PDA

View Full Version : How Hardcore Would You Consider Yourself When It comes to PSO2?

Evangelion X.XX
Oct 23, 2014, 09:25 PM
The word “Hardcore” is pretty vague and can mean a variety of things such as logging in 6+ hours every day, constantly doing research and keeping up with PSO2 news, completing TA’s and exterminating bosses in record times, having 10+ skill trees and optimizing all of the classes that you play (including getting the best gear), getting all of the dances/costumes/hair-styles/etc., have been playing PSO2 since the beginning, being able to penta-whatever-dash, etc.

Do you prioritize PSO2 over other games?

I’m sure I’m missing something, but would you consider yourself hardcore? Casual? Not casual, but not hardcore either? Or are you just “Ehh, whatever; I’ll log in whenever I feel like logging in just because…”? Or maybe you just consider yourself PSO2-PSOW-Edition-hardcore?

As for me, I think I'm pretty hardcore; I have 28 Skill Trees, (including the ones that are given to you); spent quite a bit on AC, always try to get the best gear; try to make everything as efficient as possible, etc.

Stealthcmc1974
Oct 23, 2014, 09:28 PM
I'm casual. My LP series on PSO2 should have made that apparent enough, lol.

If I had the time, maybe I'd be more hardcore, but I have so little time for any one thing.

gigawuts
Oct 23, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'm softcore to the max.

But not an extreme max, as that would be a bit hardcore.

More like a small max.

A min max of sorts.

Stealthcmc1974
Oct 23, 2014, 09:33 PM
I'm softcore to the max.

But not an extreme max, as that would be a bit hardcore.

More like a small max.

A min max of sorts.

Isn't min-maxing hardcore as well?

Rien
Oct 23, 2014, 09:34 PM
You're not hardcore until you have the best gear. The time it takes to overcome RNG is so great that those who do can be up there.

BIG OLAF
Oct 23, 2014, 09:35 PM
I find myself to be a half-n-half. I like to goof around and play Space Barbies Online 2 primarily, but when I want to get serious and get things done, I can do it quite well.

Kondibon
Oct 23, 2014, 09:46 PM
My core is about as hard as tapioca pearls. I'm pretty invested in the game but I wouldn't consider my self hardcore. Have you SEEN my build ideas? Don't get me started on gear.

SakoHaruo
Oct 23, 2014, 09:48 PM
I used to be a tryhard before I lost my memory. Now I'm super casual. I recently sold 80% of my gear and spent over 113mil meseta on accessories for three of my characters. Feels good. o3o

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 23, 2014, 09:52 PM
Hardcore is very subjective. For instance most people would view myself as being casual in the game specifically with how I act, how I really don't really crunch numbers on gear and skill trees. However I look at things from the long view of the entire series. How many of you have actually attempted to speed run Phantasy Star for instance? My time is still listed on Speed Demos Archive and I produced that years ago. Not to mention I've always been kind of a wild card in this community with understanding the music and producing video content being a high priority for me. In that sense while in the game specifically I may be casual, with the series being my #1 favorite game series I believe myself to be hardcore over all.

Rakurai
Oct 23, 2014, 09:52 PM
I guess I'm semi-casual.

I prioritize getting good gear over anything else, but am satisfied with having four affixes on everything for the time being.

wefwq
Oct 23, 2014, 10:10 PM
Semi-hardcore maybe.
Usually just play dressup star online, but on another time work my ass off just to get a better gear, soloing XQ over and over again like a moron to get *11 weeps (when it's still good), or stay up late until early morning just to participate in EQ or trigger MPA.
I play PSO2 alot because i dont have any other game to play.

Lumpen Thingy
Oct 23, 2014, 10:19 PM
I find ways to kill shit and then find faster ways to kill shit so is that hard core enough?

lostinseganet
Oct 23, 2014, 10:29 PM
I wanted to be hardcore because when the dreamcast was out I had a solid PSO boner, but the disrespect of sega to the american and europeans over the years has limp my noodle...
I admit I am no where near what I was in my youth.

final_attack
Oct 23, 2014, 10:36 PM
Casual, maybe ..... and failing on affixes once (that involves Atk Boost) will make me bankrupt orz

Well, I just get online sometimes when I want to blow off some steam from ..... irl things ^^; And maybe some EQ if I got the time, since 12/12 MPA is the most fun part for me ^^;

NoiseHERO
Oct 23, 2014, 10:40 PM
Am god core I can jump to the moon now.

wefwq
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM
I find ways to kill shit and then find faster ways to kill shit so is that hard core enough?
Only if you trying really hard, like willing to pay over 10 mil for 20 extra ATK, or spending over hundreds of hours to do so.

