PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Result of the server stress analysis...Sega Quarity...

Sizustar
Oct 3, 2014, 09:25 AM
Source
http://pso2.jp/players/support/measures/?id=4543

According to their investigation, they have discovered two reason(There might be more) for the server lag that everyone is experience

1. Free Partner - Everytime a player start a quest/free explore, the system will grab all avaibale free partner, ignoring whether player use/bring them or not, the more quest that player do, the more free partner the game loads, causing unnecessary stress

2. Player ID and Character search - Because it currently allows player to do a vague search and finding all result, this will cause unnecessary stress.

10/8 Maintace and fix for the issue.

1. Temporary disable Free partner, but won't effect those that you can bring along.

2. Player search will only allow exact match of ID after maintance.

After implementing these fix, we will do another Stress test, to determine if there are more issue that is causing the lag that all player are expereincing

Edson Drake
Oct 3, 2014, 09:27 AM
So... really...

Sizustar
Oct 3, 2014, 09:28 AM
So... really...

Terrible programing and outdated server hardware most likely~

Hexxy
Oct 3, 2014, 09:46 AM
So basically they don't know.

GALEFORCE
Oct 3, 2014, 09:47 AM
But how will I recruit more waifus now?

gigawuts
Oct 3, 2014, 09:59 AM
1. Free Partner - Everytime a player start a quest/free explore, the system will grab all avaibale free partner, ignoring whether player use/bring them or not, the more quest that player do, the more free partner the game loads, causing unnecessary stress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUKmq7UMJys

ReverseSeraf
Oct 3, 2014, 10:15 AM
So what you're saying is that if I load up 50+ quests, the game will basically load and keep like.. 500+ free partners? And it only goes up? Good job, SEGA.

And who actually uses the player search THAT often?

These all seem like half-assed attempts to cover up the issue that the game runs on...

Terrible programing and outdated server hardware most likely~

wefwq
Oct 3, 2014, 10:51 AM
I don't know what to say anymore. Their measure are kind of dumb.

The Walrus
Oct 3, 2014, 11:01 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m11y48k9A51qgqulno1_400.gif

SZiadaN
Oct 3, 2014, 11:26 AM
So they finally realized that Free partners and Player Search are two huge problems, I'm surprised though that they felt the need to even do a "server stress analysis" to come to this conclusion.

But, sega being sega isn't anything new :rolleyes:

Rien
Oct 3, 2014, 12:21 PM
So they finally realized that Free partners and Player Search are two huge problems, I'm surprised though that they felt the need to even do a "server stress analysis" to come to this conclusion.

But, sega being sega isn't anything new :rolleyes:

With you crashing myshop searches until relog via mass whisper

I'm surprised it's done nothing to the servers

Misaki Ki
Oct 3, 2014, 01:20 PM
I knew it would be something silly/dumb.

Sp-24
Oct 3, 2014, 02:53 PM
So what you're saying is that if I load up 50+ quests, the game will basically load and keep like.. 500+ free partners? And it only goes up? Good job, SEGA.

And who actually uses the player search THAT often?

These all seem like half-assed attempts to cover up the issue that the game runs on...
Their statement is more likely to be sincere than you might think. Japan isn't exactly known for its quality programming, and PSO2 giving you week old results when you do a server-wide search for available parties is a good sign that PSO2 staff isn't an exception.

silo1991
Oct 3, 2014, 05:28 PM
so if this test wasnt the cause of half world having the error 249 then what caused this then

moorebounce
Oct 3, 2014, 05:34 PM
So they figured kicking TWC customers would help the load too I guess. Why don't they stop trying to reuse those PSU servers and buy new equipment.

gigawuts
Oct 3, 2014, 05:42 PM
Their statement is more likely to be sincere than you might think. Japan isn't exactly known for its quality programming, and PSO2 giving you week old results when you do a server-wide search for available parties is a good sign that PSO2 staff isn't an exception.

What's really absurd here is the results are truncated down to 50.

So, what, it scans every ID there is but only displays the first 50 then keeps going just because?

