PDA

View Full Version : The first half of the current fiscal year hasn’t been great for SEGA

Manta Oyamada
Nov 2, 2014, 10:48 PM
The first half of the current fiscal year hasn’t been great for SEGA as the company suffered an overall loss of ¥2 billion ($17.9 million).

In the period ending September 30, 2014, SEGA raked ¥154.2 billion ($1.38 billion) in revenue, which is down five percent year-on-year. Operating profit was also down 72 per cent to ¥3.45 billion ($30.9 million). Less than a third of the total revenue came from SEGA’s game division. The company only released one console game in the second quarter of the year, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, which was a Japanese release during the accounting period. The game sold 230,000 units before the end of September.

Much of the SEGA game division’s ¥48.2 billion ($439 million) revenue came from digital games such has PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2, which accounted for ¥21.9 billion ($196 million) of the revenue figure. Packaged games brought in ¥15.3 billion ($137 million).
It’s worth noting that Alien: Isolation launched a week after the accounting period closed, so SEGA’s nine-month results are expected to be much better.

NoiseHERO
Nov 2, 2014, 10:49 PM
Stay mediocre SEGs

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 2, 2014, 10:54 PM
Unsurprising news is unsurprising.

gigawuts
Nov 2, 2014, 11:03 PM
Much of the SEGA game division’s ¥48.2 billion ($439 million) revenue came from digital games such has PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2, which accounted for ¥21.9 billion ($196 million) of the revenue figure. Packaged games brought in ¥15.3 billion ($137 million).

Did you mean the digital games were ¥21.9 billion in total, or PSO2 specifically accounted for ¥21.9 billion?

Because if PSO2 is making up nearly 45% of sega's game profits...I'm actually surprised. I knew PSO2 would be making a hefty sum, but I didn't think it would be nearly that large of a portion of their profits. I guess I just expected them to have other stuff going on.

Alien: Isolation looks really good and I'm hearing some pretty great things about it, so I'm curious to see how that does.

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 2, 2014, 11:21 PM
Did you mean the digital games were ¥21.9 billion in total, or PSO2 specifically accounted for ¥21.9 billion?

Because if PSO2 is making up nearly 45% of sega's game profits...I'm actually surprised. I knew PSO2 would be making a hefty sum, but I didn't think it would be nearly that large of a portion of their profits. I guess I just expected them to have other stuff going on.

Alien: Isolation looks really good and I'm hearing some pretty great things about it, so I'm curious to see how that does.

Alien: Isolation has renewed my faith in the Survival Horror genre. Sorry Shinji Mikami, but The Evil Within is a reskinned Resident Evil of new and you know it.

But yeah, Alien: Isolation. Good game. ._.b

ShinMaruku
Nov 2, 2014, 11:21 PM
Sega relies too much on too few things. They need to use their warchest and ips. But who am I kidding we won't get Bayonetta 3. :P

wefwq
Nov 2, 2014, 11:24 PM
Well that's explain alot for all of those PSO2 AC campaign stuff going on, then.

Selphea
Nov 2, 2014, 11:26 PM
I wonder how much more they would have made if they bothered to get PSO2 to the West.

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 2, 2014, 11:29 PM
I wonder how much more they would have made if they bothered to get PSO2 to the West.

Beat me to it.

You gotta figure, PSO2 is different from a lot of Online Action games we have in the west, and MMO fans would also love it. Also factoring in that there are a ton of fans out there probably still waiting for a western release, and I think there would be a sizable player base in the west for it.

But no, SEGA is gonna keep SGEA'ing. :wacko:

infiniteeverlasting
Nov 2, 2014, 11:37 PM
I'd rather not get a western release. Staying on the glorious oh elite jpn server has kept me from the "trash casuals" of 'murica.

XD jk, but dayum, 21.9 bil? And how much does that little Moba game called league make?

mysticalre
Nov 2, 2014, 11:48 PM
Beat me to it.

You gotta figure, PSO2 is different from a lot of Online Action games we have in the west, and MMO fans would also love it. Also factoring in that there are a ton of fans out there probably still waiting for a western release, and I think there would be a sizable player base in the west for it.

