PDA

View Full Version : About lag and gpus...

Achelousaurus
Oct 8, 2014, 10:20 AM
So, usually I get the teleporting bosses / enemies type of lag.
Or I get hit by an enemy that isn't even close.

And almost as often I see people do stuff before they actually do stuff, i.e. crystals being picked up by others with me being the closest player by far or buttons being stepped on when no one is even near them.

Also recently team mates told me they didn't have nearly as much as me in EQs we did together.

My CPU is an i5 quadcore with 3.4GHz so I don't think it's the source of the bad performance.

This sounds suspiciously like my GPU cannot cope with PSO2.
A bit odd cause I have an nvidia geforce gtx 760.
And I was under the impression something like this should be able to cope with PSO2 without problem.

Is this caused by lag or do I need a new graphics card?
If I need a new one, what would suggest for PSO2?

Sirius-91
Oct 8, 2014, 10:51 AM
It isn't graphics lag, it's net lag.

isCasted
Oct 8, 2014, 10:55 AM
It's all your connection and has nothing to do with PC specs.

1) Bosses and big mobs are partially server-side and can teleport due to desynchronization. Smaller mobs usually teleport if they were moved by someone's PA/tech while you lagged.

2) Other player positions and moves are approximate. Damage, crystals, lanterns etc. have higher priority than visuals of other players or mob movements that were mentioned above.

3) Getting hit by an enemy that's far away... Not sure about this one. My connection is quite shit but I never faced it myself (or rather never thought that this is what happens).

Walkure
Oct 8, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hit detection is client-side. Where delay really kills is something like Banther doing his instant pounce as soon as he resynchronizes.

I've had that NabII room in a party go awry when I used Limit Break, and Fang Banther had a delayed start. As he was midway through running down the hill, he resynced on top of me doing his pounce at the teammate who was pinging arrows from starting location. Boop! I died.

Achelousaurus
Oct 8, 2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks.

But yeah, I used to have the lag where I have a normal fight but damage I deal to enemies or received myself arrives several seconds late.
Like Doritos hitting me and I am still at full health for a while.

Nowdays I only get the lag that looks like what games do when the hardware is insufficient, they drop video frames to calculate game mechanics so that you have stuttering.
Maybe in combination with lag from a bad connection / full servers this causes getting hit by enemies I don't see or taking damage before the attacks are visibly executed on my screen?

DJcooltrainer
Oct 8, 2014, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I agree with everyone above saying it's network lag. I'll still be hitting 120fps with 50% or less GPU usage, and I still get bosses that rubber band around, and the occasional "wtf there was nothing even close to hitting me" 1-shot death. The problem was never this bad before I started having to use alternate connection methods :(

Qualia
Oct 8, 2014, 04:51 PM
This sorta relates, but do people get certain visuals removed to compensate for lag? Like sometimes I don't see my ja circle, or some of apos and loser's ranged attacks. Usually being unable to see apos' projectiles/ice laser gets me killed.

Miyuki_Kamiko
Oct 8, 2014, 10:54 PM
it's straight out lag
let me explain what Lag can do
#1 make attacks miss
#2 make things teleport
#3 make you teleport backwards
#4 freeze everything for X amount of time
#5 disconnect you from the server
#6 make a session go out of synch and throw everybody out
#7 freeze everything
#8 make attacks hit you that shouldn't
#9 make things in a different time than you

Chik'Tikka
Oct 9, 2014, 03:22 AM
hmm.... this may be partially curable by upgrading your own speeds, or at least getting a more stable service (since it seems that packets being lost between JP and clients is the most likely cause of lag rather then some connection bottle-necking)+^_^+ i get very minor lag when it comes to enemies and don't see rubber-banding bosses unless the whole server goes wacky. some other players might hop around sometimes tho+^_^+ i have fairly "wide" (as in good bandwidth) internet and before the DDoS earlier this year my pings to Tokyo averaged about 160 ms+^_^+ no way to ping-test SEGAC's servers directly now...

Achelousaurus
Oct 9, 2014, 03:29 AM
Thanks.

Gama
Oct 9, 2014, 06:28 AM
Since episode 3 that lobby lag has been unbeareable 10 seconds frozen when oi logg in, seriously anoying, everything else works fine MPAs now lagg me so much , its weird. I'll have to check of there's something interfeering with the game.