PDA

View Full Version : TWC still having problems?

Arkayic
Sep 29, 2014, 02:43 PM
Is it just me or can anyone with TWc connect at all? It's been almost a week now and I'm not to happy about not being able to log and in/wasting premium time. Is there any news/updates on it?

Preposterous Rhino
Sep 29, 2014, 02:52 PM
I still can't connect. I wish I knew more about it, but I don't. Just chiming in to say you aren't alone.

Sanguine2009
Sep 29, 2014, 03:04 PM
basically whats happened is TWC now uses a different route for all traffic to japan now, this new route cannot connect to the servers similar to how other ISPs cannot. furthermore the old route seems to still be up(at least it responds when pinged) so i cant help but think its intentional on TWCs part.

i recommend looking into alternate connection methods because at this point there is no guarantee it will be fixed at all.

airprinzh2o
Sep 29, 2014, 03:15 PM
I, too, still cannot log into the game using normal TWC internet. People were making tests, observations, and/or assumptions over at the other thread. At first they were mostly optimistic but lately some suggested to start looking for alternative ways of logging in. Some examples:

1) Cyberkitsune's pso2 proxy (http://pso2proxy.cyberkitsune.net/) - free public proxy
2) Other proxy
3) VPN
4) Pingzapper (I don't know how this work either, just that some people mentioned it)
5) Others

At first I used the cyberkitsune proxy. The website has insturctions on how to set it up, which is only copy-pasting a link if you use the PSO2 Tweaker. The connection was stable for couple days but got pretty bad during the weekend. It could just be me though cuz others seemed satisfied. Then I switched to WTFast. Honestly I don't know if this is a VPN or proxy, but hey I get to play and the connection seems pretty stable. The setup isn't too complicated either. It includes 30 day free trial and after that is $9.99/month I believe.

Squal_FFVIII
Sep 29, 2014, 03:37 PM
basically whats happened is TWC now uses a different route for all traffic to japan now, this new route cannot connect to the servers similar to how other ISPs cannot. furthermore the old route seems to still be up(at least it responds when pinged) so i cant help but think its intentional on TWCs part.

i recommend looking into alternate connection methods because at this point there is no guarantee it will be fixed at all.

Ya, I agree. I remember the first time TWC went down for like 4 hours or so then they quickly fixed it.

It's been like 5 days now and since traffic is being routed differently I think it will be permanent.

However I still have some hope. Maybe after maint this week we can try logging in again normally.

Also you can try logging in with the public pso2proxy if you want. It's really easy to setup, its also free and the connection is decent enough IMO.

Fufufu
Sep 29, 2014, 10:43 PM

66.109.7.90 Does not respond to ping, that is the last server before japan on TWC's old route. Notably, 66.109.7.90 is a TWC server, now we're going through XO communications instead. If this is an intentional change on TWC's part, and it does seem like it might be, it won't be fixed. Maybe they just didn't want to manage transpacific data anymore.

silo1991
Sep 29, 2014, 10:51 PM
the proxy i dont trust in that one because you are in the hands of hackers , as far i heard about it

Sanguine2009
Sep 30, 2014, 12:34 AM
66.109.7.90 Does not respond to ping, that is the last server before japan on TWC's old route. Notably, 66.109.7.90 is a TWC server, now we're going through XO communications instead. If this is an intentional change on TWC's part, and it does seem like it might be, it won't be fixed. Maybe they just didn't want to manage transpacific data anymore.

true that specific address does not respond BUT if you ping unk-426d075a.adelphiacom.net (which was associated with it) it does.

Rakurai
Sep 30, 2014, 03:05 AM
the proxy i dont trust in that one because you are in the hands of hackers , as far i heard about it

It's been running for months with no reports of foul play, so I'm putting trust in it.

It's also extremely simple to set up compared to the alternatives.

Fufufu
Sep 30, 2014, 04:00 AM
true that specific address does not respond BUT if you ping unk-426d075a.adelphiacom.net (which was associated with it) it does.

The IP it is pointing to is different. In fact I don't think timewarner has owner adelphiacom.net for a very long time, that domain has been parked by someone else for a long time. The machine just returned that hostname because it was still in the system configuration, what you're pinging is not TWC at all. Just some domain parker.

