PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0 - Player Character Rigging!

HardLight620
Dec 7, 2014, 04:18 PM
Please Note:
This project has been suspended indefinitely and cannot be used with the current version of PSO2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFz3O4HqTsc

Screenshots:
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i58.tinypic.com/333zqtt.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2801swl.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/aokf20.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qmkzr6.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zohpwh.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2exudfp.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/2hyi246.png

http://i59.tinypic.com/20tqz49.png

http://i60.tinypic.com/ibj56s.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/inyfk3.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Features
- Full player model rigging so you can see your character's body as you play.
- Genuine stereoscopic rendering.
- Oculus Rift DK2 distortion mesh integration.
- A minimalistic, easy to use interface. Just drag the PSO2 window over to your HMD screen, maximize it, and you're done.
- Adjustments to the game's controls that allow you to use the mouse, gamepad, or head tracking controls to move and aim.
- FOV, IPD, and Height settings that can be adjusted and saved in the application.
- Toggleable settings that allow the game to be played in first person with or without an Oculus Rift.
- A lightweight game mirror that can show the game on another window while the actual game is running on the HMD screen.

In-game Controls:
Ctrl + [R] - Recenter the HMD
Ctrl + [~] - Hide/Show the UI
Alt + [~] - Toggle between running and walking

Configuration Notes:
The default eye-neck and neck-torso offsets have been tuned for a character with a height of ~175cm. Generally, PSO2 characters are shorter than this, so it may be necessary to determine offsets that work best with your character. The forward offset can be estimated fairly easily by using the cross-legged sit emote to square your character's shoulders and then lining them up to your own shoulders. The salute emote will cause your character to place their hand just above their eyes. Try to maintain the default ratio for the eye-neck and neck-torso offsets for the best results.

There's a tunable for character transparency as some actions such as guarding may obscure your vision. Having your character at around 85% opacity allows you to see through your character when you need to, but isn't all that noticeable otherwise.

It is recommend that you play with rotation tracking on and head tracking off to keep your body properly lined up with your head. Not much testing has been done with position tracking on, so it may not work as expected.

Troubleshooting

- If running the patcher causes the program to throw off an error and close, it may be a compatibility issue with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable or the Microsoft .NET Framework. Try redownloading those two and see if it helps.

- Running the game while the Oculus HMD is connected under Oculus Runtime version 0.6.0.0 will cause the game to crash. If you encounter this, you can get the version 0.5.0.1 installer from the downloads below.

Download Links

Out of date since client version v3.1002.0
Updates have been suspended indefinitely

- PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0p 64-bit
- PSO2 Virtual Connect v2.0p 32-bit

- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=40784)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=30653)
- Oculus Rift Runtime 0.5.0.1 (https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/#version=pc-0.5.0.1-beta)

Version History
Major.Minor[Revision]
(Trivial revisions omitted)

[SPOILER-BOX]

v2.1p:
- Retargeted for client version 3.1002.0

v2.1o:
- Retargeted for client version 3.0902.1

v2.1n:
- Retargeted for client version 3.0902.0

v2.1l:
- Reduced default connection interval from 100ms to 10ms
- Added options for setting connection interval and target process name to preferences.ini

v2.1e:
- Retargeted for pso2.exe v3.0602.0
- Fixed bug where the player character's shadow had no head when in FPS mode
- Fixed bug where some characters' heads would be improperly positioned during cutscenes.
- Fixed body positioning judder when jumping in FPS mode.
- Fixed bug where the player's mag was invisible while in FPS mode.
- Areas outside of the distortion mesh will now be properly cleared to black when switching to distortion rendering.

v2.0:

- Added inverse character rigging.
- Added character body opacity tunable.
- Added tunables for eye-to-neck and neck-to-torso camera offsets.
- Fixed FPS camera position disparity between regular, TPS, and locked on camera views.
- Disabled camera view transitions when exiting through the mission gate and talking with NPCs.
- NPCs will no longer vanish when you get too close to them.

v1.3c:

- Added Walk Speed adjustment control to the preferences window.

v1.3

- Retargeted for pso2.exe v3.0302.0
- Added Ctrl + [~] key binding for toggling off the UI.
- Added Alt + [~] key binding for toggling between running and walking.
- Added Ctrl + [R] key binding for recentering the HMD.
- Fixed bug preventing twin machineguns from aiming properly when in the standard camera mode.

v1.2:

- Retargeted for pso2.exe v3.0301.1
- Added support for HMD distortion rendering.
- Eye height settings are now measured from the ground up.
- Modified interact lockon indicator to be less intrusive when playing in first person mode.
- Added the option to reverse the visibility state of the action palette. With this option on, the action palette is hidden by default and can be shown by hitting 'T'.
- Added HMD profile support. Eye height and IPD settings will now automatically be copied from the HMD profile if they have not already been set.

v1.1:

- Retargeted for pso2.exe v3.0301.0
- Added toggle controls for first person mode as well as disabling the Y-axis camera controls.
- Added toogle controls for Hmd head tracking features.
- Updated the first person view mod to also work with aiming mode.
- Disabled camera shake effects.
- Disabled camera recoil when shooting while in aiming mode.
- Added separate FOV and Aspect Ratio parameters for stereo mode and regular mode.
- Fixed bug causing height and IPD units to appear double that of the real world units.

v1.0b:

- Removed dependency on GameGuard modules which caused the patch to fail whenever GameGuard was updated.

v1.0a:

- Fixed fatal bug that caused pso2.exe to crash when applying the mod.

v1.0:

- Initial Release
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Known Bugs
- Stereoscopic rendering will not work when the game's graphics settings are set to the lowest setting 1.
- Menu items, particle effects, and the loading screen are all rendered at an IPD of 0.
- The sun and moon will move about irregularly as you move your head about in the game.
- Character cut-ins will appear abnormal due to their inner camera also being affected by the HMD view matrix.
- Resizing the PSO2 window to anything besides its startup resolution will prevent the mouse from clicking on anything in the game.
- The player character will be positioned improperly on mounted gun turrets when in first person mode.
- Typical hardware based ambient occlusion tweaks may not work using this mod. More investigation to follow.

Notes
- PSO2 Virtual Connect must be started before launching PSO2. Otherwise, the mod will not be applied.
- Connect the HMD before launching PSO2 as the game will close if you connect it while the game is running.
- Changes made to FOV and Aspect Ratio will only take effect the next time the camera changes. This can be triggered by toggling between aiming mode and regular mode in the game.
- You can find out your character's height in cm using the character creator. Subtracting ~16.5cm from this height will get your character's eye height.
- If you need to resize the game window to fit your HMD screen, then you won't be able to click on anything. Use the keyboard or a gamepad to select menu items. Alternatively, ensure that the game resolution matches the HMD screen resolution.

