PDA

View Full Version : recently, running the game makes my comp insanely loud?

onlysaneone
Dec 6, 2014, 12:04 AM
i patched the game this week after not playing for a while. the moment my character loads into the ship, my computer's hum turns hella loud, like its installing something x2.

i have no lag or gameplay related issues, and the last time i played, maybe a week or two ago, everything was fine. this game made my comp hum very quietly before

i tried looking that the task manager but pso2 doesnt even show up on there? and besides that, no crazy high cpu, memory, or disk usage appeared

sol_trigger
Dec 6, 2014, 07:42 AM
check fans .

NoiseHERO
Dec 6, 2014, 07:49 AM
^ this

clean em?

Lumpen Thingy
Dec 6, 2014, 08:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nXy6Jd8oPs

Chigun
Dec 6, 2014, 09:05 AM
This happened to me. It was my power unit. Eventually it began humming and shaking outside of PSO2 so who knows if it was coincidence or whatnot. Power units can be replaced for relatively cheap.

Unfortunately for me I didn't replace mine, let it go on being loud as hell for months. Now my computer is in heaven. :3 ...and I'm using my brother's computer.

NoiseHERO
Dec 6, 2014, 09:11 AM
Wait how'd it end up in heaven?

Cuz mine just died few days ago too but rest of PC was fine.

Edson Drake
Dec 6, 2014, 01:08 PM
Interestingly enough my previous gfx died while I was playing PSO2.

Do you use the tweaker? Did you restored default settings recently? There is an option which may cause that behaviour, framerate limiter. Leave it at 60 for economy mode, 90 for quicker loading screens, or 120 for the same purpose, and unlimited which is the default and uses 100% gfx power.

The game isn't demanding enough for modern gfx cards so you may safely always leave it at 60 FPS, the card will be very silent at that setting.

V-Sync also applies to this, but you'd need to use Virtual Fullscreen and force it on the card's own settings.

onlysaneone
Dec 6, 2014, 05:43 PM
thx, i vacuumed my comp and im gonna try it at limited 120 fps and see how it goes

EDIT: all good now

Syklo
Dec 6, 2014, 06:10 PM
Interestingly enough my previous gfx died while I was playing PSO2.

Do you use the tweaker? Did you restored default settings recently? There is an option which may cause that behaviour, framerate limiter. Leave it at 60 for economy mode, 90 for quicker loading screens, or 120 for the same purpose, and unlimited which is the default and uses 100% gfx power.

The game isn't demanding enough for modern gfx cards so you may safely always leave it at 60 FPS, the card will be very silent at that setting.

V-Sync also applies to this, but you'd need to use Virtual Fullscreen and force it on the card's own settings.
I thought V-sync only worked with regular fullscreen?

Anyway, yes the frame limiter is highly recommended (I wish this was available in ALL games).
As for the noise, check the fan. If it's clean, replace it - the bearings might have worn off.
Or the power unit, but idk about that.

Aeris
Dec 6, 2014, 06:48 PM
I thought V-sync only worked with regular fullscreen?

Anyway, yes the frame limiter is highly recommended (I wish this was available in ALL games).
As for the noise, check the fan. If it's clean, replace it - the bearings might have worn off.
Or the power unit, but idk about that.

If the power unit fan is faulty, you have to replace the whole unit since you can't repair that due to no serviceable parts inside power supply units.