PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 「Ask for your cooperation and survey about the server load」

Sp-24
Sep 22, 2014, 07:41 AM
Heaviest lag spikes during EQs that we have grown used to over the years are actually being looked into, and Sega is planning to implement some measures to deal with them (http://pso2.jp/players/news/?id=4493) (Player's Site link, gaijin not welcome).

First step: add more lag. That is, they are going to reconfigure the game servers to monitor the causes of the heavy load that makes it lag so much. The side effect of those special configurations is that the game may appear more laggy. Sega specifically stresses that those measures can't damage your play data, but they make no mention of the safety of your hard drive. They also plan to run a survey of some sort and to compensate you for participating in it, so get ready for those Triboost+50% and Half Doll.

Thoughts? Will the solution be an IP ban?

Maenara
Sep 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
You're not even trying to be subtle anymore.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 22, 2014, 07:47 AM
The solution is ALWAYS IP Ban. I'm already drying my tears tbh.

Also top thread.

Hexxy
Sep 22, 2014, 09:21 AM
If they were to ban the entire jp aws datacenter... well I'd certainly be impressed.

It generally feels like they're trying to run the game on a Packard Bell 33mhz, not just during EQ's, althought EQ's is when it's so bad I feel like pounding my genitals with a ball-peen hammer.

Laxedrane
Sep 22, 2014, 09:32 AM
As a business it make more sense for them to ban everyone who's never spent AC then ban everyone that connects outside of japan.

Just saiyin.

DrCatco
Sep 22, 2014, 10:36 AM
Heh. They'll add a window like on those download sites, that says "Please wait 20 seconds to be accepted in the quest" or something like that.

As a business it make more sense for them to ban everyone who's never spent AC then ban everyone that connects outside of japan.

Just saiyin.

Wat? SEGA banning potential, future foreign consumers? Inconceivable!

May0
Sep 22, 2014, 10:46 AM

Just saiyin.

Banning is a bit of a stretch. Usually banning is reserved for removing problematic players from a game. They'll let people steal your IGN before they outright ban your account for inactivity/not paying for premium. It's more plausible and less of a stretch to see them artificially inflate login ques or make less room available to free to play folks..

Better buy that premium so you can login and play.

Then again I'm only playing WoT nowadays so what do I know. :-P

Laxedrane
Sep 22, 2014, 10:53 AM
I was only trying to be as over the top as someone instantly going to IP bans for foreigners that play the game to relieve server stress.XD

Vampy
Sep 22, 2014, 10:58 AM
pretty sure having foreign players does not add that much more server stress than if you lived in japan I personally think they did not anticipate pso2 getting so big so fast and have the servers handle that kind of load.

strikerhunter
Sep 22, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thoughts? Will the solution be an IP ban?

IP ban would still not do a thing on the lag issues.

Aurorra
Sep 22, 2014, 11:26 AM
Heh. They'll add a window like on those download sites, that says "Please wait 20 seconds to be accepted in the quest" or something like that.

Inc Japanese captchas to accept any quest.

Ordy
Sep 22, 2014, 11:29 AM
Accessories #1 lag source.

4th accessory slot for EP3, sudden lag. Coincidence? ... I don't think so! Moe network congestion.

Hexxy
Sep 22, 2014, 11:33 AM
Do you think they'll finally discover that there is actually nothing wrong with the server and it's really just their trashy coding?

the_importer_
Sep 22, 2014, 11:41 AM

4th accessory slot for EP3, sudden lag. Coincidence? ... I don't think so! Moe network congestion.

I'll piss my pants if that's the problem.

Manta Oyamada
Sep 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
SEGA has fully taken aware of the extraordinary phenomenon of the servers having a heavy traffic of data in which causes to a massive lag spike on some certain areas of the game especially during Emergency Quests.

SEGA will continue to conduct surveys about this matter and the development team will set some temporary special server settings but this temporary implementation may still cause heavy traffic for the time being.

A follow up report about this matter will be posted again on the official PSO2 JP Website and SEGA would like to apologize in regards this problem have been causing lately.

SEGA is also considering a some sort of compensation to be distributed in the near future as soon as they could fix the problem. A fill-in survey open to all PSO2 players to be made available for further help solve the problem somewhere in the future.

by Junko

Rien
Sep 22, 2014, 12:21 PM
Someone beat you to it (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221948)

TauAkiou
Sep 22, 2014, 12:44 PM
I'm sticking by my speculation that some of the lag is being caused by their 'newly configured ddos protection' and the added network bloat that is going with it.