MaxDagger
Sep 30, 2014, 04:20 AM
So this problem is still going around huh? This sucks, I could even play PSO2 throughout the weekend. I decided to check if I could go to their website (A few minutes ago) and it seems I cannot access it. So this is quite a drag. Hope this gets resolved soon, bet they are trying their 'best'.

CelestialBlade
Sep 30, 2014, 07:02 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future because TWC is selling a large portion of its market to Charter Communications (including my market), a subsidiary of Comcast (ugh). If you're interested in playing in the future you may want to see how Charter handles these things and you may need some sort of proxy connection for PSO2 anyway.

Charter has data caps, by the way, and have been known to cut customers off entirely for repeated cap violations. Not sure how high those caps are, though.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 1, 2014, 01:10 AM
I have Charter, you'll need a proxy or vpn... as for the data cap, this is the 1st i've heard of it. after some Googling;

"Thresholds are commonly used in the industry, and Charter has established in the Company's Acceptable Use Policy "AUP" residential service thresholds at 100 gigabytes (GB) of bandwidth per month for customers subscribing to Lite and Express services, 250 GB of bandwidth per month for customers subscribing to Plus and Max (Grandfathered) service and 500 GB of bandwidth per month for Ultra100 service."

Unless your huge into torrents of the less then legit kind, or you try to download all the next gen games from steam's winter sales all at once, you shouldn't hit those caps. even then it's unlikely they'll cut service unless you go way overboard multiple times or if you exceed that cap downloading less then legitimate stuff+^_^+

iirc Comcast and AT&T both have a cap of 250 GB across the board for data, while TWC and Verizon have no cap whatsoever.

Lashette
Oct 1, 2014, 01:21 AM
The Trial Version of Pingzapper will boot you 30 minutes after logging in, even when you use the shutting it off after the game connects trick. On a brighter note it is only $3.99 a month which honestly is a small price to pay. A lot of people are blowing way more cash than that on AC and Premium. When connected it does run nicely. I would rather use this over a VPN, or a public proxy.

NotRankin
Oct 1, 2014, 01:31 AM
I have Charter, you'll need a proxy or vpn... as for the data cap, this is the 1st i've heard of it. after some Googling;

Unless your huge into torrents of the less then legit kind, or you try to download all the next gen games from steam's winter sales all at once, you shouldn't hit those caps. even then it's unlikely they'll cut service unless you go way overboard multiple times or if you exceed that cap downloading less then legitimate stuff+^_^+

iirc Comcast and AT&T both have a cap of 250 GB across the board for data, while TWC and Verizon have no cap whatsoever.

Somehow I hit 1TB of usage for 3 months on home internet. Hence the swap to Business internet /o/

Eternum
Oct 2, 2014, 02:34 PM
I'm of the camp of people that thinks this is a permanent thing from TWC, and I still want to play PSO2, so...

Anyone have any free recommendations besides PSO2Tweaker Proxy? I will be moving in January, so I just need a temporary solution.

Idolon
Oct 2, 2014, 04:00 PM
You can set up a proxy on an Amazon server and route your traffic through that. It is free for a year, then relatively inexpensive after that. There's a guide on these forums (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299) to set up a SSH tunnel. If you use PSO2 Tweaker you can also set up your own private instance of PSO2Proxy (http://chaosinacan.com/games/pso2proxy-on-amazon-aws/). (This is your own instance of the proxy, not the public one. You don't have to worry about other people doing dumb things and getting you banned. You won't be contributing to Cyberkitsune's data collection.)

There are some advantages and disadvantages to each method:
SSH Tunnel

Routes all your traffic through PuTTY or another proxy program. If said program crashes or screws up, you lose connection. From what I hear, PuTTY is occasionally unstable.
Routes all your traffic through the proxy. Things in your web browser might come up for different regions. You can probably access pso2.com.
You have to start your proxy program every time you want to play.

PSO2Proxy

All PSO2 network traffic is redirected to the proxy server without the use of a proxy program, meaning one less thing that could go wrong and drop your connection.
Only PSO2 traffic is routed through the proxy. Your web browser will not go through the proxy. You probably can't access pso2.com.
Easy, one-time set up through PSO2 Tweaker or with modification of your system's hosts file.

HiImAyumi
Oct 3, 2014, 07:37 AM
I'm of the camp of people that thinks this is a permanent thing from TWC, and I still want to play PSO2, so...