I just used it last week for a common character (炎), and I shouldn't even say "first" because they seemed either out of order or randomly picked within the search results (or maybe just in order of player ID).

UnLucky
Oct 3, 2014, 06:45 PM
Is there any other service that limits search queries to exact matches in the interest of server load?

Usually that would be deemed unacceptable

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 3, 2014, 06:46 PM
So they figured kicking TWC customers would help the load too I guess. Why don't they stop trying to reuse those PSU servers and buy new equipment.

Lol, I have a feeling this is why we got kicked out aswell =P

I remember when the servers came back up I was playing just fine on Wednesday till like around 5pm pacific time. Then I just got the boot. At first I was like "oh maybe it was just my router" but then I found out it was another boot like the other time (when they quickly fixed the issue in like 3 hours or so we were able to log in again).

This time it's the same, but unfortunately its been over like what 9 days now or so? and we TWC users still can't log in. But I still hold a lil hope. Maybe once sega "fixes" the server issues we'll be able to log in normally again?

Sanguine2009
Oct 3, 2014, 07:59 PM
the TWC stuff is completely unrelated

NexusAZ
Oct 3, 2014, 08:08 PM
Lol, I have a feeling this is why we got kicked out aswell =P

I remember when the servers came back up I was playing just fine on Wednesday till like around 5pm pacific time. Then I just got the boot. At first I was like "oh maybe it was just my router" but then I found out it was another boot like the other time (when they quickly fixed the issue in like 3 hours or so we were able to log in again).

This time it's the same, but unfortunately its been over like what 9 days now or so? and we TWC users still can't log in. But I still hold a lil hope. Maybe once sega "fixes" the server issues we'll be able to log in normally again?

From what I understand, this is soley on TWC. They apparently changed how they reach Japan and are no longer on the "good" route.

Sizustar
Oct 3, 2014, 08:14 PM

TWC is not related to Sega, it's TWC itself changing it's backbone route.

elryan
Oct 3, 2014, 11:46 PM
Are the issues silly and resulted from bad programming? Yes.

But I think they're being sincere with their effort and should be commended. Props to SEGA.

TaigaUC
Oct 5, 2014, 01:18 AM
What the hell. This is stupid.

And if that stuff happens every time, they could probably have discovered it on a private test server.
Or rather, they should know it's an issue from the shitty coding and design.

Shitty "solution", too.

And I guess they're trying to imply that episode 3 has had a tenfold increase in ID searches and free partners?
Because the lag wasn't this bad before episode 3. Or maybe it was and I'm just used to it now.

Chdata
Oct 5, 2014, 01:48 AM
The could've discovered this by reading their code.

At least, the thing about free partners. Not the thing about player searches.

Misaki Ki
Oct 5, 2014, 01:59 AM
Their solutions for this type of stuff typically involve removing, or crippling the offending thing in question. Usually SEGA doesn't actually fix the problem at all.

I miss my lobby chairs, damn it.

TaigaUC
Oct 5, 2014, 03:16 AM
Damn, TD suire is laggy today.

Must be a lot of people looking up IDs.

EvilMag
Oct 5, 2014, 03:41 AM
I blame the lack of TDs we've had the past two weeks for the huge lag today.

TaigaUC
Oct 5, 2014, 04:02 AM
I wonder how many people are going to actively spam ID searches as a result of that announcement.

UnLucky
Oct 5, 2014, 05:55 AM
I should try that next scheduled Loser EQ

I always make sure and AFK to boost the server pop

gigawuts
Oct 5, 2014, 08:43 AM
Their solutions for this type of stuff typically involve removing, or crippling the offending thing in question. Usually SEGA doesn't actually fix the problem at all.

I miss my lobby chairs, damn it.

But...we have lobby chairs?

TehCubey
Oct 5, 2014, 08:54 AM
Is there any other service that limits search queries to exact matches in the interest of server load?

Usually that would be deemed unacceptable

This. A game that requires exact match queries? In the 21st century? This is laughable.