Note to Moderators

I realize that modding can be a bit of a touchy subject around online gaming communities as modding typically has the potential for opening up the game to cheaters.

I do not advocate cheating in any way and have taken steps to ensure that this mod does not expose any vulnerabilities in that would open the game up to cheating. GameGuard still runs as normal and still conceals the PSO2 process from potential cheaters. While this mod uses multiple code injections, these injections are under the protection of GameGuard such that if any changes are applied to them, GameGuard will generate a np1015 error and cause the game to close.

Moreover, this mod does not allow players to do anything in the game they wouldn't be able to do normally. The changes applied to the game strictly relate to how the game is controlled and how the game is rendered.

I think Phantasy Star Online 2 is an awesome game and I would like to keep it that way - devoid of cheaters.

Disclaimer

This project is strictly the work of a fan and is not affiliated with Sega or any other game development organization. I respect the rights administered to Sega as both the developer and publisher of the game and will cease development on this project immediately if legally requested to do so.

The_Brimada
Dec 7, 2014, 05:12 PM
If I actually had one, I'd definitely try this out. Looks cool.

Zorua
Dec 7, 2014, 05:42 PM
This looks pretty neat. I wonder what playing gunner would be like.

Qualia
Dec 7, 2014, 06:41 PM
I'm honestly impressed. If I ever needed a reason to buy an Oculus Rift, this would be it.

Sacrificial
Dec 7, 2014, 07:06 PM
This looks pretty neat. I wonder what playing gunner would be like.

Ill bet you'll get dizzy once the characters are rigged. xD

landman
Dec 7, 2014, 07:20 PM
I don't have oculus.... but would a first person view mod be possible in a similar way???

Shadowth117
Dec 7, 2014, 07:28 PM
I don't have oculus.... but would a first person view mod be possible in a similar way???

Seconded. This is very cool, but it would be really nice for people who don't have the device to be able to experience a more simple first person view variant.

I hope you do end up fixing it for the new update when you can too because the new raid boss seems like it would be extremely awesome to do with this.

HardLight620
Dec 7, 2014, 07:31 PM
Ill bet you'll get dizzy once the characters are rigged. xD

I can imagine. :D

I'll probably try to go with the typical "reverse rigging" that the Oculus Rift uses where the character's head is bound to the HMD position while the rest of the animation plays around it. It's not too noticeable and it minimizes nausea for the player.

Seconded. This is very cool, but it would be really nice for people who don't have the device to be able to experience a more simple first person view variant.

I hope you do end up fixing it for the new update when you can too because the new raid boss seems like it would be extremely awesome to do with this.

Right now, the app has a toggle for stereoscopic rendering, so you can go ahead and set the FOV and Aspect Ratio to default and then toggle off the stereo rendering if you want a first person mode. Although the mod does lock the Y axis so you won't be able to look up or down... I'll see about adding more coherent support for regular first person mode in the next update.

I've found that the most impressive parts of the game so far are the giant bosses such as the Big Vardha. Especially in cases when you look up into the sky and see a hailstorm of missiles or lasers coming down on you. I can only imagine what fighting Magatsu will be like with this.

Shadowth117
Dec 7, 2014, 11:18 PM
Hmm, so I get this when I try to use it:
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:15932]
Applying patches...
VirtualProtectEx : Error 0x00000057 - The parameter is incorrect
Patches applied.

Not sure why that would happen. Happens with default launcher and Tweaker. I'm using Wtfast to connect if that matters. Nothing else should be injecting into it that I can think of (I've had Dxtory on, but got the same issue without it). I also don't have an HMD as I implied before which might make a difference.

HardLight620
Dec 8, 2014, 12:37 AM
Hmm, so I get this when I try to use it:
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:15932]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.

Not sure why that would happen. Happens with default launcher and Tweaker. I'm using Wtfast to connect if that matters. Nothing else should be injecting into it that I can think of (I've had Dxtory on, but got the same issue without it). I also don't have an HMD as I implied before which might make a difference.

I saw that bug pop up a few times when I was testing. I know what part of the patcher causes it, but I don't know exactly why yet. Overall, it's not fatal and the mod should still run just fine unless you get something else besides the "Patches Applied"/"Response Received" messages.

I'll have look and see about making a fix for it next update.

Maenara
Dec 8, 2014, 12:57 AM
This is amazing. Hats off to you.

.Jack
Dec 8, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'm wondering how this would go during an Ultimate MPA. >Requesting vid of that :D

good stuff

Shadowth117
Dec 8, 2014, 01:24 AM
I saw that bug pop up a few times when I was testing. I know what part of the patcher causes it, but I don't know exactly why yet. Overall, it's not fatal and the mod should still run just fine unless you get something else besides the "Patches Applied"/"Response Received" messages.

I'll have look and see about making a fix for it next update.

Ah :/ For me PSO2 crashes when that comes up unfortunately. Much appreciated for all this though. Really interested in trying this if possible. What you've got going looks really nice.

HardLight620
Dec 8, 2014, 02:14 AM
Ah :/ For me PSO2 crashes when that comes up unfortunately. Much appreciated for all this though. Really interested in trying this if possible. What you've got going looks really nice.

Alright then. Thanks for the bug report. Could you give me a few more details about the crash? Is it a hard "Pso2.exe has stopped working" crash, or is it a regular pso2 error message? Also, are you running on a 64-bit or 32-bit machine? Finally, does the PSO2 Virtual Connect console ever report "Response Received" or does it just get stuck waiting for the response?

I'm fairly sure I know where the bug is occurring, but it may take a bit of time before I can make a fix for it...

EDIT:

Alright, I've pushed out v1.0a as a hotfix for the bug. See if that fixes the problem you're having.

Zorua
Dec 8, 2014, 04:08 AM
Were you controlling the camera with your controller still, or were you turning your head to do it?

HardLight620
Dec 8, 2014, 04:23 AM
Were you controlling the camera with your controller still, or were you turning your head to do it?

In the video I was actually using both. For the most part, it's more natural to turn your head but when it comes to turning around completely, it's easier to turn using the gamepad. Also, as I mentioned before, turning with the gamepad will only turn you left and right, so the only way to look up and down is by using your head. I'll probably make this feature toggleable later so you have the option to go with traditional FPS controls instead.

Shear
Dec 8, 2014, 04:36 AM
daaaaang now this is nice, I would love to try it but my Rift is sadly on the Waiting list and hasn't been delivered yet.
Two Thumbs up anyway :D

Poyonche
Dec 8, 2014, 06:35 AM
Just wonder, seeing Vibrace and Vibrace Yuga spawn in TD3 :0

RIDE AN AIS :O

Shadowth117
Dec 8, 2014, 10:41 AM
Alright then. Thanks for the bug report. Could you give me a few more details about the crash? Is it a hard "Pso2.exe has stopped working" crash, or is it a regular pso2 error message? Also, are you running on a 64-bit or 32-bit machine? Finally, does the PSO2 Virtual Connect console ever report "Response Received" or does it just get stuck waiting for the response?

