PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 popularity in japan?

infiniteeverlasting
Oct 21, 2014, 05:58 PM
Is pso2 the most popular MMO in Japan currently?
i mean all those crossovers are quite something...
Just wanna get all the weaboos in my school to start playing ;)

edit: and i'm also just curious, how popular is pso2 really, are there other games that come before it in japan? in the MMO realm? in the MMORPG realm? how far does it place?

TaigaUC
Oct 21, 2014, 08:59 PM
I spoke with some JP friends about this, but for some reason I can't clearly recall their answer.
The other games they mentioned as being popular are FF14, DQ10.

I've seen people say that PSO2 doesn't have any real competition, or just happens to be the current "best" of what's available.

wefwq
Oct 21, 2014, 09:22 PM
Well, it's pretty hard to find a decent action RPG MORPG these days, yeah PSO2 dont have any other game to compete with (in same genre).

Walkure
Oct 21, 2014, 09:51 PM
I spoke with some JP friends about this, but for some reason I can't clearly recall their answer.
The other games they mentioned as being popular are FF14, DQ10.

I've seen people say that PSO2 doesn't have any real competition, or just happens to be the current "best" of what's available.
Is Monster Hunter Frontier not that popular?

Vampy
Oct 21, 2014, 10:13 PM
Monster hunter is on it's own level especially if you go action rpg no other game matches it and frontier has been running 7 years. I don't know if they lost many players over time or kept around the sane since at JP peak times I would see the servers packed but they removed two servers or well the unified the three.

Totori
Oct 21, 2014, 10:14 PM
It is popular, but it really doesn't feel close to PSO2. And some players want better customization and not have to worry about slow paced movement.

Vampy
Oct 21, 2014, 10:23 PM
I honestly prefer mh over pso2 since my work does not feel like it was for nothing and empty.

Lumpen Thingy
Oct 21, 2014, 10:26 PM
I honestly prefer mh over pso2 since my work does not feel like it was for nothing and empty.

really? because half the time I felt cheated in mh since it took me 10 devil jhos to get one gem before so rng is bs in any rpg I've ever played

Vampy
Oct 21, 2014, 10:27 PM
Still beats 500 quartz for susano guren my friend went through.

strikerhunter
Oct 21, 2014, 10:31 PM
really? because half the time I felt cheated in mh since it took me 10 devil jhos to get one gem before so rng is bs in any rpg I've ever played

Hey, at least the chances are better than PSO2's oblivious 12*s from Elder.

Also, at least you have better luck than me........killed enough Jhos to get all Jho title before getting his gem........

oratank
Oct 21, 2014, 10:41 PM

i got 2 susano yesterday from xq rare stage

Vampy
Oct 21, 2014, 10:49 PM

That's nice but the game is usually never that nice to most players.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 21, 2014, 11:08 PM

That's actually a fairly reasonable amount. Deviljho Gems are supposed to be extremely rare, and Deviljho itself is not that difficult. Typical solo Jho run for me was 15-18 minutes back in MH3. Parties were 30 minutes because of scrubs, though. MHP3rd was easier, MH3U is even easier unless we're talking Savage, but chances are you'd be hard pressed to find 10 Savage Deviljhos in the first place.

MH's RNG is extremely fair for what it is (an RNG). Far better than PSO2's, which makes sense, since the fights take longer and are more difficult, so the fights would have to be more rewarding.

FYI, for anyone involved, MH is one of the top selling games in Japan. Period. Partially because of the subway systems. You can basically guarantee yourself to be able to find a full party on any random trip and have a blast. A very unique cultural situation that not many other games can take advantage of, and is rare to find in other countries.

xxmadplayerxx
Oct 21, 2014, 11:42 PM

Lol so troll..get a screenshot or it never happened.

Radical Dreamer
Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 PM
That's actually a fairly reasonable amount. Deviljho Gems are supposed to be extremely rare, and Deviljho itself is not that difficult. Typical solo Jho run for me was 15-18 minutes back in MH3. Parties were 30 minutes because of scrubs, though. MHP3rd was easier, MH3U is even easier unless we're talking Savage, but chances are you'd be hard pressed to find 10 Savage Deviljhos in the first place.