Just as laughable as the fact PSO2 apparently had significant lag when performing non exact search. Seriously, Sega should have fired people for doing a hack job like that. We all know Japanese programming is bad but this is bad even by Japanese standards.

gigawuts
Oct 5, 2014, 08:55 AM
Yes but you see programming is like really hard and you can't understand how hard it is for Sega to program because you can't program and you can't tell Sega how to program if you don't know how to program because programming is like really hard.

TehCubey
Oct 5, 2014, 09:02 AM
I know you're being sarcastic but:

because you can't program

I actually can and do so for a living.

Misaki Ki
Oct 5, 2014, 06:12 PM
But...we have lobby chairs?

Ah, bad wording on my part. The lobbies used to have more chairs and such. They were the cause of bad lag for the server when the game was available in beta and beyond.

The solution was to just remove most of them, leaving empty tables scattered around. It just looks tacky to me. I know we have some in key areas, but places like the two colored rooms, and the area in front of the recycle shop are pretty bad.

gigawuts
Oct 5, 2014, 06:33 PM
Ah, bad wording on my part. The lobbies used to have more chairs and such. They were the cause of bad lag for the server when the game was available in beta and beyond.

The solution was to just remove most of them, leaving empty tables scattered around. It just looks tacky to me. I know we have some in key areas, but places like the two colored rooms, and the area in front of the recycle shop are pretty bad.

Wait, are you serious? Is this real? Did that happen? I mean, I was wondering what the hell the deal was with all those randomly placed tables, but this is why they're there?

I...

I need someone to hold me right now.

Misaki Ki
Oct 5, 2014, 06:53 PM
lol

[spoiler-box]
http://puu.sh/c0Y8Q/e6468ff932.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

UnLucky
Oct 5, 2014, 06:58 PM
Unfortunately it has been discovered that players partaking in the various quests is putting an unforeseeable amount of stress on the PSO2 servers.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but in a future update Quest Counter NPCs Rebecca, Anneliese, and Any Pair will be removed, as well as all access to the campship will be disabled.

Thank you for your understanding.

※Please Note: The Lobby will of course not be affected by this change. Players may still access to the Gate Area and Shop Area as well as My Room and Team Room.

TaigaUC
Oct 5, 2014, 07:00 PM
The solution was to just remove most of them, leaving empty tables scattered around.

I always wondered about that.
Figures.

Misaki Ki
Oct 5, 2014, 07:08 PM
It isn't the only lazy fix they've done. I'm sure you remember Darker's Den glitching out on occasion. The bosses sometimes wouldn't spawn, and it would cause the run to be unbeatable. The solution there was to make the bosses skippable.

Base Defense end crystals used to lag the server as well. I can't recall exactly what they did there, so I may be wrong on this one, but I believe they reduced the total amount of drops the crystal would give. 11* and 10* are given priority over anything else. No real complaints from that one honestly, since most of the items were crap and just ate time.

gigawuts
Oct 5, 2014, 07:11 PM
somebody has to explain to me how chairs cause lag

searches, okay

friend partner bugs, okay

chairs, not okay

i can't even with this

Misaki Ki
Oct 5, 2014, 07:12 PM
Cutting chairs meant less data transferred in the lobby. The servers are that delicate. ^^;

gigawuts
Oct 5, 2014, 07:16 PM
they design the servers for fucking dudu but can't handle some god fucking chairs holy shit sega

EvilMag
Oct 5, 2014, 07:19 PM
I get the feeling that's why they told us that reloading TAs will decrease our chance for abduction when that mission first came out. Since reloading missions causes lag. Jesus christ sega...

I also remember them asking players to stop spamming Apos Dorios on Normal mode just to build the kill percentage because that caused lag. That made me laugh.

Gaylar
Oct 5, 2014, 07:31 PM
Jesus christ.

I came from ACE Online and I thought THAT game had piss-poor coding, and to top it off it was running on an engine from 1995 in 2013

But chairs? Lobby chairs? Causing the SERVER to lag?
How in the fuck did they manage to botch the code THAT fucking badly?

Actually, I'm not really surprised, seeing as how they couldn't even get our characters to make a goddamn fist

TaigaUC
Oct 6, 2014, 01:57 AM
I hate when Dudu/Monica suddenly lag and I accidentally press grind without using risk reductions.
Then of course it goes -3 or some shit and I end up losing a fortune to get back to where I was.
Where's our compensation for that kind of crap.

