PDA

View Full Version : small question about translation

Pianica
Oct 2, 2014, 09:20 AM
why is lilipa -----> lagomite ?
does the sound "lilipa", (リリーパ) evoke nasty word for SEA people ?

Sirius-91
Oct 2, 2014, 09:22 AM
That's a question you should be asking them and not us.

Because we have no idea.

Poyonche
Oct 2, 2014, 11:05 AM
Because Asiasoft

LonelyGaruga
Oct 2, 2014, 01:09 PM
why is lilipa -----> lagomite ?
does the sound "lilipa", (リリーパ) evoke nasty word for SEA people ?

Lagomite is derived from lagomorph, which means rabbit. It isn't a direct translation.

Shadowth117
Oct 2, 2014, 01:36 PM
The SEA version has many questionable localisations. While some of them definitely do have a bit of thought behind them, they often take away from what the Japanese devs wanted to do with them. In this case for example, "Lillipa", as the name for the area more or less directly translates, is probably a reference to Liliput from Gulliver's Travels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilliput_and_Blefuscu

All of the rabbit-like so-called "Lillipans" are also a very tiny race in comparison to the normal sized Arks. So the name makes a bit of sense with kind of a neat reference to classical literature.

As said before me, the SEA name is derived from something as well, but I dislike how they changed it from the source material for seemingly no reason... especially when the reference they changed was from English literature. A lot of classic lore names were also changed if I recall in SEA such as Force being changed to Wizard and weird things like that.