Anyone have any free recommendations besides PSO2Tweaker Proxy? I will be moving in January, so I just need a temporary solution.
VPN Gate, the only easy solution without pulling out your hair.

Z-0
Oct 3, 2014, 08:02 AM
Routes all your traffic through PuTTY or another proxy program. If said program crashes or screws up, you lose connection. From what I hear, PuTTY is occasionally unstable.
Routes all your traffic through the proxy. Things in your web browser might come up for different regions. You can probably access pso2.com.
This is incorrect. Only what is specified in ProxyCap will be routed. Everything else is untouched.

AWS is far superior to PSO2Proxy, although it takes more setup. PSO2Proxy increases ping by a fair amount and can cause problems for some players.

Stealthcmc1974
Oct 3, 2014, 08:13 AM
AWS and PSO2Proxy should increase your ping by a relatively small, but similar, amount.

I'm gonna vouch for the Proxy here. I use it, and have no noticeable lag or ping. I play just fine. Only time I lag is when everyone is lagging, meaning that's SEGA's servers derping out.

Idolon
Oct 3, 2014, 09:01 PM
This is incorrect. Only what is specified in ProxyCap will be routed. Everything else is untouched.

I stand corrected. I have not used ProxyCap, and I assumed it would operate similarly to a VPN.

AWS is far superior to PSO2Proxy, although it takes more setup. PSO2Proxy increases ping by a fair amount and can cause problems for some players.

I have been using my own instance of PSO2Proxy hosted on AWS (so does that make it superior to itself?) for a few days now, and it has been stable and just about as laggy as the game was before TWC stopped being able to connect. PSO2Proxy mostly just reads packets and passes them off to the game server. There's some encryption/decryption happening and chances for plug-ins to modify the packets, so there is a slight bit of overhead, but computers are fast. I expect it adds a couple milliseconds or less to the time it takes to send/receive a packet.

moorebounce
Oct 12, 2014, 10:26 AM
So after the next maintenance we can say TWC changed how hey route to Japan?

Sizustar
Oct 12, 2014, 11:32 AM
So after the next maintenance we can say TWC changed how hey route to Japan?

Sega maintance has nothing to do with TWC route

TaigaUC
Oct 12, 2014, 12:35 PM
I still find it interesting that when people find they suddenly can/can't access PSO2, the changes always seem to take place only during PSO2's maintenance.

It was like that for me too.

Sanguine2009
Oct 12, 2014, 02:28 PM
this actually happened a day or two after maintainence

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 12, 2014, 03:34 PM
this actually happened a day or two after maintainence

This happened like 15 hours after maint.

The servers came back online at like 1AM Wednesday my time and TWC stoped working at around 5-ish PM on Wednesday afternoon.

The first time TWC lost its connection to pso2 was also 30-ish mins after Ep3 maint was over...

So ya it always does seem to happen after maint.

Sanguine2009
Oct 12, 2014, 04:49 PM

The servers came back online at like 1AM Wednesday my time and TWC stoped working at around 5-ish PM on Wednesday afternoon.

The first time TWC lost its connection to pso2 was also 30-ish mins after Ep3 maint was over...

15 hours after the fact is not RIGHT after maintenance at all nor is it DURING as was previously stated. if it was thanks to maintenance it would have happened during it or right as the servers came up, anything else is a coincidence.

Sizustar
Oct 12, 2014, 05:02 PM

And that still has nothing to do with Sega, a Japanese company that has no relation to a US ISP.

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 12, 2014, 09:43 PM
And that still has nothing to do with Sega, a Japanese company that has no relation to a US ISP.

Well in reality this whole mess does indeed have to do with sega seeing as before the actual DDOS attack everyone (meaning any isp was able to log in without problems) was able to log in.

I'm not an expert in networking or know much about it, but obviously sega did something to prevent everyone that isn't from Japan to log in.

Now I know there are a couple of ISP's that can still "bypass" whatever sega did and are able to log in.

But those are rare now as most foreign ISP's can't log in anymore.

I'm sure if sega removes whatever they did to prevent everyone from logging in or connecting to the pso2 site we will be able to log in normally once again.

Sizustar
Oct 13, 2014, 05:27 AM
Well in reality this whole mess does indeed have to do with sega seeing as before the actual DDOS attack everyone (meaning any isp was able to log in without problems) was able to log in.