Enforcer MKV
Oct 23, 2014, 11:42 PM
Eh, core gamer.

Two jobs doesn't really leave time for much else, unfortunately.

Kondibon
Oct 23, 2014, 11:48 PM
So like. I said I'm not hardcore, but I remembered I made this and when I found it again it made me think of this thread...

http://i.imgur.com/s5uWKcD.png

strikerhunter
Oct 24, 2014, 12:02 AM
I'm normally in between casual and hardcore in just bout most games but I see no reason to go hardcore at all in PSO2. Don't have the motivation to do so for PSO2.

Freshellent
Oct 24, 2014, 12:58 AM
My core is about as hard as tapioca pearls. I'm pretty invested in the game but I wouldn't consider my self hardcore. Have you SEEN my build ideas? Don't get me started on gear.

Glad I'm not the only one.

I'm starting to really enjoy the game again, as I often do off and on, but I spend too much time messing with random ideas than actually getting really 'hardcore'.

Along with doing robot things.

Xaelouse
Oct 24, 2014, 01:15 AM
Is ERP considered hardcore

Kondibon
Oct 24, 2014, 01:28 AM
Along with doing robot things.http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ee-elleuk/FRIENDS2.jpg

Is ERP considered hardcoreDoes it involve tentacles?

Cyron Tanryoku
Oct 24, 2014, 01:34 AM
yeah i use to do some pretty sick hardcore parkour back in the day of pso2

Ce'Nedra
Oct 24, 2014, 01:47 AM
Semi-Hardcore I guess. Recently did spend 35m on succubus wings and tail so I can leech TD3 perfectly now.

Kidding aside I put looks and gear about equal nowadays. I do however build my skilltrees myself and not look at any guides or anything what's technically good. I just do as I please and I still manage just fine.

Natsu Nem
Oct 24, 2014, 03:08 AM
I'm pretty hardcore mechanics wise. My playstyle primarily involves utilizing my classes' damage bonuses to their fullest extent possible(i.e. shoving my TMGs down throats with max health and TMG gear.) I also study attack hitboxes and AI behaviors so I can avoid attacks through deadzones I've found without having to pause my offense to press dodge. The biggest goals I have are self improvement and learning stuff so I mostly prefer soloing to challenge myself and to have that mindset of making sure I absolutely can't die. Hell, I learned how to manually quad dash with a gamepad three weeks before the run speed buff just for the sake of learning it.

Gearing wise, I keep myself reasonably geared but below overgearing/5+ slotting. I don't find turning boss fights into 12 second loot pinatas fun unless there's some thoughtful setup involved. Having many different types of classes is pretty expensive specially since I get 30 day premium only once a year. Unit upgrades are for when I notice too many attacks are one shotting me.

I don't really care much about the fashion. The game's fashion designs are the complete polar opposites of my tastes. I prefer minimalistic and practical designs while most of the ingame outfits are hugely overdesigned (An eyesore in negative space), needlessly revealing, and/or impractical. (HEELS, HEELS EVERYWHERE!)

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 24, 2014, 03:23 AM
I'm only hardcore when it comes to dressing up my waifu <3

Achelousaurus
Oct 24, 2014, 04:26 AM
As for me, I think I'm pretty hardcore; I have 28 Skill Trees, (including the ones that are given to you); spent quite a bit on AC, always try to get the best gear; try to make everything as efficient as possible, etc.
Wow, 28 trees is over 4.6 trees per class on average. I'd say that's quite hardcore.
I only got 2 more Hu, 1 more Braver (Katana /bow), 1 more Te and one more Fi tree (Fi even was an accident).

I used to be a tryhard before I lost my memory. Now I'm super casual. I recently sold 80% of my gear and spent over 113mil meseta on accessories for three of my characters. Feels good. o3o
HOLY CRAP!
113 million on accessories. There were a few I may or may not have wanted for 500k-18 million but even counting them all I don't think I'd come to more than 50 mil and I didn't get any of them cause I didn't want any of them enough to warrant their price.

Anyway, I'm half half.
I got a casual attitude but I've been a gamer for like 2 decades and I always love to analyze and minmax or find new strategies and builds to get better or abuse the game mechanics some more.