I'm fairly sure I know where the bug is occurring, but it may take a bit of time before I can make a fix for it...

EDIT:

Alright, I've pushed out v1.0a as a hotfix for the bug. See if that fixes the problem you're having.

Yeah that does fix my issue actually. For the record, that same error was still thrown, but it definitely runs now.

Things look a little squashed which I'm guessing can be fixed with the options in your tool, but I'm short on time to be testing that right now. And didn't want to go through my screenshots folder.

[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/dmcqj/d350814268.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Edit: note that's just a cutout so my HUD didn't get in the way. I just wanted to get a quick screen.

NoiseHERO
Dec 8, 2014, 10:55 AM
Yeah that does fix my issue actually. For the record, that same error was still thrown, but it definitely runs now.

Things look a little squashed which I'm guessing can be fixed with the options in your tool, but I'm short on time to be testing that right now. And didn't want to go through my screenshots folder.

Edit: note that's just a cutout so my HUD didn't get in the way. I just wanted to get a quick screen.

whoa that chick to the right is HUUUUUUUUGE

HardLight620
Dec 8, 2014, 01:37 PM

Awesome! It's good to hear that it's working for you. If you open the Preferences.ini file and set the following fields:

Eye Aspect Ratio : 0.5625
FOV : 54.8

It should make things look more or less normal when you play the game with regular rendering.

I'll have to look into that extra error message and see if I can get rid of it.

Macman
Dec 8, 2014, 02:37 PM
This in a UQ sounds like a motion sickness-fest.

Zettabyte
Dec 8, 2014, 02:47 PM
Words cannot express how amazingly cool this is! I hope this still works when the consumer Rift comes out...

ignika98
Dec 8, 2014, 04:08 PM
So I played around with the mod a bit and managed to get into a fight with loser with the mod on, and I noticed some things (keep in mind I don't have an Oculus Rift, so I was just playing on my monitor.):

During the loser fight, the screen shook ALOT whenever he would do an attack, rendering the game unplayable for about a second.

In losers opening cinematic, the camera wasn't zoomed in on his clock, and thus looked very weird.

Another problem that relates to the screen shaking, when loser did his time freeze move, the screen shook even more than before and I was unable to even tell what was going on.

Still it was very interesting and the fight with loser was actually pretty scary at times. I really hope this mod goes somewhere!

Qualia
Dec 8, 2014, 07:44 PM
Playing around in fist person without the OR, I've noticed a couple issues. First, you don't hear the ticks from Shifta, Anti, Resta, and Deband. Also, whenever I lock onto an enemy, moving forward shows my character. I'm not sure if messing with the rendering parameters will fix this or not though.
Edit: Oh, and jump pads also show your character.
Edit 2: Also my head is missing a shadow.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 9, 2014, 07:51 AM
While I don't have an oculus myself, I was still able to use some of the functionality in it. I had some fun with a Dragon EX as a demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWNoc4gOrG8

ignika98
Dec 9, 2014, 08:40 AM
Ok, now the game just crashes when I launch in with the mod on. Strange, as it was working just fine yesterday...

final_attack
Dec 9, 2014, 08:42 AM
I thought there's a game guard update today?

ignika98
Dec 9, 2014, 09:07 AM
I thought there's a game guard update today?

Oh, damn...

TaigaUC
Dec 9, 2014, 07:49 PM
Great stuff. Good work!

yoshiblue
Dec 9, 2014, 07:54 PM
While I don't have an oculus myself, I was still able to use some of the functionality in it. I had some fun with a Dragon EX as a demo

PSO2 FPS VS Dragon EX - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWNoc4gOrG8)

Talk about an out of body experience.

Zyrusticae
Dec 9, 2014, 09:43 PM
Hmmm.

I would actually prefer a mod that lets me control the third-person camera with the OR rather than putting my view inside the character. For a third-person action RPG it's kind of lame to miss out on all that animation work, you know? (Plus no JG or JA windows visible and stuff like that.)

I don't mind 'being' the camera. Sometimes it just works better.

Nitro Vordex
Dec 9, 2014, 09:51 PM
Hmmm.

I would actually prefer a mod that lets me control the third-person camera with the OR rather than putting my view inside the character. For a third-person action RPG it's kind of lame to miss out on all that animation work, you know? (Plus no JG or JA windows visible and stuff like that.)

I was considering the fact that you don't have visual cues for PA's now, since we don't have any real "head camera" (that is to say, we don't get to actually see what our character sees, in terms of limbs and such). Otherwise, I really like this mod and intend to try it out, even though I don't have an OR.

I feel like the mod you'd want would make you more like an operator working in tandem with your character. Which could be cool too.

I'd say that PSO2's model clipping might break the immersion for some, as well. Though as far as I know, we can't really do anything about that, yet.

Misaki Ki
Dec 10, 2014, 12:55 AM
I can't get it to run myself.

[spoiler-box]
PSO2 Virtual Connect
Version : 1.0a
Target : pso2.exe v3.0201.1
------------------------------------------
Warning: No HMD detected.
Waiting for PSO2 to launch...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:3480]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:4804]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:3124]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:9164]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:5824]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:8136]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:4808]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:3824]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:4444]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:1692]
Applying patches...
Game signature mismatch.
Please download the latest version of
PSO2 Virtual Connect when it becomes available.
Failed to apply patches.
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:3664]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:3040]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:896]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:8396]
Applying patches...
Patches applied.
Waiting for response...
[/spoiler-box]

Instant crash at the moment the patch is attempted to be applied. Tried disabling anything that would hook to PSO2, reverted Nvidia Inspector's values to default, closing programs that ran in the background, disabling SLI, and reverting PSO2 to default JPN. Both Tweaker and the normal launcher fail.

Or is this part of the Gameguard update mentioned earlier?

HardLight620
Dec 10, 2014, 03:15 AM
Hmmm.

I experimented a little bit with that. The over-the-shoulder camera mode is unchanged, so switching to that would allow you to play in 3rd person. I'll probably just make the first person mode toggleable like everything else so people can play the way that's most comfortable for them.

I can't get it to run myself.

Instant crash at the moment the patch is attempted to be applied. Tried disabling anything that would hook to PSO2, reverted Nvidia Inspector's values to default, closing programs that ran in the background, disabling SLI, and reverting PSO2 to default JPN. Both Tweaker and the normal launcher fail.

Or is this part of the Gameguard update mentioned earlier?

