of some of the cast and their personalities. Matoi has an excuse(early on) with her Amnesia, but others(Zeno, I'm looking at you!) don't seem to match because their looks don't blend with their roles.

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 03:32 AM
My biggest disconnect is the one between the looks of some of the cast and their personalities. Matoi has an excuse(early on) with her Amnesia, but others(Zeno, I'm looking at you!) don't seem to match because their looks don't blend with their roles.Well I don't see how that would be a bad thing with how often character archetypes are so closely associated with specific unrelated physical traits (seriously Echo is the embodiment of the blond haired, twin pony-tailed, tsundere). But I also don't see what you mean... What do you think his personalty should be to fit the way he looks? ._.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2014, 03:37 AM
Isn't he just a battle hardened ash/that guy that could've been the hero we needed but not the one we deserved if he didn't suck or something?

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 03:39 AM
Isn't he just a battle hardened ash/that guy that could've been the hero we needed but not the one we deserved if he didn't suck or something?I wanna say Indignation is referring to how he's actually pretty level headed and despite having a scar, being pretty tall and having red hair. But I don't know so I asked. :U

UnLucky
Sep 7, 2014, 04:37 AM
Are we just going by the fact that Ulc has bigger tits, or am I missing something here? She doesn't look old.

If you look at their media you'd think they go either for mega-milk-monsters or lolis and nothing in-between, but then you look at the metrics (https://sd5uva.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pPcn1SXpDfNPAgERdga97_dp5Bj_Zd1fQUJ8fJFC7ck4PDyK TqcK33Za48mcf-0gR03mgRgEYowlEXJeDH5j6rq7jZM2e06Zdcb4OFsdQQG8/data_04.jpg?psid=1)(note: old chart, I didn't save the newer one) and realize that that's just what gets the most exposure for whatever reason.
Although it's still funny the intermediate sizes have to be lumped together in order to compare. The extremes are used just as much as everything else combined.

Also this:
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/uJ3F3Q3.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 04:49 AM
Are we just going by the fact that Ulc has bigger tits, or am I missing something here? She doesn't look old.She looks older than Matoi despite being 2 years younger which was the point. We then got into the discussion that the issue is the lack of coherence in the art direction of the characters, cultural differences, and Matoi being a moeblob.

saraishadow
Sep 7, 2014, 04:52 AM
People mature at different rates and some end up looking younger than others despite being older, it's quite common place in real life, why not in a game?

Kondibon
Sep 7, 2014, 04:57 AM
People mature at different rates and some end up looking younger than others despite being older, it's quite common place in real life, why not in a game?
Matoi doesn't just look younger, she looks like she was designed in an entirely different way, and she's honestly not the only character. The anime styled faces, even the ones that look good, just feel a bit out of place, as people noted before. Otherwise I'd agree.
I'm pretty sure they intentionally tried to go for the moe aesthetic with her. I'm just glad they're fleshing out her personality and that past Matoi was a super badass. Because that means she won't be delegated to Moeblob status forever. (in theory)

saraishadow
Sep 7, 2014, 08:49 AM
My guess is they used the different style faces on NPCs so that player characters that decide to use the more animeish faces wouldn't feel out of place.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 11:37 AM
Well, that wouldn't be terribly surprising.

It's really a shame that the newest face type wasn't in from the beginning tho, a lot of baby-faced NPCs could really have benefited from it.

Edit: You know, some of the discussion is a bit troubling from the perspective of anyone who actually has a baby face IRL. All these people reacting to Matoi's appearance as 'uncomforting'... imagine how a real person who follows the same pattern feels about that. It's not pleasant.

BIG OLAF
Sep 7, 2014, 11:48 AM
There's no real person on Earth that has an animu face. Matoi does not resemble any real human on the planet. Everyone I've ever seen in the physical world with a "baby face" looks nothing like her.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 11:50 AM
No shit, Sherlock. The game's stylization makes that obvious.

The sentiment is the same either way.

BIG OLAF
Sep 7, 2014, 11:52 AM
It's really not the same at all, actually.

TaigaUC
Sep 7, 2014, 12:03 PM
Her face is the real problem. She's always looked really creepy in-game.
Occasionally okay with nice lighting. But most of the time, really awful.
Her 2d art looks 999 times better.
All of the above usually applies to our characters' faces too.
Basically, super deformed or cutesy style faces don't really work well in low poly with dull lighting and generic shaders.