Since I always weigh effort vs reward I only got 2-4s gear bought from the shop.
I loved epic trades in PSO1 and the only substitute I got now is the player shop market so I check that frequently for stuff that interests me (or when bored) and end up buying good gear low and selling for profit when I upgrade. Feelsgoodman.jpg

I spend most of my free time on this game, though recently I get a bit bored at times.

I also spend 50-8ß euro per month on this game, 38 fixed for premium and storage and co extension and stuff and the rest on scratch I may or may not get.

I'd like to improve more and get better at dodging, countering, wrecking, etc. but I got barely time for EQs + tacos/xqs (on 2 characters so almost every day) during the week and somehow weekends are just over before I accomplished much.

LotusFX
Oct 24, 2014, 04:35 AM
I guess I can consider myself hardcore. I always want to finish my gear, make rainbow sets, affix fodders, kill stuff fast, and solo most stuff (including XQ which I once did alone with my Gu till morning just to get that last stone lol. Never again). Moved a char to Ship 1 just to buy stuffs and earn more cubes and bring her back someday. When I'm away, I look at guides, blogs, videos, and whatever stuff out there to kill time. Now I'm even planning to get multiple trees for a new char.

I always wish I can finish everything so I can relax and play dress up like the others. ;w;

Gama
Oct 24, 2014, 06:45 AM
Not hardcore, will never be hardcore. being hardcore removes the fun from the game to me.

i play with my teammates and friends, dress up, try to make my gear better from time to time, have nice chats with random people i find in the lobby.

GreenArcher
Oct 24, 2014, 08:17 AM
Hardcore. Maybe I don't put in the hours that most consider hardcore since graduating, but I am always trying to impove and optimize my characters.

Achelousaurus
Oct 24, 2014, 08:54 AM
Gama you need to dress up more though.
That skeleton suit is the first time I saw you with more than 2% deviation or your usual outfit lol.

isCasted
Oct 24, 2014, 09:41 AM
I don't even know how to call myself... I definitely have fun playing.

I capped all classes on my main and going for 5 on my alt. I have good (if not best) gear for pretty much all playstyles I like/used to play.

I have 5s Saiki just to boost my ego (I hated every second of making it but in the end it was worth it).

I look into improving my skills and I like teaching others. I hate people who say they play for fun but do everything to not let me have fun with it. Improvement is a core concept of RPG and I think people who don't respect this concept should just uninstall and never come back - that's how serious I am.

I like getting new accessories and costumes (but I like reselling them for great income too), I am all hyped for customisation, but in the end every scratch gives me more money than it takes from me.

The most weird part... My playtime per day varies from 6 to 14 (!) hours and I actually rarely go AFK. I have no life and I blame my country for it.

Hexxy
Oct 24, 2014, 09:54 AM
I have crowns in all quests/difficulties and have a red face for all npcs than can be red-faced. Does that count?

Pugas87
Oct 24, 2014, 11:25 AM
I average only about 1-2 hrs a day playing recently due to RL stuff. I do love this game though, and I do tons of research and forum browsing throughout the week to make up for my lack of play. I would probably play more if I could get my vita working again :/. I am a very mobile person, always on the go.

Hobu
Oct 24, 2014, 11:34 AM
1. Full Set for my character. I only have one.
2. Top-tier melee damage
3. Several Accessories/Costumes

I play around 4-8 hrs a day, sometimes not at all. I have only 3 classes maxed. Never touched Techs and Ranged.

I guess I'm a casual at this game.

RadiantLegend
Oct 24, 2014, 11:43 AM
Casual. Life doesn't allow anything higher.

SakoHaruo
Oct 24, 2014, 12:34 PM
Is ERP considered hardcore

Does it involve tentacles?

oh the crust o3o

HOLY CRAP!
113 million on accessories. There were a few I may or may not have wanted for 500k-18 million but even counting them all I don't think I'd come to more than 50 mil and I didn't get any of them cause I didn't want any of them enough to warrant their price.

Well everything I purchase was pretty expensive and having to buy stuff for three characters will start to add up in the long run. Good accessories will cost around 5 - 30mil. I try to focus on one character each scratch. That way I can make it back from the player shop using whatever leftover meseta and excubes from TD EQ.

Cyron Tanryoku
Oct 24, 2014, 12:52 PM
being hardcore removes the fun
everyone has their viewpoints and rights but god do i hate this phrase

RealKillaK
Oct 24, 2014, 12:59 PM
I'm Pretty casual b20 dancing waifu dressing visiphone camping casual. ;_;

SakoHaruo
Oct 24, 2014, 01:00 PM
Lies. I never see you there.