Sp-24
Oct 6, 2014, 04:55 AM
they design the servers for fucking dudu but can't handle some god fucking chairs holy shit sega
Spaghetti code can do wonders, even with good hardware. I remember making a simple Paint-like app that would lag what was a sufficiently powerful PC whenever you'd try to erase the entire canvas as a kid, thanks to calling the same function a bit too often.

It kind of makes sense that it's these little things that make the game lag so much, since Sega has already established their reputation of total amateurs. It would be kinda cute to watch this game develop if they weren't trying to charge money for it, since that usually implies a finished quality product.

NoiseHERO
Oct 6, 2014, 05:08 AM
C'mon we all knew this was a hollywood game.

Of course the servers are made of cardboard.

Kondibon
Oct 6, 2014, 05:13 AM
I hate when Dudu/Monica suddenly lag and I accidentally press grind without using risk reductions.
Then of course it goes -3 or some shit and I end up losing a fortune to get back to where I was.
Where's our compensation for that kind of crap.No. You're supposed to get good. You shouldn't be compensated for being bad at the game. It's your own fault for being too impatient.

Am I doing it right?

NoiseHERO
Oct 6, 2014, 05:17 AM
No. You're supposed to get good. You shouldn't be compensated for being bad at the game. It's your own fault for being too impatient.

Am I doing it right?

No.

You're supposed to say "gitgud." and nothing else.

Kondibon
Oct 6, 2014, 05:27 AM
No.

You're supposed to say "gitgud." and nothing else.Thought about it. Decided it wasn't worth the stress of Taiga taking me seriously about it.

Achelousaurus
Oct 6, 2014, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately it has been discovered that players partaking in the various quests is putting an unforeseeable amount of stress on the PSO2 servers.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but in a future update Quest Counter NPCs Rebecca, Anneliese, and Any Pair will be removed, as well as all access to the campship will be disabled.

Thank you for your understanding.

※Please Note: The Lobby will of course not be affected by this change. Players may still access to the Gate Area and Shop Area as well as My Room and Team Room.
XD

It isn't the only lazy fix they've done. I'm sure you remember Darker's Den glitching out on occasion. The bosses sometimes wouldn't spawn, and it would cause the run to be unbeatable. The solution there was to make the bosses skippable.

Base Defense end crystals used to lag the server as well. I can't recall exactly what they did there, so I may be wrong on this one, but I believe they reduced the total amount of drops the crystal would give. 11* and 10* are given priority over anything else. No real complaints from that one honestly, since most of the items were crap and just ate time.
Yeah, before we got a ton of 6* and lower stuff, now it's 95% rares.

I get the feeling that's why they told us that reloading TAs will decrease our chance for abduction when that mission first came out. Since reloading missions causes lag. Jesus christ sega...

I also remember them asking players to stop spamming Apos Dorios on Normal mode just to build the kill percentage because that caused lag. That made me laugh.
o.O
When you have to ask people to use your program/play your game in a certain way because another way will cause trouble it's time to change jobs. Or at least go learn to do some decent programming / SQL.

Anyway, lol.
I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons is also the stupid shop search.
I wouldn't wonder if it gets all 500,000 results for consumable tickets or weapons with Quartz Soul or whatever and still only displays the top 200.

They should allow for refining your search anyway.

Also, it's the easiest thing in the world to do some performance test on a database / SQL statement.
I guess Sega being Sega means they never even thought of it in the first place.

the_importer_
Oct 6, 2014, 07:33 AM
Well, at lease they realized their problem with trying to index all players. Microsoft still hasn't figured out that Indexing slows down your searches and neglects searching in certain areas in Windows Explorer.

TaigaUC
Oct 6, 2014, 06:10 PM
Microsoft still hasn't realized a lot of simple things. On purpose, I'm sure.

Walkure
Oct 6, 2014, 06:36 PM
Uh, I'm not exactly big on software and data storage, but I was under the impression that indexing improves read times at the cost of write times.