I can't help but think that the lag wasn't nearly as bad before the DDOS, but after they got everything up and working again, the lag has suddenly become a massive issue. Increased load from Episode 3 isn't helping.

If they were to ban the entire jp aws datacenter... well I'd certainly be impressed.

To ban the entire AWS datacenter, they would just have to IP ban all non-Japanese IP addresses. AWS addresses aren't actually Japanese IP addresses at all. (Mine is in the 54.64.*.* range, which is actually situated in Seattle. Do a whois on your AWS IP address and you'll see what I mean.)

Maybe some good will come from this: SEGA will switch from Yahoo to NTT or Amazon and the routing issues will be gone. More then likely, though, they'll look into it and upgrade the servers or something.

TaigaUC
Sep 22, 2014, 01:16 PM
There probably wouldn't be as much lag if they didn't keep creating "focused" events like timed EQs and single day/few hour boosts.

Then people would play at their leisure instead of crowding together at specific times.
And the game would be more fun overall.
Well, assuming they can come up with adequately attractive gameplay modes to counter the removal of temporary incentives.

HeyItsTHK
Sep 22, 2014, 01:35 PM
The lag is pretty much a sudden rush of players logging for anything scheduled and that's when it all goes to pot. I can pretty much tell when something is coming without checking the schedule or asking PSO2es players when the lobby just starts getting super crowded (and I don't hang on the "fairly full but people mostly idling" block. Also when it happens to be a base defense and multiple instances open their loot crystals at roughly around the same time.

UnLucky
Sep 22, 2014, 01:43 PM

Just saiyin.
What PSOW actually believes

n_n
Sep 22, 2014, 01:55 PM
Will the solution be an IP ban?
I would hope not as it would not fix the lag due to the fact that foreigners are probably less than 7~10% of the whole PSO2 community.

SEGA should just consider getting better servers.

xxmadplayerxx
Sep 22, 2014, 02:50 PM
Lol its funny how they say its a extraordinary phenomenon, But good news to know that they are aware of the lag.

NoiseHERO
Sep 22, 2014, 02:54 PM
Huh... interesting so-

I will jackslap you.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Sep 22, 2014, 03:15 PM
they will continue to observe this and do nothing but observe
they need more servers and that will cost them money there not willing to pay
it's simple really all you have to do is look at MMOS when they first start up and you will see these exact problems
to many players for the servers to handle

but when you have unintelligent people who are on drugs running a server this is what you get

TaigaUC
Sep 22, 2014, 03:48 PM
It's kinda easy to forget that the ship we're playing on isn't the only ship.
The lag seems to be everywhere. And most foreigners are on Ship 2.

Banning foreigners on Ship 2 won't fix the lag on Ships 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, whatever.
So IP banning foreigners obviously isn't the solution and we shouldn't be worried about that.
Unless they're really that stupid.

It's like I said, the lag is because they encourage people to lag the servers.
They could fix it by not dripfeeding us crap, but that's not going to happen.

yoshiblue
Sep 22, 2014, 04:00 PM
Then again I'm only playing WoT nowadays so what do I know. :-P

How about that M3 Lee?

BIG OLAF
Sep 22, 2014, 05:02 PM
Something that happens every few hours is hardly an 'extraordinary phenomenon', but I have a feeling that was some Google Translate phrasing.

DamonKatu
Sep 22, 2014, 05:10 PM
IP ban would still not do a thing on the lag issues.

Not only that, but they would lose A HUGE chunk of profit. Both from Sega and even rival Ip because if they cannot connect though, they'll choose another IP and lose customers.

The Walrus
Sep 22, 2014, 05:12 PM
Not only that, but they would lose A HUGE chunk of profit.

No they wouldn't.

lunarsoul
Sep 22, 2014, 05:37 PM
I would hope not as it would not fix the lag due to the fact that foreigners are probably less than 7~10% of the whole PSO2 community.

SEGA should just consider getting better servers.

SEGA: "Nah we will just go for the IP Ban. Later lagging Gaijins!"

Maenara
Sep 22, 2014, 05:40 PM
I hope we all get region blocked just so you guys stop acting like it's a legitimate concern at every turn.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 22, 2014, 05:53 PM
It is a legitimate concern, what with the massive amount of problems the English playing community bring.

Maenara
Sep 22, 2014, 06:00 PM
Go ahead and list them then.

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 22, 2014, 06:07 PM
Go ahead and list them then.

Impossible :wacko:

Sizustar
Sep 22, 2014, 06:10 PM
It is a legitimate concern, what with the massive amount of problems the English playing community bring.

What problem?

Maenara
Sep 22, 2014, 06:12 PM
It's impossible because there are no problems foreigners uniquely bring except one: Language barriers.