NoiseHERO
Oct 24, 2014, 01:06 PM
All my accessories combined have to be worth around 200 mil. @_@

But that's not actually a lot...

RealKillaK
Oct 24, 2014, 01:27 PM
Lies. I never see you there.

Huh? I'm Always in b20 when i'm on that is

Sacrificial
Oct 24, 2014, 01:47 PM
I'm MultiCore in pso2.

huehue.

Almost been here since beta so pretty long to be hardcore i guess

SakoHaruo
Oct 24, 2014, 02:38 PM
Huh? I'm Always in b20 when i'm on that is

You do!

But not as muh waifu Asumi. Yeah she mine now. I picked her up in the waifu draft o3o

RealKillaK
Oct 24, 2014, 03:10 PM
You do!

But not as muh waifu Asumi. Yeah she mine now. I picked her up in the waifu draft o3o

Lol I'm always in b20 on Asumi i rarely play my other characters outside of ta and leveling mags (which i always forget)

Vampy
Oct 24, 2014, 03:15 PM
Lol I'm always in b20 on Asumi i rarely play my other characters outside of ta and leveling mags (which i always forget)

I should stalk you I hardly ever play with you then again I am always derping around minding my own business.

LonelyGaruga
Oct 24, 2014, 04:44 PM
everyone has their viewpoints and rights but god do i hate this phrase

I agree on this. Hardcore is the only way to have fun for me. If you don't do your best, why are you even playing? Hardcore and fun are not contradictory.

Chik'Tikka
Oct 25, 2014, 04:29 PM
For awhile, I think I was in the top 5% of players, but, with all my work, and wedding stuff, I slipped into the top 10-15%
This is among freemium players anyway, I've played more then a 1,000 hours without any amenities like shop or trading. Infinite my room tho considering all the 10*s that drop everywhere now+^_^+

Jaqlou Swig KING
Oct 25, 2014, 04:40 PM
Since I have a limited amount of time I'm willing to give this game a week, I have to be hard core to knock everything out that I want to get done as quickly as possible. Thankfully, playing hard core doesn't "take the fun out" for me, since playing badly/average at games isn't fun to me anyway. I do still dedicate an hour or two to just dicking around with friends. But when it's time to play, I'm wrapping that shit up as soon as possible, and that means no time wasting bullshit no damage 10s boss fights let's fighting!

Edit: too lazy to wrap hardcore in quotes.

Z-0
Oct 25, 2014, 05:04 PM
I agree on this. Hardcore is the only way to have fun for me. If you don't do your best, why are you even playing? Hardcore and fun are not contradictory.
There's nothing really wrong with using the terms "for fun" and "for efficiency" or any variation of it (dislike all variations of political correctness), providing you know what the person means, but the idea that people who like efficiency aren't playing a game to enjoy themselves is absurd. Isn't that the reason we all play games? Even people who play for money do it because they enjoy video games.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/733/157/841.png

NoiseHERO
Oct 25, 2014, 05:16 PM
The thing about the whole casuals(scrubs) vs Pros(tryhards) in gaming thing is that both sides have a lot of people that need to shut up, and everyone else can live in harmony or at least stay dafuq out of each other's way without drama.

I think being just one or the other is boring though. Life needs balance, tryhard when it matters and bask in the glory, or chillax for fun and laugh the game away.

Gama
Oct 25, 2014, 05:24 PM
Gama you need to dress up more though.
That skeleton suit is the first time I saw you with more than 2% deviation or your usual outfit lol.

hmmm?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10156109_10202372842437175_3974679555157131503_n.j pg?oh=dfef0a82502edad7bb63cebf2f6902df&oe=54E68833&__gda__=1420532871_3037a6d039fd782e859e977781ca6d3 3

i like being consistent with my image, the lack of clothing that i find interesting for males dosent help much.

Kanade
Oct 25, 2014, 05:56 PM
tex = casual o3o

Ce'Nedra
Oct 25, 2014, 06:14 PM
There's nothing really wrong with using the terms "for fun" and "for efficiency" or any variation of it (dislike all variations of political correctness), providing you know what the person means, but the idea that people who like efficiency aren't playing a game to enjoy themselves is absurd.

Only shame is that there are people, specially here, that are insanely rude to everyone that doesn't meet their level off efficiency. I don't mind at all if people want to play that way and want to teach to others but I just notice people are just rude about it. Especially if people say they don't care much for efficiency at all. :/

I personally don't see the fun in playing min-max top DPS and I like it when monsters don't melt the moment they spawn and can at least attempt to put up a fight, as far as their limited AI let them.