It's also kind of disturbing how this game has both realistic-ish faces and deformed faces.
I can't shake the feeling that the deform face people are dollfies or wearing a mask.
SEGA should pick a style and keep to it. The impression I get is they're not sure what they want to do with it.
Which kinda reminds me of how they said Bouncer was originally scrapped and Suganuma fixed it.
So they didn't really have anything else planned before that?

Back on topic, I'm not a fan of Matoi's new outfit design.
I generally don't like the heavy Japanese theme of episode 3.
I mean, Phantasy Star is kind of a galactic thing. We have new races, species, etc. Huge scale.
So, I find it difficult to accept that there's an entire planet of non-humans that copied Japan's architecture, clothing, style, etcetra and also happen to also look like Japanese mythical creatures.
Makes me feel like I'm playing a Samurai game or something.

The whole game kinda feels like a mishmash of "hey I think this would be kinda cool" or "people might like this" so "let's throw it in".
Which probably wouldn't be so bad if it didn't detract from the overall atmosphere and immersion.
Not that PSO2 had much to begin with, what with game advertisements on the screens, lack of environment progression (like PSO1 had), etc.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 12:17 PM
It's really not the same at all, actually.
If the point of contention is that she looks 'too young' because of her face, it is EXACTLY the same thing (it's not like you can make that same observation with her body being what it is).

If, on the other hand, the point of contention is that the face itself looks 'off' in some way, then that is different, but that's not the impression I'm getting from a number of posters.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2014, 03:42 PM
IF SOMEONE SAYS PHIL AND LIL FROM RUGRATS WERE 18 IT'S STILL GROSS AND WEIRD TO BEAT OFF TO THEM EVEN IF YOU GIVE LIL TITS.

/ted

gigawuts
Sep 7, 2014, 03:46 PM
inb4 "it's not the same"

SakoHaruo
The hell is y'all talking about? Matoi is the bestest in all forms. The new outfit is sexy as hell.

NoiseHERO

My reaction when people think busted oatmeal-faces are hot mission accomplished.

Walkure
Sep 7, 2014, 03:52 PM
My reaction when people think busted oatmeal-faces are hot mission accomplished.
Don't talk shit about my breakfast!

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 03:59 PM
IF SOMEONE SAYS PHIL AND LIL FROM RUGRATS WERE 18 IT'S STILL GROSS AND WEIRD TO BEAT OFF TO THEM EVEN IF YOU GIVE LIL TITS.

/ted

inb4 "it's not the same"
Well, it really isn't. Who the fuck would ever find Rugrats faces attractive to begin with?

(don't answer that)

(I really don't want to know)

UnLucky
Sep 7, 2014, 04:19 PM
But isn't that the entire point of All Grown Up...?

gigawuts
Sep 7, 2014, 04:19 PM
Well, it really isn't. Who the fuck would ever find Rugrats faces attractive to begin with?

(don't answer that)

(I really don't want to know)

The irony is palpable.

I am actually palpating the irony.

No lumps, so that's good.

saraishadow
Sep 7, 2014, 04:25 PM
I like Matoi's other outfits, it gave her a more innocent look (Besides the boob window on the first outfit), which I found to be more attractive, rather than the blatant fanservice outfit they put her in for episode 3.

Zyrusticae
Sep 7, 2014, 04:32 PM
The irony is palpable.

I am actually palpating the irony.

No lumps, so that's good.
I guess I need to point out that human attractiveness tends towards a specific average which includes a decent amount of neoteny, and that Rugrats are about as far away from that average as you're going to get.

Shirai
Sep 7, 2014, 04:54 PM
But isn't that the entire point of All Grown Up...?

whoever found those characters attractive even then is one sick poor soul

BIG OLAF
Sep 7, 2014, 05:22 PM
The hell is y'all talking about? Matoi is the bestest in all forms. The new outfit is sexy as hell.

Half correct. Her outfit is indeed sexy as hell.

Matoi, though, is thoroughly disgusting and should be burned alive.

the_importer_
Sep 7, 2014, 05:52 PM
Let's face it, most NPCs in this game look creepy. This is the problem when trying to make anime in 3D, it normally don't turn out so well. This is why I prefer cell shaded and why every game trying to keep an anime style should use it.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 7, 2014, 06:00 PM
Well, least Matoi will never be as ugly as fishface Marlu. I could have sworn back in OB that Marlu wasn't AS Bugly as she ended up being.