But no, SEGA is gonna keep SGEA'ing. :wacko:

I wonder if the ISP switch that prevents most foreign fans from accessing the game made any difference

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 2, 2014, 11:50 PM
I wonder if the ISP switch that prevents most foreign fans from accessing the game made any difference

I doubt it made that big of an impact, and even if it did, SEGA sure as hell wouldn't say that. I don't think any company in their position would.

Hobu
Nov 3, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hey, I'd rather not play a localized version of PSO2. But if we get an expansion pack that allows us to play our characters offline and get bonus items that can be carried over online, that would be great.

I miss PSU already.

landman
Nov 3, 2014, 06:29 AM
Packaged games brought in ¥15.3 billion ($137 million).
That's kind of surprising considering they only released a Vita game in Japan and the Emperor Edition of Total War Whatever.

Q3 is where they are releasing everything at least in the west: Alien, Sonic, Sonic, Miku... oh and Valkyria Chonicles PC port was leaked and then announced, everyone go pre-order 10... NO, 20 copies on Steam, I want VC4 to happen!!! (or more ports of other games).

GreenArcher
Nov 3, 2014, 11:37 AM
I'd rather not get a western release. Staying on the glorious oh elite jpn server has kept me from the "trash casuals" of 'murica.

XD jk, but dayum, 21.9 bil? And how much does that little Moba game called league make?

Just to be clear, you're quoting a yen amount. The dollar amount is $196 million for the first half of 2014. League generated $946 million for the first 9 months of 2014

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 3, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hey, I'd rather not play a localized version of PSO2. But if we get an expansion pack that allows us to play our characters offline and get bonus items that can be carried over online, that would be great.

I miss PSU already.

On the positive side of things, if we got a localized PSO2, maybe we'd actually have more decent outfits for the guys from the AC scratches.

Lostbob117
Nov 3, 2014, 11:53 AM

That's in Yen, converting it to US Cash it would only be $196 million. Just like Manta said.

Zysets
Nov 3, 2014, 12:45 PM
If Sega localized PSO2, I could definitely see people at least trying the game out. I know many people who don't feel like playing the JP version only because of the constant english patching and the language barrier between the japanese and foreign players. They could also make a steam release in the west to really spread the word a bit more.

I personally wouldn't switch over from the JP servers though, I've already invested a lot of time, and a good amount of money, but I still think a western release could be pretty neat.

Magicks
Nov 3, 2014, 01:44 PM
Just to be clear, you're quoting a yen amount. The dollar amount is $196 million for the first half of 2014. League generated $946 million for the first 9 months of 2014

Where did you get that number? :T I've been trying to google that, but couldn't find anything outside of Tencent's earnings.

I think the idea of PSO2 on Steam would be interesting; it would definitely generate interest. But at this point, they're going to have to do quite a bit of advertising to get the hype level from 2 years ago back. (And I'm talking about the official NA site that's been up, but hasn't been updated since its announcement. )

Laxedrane
Nov 3, 2014, 03:13 PM
Other companies took a lost earlier this year(I am looking at you nintendo) so it might just be a decline in the business more then the usual sega failing at life.

Vetur
Nov 3, 2014, 03:19 PM
On the positive side of things, if we got a localized PSO2, maybe we'd actually have more decent outfits for the guys from the AC scratches.

I kind of wonder too, since the west usually does pay more attention to gender equality stuff(and because slightly more guys in the west actually play on male characters than in Japan XD)... though part of me really doubts they'd want to put any effort to do that. I think the Thailand server has a male-exclusive hairstyle(not in JPPSO2) that's really really really pretty, so maybe each country does make some items for themselves.
Would be awesome to get an equal amount of male outfits per scratch(even if it's just revivals/recolors).
I was a bit upset that the Halloween scratch revived the white wonder outfit for girls, but not the white one for boys(so it's still in the multi-millions).

If Sega localized PSO2, I could definitely see people at least trying the game out. I know many people who don't feel like playing the JP version only because of the constant english patching and the language barrier between the japanese and foreign players. They could also make a steam release in the west to really spread the word a bit more.