Yeah, this is due to the GameGuard update. I was silly enough to make the mod dependent on one of the GameGuard dlls that run inside pso2.exe. I should have an update to fix it shortly

NoiseHERO
Dec 10, 2014, 03:31 AM
someone should make movie camera mod.

Ayanamirenko
Dec 10, 2014, 08:24 PM
I looked for something like this when I first got my Dk2 and couldn't find anything of the sort. I'm dying to try this~

HardLight620
Dec 11, 2014, 12:34 AM
Alrighty, I've updated the patcher to v1.0b to fix the GameGuard dependency. So now the patch should work even after GameGuard has been updated.

Misaki Ki
Dec 11, 2014, 05:20 AM
It's working beautifully. Thank you!

The camera controls still work, which is rather nice. Can adjust to sitting in a chair, which felt pretty cool. Being unable to look up and down is a bit weird, but you said you were going to work on that for gamepad and mouse earlier. Even still, it's not too limiting at the moment since you have other options like TPS and lock on.

Curious, are you able to move elements of the HUD in anyway? And lastly, you listed characters vanishing as a bug, were you intending to do something with that?

Forgive all of those questions, it's just me being extremely interested in this.

ignika98
Dec 11, 2014, 08:44 AM
Strange... now the program just crashes outright...

HardLight620
Dec 11, 2014, 01:14 PM
It's working beautifully. Thank you!

Curious, are you able to move elements of the HUD in anyway? And lastly, you listed characters vanishing as a bug, were you intending to do something with that?

Forgive all of those questions, it's just me being extremely interested in this.

I haven't looked into the HUD too much, but from what I've seen, HUD items are only capable of being drawn onto a 2D plane on the screen. It'll require a bit of work to get them drawn in 3D space, but I've started to develop a plan on how that'll be accomplished. Ideally, I'd like to make the menu items contextual to the space around the player.

As for the whole vanishing bug, that's mainly due to the fact that I need to hide the player character so that they don't get in the way of the camera. Right now I'm just using near-culling as I don't have a way to distinguish the player character from other characters. As some people have pointed out, this will sometimes cause the player to reappear or other characters to disappear. I'll be tackling this bug when I get to properly rigging the player character to the player.

Strange... now the program just crashes outright...

Okay. I'll see about looking into it. Could you send me a message with the details about the crash? Does it crash at startup when PSO2 isn't running, or only after it tries to patch game? Does it give any error messages when it does crash?

NegaTsukasa
Dec 11, 2014, 01:24 PM
Awesome! As a .Hack// fan this just makes my day. The oculus is looking more and more like the future of gaming as I see these experiments being done. Well done OP.

ignika98
Dec 11, 2014, 01:30 PM
Okay. I'll see about looking into it. Could you send me a message with the details about the crash? Does it crash at startup when PSO2 isn't running, or only after it tries to patch game? Does it give any error messages when it does crash?

Alright, I sent you a message.

Misaki Ki
Dec 11, 2014, 06:50 PM
I haven't looked into the HUD too much, but from what I've seen, HUD items are only capable of being drawn onto a 2D plane on the screen. It'll require a bit of work to get them drawn in 3D space, but I've started to develop a plan on how that'll be accomplished. Ideally, I'd like to make the menu items contextual to the space around the player.

As for the whole vanishing bug, that's mainly due to the fact that I need to hide the player character so that they don't get in the way of the camera. Right now I'm just using near-culling as I don't have a way to distinguish the player character from other characters. As some people have pointed out, this will sometimes cause the player to reappear or other characters to disappear. I'll be tackling this bug when I get to properly rigging the player character to the player.

Ah, I was curious because some of what you were doing has applications outside of the Rift. The characters vanishing is something that has annoyed people forever, and the HUD is an issue for some of the multi-monitor resolutions. For now though, focus on what you want, then worry about other stuffs if you ever want to.

Still, I'm still absolutely amazed at what you've accomplished.

HardLight620
Dec 11, 2014, 08:40 PM
Awesome! As a .Hack// fan this just makes my day. The oculus is looking more and more like the future of gaming as I see these experiments being done. Well done OP.

Thanks for the support.

.Hack// FTW!

Ah, I was curious because some of what you were doing has applications outside of the Rift. The characters vanishing is something that has annoyed people forever, and the HUD is an issue for some of the multi-monitor resolutions. For now though, focus on what you want, then worry about other stuffs if you ever want to.

Still, I'm still absolutely amazed at what you've accomplished.

The near culling is easy enough to disable. The only reason it's needed is because otherwise the player character gets in the way of the camera. I'll get rid of it once I've found a way to consistently control the visibility of the player character.

The distance culling is separated into two stages. One of the stages will cause characters to fadeout at a certain distance. The second stage will remove the actual model from the scene and stop updating it. Currently, the mod disables the first stage but not the second stage as forcing the characters to remain visible in the second stage looks kind of weird as they stop animating and moving. There's probably a way to get them to keep updating after they exceed the second distance, but I just haven't found it yet.

MDashK
Dec 16, 2014, 06:44 AM
I must say... I was planing on buying oculus when it came out... But this... This just makes my day... Can't wait for the consumer version to come out so that I can play this out! =D
The level of your work exceeds beyond Excelent... Really have no word for it.
Thanks! Hope you keep up and keep the project updated due to the constant updates of PSO2.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 16, 2014, 08:19 PM
In addition to the video above I also did an episode of my Let's Play of Phantasy Star Online 2 using the mod. Thanks again for the comment on the video HardLight620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWCJgW1tZA

Stealthcmc1974
Dec 16, 2014, 08:26 PM
In addition to the video above I also did an episode of my Let's Play of Phantasy Star Online 2 using the mod. Thanks again for the comment on the video HardLight620.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Let's Play - Episode 045 - Oculus Rift - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWCJgW1tZA)

Holy shit! There's someone doing a PSO2 LP besides me!? Why have we not met before!?

EDIT: Damn, 900 posts. Where does the time go?

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 16, 2014, 08:37 PM
Why have we not met before!?

I think it's because I don't post the series very often here. Let's just say previous endeavors with trying to post shows here didn't go over very well when I used to handle the news around here... *shifts eyes left and right*

Granted that sensibility may have changed since then (Circa 2005ish). Maybe I should try again more often.

Stealthcmc1974
Dec 16, 2014, 08:40 PM
I think it's because I don't post the series very often here. Let's just say previous endeavors with trying to post shows here didn't go over very well when I used to handle the news around here... *shifts eyes left and right*

Granted that sensibility may have changed since then (Circa 2005ish). Maybe I should try again more often.

I've posted every single one of the my PSO2 LP videos in the screenshots and movies threads on here, and people generally seem to like it. Even get some nice compliments from people on YouTube and even in game. You'd probably be okay now.

