PDA

View Full Version : Japanese VPS services?

DJcooltrainer
Oct 6, 2014, 08:55 AM
I haven't really been impressed with AWS's performance when it comes to playing PSO2. Long login times and loading time, and lots of lobby lag. No fun. So I've decided to do a little searching for services that are more reliable and cheaper than AWS (after the first year on free-tier, of course).

Currently, the best rates I've found have been with VULTR. It's about $7 a month for a debian (wheezy) server, and offers 200GB of bandwidth a month (which is more than enough for me and a couple of friends to use as a proxy), and the pings seem a little better when compared to AWS.

Is anyone out there using any different services that they would recommend? I want to continue playing PSO2 for a while, and I don't have a problem shelling out a few bucks a month to be able to play with my friends, but if I can save a little money or get better performance out there, I am willing to try other things and report my findings.

WarlordMoose
Oct 6, 2014, 09:46 AM
SoftEther VPN Client Manager. Its completely free and the Japanese servers are always fast

Husq
Oct 6, 2014, 10:20 AM
I can only recommend only servers run by Tsukuba University on vpngate, if you want a free solution. Thing is you can actually connect using windows L2TP/IPsec VPN Client, see the setup guide on their page, by pushing in the details listed in the sever list. That way you don't need to install additional software, like softether or openvpn. Ether way you don't want to push all your communication through the VPN, just route the IP addresses/range of PSO2 through it.

If you want to go for a paid solution, make sure to get a dedicated IP. think VPN-Ninja charges 2500JPY for it.

Edit: oh wait you want an own sever to pay with ... sorry can't help you there.

Sirius-91
Oct 6, 2014, 10:52 AM
I haven't really been impressed with AWS's performance when it comes to playing PSO2. Long login times and loading time, and lots of lobby lag. No fun. So I've decided to do a little searching for services that are more reliable and cheaper than AWS (after the first year on free-tier, of course).

Currently, the best rates I've found have been with VULTR. It's about $7 a month for a debian (wheezy) server, and offers 200GB of bandwidth a month (which is more than enough for me and a couple of friends to use as a proxy), and the pings seem a little better when compared to AWS.

Is anyone out there using any different services that they would recommend? I want to continue playing PSO2 for a while, and I don't have a problem shelling out a few bucks a month to be able to play with my friends, but if I can save a little money or get better performance out there, I am willing to try other things and report my findings.

Outside of VULTR, AWS is the only other thing that is of similar pricing. The rest out there only accepts JPY, and those aren't even cheap.

DJcooltrainer
Oct 6, 2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I kind of figured VULTR's pricing is hard to beat. At least the ping is an improvement from my AWS server.

And to the guys above, I'm looking for VPS rentals, not VPN services. I want to host my own proxy, I'm not super into the idea of using public servers.

Fufufu
Oct 7, 2014, 02:09 AM
I believe cyberkitsune's pso2proxy server is on a linode server. They have a tokyo location available, but cost a little more than vultr.

Fufufu
Oct 7, 2014, 09:17 AM
I'll mention this as well. You don't necessarily need a japanese VPS. I have a server through datashack(dedicated, not cheap..but they plan to have some cheap vps in the future) that I use as a VPN, and it can connect just fine. You may want to consider servers in the u.s. If you're unsure their support would probably show you a traceroute to pso2.jp. Additionally make sure the server won't cause a strange route. If you're on the west coast you don't want an east coast server because it will literally go from one end of the u.s. back to the other.

DJcooltrainer
Oct 7, 2014, 09:50 AM
I'm just worried that I'd invest time and money into a server that could end up getting blocked from connecting to PSO2 at any time. At least I can be a little more certain that it'll work if the server is actually located in Japan.

After checking out Linode's pricing for smaller scale stuff, I still think VULTR provides the best performance per dollar with pings that are comparable to Linode's Tokyo instances, and a huge improvement from AWS. Guess I'll stick with what I've got for now.

bukki
Feb 20, 2017, 10:16 PM
if you want a server in japan i recommend a hikari host have server for 50 gb ssd and unlimited traffic

http://sales.hikarihost.com/vps/

.razor.
Feb 21, 2017, 08:19 AM
SoftEther VPN Client Manager. Its completely free and the Japanese servers are always fast

that crap only works like 10% of the time.