I personally wouldn't switch over from the JP servers though, I've already invested a lot of time, and a good amount of money, but I still think a western release could be pretty neat.

Totally agree with this. There's not many good action-MMOs out there, and PSO2's combat is even more unique among action MMOs. Also how low end computers can even handle PSO2... they'd be able to get a lot more players because of that too. I have two friends who can't handle any new MMOs due to their computer being really old/bad(Mabinogi even lags badly for them), yet they can handle PSO2 fine without much lag.

Akaimizu
Nov 3, 2014, 03:35 PM
I would be a little less interested in a Western release if Sega would finally make their game accessable to the world again, instead of forcing people to VPN their way in.

But alas, that was enough of an inconvenience that when I move around to locations outside of my personal home, I can pretty much kiss doing that stuff goodbye. This also pretty much ruins it for Vita connections, while on the move.

So due to circumstances, I had to say goodbye to the game.

I do hear people on the lack of Male options. PSO2, even before the DDoS, was beginning to look like a Target store. The clothing department of Women taking up half the entire store, while the clothing for men and boys being that tiny little spot in the store corner. (Good luck finding anything you can use in there, in your size)

I can sort of understand being that Phantasy Star's overall society is built upon the idea that their first major hero was female, that adventurers could be more weighted on female participation. But this can sometimes border on a role reversal of an internet joke. There are no male adventurers in Phantasy Star. :) There's also a severe lack of tomboys who dress the part.

Laxedrane
Nov 3, 2014, 04:00 PM

Plus the players who might not be able to play(Or don't want to pay more) anymore due to DDOS attacks earlier this year might actually still want to play. If they weren't soured by the whole incident.

Hobu
Nov 3, 2014, 04:15 PM
The thing is... can other companies do it like SEGA? Yeah, SEGA has bad aspects but what guarantees that other publishers won't pull an Asiasoft and kill a game before it's second year? Because yes, they do that.

Localizing a game is good, but does the publisher have what it takes to keep the game running for years? If no, I'd rather not invest time and money on something so short and temporary.

Vetur
Nov 3, 2014, 04:21 PM
I would be a little less interested in a Western release if Sega would finally make their game accessable to the world again, instead of forcing people to VPN their way in.

But alas, that was enough of an inconvenience that when I move around to locations outside of my personal home, I can pretty much kiss doing that stuff goodbye. This also pretty much ruins it for Vita connections, while on the move.

So due to circumstances, I had to say goodbye to the game.

I do hear people on the lack of Male options. PSO2, even before the DDoS, was beginning to look like a Target store. The clothing department of Women taking up half the entire store, while the clothing for men and boys being that tiny little spot in the store corner. (Good luck finding anything you can use in there, in your size)

I can sort of understand being that Phantasy Star's overall society is built upon the idea that their first major hero was female, that adventurers could be more weighted on female participation. But this can sometimes border on a role reversal of an internet joke. There are no male adventurers in Phantasy Star. :) There's also a severe lack of tomboys who dress the part.

Yeah I really like tomboy characters, but they're so rare. xD Well my cast is one most of the time(though sometimes can't resist putting a dress on once in awhile). I really want the lady butler outfit for her though. If there's any outfits girls DO need, it's suits with pants.

I do think they should still at least try to do better with balancing male and female items, though. Like females can use almost every hair in the game, and males only have a few options in comparison... @_@

I think they'd make a lot more money if guys could wear more of the hairstyles, tights, and such, because some girl hairs would look good on them, and I know there are people who play on "trap" or drag queen characters too. I don't see why tights/socks should be restricted to females either(but I guess there's not really revealing male outfits that work with them).
Also because the tomboy/bishounen hairstyles really seem to be in demand(I'm judging by their ridiculous prices), I think they'd make more money if they did make more unisex styles.

Well, I like that they will add the ability to change accessories outside of the salon, then I think that accessories would be more likely to sell too, since people can easily change them.

Stealthcmc1974
Nov 3, 2014, 05:30 PM
Yeah I really like tomboy characters, but they're so rare. xD Well my cast is one most of the time(though sometimes can't resist putting a dress on once in awhile). I really want the lady butler outfit for her though. If there's any outfits girls DO need, it's suits with pants.