HardLight620
Dec 17, 2014, 03:27 PM
I've updated the mod for the new PSO2 update. I also went and added a few new features to make it easier to use the mod without the Oculus Rift. The full list of changes can be found in the version history.

PrinceBrightstar
Dec 17, 2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks again for the hard work you've put into this. Because of this I was able to combine it with the option in the tweaker that hides the HUD and use both of them as a camera. Add some elements through editing and this is the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8q94tfE4Y

We essentially have everything we need now to produce machinima.

landman
Dec 17, 2014, 06:20 PM
So any ranger gameplay? does it work in TPS mode? (but in FPS of course lol) so far I've only seen you guys slashing in first person :wacko: gotta try this tomorrow and see how is force.

HardLight620
Dec 20, 2014, 02:41 PM
So any ranger gameplay? does it work in TPS mode? (but in FPS of course lol) so far I've only seen you guys slashing in first person :wacko: gotta try this tomorrow and see how is force.

The last update added support for TPS mode, but your eye height is a little inconsistent between the two modes, so you'll need to adjust for either one or the other depending on your choice.

Just remember that TPS mode will disable auto aiming and it's a lot harder to aim at things using your head. Regular mode has been modified to act as a hybrid between the two. So you'll shoot the direction you're looking when there's no enemies around, but auto aim onto enemies as they appear in your field of view. Switching to TPS mode will also give you Oculus style tank controls. So your body and head can have separate orientations with your forward direction being decided by your body rotation.

I'll probably fix the eye height bug with the next update, but for now, here's a teaser for the feature I've been working on:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i61.tinypic.com/2vtt6o5.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

landman
Dec 21, 2014, 06:34 PM
Well TPS mode looses the auto aim in the game, I wasn't expecting it to maintain it in the mod, there are attacks that benefit from free aim, way faster than switching targets on lock-on (and lock-on has a range limit, some attacks don't). I noticed how the normal aim actually works "tank like" too, and in some cases it seems like an advantage, you can move backwards and shoot were you are watching, in the original camera you have to make a quick turn so the character faces the enemy to throw the tech that way... you can also do this in TPS but... with this mod you can do this with auto aim.

My character is pretty tall, the lower TPS camera is not annoying for me, but I tried to lower the normal camera, I wanted the lobby characters to actually watch at the camera instead of be "watching my neck", also, when I lowered the camera, cut ins camera also lowered, with the default height those show like they normally do.

Not sure if it is a bug, but my shadow has no head :wacko:

And from my experience, I'd say it's great to play this way, but some things are harder to detect if you don't see "your body", like SE, or even if you are actually flying around because an ogre kicked you. Also ground attacks, like in TPS when you are aiming hight, are almost impossible to detect unless you are looking at the ground. Some sounds from your body also mute in some occasions, so no visual indications for JA and some times no sound either.

Some cuts from different places (fanservice included):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7DyFu4jgY&feature=youtu.be

ignika98
Dec 22, 2014, 08:55 AM
Why aren't the SharpDX and Sharp OVR dlls in the 64 bit zip?

HardLight620
Dec 22, 2014, 02:28 PM
Well TPS mode looses the auto aim in the game, I wasn't expecting it to maintain it in the mod, there are attacks that benefit from free aim, way faster than switching targets on lock-on (and lock-on has a range limit, some attacks don't). I noticed how the normal aim actually works "tank like" too, and in some cases it seems like an advantage, you can move backwards and shoot were you are watching, in the original camera you have to make a quick turn so the character faces the enemy to throw the tech that way... you can also do this in TPS but... with this mod you can do this with auto aim.

My character is pretty tall, the lower TPS camera is not annoying for me, but I tried to lower the normal camera, I wanted the lobby characters to actually watch at the camera instead of be "watching my neck", also, when I lowered the camera, cut ins camera also lowered, with the default height those show like they normally do.

Not sure if it is a bug, but my shadow has no head :wacko:

And from my experience, I'd say it's great to play this way, but some things are harder to detect if you don't see "your body", like SE, or even if you are actually flying around because an ogre kicked you. Also ground attacks, like in TPS when you are aiming hight, are almost impossible to detect unless you are looking at the ground. Some sounds from your body also mute in some occasions, so no visual indications for JA and some times no sound either.

Some cuts from different places (fanservice included):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7DyFu4jgY&feature=youtu.be

I wanted to make your character's body match up as best as possible with your view, so I specifically made it that your character will face the direction you are looking - even in regular mode. Technically this does give you the edge of being able to both strafe and auto aim simultaneously, but I'm alright with this as it's not that different from being able to strafe and lock-on simultaneously. There are a few small differences between the two modes though. For example, if you are standing still in regular mode, turning with the gamepad or mouse will only turn the camera instead of turning your character.

Anyways, I've gone and made the height a bit more consistent with the next version. Now your eye height is measured from the ground for both modes. So if you know your character's height (it can be found in Este), you can get a pretty good approximation of where your character's head will be. This should also fix the bug with your height affecting the cut-in cameras.

The thing with your shadow having no head is also sort of a bug. I had to adjust the near culling method a little bit because it was originally culling way too much (most sound effects, graphic effects, and voice of your character). However, a side effect of the new method is that certain parts of your character don't show up as a shadow. I'll probably fix this when I begin working on proper character rigging.

Why aren't the SharpDX and Sharp OVR dlls in the 64 bit zip?

'cause it looks like I messed up when zipping the 64-bit version of the program. Thanks for pointing this out. I've updated the download link, so it should be good to go now.

HardLight620
Dec 24, 2014, 03:37 AM
Version 1.2 is up now. I've gone and added distortion mesh support as well as a few quality of life improvements for playing the game in first person. There's a couple of screenshots with the new distortion rendering in the main post.

Eye height has also been changed to measure from the ground instead of the middle of your character. You can get your character's height by going to the Character Creator in Este. To get the proper eye height, you'll need to subtract ~16.5cm from the measurement shown in the Character Creator.

I'm not sure which feature I'm going to work on from here. On the one hand, first person character rigging would be pretty awesome, but fixing the menus is also pretty important for the playability of the game. I'm leaning towards first person rigging as right now I know more about characters than I do about the menus.

This may sound silly, but is there any way to "move" the camera backwards so we can see the Character's weapon/arms during attacks? Is that even possible?

The camera is actually exactly where it should be - in the character's head. However, this means that the head will often get in the way camera making the game unplayable. For a short-term fix, I simply made it that the player - weapons and all - isn't shown when you're in first person mode (more specifically, it isn't shown when it gets really close to the camera).

For when you do show the character, it works just about as you'd envision it. That is to say, it looks pretty awesome when it's working right:

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i61.tinypic.com/zy96qu.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

But most of the time, what you actually get is this:

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i58.tinypic.com/25aojrt.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

I'll probably work on this more when I get to character rigging as one is necessary for the other. I haven't really decided which I'll do next as having proper menus is also pretty important.