MH's RNG is extremely fair for what it is (an RNG). Far better than PSO2's, which makes sense, since the fights take longer and are more difficult, so the fights would have to be more rewarding..

Agreed. Whenever I was hunting for a rare part in Monster Hunter, I knew for certain I was going to get it as long as I put enough time and effort into it.

In PSO2, though? I'm sure I won't ever get some of the rares in this game unless I just buy them off the player markets.

Dnd
Oct 22, 2014, 05:32 AM

Only 500? he was lucky, lol...

Ce'Nedra
Oct 22, 2014, 06:07 AM

I conqur. Still never found one myself after countless Quartz.

Edit: To get it even better. I finally got my very first Gwanadha 10* drop last weekend. How long has Gwana been dropping 10* now? 1,5 years?

So yeah RNG is a bitch.

the_importer_
Oct 22, 2014, 07:04 AM
This should be a sign that the game is big enough: http://imgur.com/a/Y9myl#0

TaigaUC
Oct 22, 2014, 07:15 AM
PSO2 dont have any other game to compete with (in same genre).

There's Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus, if that hasn't long died off from its design failures.

Is Monster Hunter Frontier not that popular?

Ah. They did mention Monster Hunter, sorry. I forgot.

Edit: To get it even better. I finally got my very first Gwanadha 10* drop last weekend. How long has Gwana been dropping 10* now? 1,5 years?

I tried Quartz farming a few times, got nothing. Eventually bought a Susano per account instead.
Had one drop a few weeks ago, but I didn't need it anymore and it's worth so much less now.

Your first Gwanada 10 star even with lots of rare drop boosts? That's really terrible luck.

Vampy
Oct 22, 2014, 08:04 AM

So yeah RNG is a bitch.

He quit pso2 before he could ever get it it was probably more than 500 but I lost track of how many xD

Ce'Nedra
Oct 22, 2014, 08:09 AM
I tried Quartz farming a few times, got nothing. Eventually bought a Susano per account instead.
Had one drop a few weeks ago, but I didn't need it anymore and it's worth so much less now.

Your first Gwanada 10 star even with lots of rare drop boosts? That's really terrible luck.

I farmed it for quite a long time but at least I got was a Crysrail I guess? I pretty much skipped Susano all together and went with something else in the end.

My PSO2 expierence in a nutshell but I pretty much stopped caring for stuff like that now and just laugh it off when something like this happens :wacko:

Gama
Oct 22, 2014, 08:17 AM
i honestly stopped caring on drops, and when something i want drops, i laugth.

Ce'Nedra
Oct 22, 2014, 08:27 AM
^Yeah that is pretty much the only way to play the game without it driving you nuts nowadays.

Vampy
Oct 22, 2014, 08:39 AM
I sadly still fall under that trap because of vanity and then want to quit the game because it feels like bullshit.

I won't ever compare MH to pso2 they are on completely different levels. Hell comparing main series games with frontier is not even an option because they went in two completely different directions.

Monster hunter as whole can be consider an mmo seeing as co-op play is the biggest selling point and now the handheld games have the ability to play via wifi. Putting mh4g sales number in to perspective they sold over 2 million copies the weekend they were released between physical and digital copies frontier I am not sure of the numbers I just know that it is still going strong and frequently updated.

Achelousaurus
Oct 22, 2014, 09:19 AM
Get premium. Good drops are just means of making more money for me.
If I want a new weapon, I buy it maxed from the shop without any hunting and for less money than it takes to max myself.

Then I resell when I upgrade and make a profit.

Primula
Oct 23, 2014, 05:00 AM
If I want a new weapon, I buy it maxed from the shop without any hunting and for less money than it takes to max myself.

Where's the fun in that? Doesn't feel as rewarding if all you do is buy it.
Though it's not like you can buy 12* anyway.

Sizustar
Oct 23, 2014, 05:07 AM
Where's the fun in that? Doesn't feel as rewarding if all you do is buy it.
Though it's not like you can buy 12* anyway.

