PDA

View Full Version : Which translation is better for you ?

Pianica
Sep 25, 2014, 07:41 AM
fan-made patch or SEA version ? (I'm a JP player in ship2)

*This is sample case. If you know any other case, (e.g. class, weapon, character name etc.....)Please tell me and Let's talk about this. (I study about fan translation. )

(fan-made patch) Subdue Za Oodan
Naberius' formerly peaceful Oodan popuration has suddenly become violent, particularly the Za Oodan.
Protect the ecosystem by suppressing the berserk Za Oodan!

(SEA version) Zawoodan Subdual
Reports have come in that native species on the planet Naberius have turned violent.
The commonly-seen Woodan creatures, especially the Zawoodan subspecies, have become particularly aggressive.
Defeat the Zawoodans to preserve the ecosystem.

(日本語)ザウーダン討伐
惑星ナベリウスに居住する原生種の凶暴性が増しているとの報告があった。
原生種として多く見かけるウーダン特に、その亜種であるザウーダンの凶暴化が顕著である。
生態系を維持するため、凶暴化したザウーダンの撃退を依頼する。

Natsu Nem
Sep 25, 2014, 08:24 AM
I prefer fan translation a lot more. SEA has a few decent translations but horribly butcher others.

ゲッテムハルト
[SPOILER-BOX]Fan Translated
Gettemhart

SEA
Guntram[/SPOILER-BOX]

バンサ・オング
Banther Ong

SEA
Banse Ang[/SPOILER-BOX]

フォース
Force

SEA
Wizard[/SPOILER-BOX]

ブレイバー
Braver

SEA
Samurai[/SPOILER-BOX]

プレディカーダ
Predicahda

SEA
Bredicarda

...Breadicarda?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/mVEQl9w.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

Z-0
Sep 25, 2014, 08:26 AM
I think there needs to be some distinguishing. Everyone hates the SEA translations because of the names it uses for terminology, but the translation itself (tooltips, chatter text, etc) seems extremely top-notch with hardly any faults.

I haven't really looked into it much though, don't care.

Lumpen Thingy
Sep 25, 2014, 08:33 AM
SEA version sucks balls

LotusFX
Sep 25, 2014, 08:46 AM
プレディカーダ
Predicahda

SEA
Bredicarda

...Breadicarda?
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/mVEQl9w.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX][/SPOILER-BOX]

This always gets me.

saffron
Sep 25, 2014, 08:47 AM
For the instance you give, SEA is more correct.
The fan translation is more of a summary, while the SEA one is a lot more accurate.

Sizustar
Sep 25, 2014, 08:57 AM
Tunnel = Underwork
Caluldren = Volcano

Rien
Sep 25, 2014, 09:09 AM
Technic = magic
and Force = wizard

are the ones that put me off the most.

landman
Sep 25, 2014, 10:14 AM
fan-made patch or SEA version ? (I'm a JP player in ship2)

*This is sample case. If you know any other case, (e.g. class, weapon, character name etc.....)Please tell me and Let's talk about this. (I study about fan translation. )

(fan-made patch) Subdue Za Oodan
Naberius' formerly peaceful Oodan popuration has suddenly become violent, particularly the Za Oodan.
Protect the ecosystem by suppressing the berserk Za Oodan!

(SEA version) Zawoodan Subdual
Reports have come in that native species on the planet Naberius have turned violent.
The commonly-seen Woodan creatures, especially the Zawoodan subspecies, have become particularly aggressive.
Defeat the Zawoodans to preserve the ecosystem.

(日本語)ザウーダン討伐
惑星ナベリウスに居住する原生種の凶暴性が増しているとの報告があった。
原生種として多く見かけるウーダン特に、その亜種であるザウーダンの凶暴化が顕著である。
生態系を維持するため、凶暴化したザウーダンの撃退を依頼する。

From that text, I prefer the SEA, and having played both servers, there are some good and bad things from both. For example, in story mode, fan translations will sometimes be more accurate, while official translation will be more literate and properly localized (in all the meanings), but I've also encountered some "lost in translation" in SEA (hearing the japanese audio makes it very obvious). The patch has a lot of mistakes, and we should all collaborate on fixing them, but sometimes you take a screenshot and then realize you had it configured to make clean shots without texts :wacko: also, not everyone is native English speaker to know for sure what's the best correction.