It's interesting that you brought up camera positioning though, as a lot of things like camera placement, fov, and effect parameters seem to be controlled by the game's LUA engine. From an assembly standpoint, understanding the LUA interpreter has been pretty tough, so I've only been able to manage some basic overrides, but I've been toying with the idea of hacking together a LUA command line that can be run from game's chat box and seeing just what the engine's capable of. Just a thought anyways.

Nitro Vordex
Dec 24, 2014, 01:23 PM
Would there be a way to lock the camera and have it spin with the character's head? I know that would be vomitpalooza, but it still sounds awesome.

landman
Dec 24, 2014, 07:47 PM
So, the new option to hide the weapon and sub palette... is it possible to hide the 100% of the hud, on the fly? that would be great for recording videos instead of restarting to use the tweaker option and restart again to deactivate it. And in case you have control to other parts of the hud... could the radar be increased in size? or even move the map? (N key). Playing in first person checking the radar sometimes feels necessary, but it felt kinda small

HardLight620
Dec 26, 2014, 07:39 PM
Would there be a way to lock the camera and have it spin with the character's head? I know that would be vomitpalooza, but it still sounds awesome.

As an option for players just playing in first person without an HMD, I'll consider it. But right now, I probably won't make it a priority

So, the new option to hide the weapon and sub palette... is it possible to hide the 100% of the hud, on the fly? that would be great for recording videos instead of restarting to use the tweaker option and restart again to deactivate it. And in case you have control to other parts of the hud... could the radar be increased in size? or even move the map? (N key). Playing in first person checking the radar sometimes feels necessary, but it felt kinda small

Removing the action palette for normal gameplay was an easy bonus feature as that's something that is already possible to do in the game by pressing T (The mod actually reverses the visibility states, so hitting T will now show the palette for when you need to see it). Removing the rest of the HUD is a bit tougher as certain parts like the player HP bar were never meant to be hidden.

Of course, it wouldn't be hard to just nuke the whole UI similar to how the Tweaker does it, but that also removes the menus, damage indicators and the loading screen (Although removing the loading screen does seem to improve the game's loading time a little...). I'd prefer a solution that was a little more elegant, but I may add a toggle for the UI in the next update if there's enough need for it.

There are certain ways to scale UI elements, but it's not very consistent. Sometimes the text will scale without the graphical portion, or sometimes only the icons will be scaled. For the most part, I've found that hitting N is sufficient for seeing the map whenever you're playing with an HMD, so I'm not going to focus on this too much.

AlphaBlob
Jan 4, 2015, 04:45 PM
This is pretty amazing, I love how you can play PSO2 in 3D with this. Here's a few suggestions btw.

The problem with seeing your weapon/body is the face getting in the way? I've noticed that the shadow don't have a head so if you could remove the character's head, wouldn't that fix the face getting in the way problem? I have no idea if this is possible or not but if that fix it, it would be cool.

And it would be cool if the mirror screen could show your character in 3rd person, I understand this feature wouldn't be useful to a lot of people, but for people doing livestream it would be cool to show the 3rd person perspective as well in a corner or something.

HardLight620
Jan 16, 2015, 10:09 PM
Hey all, I'm a few days late, but I've updated PSO2VC to v1.3 for the latest update. I've also added the ability to toggle the UI on/off from in the game as well as another toggle for changing between walking and running when you're playing with keyboard only.

These are probably going to be the last updates from now on besides updates for any new PSO2 versions. I'm going to be mainly focusing on getting character rigging up and running, but it's going to be a while until I have something to show for it.

This is pretty amazing, I love how you can play PSO2 in 3D with this. Here's a few suggestions btw.

The problem with seeing your weapon/body is the face getting in the way? I've noticed that the shadow don't have a head so if you could remove the character's head, wouldn't that fix the face getting in the way problem? I have no idea if this is possible or not but if that fix it, it would be cool.

And it would be cool if the mirror screen could show your character in 3rd person, I understand this feature wouldn't be useful to a lot of people, but for people doing livestream it would be cool to show the 3rd person perspective as well in a corner or something.

Thanks for the feedback. While it would be nice if things were that simple, I still don't have a whole lot of control over what gets shown/hidden. The main problem is that PSO2 characters are a composite of parts that may or may not be systematically organized in memory. There's no guarantee that memory addresses pointing to my character's head won't be pointing to your character's arms. In due time, I'll eventually get things figured out, but until then, I'd prefer to keep the game playable by just hiding the whole character.

The game mirror is just a Windows DWM rerender of the pso2.exe window. Windows DWM thumbnails are super light-weight so they don't incur a whole lot of overhead running them. Stereoscopic rendering is already pretty GPU intensive as you're drawing 2x the game resolution per frame. Adding a third render cycle ontop of that would be difficult and fairly inefficient.

Chiyuriyami
Jan 17, 2015, 07:13 PM
Been trying to play this but it`s not going so well. The focus of both eyes are off so everything is being seen in double making it impossible to actually.
In case my explanation isnt good enough to explain the problem, here is a more details explanation.

Normally both eyes should be able to focus on a single point so for example if you look at your mouse cursor, you only see one in the middle of the screen.
In my case, I see two mouse cursor, one more to the left for the left eye and one more to the right in the right eye.

Followed the instruction on the readme and even tried all sort of other things but I can`t get the focus to be right.

Anyone had that problem and found how to fix that?

HardLight620
Jan 18, 2015, 03:12 PM
Been trying to play this but it`s not going so well. The focus of both eyes are off so everything is being seen in double making it impossible to actually.
In case my explanation isnt good enough to explain the problem, here is a more details explanation.

Normally both eyes should be able to focus on a single point so for example if you look at your mouse cursor, you only see one in the middle of the screen.
In my case, I see two mouse cursor, one more to the left for the left eye and one more to the right in the right eye.

Followed the instruction on the readme and even tried all sort of other things but I can`t get the focus to be right.

Anyone had that problem and found how to fix that?

Menus and UI still aren't quite right yet as they're rendered at an IPD of 0, so that probably explains the issue you're seeing with the mouse cursor. You can toggle off the UI by pressing Ctrl + [~].

If you're still experiencing problems, it probably has to do with your IPD settings. Go into preferences and adjust the IPD slider. It should usually be somewhere around 50 or 60mm, but set it to whatever feels most comfortable. Finally, this mod was developed for the Oculus Rift DK2. I believe the DK1 and DK2 distortion algorithms are a bit different, so you may wish to try disabling distortion rendering and seeing if that helps.