But the 12* isn't really better then 10~11* though

Ce'Nedra
Oct 23, 2014, 06:01 AM

I'm always premium but I never find stuff that sells. And I don't mean 100k rares.

Hexxy
Oct 23, 2014, 08:42 AM
The drop rates in pso2 are a joke. 12* are the only thing even marginally uncommon now. Look how saturated the market is with 11*, many of which have competitive power, or in some cases are even more powerful than current 12*, and cost less than paperclips to get. So all of 0.2% or less of all equips in the game are not easily obtained. Something in the game has to be rare (or at least slightly rare now). Don't worry everyone will have a 50 orochi soon enough.

XrosBlader821
Oct 30, 2014, 11:08 PM
This should be a sign that the game is big enough: http://imgur.com/a/Y9myl#0
That Dreamcast accessory cosplay though.

The drop rates in pso2 are a joke. 12* are the only thing even marginally uncommon now. Look how saturated the market is with 11*, many of which have competitive power, or in some cases are even more powerful than current 12*, and cost less than paperclips to get. So all of 0.2% or less of all equips in the game are not easily obtained. Something in the game has to be rare (or at least slightly rare now). Don't worry everyone will have a 50 orochi soon enough.
Am I like the only one who spends hours with this game yet has no luck to get any good weapons at all? I spend 300 hours playing as a Fighter on VH plus and have found only one 10* weapon which sucked. don't make me even start on 11* weapons.

wefwq
Oct 30, 2014, 11:39 PM
That Dreamcast accessory cosplay though.

Am I like the only one who spends hours with this game yet has no luck to get any good weapons at all? I spend 300 hours playing as a Fighter on VH plus and have found only one 10* weapon which sucked. don't make me even start on 11* weapons.
Play SHAQs.

Fusionxglave
Oct 31, 2014, 01:07 AM
do not worry XrosBlader821 once you get a lvl 70 character and the next all star quest which is on November 5th of next week 10 star weapons, 10 star units, and 11 star weapons are going to rain down like bricks.

an all star quest, by the way, is a quest similar to getting 1000 points in 20 minutes however there will be no time limit and lots of bosses.

These quest are only limited and can are the fastest and easiest way to make mesta

Lostbob117
Oct 31, 2014, 10:51 AM
do not worry XrosBlader821 once you get a lvl 70 character and the next all star quest which is on November 5th of next week 10 star weapons, 10 star units, and 11 star weapons are going to rain down like bricks.

an all star quest, by the way, is a quest similar to getting 1000 points in 20 minutes however there will be no time limit and lots of bosses.

These quest are only limited and can are the fastest and easiest way to make mesta

To note on top of that: Best way to level up too.

TaigaUC
Nov 2, 2014, 06:29 PM

You need to get to the current maximum difficulty to get worthwhile drops. 10 stars drop all the time in SH, and some 11 stars are somewhat common.
But if you're aiming for upgrades, you could use crafting and extend weapons. Maximum extend levels are near-equivalent to good 11 stars (correct me if I'm wrong).

From experience, it's extremely difficult if not near impossible to get the weapons you want.
I've tried farming so many simple things that everyone seemed to have, and I don't think I've ever gotten any of them.

It's better to aim for stuff that sells for a lot, and use that money to get what you want.
My first break away from being poor was farming Amaterasu in XQ. Ended up getting around 4 of them after a hundred tries or so.
Shame that they dropped from 25m as I got them, so I ended up only getting 10-15m each.

But I don't think there's much money in rare weapons anymore. Chance are that if you get one, then everyone else is getting it as well. But always check, just in case.
Unit affixes with high slots are always worth a huge amount now. That may change when the affix system is updated in the coming months.
I also like to take advantage of grind events to make good weapons and sell them.

Fusionxglave
Nov 5, 2014, 11:29 PM
next all star quest which is on November 5th of next week 10 star weapons, 10 star units, and 11 star weapons are going to rain down like bricks.

I would like to restate the claim of an all star quest being on November 5th turns out there was only a new Emergency quest.

Sorry.:-(:-(