Ordy
Sep 25, 2014, 10:36 AM
Tunnel = Underwork
Caluldren = Volcano

Oooh, that's where the crappy units potential menu translation is coming from.

DJcooltrainer
Sep 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
I prefer the fan-made translation, just because the names are closer to the original Japanese names and terminology.

That, and for some reason calling a Force "wizard" just sounds wrong to me. Sounds too fantasy, and not enough sci-fi.

TaigaUC
Sep 25, 2014, 01:35 PM
I think there needs to be some distinguishing. Everyone hates the SEA translations because of the names it uses for terminology, but the translation itself (tooltips, chatter text, etc) seems extremely top-notch with hardly any faults.

I haven't really looked into it much though, don't care.

This.

SEA's non-butchered translations are more accurate to the original.
That's how I'd translate the text.

Sp-24
Sep 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
I prefer the fan-made translation, just because the names are closer to the original Japanese names and terminology.
Shironia wants to have a word with you.

arnd
Sep 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
The thing worth remembering about the "SEA translation" is that most of it is actually official SEGA translation which was intended to be used for overseas version of PSO2 before it got infinitely delayed/cancelled. Character names aside, it's pretty easy to distinguish between content which SEGA provided to Asiasoft and content which they were translating on their own (wizards and samurai fall into the latter, for example). And area names, like it or not, are very much official - soundtrack release made it clear long before SEA PSO2 was a thing.

I also like "Lost Sea", "Urban District", "Underworks", "Skyscape" more than literal translations from the fan patch, but that's the part which is bound to be subjective.

landman
Sep 25, 2014, 01:47 PM
And Arkuma, or whatever the English patch has named it.

DJcooltrainer
Sep 25, 2014, 01:59 PM

Yes, but look at things overall. There are small things I sort of don't agree with in the fan-made patch, but I still much prefer it to the official translation.

Sure, you can find a few things you might not agree with in the fan-made translation, but I'm sure you could find quite a few more in the SEA's translation.

Takatsuki
Sep 25, 2014, 02:22 PM

I assume White Territory is too long to fit.

infiniteeverlasting
Sep 25, 2014, 02:37 PM
SEA version sucks balls

this^
no one should ever touch SEA, it's dumb people even consider playing on that shit server.

Zellith
Sep 26, 2014, 03:38 AM
this^
no one should ever touch SEA, it's dumb people even consider playing on that shit server.

while I did consider migrating to SEA servers before but found out it actually Asiasoft managing the servers, well.... you can guess my decision.

EspeonageTieler
Sep 26, 2014, 04:34 AM
kek sub dual............

Pianica
Oct 2, 2014, 07:27 AM
*This is another sample. (Dinia edge)

(原文)
アムドゥスキア原生の龍族が持つ大きな剣を回収し、使用できるように改良を加えた、生体的な大 剣。
(MODによる英語版)
A large sword retrieved from the grasp of one of Amduscia's native Dragonkin. An organic sword improved to make it fit for use.
(アジア版)
A living sword created by modifying those recovered from the native dragorii of Amduskia for ARKS use.

It seems fan made patch transliterate proper name. Is this kind of way popular for fan translator ?

wefwq
Oct 2, 2014, 09:59 AM
I still don't understand why they must change force to wizard, tech to magic, and mates to health drink.

KazukiQZ
Oct 2, 2014, 11:35 AM
A$iasoft is turning PSO2 from a Phantasy Star game into the generic massly-pop-out-like-mushroom-and-may-be-shut-down-after-a-moment game. And those changes to generic names really makes asiasoft thinks we SEA people can't learn most basic names, ffs. 'Monomates? Our players will confuse these as the item for trap skillz!' Or they think Wizard in Space is cool. 'Space Magic!'
/rant

Oh, and Ragnarok Online 2 hosted by Asiasoft is shutting down soon, with the players given a choice to transfer to NA server .

landman
Oct 2, 2014, 11:42 AM
I still don't understand why they must change force to wizard, tech to magic, and mates to health drink.
Because Asiasoft aims to a general public that's used to those therms, not to PSO fans, that are a minority. It's not less stupid, but that the single reason.