MiLLi0N
Feb 1, 2015, 06:43 PM
i really want to try this but file has been removed already. If anyone has downloaded zip file please upload it :|

HardLight620
Feb 2, 2015, 10:43 PM
i really want to try this but file has been removed already. If anyone has downloaded zip file please upload it :|

Sorry about that. It's been pretty tough for me to keep up with the updates lately. I'm looking into automating the patching process on my end, so things should be a little bit more consistent once that's done.

In the meantime, I've updated the link in the opening post. It should be ready for you to use until the next update.

usagi2607
Feb 4, 2015, 07:47 AM
This is a really nice project. Even though I don't have a HMD, I have tried this app and I love the ability to change the camera FOV (this is what I've dreamed of long ago).
I know it's kind of unrelated to the project but do you consider to add an option which we can adjust the camera distance to the character in 3rd person mode (I meant the regular camera mode)?
Don't know if that's possible but I really hope to see that happens :)

AlphaBlob
Feb 17, 2015, 04:07 PM
It hasn't been working ever since the last patch :(. Though updating it now would be useless since there's a new patch tomorrow. After the new patch can you please release an update?

HardLight620
Feb 17, 2015, 11:34 PM
It hasn't been working ever since the last patch :(. Though updating it now would be useless since there's a new patch tomorrow. After the new patch can you please release an update?

Well, you're in luck. I just finished up automating the patching process the other day. Tonight will be the first time trying it out live. I still need to wait for the servers to come back up online so I can test everything, but hopefully this will lead to much more consistent updates.

This also means I'll be able to focus more on adding new features and researching the possibilities that can be modded into the game. I've got a couple of things in mind that I've been wanting to try out.

Stay tuned for updates.

AlphaBlob
Feb 18, 2015, 12:21 AM
Well, you're in luck. I just finished up automating the patching process the other day. Tonight will be the first time trying it out live. I still need to wait for the servers to come back up online so I can test everything, but hopefully this will lead to much more consistent updates.

This also means I'll be able to focus more on adding new features and researching the possibilities that can be modded into the game. I've got a couple of things in mind that I've been wanting to try out.

Stay tuned for updates.
Oh nice, keep up the good work.

HardLight620
Feb 18, 2015, 03:11 AM
New version's up. It took a bit longer than I expected, but things should go smoother next time.

On a related topic. I'm planning on doing a bit of investigating in the upcoming days to see what exactly I can pull off in the game. As there seems to have been a bit of an interest in modding certain aspects of the game outside of VR, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on general features they would like to see added to the app.

I can't make any guarantees, but I'd like to hear from you guys if anything comes to mind.

Misaki Ki
Feb 18, 2015, 04:22 AM
I'd still like movable HUD on the 2D Cartesian side of things (for triple monitor, and other wide screen setups) and something to stop the characters from being pushed around.

VR wise, I'm only really starting to play with it. I don't have a Rift, but Trinus Gyre on my cell phone works with mouse tracking if you disable the lock on the Y-axis. All I need is for a shipment to come in, so I can actually see without it being a blurry mess.

Many thanks for your hard work on this; I appreciate it.

AlphaBlob
Feb 18, 2015, 06:28 AM
I'm not sure if this is possible, but a rumble feature for controllers would be a cool add-on.

imarm007
Feb 22, 2015, 04:22 AM
*grab toilet paper*

HardLight620
Feb 25, 2015, 12:08 AM
I'd still like movable HUD on the 2D Cartesian side of things (for triple monitor, and other wide screen setups) and something to stop the characters from being pushed around.

VR wise, I'm only really starting to play with it. I don't have a Rift, but Trinus Gyre on my cell phone works with mouse tracking if you disable the lock on the Y-axis. All I need is for a shipment to come in, so I can actually see without it being a blurry mess.

Many thanks for your hard work on this; I appreciate it.

Movable HUD is something I've been meaning to investigate for a little while now. This will probably crop up in the future when I start building out a VR compatible HUD. I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say characters are being pushed around, but I'd like to avoid anything that might mess with how the game actually runs on the server. Otherwise, we might end up with all the game's npcs stuck outside the lobby again...

I'm not sure if this is possible, but a rumble feature for controllers would be a cool add-on.

That would mainly depend on what kind of input API they're using in the game. If its something like XInput that already supports rumble, then it'd mainly be a matter of syncing up the in-game screenshake with the controller's rumble. This wouldn't really be true rumble support as that would require adding content into the game, but it would be a fair approximation I think.

*grab toilet paper*

Uh... Yeah. Sure. I guess I could see about investigating into adding a *grab toilet paper* lobby action into the game. ;-)

Please don't let the dream die ;w;

Don't worry AIDA. I don't plan on dismissing the VR side of things so easily. It's just that if you focus on one thing for too long, you often end up missing other possibilities. For example, lately I've been investigating into the game's lua.

http://pastebin.com/dmxkTct5

A surface level examination of some of the entries here seems to indicate that there's a lot that can be customized through the game's lua including key bindings, camera settings, and lobby action configurations. Ideally, I'd like to build an interactive lua console that can be run in or out of the game. Right now I can run custom lua scripts on the game's lua state, but it still needs a bit of work before it's anything near userfriendly. With a little luck, it should be able to make it into the next update though.

EDIT:

New version's up.

Misaki Ki
Mar 15, 2015, 07:52 PM
Ah, didn't see your last post - and thanks for the recent (stealthy) update. The lobby and rooms really feel different with depth added.

As for the pushing around, I meant when you get too close to characters they start to get pushed around. It's real common in Japanese games. The Vita version doesn't have that, which was partly why I brought it up.

After giving it some thought, it is HUD related, but I think the single most useful thing would be being able to set where the big map (default: N) opens up to. It being dead center is horrible!

AlphaBlob
Mar 25, 2015, 07:35 PM
Will there be a new update for this soon? I really want to try out Quna concert in first person. ._.

HardLight620
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 AM
Will there be a new update for this soon? I really want to try out Quna concert in first person. ._.

Sure thing. The new version's up now.

I guess it's been a little while since I've given you guys an update. Lately I've been furiously working on getting inverse rigging done. Things are starting to get awesome!

[SPOILER-BOX]

http://i62.tinypic.com/2aeugcl.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/11hdlio.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/8zhd9k.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/15mibd0.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

It's still not quite done yet. I'm aiming to have things like glasses, headgear, and long hair properly rigged to the player's head. There's also a number of stability issues right now. You can't even change areas without the game crashing - most of that's just adding proper null checks though. I may be too busy this coming weekend to get it done for next update, but I'm hoping for it to be done soon.

I've been meaning to check out a Stage Live myself, but I haven't been on often enough to have the time to catch one. Does anyone know when they're usually on?
EDIT: Aw, it looks like I just missed the opening event...

Ah, didn't see your last post - and thanks for the recent (stealthy) update. The lobby and rooms really feel different with depth added.