Just let everyone play how they want to and do as you like yourself.

Enforcer MKV
Oct 25, 2014, 06:18 PM
both sides have a lot of people that need to shut up

Preeeeeeeeeeetty much.

Selphea
Oct 25, 2014, 06:24 PM
I'm a super casual HP-affixing, full Dex mag and crafted gear-using, subclass Bouncer on ranged class-playing noob scrub :3!

Jaqlou Swig KING
Oct 25, 2014, 06:32 PM
I see about as many hardcore players saying "MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY" as I do casual players saying "Hardcore players/tryhards are jerks/stuck up". Both are a vocal annoyance, most people in general don't give a shit how anyone else is playing but themselves. I play with a bunch of diehards, who can't survive more than 5 Seconds of a boss fight, but I don't care unless I'm the one dying. Cuz that means I fucked and disappointed my family.

Though I really only see hardcore players bitch when it's related to an EMQ like Luther/TDs. Before those came out I saw way more casuals complaining about hardcore players for quad dashing in TAs for whatever reason, I would have just shutup and enjoyed the free ride, but that's just me. :wacko:

Squal_FFVIII
Oct 25, 2014, 06:52 PM
I love try hards in TA's for sure aswell lol The harder they try the faster I get my meseta ^^

SakoHaruo
Oct 25, 2014, 06:56 PM
Today I was hardcore for 1 hours. After failing to force 7s onto a weapen I went back to dancing in the lobby. I used to 6s Elder Soul if you're wondering.

#Yolo

Achelousaurus
Oct 25, 2014, 07:53 PM
>7s today when using twice the fodder is just around the corner

If you don't want your money, I will gladly take.
I am even selling a ton of accessories.

Selphea
Oct 25, 2014, 07:56 PM
Is there a reason to party for TAs? I personally find the time it takes to put a party together is longer than the time it takes to just run the TA from start to finish o.o

BIG OLAF
Oct 25, 2014, 07:58 PM
Is there a reason to party for TAs? I personally find the time it takes to put a party together is longer than the time it takes to just run the TA from start to finish o.o

Right, but the time it takes for someone else to put a party together for TAs might be ten seconds.

So, it's subjective on a case-by-case basis, no?

It's worth doing it with at least one other person if you can, but, if not, then that's cool.

Selphea
Oct 25, 2014, 08:09 PM
If they're partying with someone of a clashing playstyle I'd assume it was a pug.

SakoHaruo
Oct 26, 2014, 09:32 AM

Then you're probably forming parties in the wrong block. I still run my TAs in the TA Block every week, and the best part about it is.. 95% of the time the players there are efficient TAers. This whole weekly TA set up has scared all the bad kids that used to go there for TAs away. Just go there during JP prime and I guarantee you that you can find/form a party in 5mins or less, especially after an EQ has finished.

Keilyn
Oct 26, 2014, 06:08 PM
Im not as hardcore as I used to be.

I used to play competitive gaming in global competitions in leagues and ladders. My team won some global tournaments and we were known everywhere. One reason I play PSO2 is because I do not need to be competitive.

In fact, once my character has equipment I can stand, I can "Just play" and do the runs and go between playing "Dress Up" and "Map Hopping"

Phantasy Star has the effect that Guild Wars had on me.

I got to meet many people, care more about characters and the personality of players and not have to focus on being so hardcore. Even when I was a World vs World Commander in Guild Wars 2 in the WvW Season....

...where I combined my small guild with a lot of militia to demolish groups nearly twice our size in attack and defense, I was not really super hard core. I simply liked the personality I liked...

A moment I still have in gaming comes from the original pso on dreamcast. :)

I used to play early in the morning in 2001. I had a group of four that we played together for many months. It was myself (NA based), Jun hime (French/Japanese Girl I actually met in real life when she took a trip to the states), Sou (Japanese Player, classmate of Yoiko), and of course the super upbeat Yoiko....(Japanese player)

The Japanese players wanted to learn English, Jun and I wanted to get better in Japanese, and things worked out. In fact, Yoiko actually rubbed off some of her habits which exist still in me. :)

I also liked the small group I had in PSU NA/EU. ^_^ That was pretty fun. They were the ones who kept me in the game, as I was going to leave the game after returning and capping characters. Eventually I renewed my sub to remain, because I liked playing with them a lot. Of course I got hurt by some of them later (but what else is new?)

I still had fun. ^_^