But yeah, Koffees the only purty one.

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2014, 06:36 PM
Let's face it, most NPCs in this game look creepy. This is the problem when trying to make anime in 3D, it normally don't turn out so well. This is why I prefer cell shaded and why every game trying to keep an anime style should use it.

Actually you can do it well.

SEGA didn't.

Being into lolis/young looking characters aside.

They just don't look good in this game.

A lot of people act like they do anyway.

They don't.

Sparzyle
Sep 7, 2014, 06:56 PM
I'm glad I saved this picture...

Dat artwork
http://i.imgur.com/DMrr88w.jpg

Enforcer MKV
Sep 7, 2014, 07:08 PM

I'unno, I find Ulc a lot more attractive than I've ever found Matoi. Her face especially is much more attractive to me.

Sanguine2009
Sep 7, 2014, 07:23 PM
apprentice is pretty cute, at least present time apprentice is....

Shear
Sep 7, 2014, 07:23 PM

Dat artwork
"cut picture due to space"

... well damn (saved)
In the Artwork she actually looks her age.

Rien
Sep 7, 2014, 08:02 PM

Dat artwork
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/DMrr88w.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Hmmm...

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/112/480/OpoQQ.jpg

Oh hey their expressions match[/SPOILER-BOX]

BubblyBoar
Sep 7, 2014, 08:09 PM
If the point of contention is that she looks 'too young' because of her face, it is EXACTLY the same thing (it's not like you can make that same observation with her body being what it is).

If, on the other hand, the point of contention is that the face itself looks 'off' in some way, then that is different, but that's not the impression I'm getting from a number of posters.

I think the problem is her face. Not that it's too young, it just looks weird. It's an uncanny valley sort of thing. Something is off, and it bothers them, but they can't put into words what that thing is. So the best they can do is "she looks too young." That isn't the actual problem, but the best way they can describe it. So no, it is not the same thing. That is the exact impression I'm getting from the majority of the posts here.

the_importer_
Sep 7, 2014, 08:38 PM
Actually you can do it well.

SEGA didn't.

Being into lolis/young looking characters aside.

They just don't look good in this game.

A lot of people act like they do anyway.

They don't.

I've never seen any that looked great. Got any pics?

mctastee
Sep 7, 2014, 08:45 PM
I like Matoi's other outfits, it gave her a more innocent look (Besides the boob window on the first outfit), which I found to be more attractive, rather than the blatant fanservice outfit they put her in for episode 3.

Yea, I find her new outfit ridiculous. At that point why not giver her a full on midriff?

NoiseHERO
Sep 7, 2014, 10:28 PM
I've never seen any that looked great. Got any pics?

I don't, I'm just goin' on generic anime anything...

But if you want some lucky star tier that looks good in 3D nah u came to wrong dude.

But looks way worse in PSO2.

Zyrusticae
Sep 8, 2014, 12:39 AM
I think the problem is her face. Not that it's too young, it just looks weird. It's an uncanny valley sort of thing. Something is off, and it bothers them, but they can't put into words what that thing is. So the best they can do is "she looks too young." That isn't the actual problem, but the best way they can describe it. So no, it is not the same thing. That is the exact impression I'm getting from the majority of the posts here.
WELL OKAY THEN. That's pretty obvious now looking at the artwork...

Dat artwork
[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/DMrr88w.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Yup, she looks a thousand times better in the artwork than in-game.

The weird thing is that the differences are actually quite subtle, but they really add up. The nonexistent bridge of her nose, the slight curvature of her eyes, the shading of the skin... hmmm.

Hell, she might look a lot better just by improving the skin shading alone. The basic skin shader they have now is really not very great for any of the faces.

Kondibon
Sep 8, 2014, 12:48 AM
Hell, she might look a lot better just by improving the skin shading alone. The basic skin shader they have now is really not very great for any of the faces.
I think the entire game could be improved by better shaders. Even without going into the fidelity vs style argument, better shaders would do nothing but help them nail down the aesthetic they're going for, and that you see in a lot of the art work.

I think the problem is her face. Not that it's too young, it just looks weird. It's an uncanny valley sort of thing. Something is off, and it bothers them, but they can't put into words what that thing is. So the best they can do is "she looks too young." That isn't the actual problem, but the best way they can describe it. So no, it is not the same thing. That is the exact impression I'm getting from the majority of the posts here.Meant to respond to this too.