Jyasupa
Sep 22, 2014, 06:14 PM
It's impossible because there are no problems foreigners uniquely bring except one: Language barriers.

y NA liek to chet n heck

Maenara
Sep 22, 2014, 06:17 PM
Wow sounds like a problem caused by human nature rather than international server connections

Jyasupa
Sep 22, 2014, 06:18 PM
Wow sounds like a problem caused by human nature rather than international server connections

only gaijin hack

my jp frien told me so

Jaqlou Swig KING
Sep 22, 2014, 06:20 PM
What problem?

None.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Sep 22, 2014, 06:28 PM
the solution is so simple that it's litterally right in front of there faces but people are to blind to see it

if to many people are on making the servers lag then you Need More servers
Sega that would cost us money
Me but that would solve your problems and open the door to future customers
Sega no we would lose money
Me you'll lose customers because of the lag
Sega well fix the lag though we have no more information we can give you at this time
Me typical response for a company that doesn't want to actually work
Sega we will compensate you
me more useless boosts

elryan
Sep 22, 2014, 07:06 PM
From my sole observations, EQ lag only occurs in hyper-congested blocks (AKA blocks with premium space filled completely or almost completely)

They should just disable premium space in blocks to mitigate this.

EDIT: word.

BIG OLAF
Sep 22, 2014, 07:06 PM
the solution is so simple that it's litterally right in front of there faces but people are to blind to see it

if to many people are on making the servers lag then you Need More servers
Sega that would cost us money
Me but that would solve your problems and open the door to future customers
Sega no we would lose money
Me you'll lose customers because of the lag
Sega well fix the lag though we have no more information we can give you at this time
Me typical response for a company that doesn't want to actually work
Sega we will compensate you
me more useless boosts

What?

n_n
Sep 22, 2014, 07:17 PM
Not only that, but they would lose A HUGE chunk of profit..
Nope, because a lot of foreigners on this game are worthless leechers who feel like if the game is "f2p", they don't need to spend a penny on it -- just look at ship2 b20; most are nonpremium/never been premium ever and don't plan on ever getting it because the game is "f2p."

Seriously, if SEGA banned all of us, they would not notice any "cut" at all in their profits and they would be making the JP community (their targeted audience in case you didn't know) happy since a lot of trouble/drama/hacking is from our side. >_>

So really, no loss and they'd make everyone who mattered happy.

Also,

[...] foreigners are probably less than 7~10% of the whole PSO2 community

Misaki Ki
Sep 22, 2014, 08:17 PM
Watch it be something silly like chairs again.

[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/bK5Dw/52cfbf5599.jpg[/spoiler-box]

wefwq
Sep 22, 2014, 08:20 PM
Nope, because a lot of foreigners on this game are worthless leechers who feel like if the game is "f2p", they don't need to spend a penny on it -- just look at ship2 b20; most are nonpremium/never been premium ever and don't plan on ever getting it because the game is "f2p."

Seriously, if SEGA banned all of us, they would not notice any "cut" at all in their profits and they would be making the JP community (their targeted audience in case you didn't know) happy since a lot of trouble/drama/hacking is from our side. >_>

So really, no loss and they'd make everyone who mattered happy.

Also,

Who do you think one that bought all of those AC items that those glorious nippon put in their cash shop?

Gama
Sep 22, 2014, 08:30 PM
So we are doing this again.

i wonder if people are freaking out again.

Edson Drake
Sep 23, 2014, 01:02 AM
I don't think the IP ban(or an "agreement" with Amazon) is impossible, as long as it's proven to be the cause of the lags.

In most games that actually let you see your ping(and other players'), you can notice a lag as soon as you group with high ping players, the performance of the matches are terrible with those, as the overall ping is averaged to the highest.

Right after the DDoS I jumped into AWS and gameplay was very smooth with all being empty blocks, but that was expected. Even while playing at JP peak time, my gameplay was very smooth, no lag at all, smoother than it was before I was using the AWS even.

Then people started massively using VPNs and the AWS method too, there was lag everywhere, terrible performance around western players, average around the japanese. I got very wary of playing with all-westerners MPAs for this reason. It always seemed that playing with japanese-only MPAs was the way to go.

But then, people on other ships are having the issues too, making my theory unfounded. I have no clue about what's going on, so the DDoS protection theory(that it is the cause) may not be that far-fetched after all. Who knows?

strikerhunter
Sep 23, 2014, 01:18 AM
So the moment that Sega says they are looking into something that players been asking for, which is the server lags, everyone starts crying out it's the end of the world IP ban again.

Is there even a server related issue were people do not cry out an IP ban?

