PDA

View Full Version : Does rifle barrel length affect hitbox?

escarlata
Nov 3, 2014, 11:12 PM
Currently 50/50 Ra/Hu, and I recently switched my rifle from L schwann to calci weapon after I managed to 50 element the latter. After which, I found it somewhat more difficult to land point blank HE in TPS, and sometimes the bullets would just fly through its targets. I have been considering if the point of which the shots come out is related to the barrel length, or am i just misjudging the distance because of the barrel length?

Shadowth117
Nov 3, 2014, 11:19 PM
In this game as far as I am aware, weapon models do NOT affect any attack spawn points; unlike PSU I might add.

Bellion
Nov 3, 2014, 11:48 PM
Yeah, shotgun Homing Emission is slightly more difficult on Zesh knee caps with a long barreled rifle such as Bio than something like those short darker racist rifles from the ruins.

Longer launchers have slightly more reach with Flame Bullet. Your Cluster Bullet distance is also impacted by which launcher you choose.

Mattykins
Nov 3, 2014, 11:59 PM
I imagine that something redonk like Firearms has some degree of reach issues. I had trouble using Diffuse Shell with my Firearm since it tended to go right over mobs' heads D:

Achelousaurus
Nov 4, 2014, 05:45 AM
._.
Y u do this, Sega?

This is stupid as hell. It means for optimal effect you can't use weapon camo or are forced to use one. This kinda stuff should have been a thing of the past with camos, you should be able to get the exact same effect from your weapon with a camo.
Also, model size shouldn't matter, it's such an unimportant detail.

Speaking of which, does the Soulblade Yukihime Katana camo give you more reach than a short Katana like Boulay Obs?
Or does this only affect rifle and launcher?

Ordy
Nov 4, 2014, 06:05 AM
As someone who's been playing RA a lot (pretty much the only class I play), I can confirm this.

Before the bio weapons release, I used to play for months using an arao cylinder, then switch to bio rifle because Impact Slider boost too strong ... but wow it sure fucked up my aiming, I used to miss 3/4 of my Diffuse shells the first few days. SH mobs running too close, PA hitting the body and not the head, weird HE shots on fangs ...

I'm not sure about the other weapons but rifles 3D model does seem to affect hitboxes.

gigawuts
Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 AM
darker racist

That's hilarious.

I know what I'm calling racial racist latents from now on.

Evangelion X.XX
Nov 4, 2014, 10:50 AM
Also, model size shouldn't matter, it's such an unimportant detail.

This is funny... almost made it my sig...

LonelyGaruga
Nov 4, 2014, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure about the other weapons but rifles 3D model does seem to affect hitboxes.

I can confirm that wand melee changes based on weapon length. Mugetsu Ounusa is a lot longer than, say, Pristine Small Hammer, and the range difference is quite noticeable.

It's probably safe to assume that all melee weapons have their normals altered by the size of the weapon, aside from possibly things like Jet Boots. Can't say for sure about Photon Arts though.

Sacrificial
Nov 4, 2014, 11:41 AM
Rifle and launcher lengths do have a different "spawn" for the bullets and shells. I have tested this a lot, since it can really affect game play.

Pugas87
Nov 4, 2014, 11:56 AM
I can confirm that wand melee changes based on weapon length. Mugetsu Ounusa is a lot longer than, say, Pristine Small Hammer, and the range difference is quite noticeable.

It's probably safe to assume that all melee weapons have their normals altered by the size of the weapon, aside from possibly things like Jet Boots. Can't say for sure about Photon Arts though.

Agreed. I just switched from franka's frying pan camo to majima goro bat and I noticed a significant difference. From videos it looks like the vivid heart camos would be even better? It's kinda bullsh!t that this is a thing but whatever.

Rien
Nov 4, 2014, 12:00 PM
I equipped jeweled sword zelretch and my melee range was... funny, to say the least.

Rayden
Nov 4, 2014, 04:20 PM
Wait, what? Which wand or wand camo has the best range, then?

Bellion
Nov 4, 2014, 04:27 PM
I think this camo is the longest, maybe. http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%EF%BC%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AC%E3% 83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF

TaigaUC
Nov 4, 2014, 09:38 PM
A while back, I saw JP commenters talking about launcher barrel length affecting PAs.
Didn't realize it applied to other weapons. Explains the issues I've had with Diffuse Shell.

I think this camo is the longest, maybe. http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%EF%BC%8A%E3%82%B7%E3%83%B3%E3%82%AC%E3% 83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%9E%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AF

Is that part of the reason why it costs so much?

Achelousaurus
Nov 5, 2014, 04:53 AM
Leave it to sega to turn something that should have been a purely cosmetic change into an important gameplay change.

I don't even know why they would do this, you'd think maybe to avoid clipping issues but there is so much clipping everywhere else.

Again, leave it to Sega to do everything halfassed and in the wrong part of the game.

LonelyGaruga
Nov 5, 2014, 12:51 PM
MH does the exact same thing. It's not just Sega. Far as I know it's standard practice.

gigawuts
Nov 5, 2014, 01:13 PM
It could be part of weapon balance, if camos didn't exist.

Camos affecting it is the only BS part.

Dephinix
Nov 5, 2014, 02:29 PM
Something realistic is bad nowadays? I like that this is here, wish more games had it.

Sanguine2009
Nov 5, 2014, 02:42 PM
i actually like it, good job for once sega. i hope the upcoming scissor wand camo has good or decent range.

Kondibon
Nov 5, 2014, 02:58 PM
Something realistic is bad nowadays? I like that this is here, wish more games had it.It's good in games that are balanced around it. This isn't one of them.

LonelyGaruga
Nov 5, 2014, 03:07 PM
MH doesn't do that either. Though it does lack camos.

The range difference is not significant enough to make a difference, really. If a weapon has less or more reach, that's just how it is. It's not going to matter except in extreme cases, which don't exist in PSO2.

Kondibon
Nov 5, 2014, 03:16 PM
It's worth mentioning that this happens with techs as well. The distance you need to be to properly point blank techs is different for different weapons. It's entirely possible to wiff point blank ilgrants with a rod if you're too close. I think it's less of an issue than with rifles or launchers though.

gigawuts
Nov 5, 2014, 03:30 PM
MH doesn't do that either. Though it does lack camos.

The range difference is not significant enough to make a difference, really. If a weapon has less or more reach, that's just how it is. It's not going to matter except in extreme cases, which don't exist in PSO2.

I've tried diffuse shell with fire arms - that gets rather annoying rather fast at times.

Maenara
Nov 7, 2014, 12:40 AM
You guys are the only people in the world pissed that some gameplay has more realistic depth than you thought it did.

Lumpen Thingy
Nov 7, 2014, 12:42 AM
You guys are the only people in the world pissed that some gameplay has more realistic depth than you thought it did.

this is POS-world. if it isn't one thing people bitch about its just 10 more things. Its like every other forum I've ever been in that has to do with mmos.

Maenara
Nov 7, 2014, 12:55 AM
Seriously, this thread is "I have to slightly adjust my methods for weapons of the same type! That's so shitty! Why can't all weapons of the same type be the exact same weapon with different numbers?"

escarlata
Nov 7, 2014, 12:59 AM
Seriously, this thread is "I have to slightly adjust my methods for weapons of the same type! with other people commentingThat's so shitty! Why can't all weapons of the same type be the exact same weapon with different numbers?"
Fixed. The way you phrased it makes me feel words are being put in my mouth

Maenara
Nov 7, 2014, 01:02 AM
The effect is the same.