I at least, stand by what I said about her looking young. Do I think that's what's wrong with her, no, but you can't deny that she looks younger than ulk. The problem is that the REASON she looks younger is because sega is inconsistent about how the characters are portrayed ingame combined with all the stuff you said. Unfortunately there's no art of Ulc to compare. :/

Miyuki_Kamiko
Sep 8, 2014, 01:13 AM
you know theres a beauty salon that lets you change your image who says the NPCS don't use this when they start to look to old excluding Dudu

they are in the future thousands of years

EspeonageTieler
Sep 8, 2014, 05:31 AM
i was actully wondering why it doenst look liek shes aged in 10 years at all but xeno has....tho i havent finished matter board 17 yet maybe its explained but probably not

Miyuki_Kamiko
Sep 8, 2014, 05:43 AM
ill be serious and answer your question Sega and Most gaming companies don't actually put much thought into there NPC appearances they usually design a NPC then make a story to said char regardless of age

also while that answer was kinda generalised but true
Sega is extremely Lazy and almost never make it look like characters age
in otherwords the whole ageing thing is just an after thought

Achelousaurus
Sep 8, 2014, 08:00 AM
There are more than enough 18-20 years olds that look like 13-14 and do porn.
Matoi could easily be 18 from her looks.

EspeonageTieler
Sep 8, 2014, 09:45 PM
There are more than enough 18-20 years olds that look like 13-14 and do porn.
Matoi could easily be 18 from her looks.

yea but does it even matter her age whats the legal age for arks anyway and she has to be over 18 anyway seeing as she looked 15-16 (in my eyes anyway) 10 years ago theres no fucking way she was 8 or under

saraishadow
Sep 8, 2014, 09:48 PM
She got time warped by Xion

Scarlet-Star
Sep 9, 2014, 06:39 AM

I take it when you run into a childlike adult female you yell at her for wearing something revealing? Listen, she has a loli figure, just close your trap... and deal with it. It's something I find people get bothered over waaaaay too much.

She's 18, she's legal, she's fine.

EP3 look makes me want to gag.

EspeonageTieler
Sep 9, 2014, 06:58 AM
I take it when you run into a childlike adult female you yell at her for wearing something revealing? Listen, she has a loli figure, just close your trap... and deal with it. It's something I find people get bothered over waaaaay too much.

EP3 look makes me want to gag.

some people also forget that the age that makes someone legal is different depending on time and place

ShadowDragon28
Sep 9, 2014, 08:05 AM
wow.. this whole thread.. just.. wow.
http://media.giphy.com/media/ftXvsSyRzKXXG/giphy.gif

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2014, 08:23 AM

There's an inherent difference between a person in real life, who, for the most part, doesn't have complete control over how they look versus a video game character which is designed to appeal, more often than not, to a specific demographic.

Futhermore, I never actually said I have a problem with the character, just that I was surprised that Ulc looks older than Matoi only to find out that Matoi is in fact older. Matoi is fine, I still like Ulc more though. And not in a sexual context, dammit Kondi! (╯ಠ□ಠ)╯

So....good job attacking someone and accusing them of something they didn't actually do, I suppose?

And when the hell are people going to realize the comment wasn't even a completely serious remark. >_>#

NoiseHERO
Sep 9, 2014, 08:29 AM
Lol we already covered all the stupid points. <_<;;

This topic is just restarting.

CelestialBlade
Sep 9, 2014, 08:37 AM
Guys.

It's a bunch of fucking polygons.

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2014, 08:40 AM
Guys.

It's a bunch of fucking polygons.

Thank you.

Kondibon
Sep 9, 2014, 08:53 AM
Guys.

It's a bunch of fucking polygons.People aren't allowed to discuss what they like and dislike about the design decisions in a game?

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2014, 08:54 AM
People aren't allowed to discuss what they like and dislike about the design decisions in a game?

Discussion is fine. Attacks not so much.

gigawuts
Sep 9, 2014, 08:56 AM
I still like Ulc more though. And not in a sexual context, dammit Kondi! (╯ಠ□ಠ)╯

I like Ulc in a sexual way ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Kondibon
Sep 9, 2014, 09:06 AM
Discussion is fine. Attacks not so much.
What does that have to do with CelestialBlade said?

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2014, 09:27 AM
What does that have to do with CelestialBlade said?

The fact that some people are fine for attacking others over a difference in opinion over polygons...