I do think they should still at least try to do better with balancing male and female items, though. Like females can use almost every hair in the game, and males only have a few options in comparison... @_@

I think they'd make a lot more money if guys could wear more of the hairstyles, tights, and such, because some girl hairs would look good on them, and I know there are people who play on "trap" or drag queen characters too. I don't see why tights/socks should be restricted to females either(but I guess there's not really revealing male outfits that work with them).
Also because the tomboy/bishounen hairstyles really seem to be in demand(I'm judging by their ridiculous prices), I think they'd make more money if they did make more unisex styles.

Well, I like that they will add the ability to change accessories outside of the salon, then I think that accessories would be more likely to sell too, since people can easily change them.

My main character Niare is a tomboy. The girliest thing I've ever had her wear is Magia Savior or Heart Breaker, but that's it. I totally agree on the whole suits with pants thing. Gotta represent the tomboys! ^^

The way it is now, SEGA will balance the costume and accessories to have more girl-like stuff because that is what the majority of the population has their character(s) as. Sad but that's how it is.

If you want that to change, good luck getting all the JP players to agree.

LordKaiser
Nov 3, 2014, 06:17 PM
SEGA's situation in the west all summed up in a single screenshot.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/iOsG3j3.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

SakoHaruo
Nov 3, 2014, 08:02 PM
Why are you carrying so many mates as Braver?

Zysets
Nov 4, 2014, 12:04 AM
Totally agree with this. There's not many good action-MMOs out there, and PSO2's combat is even more unique among action MMOs. Also how low end computers can even handle PSO2... they'd be able to get a lot more players because of that too. I have two friends who can't handle any new MMOs due to their computer being really old/bad(Mabinogi even lags badly for them), yet they can handle PSO2 fine without much lag.

Plus the players who might not be able to play(Or don't want to pay more) anymore due to DDOS attacks earlier this year might actually still want to play. If they weren't soured by the whole incident.

Those are some great points. PSO2 is pretty accessible hardware wise, I usually play on a laptop that's a few years old, and it can handle mediumish settings, I doubt running the game itself is an issue for most people. That should be pretty appealing.

And with the recent DDoS attacks, I've had minimal problems with them (lucky me I guess), but I can see people being put off by recent events.

Sega should really localize this game, it actually has potential here in the west, Sega just needs to do their part. Phantasy Star is, overall, an amazing series, not just the online games, classic series as well. I feel like the series as a whole could have definitely gained traction in the west if Sega just worked things out a bit better, you know?

Achelousaurus
Nov 4, 2014, 06:24 AM
Why are you carrying so many mates as Braver?
What would be the point of not getting all mates?
All 3 are useful even if you only use a few per run.

This is exactly the same as my subpalette except the order of fury, avg and kc.
Star Atomizers are purely optional but sometimes I use them and they are nice to have on your fp.

Anyway, didn't we have this exact same topic half a year ago?
Nothing seems to have changed for Sega.
They need to put more effort into PSO2 and expand it more and get a bigger player base, capitalizing on their actually profitable products.

They could always lower some AC prices, give more boosts, more campaigns, etc..
There are plenty already but you can never have enough customers.
Get more content, for example they still have so many awesome entries from the design contests.

More collaborations, too. I can't imagine that new costumes, weapon camos and voices are hard to implement or take long so there could be more of this to also keep current players more interested and make them buy more scratch.

tl;dr: Sega could just milk PSO2 more if it's one of their most profitable products and many others cause losses.

GreenArcher
Nov 4, 2014, 11:19 AM
Where did you get that number? :T I've been trying to google that, but couldn't find anything outside of Tencent's earnings.

I think the idea of PSO2 on Steam would be interesting; it would definitely generate interest. But at this point, they're going to have to do quite a bit of advertising to get the hype level from 2 years ago back. (And I'm talking about the official NA site that's been up, but hasn't been updated since its announcement. )

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/24/7061573/how-league-of-legends-is-upending-the-video-game-business

This is what I was looking at