I'm not an expert in networking or know much about it, but obviously sega did something to prevent everyone that isn't from Japan to log in.

Now I know there are a couple of ISP's that can still "bypass" whatever sega did and are able to log in.

But those are rare now as most foreign ISP's can't log in anymore.

I'm sure if sega removes whatever they did to prevent everyone from logging in or connecting to the pso2 site we will be able to log in normally once again.

Still nothing to do with Sega.
All Sega did was switch network provider, which uses a route that is not published well, which is not in Sega's control.

DJcooltrainer
Oct 14, 2014, 08:21 AM
The one thing that doesn't really add up in all of this, though, is the fact that TWC users can connect to PSO2es just fine. I'd figure they'd have to be hosted in the same location, as it uses our account and character data from the PC/Vita servers. How could the routing be so drastically different?

EvilMag
Oct 14, 2014, 12:48 PM
The one thing that doesn't really add up in all of this, though, is the fact that TWC users can connect to PSO2es just fine. I'd figure they'd have to be hosted in the same location, as it uses our account and character data from the PC/Vita servers. How could the routing be so drastically different?

PSO2es runs on different servers. I'm able to connect to es just fine and I'm on AT&T.

TaigaUC
Oct 14, 2014, 07:49 PM
I can also connect to PSO2es just fine. The password changing and AC purchasing sites work fine as well.
To clarify, I can't really say anything about Time Warner Cable, as I don't use it.
I'm just posting some sort-of-relevant information on exactly what's happening.

A while back, as soon as maintenance started, I was able to access the main website.
After maintenance, I wasn't able to access login. The next day, I was blocked from the website again.

I've noticed that sometimes, I can randomly see the server list without a proxy. But login still won't work.
My understanding is that only some routes/IPs won't work from my home location.

I check to see if I'm blocked almost every day and I always check during every maintenance.
With today's maintenance, I noticed I can suddenly access the main website (pso2.jp) again.
However, it's currently displaying a maintenance message. Normally, I time out.
Perhaps they are routing to a different IP during maintenance.

Edit: I realized that I could do a traceroute of the current route and compare with past routes.
The pso2.jp website IP from before (210.189.x.x) was different than the one I'm reaching now (202.51.x.x).
My net is also using a completely different route through Hong Kong today.
The Japanese servers I route through are also completely different from before.
I've no idea what servers I get stuck on when I can't access the website, because in those instances, it times out as soon as it goes offshore.

Edit2: Now it's timing out again. That was fast.

moorebounce
Oct 16, 2014, 09:42 AM
Still nothing to do with Sega.
All Sega did was switch network provider, which uses a route that is not published well, which is not in Sega's control.

If Sega was the one who switched network provider then that would have everything to do with Sega. You need to understand what you're saying. Now if all the other companies switched then that wouldn't have anything to do with Sega.

Sizustar
Oct 16, 2014, 10:17 AM
If Sega was the one who switched network provider then that would have everything to do with Sega. You need to understand what you're saying. Now if all the other companies switched then that wouldn't have anything to do with Sega.

Sega still doesn't control the route their network provider use, that's up to the network provider.

And TWC not able to access, is TWC changing their backbone provider, which is still not Sega, unless somehow Sega can make an foreign corporation do what they say.

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 16, 2014, 11:15 AM
Didn't sega tell their new "network provider" to take a new route to leave all the gaijin ISP's in the dark though?

Pretty shady how before everyone was able to connect just fine then all of a sudden after the ddos attack most gaijin isp's are left in the dark.

I have a feeling Sizustar is basically just speculating like the rest of us with the only difference being "it's not sega's fault. It's your fault for not being able to connect" ...lol

On another note. Do we even know who actually caused the ddos attack? Was it from some gaijin's? Or did it come from their own country?

saraishadow
Oct 16, 2014, 11:19 AM
It's 1/4 SEGA's fault with the ISP switch, but the remaining blame goes to TWC and Comcast (they had a merger you know) and what I assume is that TWC switched over to Failcast's backbone which we know can no longer connect without use of vpn or proxy.

I_Am
Oct 16, 2014, 11:20 AM
Didn't sega tell their new "network provider" to take a new route to leave all the gaijin ISP's in the dark though?