From my sole observations, EQ lag only occurs in hyper-congested blocks (AKA blocks with premium space filled completely or almost completely)

They should just disable premium space in blocks to mitigate this.

EDIT: word.

In my own experience, during EQ hours it only happens to me when I'm in the lobby or in an EQ but never when I'm out doing other stuffs while an EQ is up during busy hours even if I'm in a full prem block.

Ceresa
Sep 23, 2014, 01:25 AM
I never experience lag on full blocks, outside of crystal breaks during TD, but those are actually relatively minor and only delay a wave by a few seconds and haven't stopped me from getting 3 runs with randoms in a long time. Izanai and TD3 in particular have tons and tons of shit going on, but it's smooth despite being the missions where you'd expect the lag to be.

On the other hand, block 4 (the goddamn normal block that doesn't even fill up) during Falz after first Arms/fourth Apos is a fucking nightmare from all the people exiting/entering the block. Any block 11~15 after first Elder/Luther dies and people rush in for the second run results in a minute long load, and another minute of staring at a block with no npcs before you can start a mission. And my first Elder/Luther kills are never laggy, can usually expect a spike or worse during the subsequent kills though as other people come in the block looking for their next run.

Running arms for experience, if you're late cause you were finishing up some mission or were running normal arms on other chars, if you go to like, block 17 or 22 or whatever the last still filling up block is, you can expect lag throughout your runs until it's full as people keep coming in, while if you manage to squeeze into 13ish, which would mostly be filled with people running their only character and not leaving, runs are actually pretty smooth.

tl;dr pretty sure the lag is caused by people joining blocks en masse. Which could be related to ep3 lobby, 4th accessory, ddos measures, who knows.

strikerhunter
Sep 23, 2014, 01:34 AM
tl;dr pretty sure the lag is caused by people joining blocks en masse. Which could be related to ep3 lobby, 4th accessory, ddos measures, who knows.

Honestly I feel like its the massive number of loading during EQs that's causing the lag, especially during scheduled ones and most noticeably during Falz/Luther EQs. Somewhat during TDs but I don't get the lag until around the 12-16 mark and 26-30 minute mark and you can probably guess why.

From log-ins to character changing to block switching/attempts by the mass without a doubt creates stress on the server.

Selphea
Sep 23, 2014, 06:31 AM
Looks like they started doing the reconfiguration. Having serious connection issues today - lagged out warping to My Room and twice in an Advance Quest.

The worst one though is when Loser died and I lagged out :/

landman
Sep 23, 2014, 07:08 AM
The servers have a limit of people to enter. Even at full, the server should handle the limit they were meant to handle, so no, the solution is not more ships, when some ships have a far smaller population. If you make a character on a ship that's full on prime time, you either have to wait or make a character on another ship.

Rien
Sep 23, 2014, 07:35 AM
Reallocate less populated ship servers to more populated ships

Sp-24
Sep 23, 2014, 08:12 AM
Reallocate less populated ship servers to more populated ships
For free? Are you insane?

landman
Sep 23, 2014, 08:26 AM
It's not a solution either, less populated ships have lag too, so this is not the source of the problem.

DJcooltrainer
Sep 23, 2014, 08:49 AM
The real solution here would be for Sega to hire a competent network engineer. We'll see if that ever happens. I wouldn't bet on it.

I think the servers have been a lot more populated since the release of EP3. I think the playerbase will die off a bit more when people get bored of the EP3 content and whatnot. Maybe.

Hexxy
Sep 23, 2014, 09:46 AM
The real solution here would be for Sega to hire a competent network engineer. We'll see if that ever happens. I wouldn't bet on it.

I think the servers have been a lot more populated since the release of EP3. I think the playerbase will die off a bit more when people get bored of the EP3 content and whatnot. Maybe.

New field next month will keep the population from dwindling too severely. And then Ultimate the month after that will probably cause player activity to skyrocket again. So really Sega needs to fix this before that happens.

Vetur
Sep 23, 2014, 06:22 PM
It's kinda easy to forget that the ship we're playing on isn't the only ship.
The lag seems to be everywhere. And most foreigners are on Ship 2.

Banning foreigners on Ship 2 won't fix the lag on Ships 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, whatever.
So IP banning foreigners obviously isn't the solution and we shouldn't be worried about that.
Unless they're really that stupid.

It's like I said, the lag is because they encourage people to lag the servers.
They could fix it by not dripfeeding us crap, but that's not going to happen.

This. I am on ship 9 and we get lag too, despite the low population of English players vs. Japanese players. Banning people just because they think the population is too high is already really bad for their business.