Kondibon
Sep 9, 2014, 09:30 AM
The fact that some people are fine for attacking others over a difference in opinion over polygons...I think CelestialBlade's comment was directed at everyone in the conversation period...

Enforcer MKV
Sep 9, 2014, 10:10 AM
I think CelestialBlade's comment was directed at everyone in the conversation period...

Maybe, maybe not. No way to know that for sure unless she decides to come back and elaborate, though.

I like Ulc in a sexual way ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also; Dammit Giga, I called dibs ages ago. :l

saraishadow
Sep 9, 2014, 10:40 AM
*Hijacks thread and steers it back on course*

If they added some armor that covered up her stomach her outfit would be awesome. It's the fact that it shows too much that's off-putting. As for the hair, imo there was no need to change it

CelestialBlade
Sep 9, 2014, 10:52 AM
I think CelestialBlade's comment was directed at everyone in the conversation period...
I just don't understand how we've hit this many pages largely discussing/arguing the apparent "age" of a video game character. It's kind of hilarious/creepy. Nothing else in the topic is weird to me (her outfit is awesome, there I contributed).

Alenoir
Sep 9, 2014, 11:17 AM
As for the hair, imo there was no need to change it

Hair style change usually means a significant turning point in life for that particular character, like when they make some kind of resolution and whatnot. It's a not a rare trope in anime and game.

Cyron Tanryoku
Sep 9, 2014, 01:48 PM
her outfit is awesome.
but its not

nothing about pso2 is awesome

:c

CelestialBlade
Sep 9, 2014, 02:08 PM
but its not

nothing about pso2 is awesome

:c
It would be if it were outside of PSO2 :(

Zorafim
Sep 9, 2014, 02:50 PM

Finally, somebody posted a picture. Now what's all this talk abo-
HOLY JESUS WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

gigawuts
Sep 9, 2014, 02:52 PM
Finally, somebody posted a picture. Now what's all this talk abo-
HOLY JESUS WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

ikr

and people are attracted to that thing

The Walrus
Sep 9, 2014, 02:56 PM
LEAVE MATOI ALONE!

CHARACTERS IN GAMES HAVE FEELINGS TOO ;_;

she looks better in the art, and if the cutout in the top wasn't so stupid looking

IndigoNovember
Sep 9, 2014, 03:13 PM
http://i58.tinypic.com/2sb3i46.jpg

(;・∀・) ?

Nitro Vordex
Sep 9, 2014, 04:02 PM
hahaha you people are still going on about this

Hair doesn't really look that bad. That costume though.

...What if the cutout where her belly is, is the real costume? And what she's wearing was just the scrap?

EspeonageTieler
Sep 9, 2014, 05:14 PM
i honestly dont get why everyone thinks its bad lol

The Walrus
Sep 9, 2014, 05:57 PM
because the cutout looks stupid

CelestialBlade
Sep 9, 2014, 06:22 PM
Oh noes boobs and stomach

What's next, shoulder cutouts????

BIG OLAF
Sep 9, 2014, 06:29 PM
Belly cutouts are pretty much the sexiest things on outfits. Even moreso than cleavage.

Actually, no, the sexiest thing is lack of shoes, but belly cutouts are a close second.

The Walrus
Sep 9, 2014, 06:50 PM
Oh noes boobs and stomach

What's next, shoulder cutouts????

That's not the issue. I just feel it looks odd and out of place for the outfit.

UnLucky
Sep 9, 2014, 07:12 PM
I hate the navels in this game. They're so pointy. Like someone snagged em with a fishhook or somethin

Kondibon
Sep 9, 2014, 07:15 PM
It looks gaudy, but... so do a lot of other outfits in the game so I don't see the issue with Matoi's specifically.

Zyrusticae
Sep 9, 2014, 08:49 PM
I hate the navels in this game. They're so pointy. Like someone snagged em with a fishhook or somethin
Yeah, the texture mapping there has always been really off.

Honestly, the character models could use some work. They have some nice texture work but geometry-wise and shader-wise... blehhh.

I mean, golly, imagine if the body models had the quality of FFXIV's (https://in4hkg.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pDc1JkfRt64Y24OZGd9QQjp0Ca7PSc-LyJNS22HtKE_AJJ9NgwisQ9An6NwzF2YZUipIZPz4wPNGSXpez mm9AfYKCXQCPsdpAxLKg-nCP83E/ffxiv.exe_DX9_20140902_005950.jpg?psid=1)...