Pretty shady how before everyone was able to connect just fine then all of a sudden after the ddos attack most gaijin isp's are left in the dark.

I have a feeling Sizustar is basically just speculating like the rest of us with the only difference being "it's not sega's fault. It's your fault for not being able to connect" ...lol

So from the information out so far about what's going on, either SEGA or their ISP ever since the DDoS attacks is using a routing extension which is extra-specific so that by virtue of a common IP rule(nothing mandated but more just commonly followed) most ISPs wouldn't look for the routing extension, but ISPs local to the route would easily be able to find and connect. There are still a couple of IPs being broadcast which have the older, more accessible routing but they appear to be less stable and so are probably being ignored by ISPs as broken routes. It seems that literally the extension is causing the IPs to not be replicated far enough to reach outside of Japan(which is sneaky good for SoJ since their target audience is JP) so our ISPs can catch and restore access to the routing.

solid_snark
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM
TWC is in the process of merging with Comcast, which was never able to connect after the routing changes. It's not much of a stretch to think that TWC's routes were going to change to comply with Comcast's infrastructure eventually. As Sizustar has been saying all along, it's not Sega's fault for all of this. They're a customer of Yahoo.jp just like I am a customer of Comcast. They obviously have more pull than an average consumer, but I doubt they are Yahoo's biggest customer either. This is squarely on Yahoo, and the likelyhood of them 'fixing' is is slim to none.

NotRankin
Oct 16, 2014, 01:28 PM

On another note. Do we even know who actually caused the ddos attack? Was it from some gaijin's? Or did it come from their own country?

Or maybe it's because their ISP noticed the massive increase in traffic consistent with a DDOS, that they changed their routes around to kill it. Which seems to have worked. Not sure why everyone is flipping their shit over a conspiracy theory like this. You people need to relax some and just enjoy the damn game with a VPN/Proxy or quit. If it fixes itself, cool, if not, well..not going to stop me.

Sizustar
Oct 16, 2014, 01:35 PM

You have no idea on what you are talking about.
No foreign IP or ISP is banned or blocked.

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 16, 2014, 03:39 PM
You have no idea on what you are talking about.
No foreign IP or ISP is banned or blocked.

You should read my post again. I never said foreign ISP's were banned.

I'm fact thanks to some of the more helpful posts here I'm starting to actually understand the situation a little better.

Like I said I have a feeling you're simply just speculating like the rest of us. This isn't a knock on you, but unless you work with sega directly I highly doubt you know exactly what you're talking about.

@NotRankin, I'm currently using the proxy and enjoying myself very much seems to work much better than a generic vpn. I don't see why this discussion bothers you. From my understanding that's the purpose of this forum. As long as people discuss this in a somewhat civil mannor I don't see the problem.

Z-0
Oct 16, 2014, 04:19 PM
Squal is correct. We don't actually know who was the one who directed the route change on Yahoo. Yahoo could have done it of their own accord, or perhaps SEGA requested it for the range that their servers were on for PSO2. The routing table was most likely changed to minimise connections from future DDoS attacks, by the way, as part of their prevention measures. Our situation is a side-effect, but not a problem.

"Nothing is SEGA's fault" is not fact, and people should stop saying it. While we are not intentionally blocked, what is blocking us is very much intentional by whoever instigated the route change.

Yden
Oct 16, 2014, 05:36 PM
It's 1/4 SEGA's fault with the ISP switch, but the remaining blame goes to TWC and Comcast (they had a merger you know) and what I assume is that TWC switched over to Failcast's backbone which we know can no longer connect without use of vpn or proxy.

TWC is in the process of merging with Comcast, which was never able to connect after the routing changes. It's not much of a stretch to think that TWC's routes were going to change to comply with Comcast's infrastructure eventually. As Sizustar has been saying all along, it's not Sega's fault for all of this. They're a customer of Yahoo.jp just like I am a customer of Comcast. They obviously have more pull than an average consumer, but I doubt they are Yahoo's biggest customer either. This is squarely on Yahoo, and the likelyhood of them 'fixing' is is slim to none.

The merger hasn't happened yet. Even if they wanted to prepare they can't do anything since they still haven't gotten approval for the merger and it probably won't happen easily since there are a lot of companies out there (netflix for example) lobbying against the merger.