As for the pushing around, I meant when you get too close to characters they start to get pushed around. It's real common in Japanese games. The Vita version doesn't have that, which was partly why I brought it up.

After giving it some thought, it is HUD related, but I think the single most useful thing would be being able to set where the big map (default: N) opens up to. It being dead center is horrible!

Interesting that the Vita version doesn't have pushing. It sounds to me like it's something that should be already supported in the game, so I have no problems with trying to re-enable it for you. I don't think repositioning the N-map should be too hard to do either. I'll see about taking some time to look into these two after I'm done the inverse rigging.

Maenara
Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 AM
This makes me want a rift so bad. ;_;

AlphaBlob
Mar 26, 2015, 01:56 AM
Sure thing. The new version's up now.

I guess it's been a little while since I've given you guys an update. Lately I've been furiously working on getting inverse rigging done. Things are starting to get awesome!

[SPOILER-BOX]

http://i62.tinypic.com/2aeugcl.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/11hdlio.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/8zhd9k.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/15mibd0.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

It's still not quite done yet. I'm aiming to have things like glasses, headgear, and long hair properly rigged to the player's head. There's also a number of stability issues right now. You can't even change areas without the game crashing - most of that's just adding proper null checks though. I may be too busy this coming weekend to get it done for next update, but I'm hoping for it to be done soon.

I've been meaning to check out a Stage Live myself, but I haven't been on often enough to have the time to catch one. Does anyone know when they're usually on?
EDIT: Aw, it looks like I just missed the opening event...

Interesting that the Vita version doesn't have pushing. It sounds to me like it's something that should be already supported in the game, so I have no problems with trying to re-enable it for you. I don't think repositioning the N-map should be too hard to do either. I'll see about taking some time to look into these two after I'm done the inverse rigging.
Wow that's pretty amazing, keep up the good work!

AlphaBlob
Mar 30, 2015, 01:53 PM
This is how the concert look like in stereoscopic 3D when you use Virtual Connect, the lights are a bit glitchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfqwghq7_4I

HardLight620
Apr 23, 2015, 02:24 AM
GET! HYPED!

Player character rigging is here! And it is awesome! Seriously, words do not do it justice. You have to try it for yourself. Be sure to read the changelist in the OP as there's a lot of new features as well as a bit of setup required.

The default eye-neck and neck-torso offsets have been tuned for my character's physique, but he's fairly large compared to most characters. The main pivot point is at the base of the neck, so you'll need to find the distance from the neck to the eyes for things to work properly. I recommend using the cross-legged sit emote to square your character's shoulders. From there, try to line up the character's shoulders with your own shoulders. You can also use the salute emote to have your character's hand touch their forehead if you're having troubles getting the right eye height.

There's a tunable for character transparency as some actions such as blocking may obscure your vision. Having your character at around 85% opacity allows you to see through your character when you need to, but isn't all that noticeable otherwise.

I recommend playing with rotation tracking on and head tracking off to keep your body properly lined up with your head. I haven't tested the behavior too much with position tracking on, so it may not work as expected.

I'll be uploading a gameplay video tomorrow, but for now here's some screenshots so you can get the idea of what it looks like.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i58.tinypic.com/333zqtt.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2801swl.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/aokf20.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qmkzr6.png

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zohpwh.png
[/SPOILER-BOX]

There's still a bit of work to be done. I wasn't able to get the character's head to properly animate around the player's head, so I had to settle for removing it entirely. Also, given the nature of the inverse rigging, sitting down looks like you are floating in the air. There's also a visual bug with your character's position when you are using a mounted turret. Finally, a graphical error may crop up if you log in with FPS mode enabled and switch it off ingame. Regardless, I am happy with the way things have turned out so far. As far as I have tested, the game is very stable and fun to play.

qoxolg
Apr 23, 2015, 03:49 AM
Really awesome work man! I am still waiting for the commercial Oculus to arrive, but I sure am looking forward to using this.

landman
Apr 23, 2015, 04:49 AM
Wow congratulations! this is really awesome, I am waiting too for the final Oculus or SteamVR but still I'm going to try this.

in4 people get killed because they got distracted by "their own chest" :wacko:

HardLight620
Apr 23, 2015, 05:14 PM
Video's up. Enjoy!

NoiseHERO
Apr 23, 2015, 05:31 PM
bruh this is extremely amazing.

AlphaBlob
Apr 23, 2015, 06:35 PM
[spoiler-box]Call of PSO2

http://puu.sh/hoyM2/6e3c914141.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Triple_S
Apr 23, 2015, 07:05 PM
This is why I need money. Great work.

Sinon
Apr 23, 2015, 08:15 PM
Can I put my character in first person with this without using oculus rift?

Misaki Ki
Apr 24, 2015, 03:01 AM
This is pretty amazing, it's really quite different when you try it yourself. Amazing work!

--

Can I put my character in first person with this without using oculus rift?

You can, there's an option to disable the stereo rendering. You'll also need to uncheck 'lock y-axis' as well most likely.

Sinon
Apr 24, 2015, 07:36 AM
This is pretty amazing, it's really quite different when you try it yourself. Amazing work!

--

You can, there's an option to disable the stereo rendering. You'll also need to uncheck 'lock y-axis' as well most likely.

Thank you! Now I can look at my waifu in glorious first person ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Searaphim
Apr 24, 2015, 08:15 AM
This is seriously too darn awesome to be real! Can't wait for the commercial release of a VR set now D:

TheFr0stByte
May 11, 2015, 11:07 AM
No HMD here but I played it and this is a truly amazing mod. I was up til 4 in the morning playing. I'm not super high level or anything. So I fought my first Naberius Fang Banshee last night, IN FIRST PERSON! AHHHH! That thing was scary. I would have loved to take a screenshot for ya'll but I was too busy getting wrecked. Killed two of 'em but not before dying like 4 times myself.

One complaint I have is that this mod doesn't work super well with the Jet Boots. I'd like to see my body, but it keeps blocking my vision. Now I don't mind that. I actually think the idea of vision being blocked while guarding is kinda neat, but I'm seeing my legs and my shoulders consistently spinning around my view. Combine that with tornado dance and it's starting to look like that banned Porygon Pokemon episode. I am curious to see what it would look like with the camera linked to the characters eyes. I know it would be dizzying but I would still like to try it as I think Bouncer might actually be better in this case.

HardLight620
May 14, 2015, 07:23 PM
No HMD here but I played it and this is a truly amazing mod. I was up til 4 in the morning playing. I'm not super high level or anything. So I fought my first Naberius Fang Banshee last night, IN FIRST PERSON! AHHHH! That thing was scary. I would have loved to take a screenshot for ya'll but I was too busy getting wrecked. Killed two of 'em but not before dying like 4 times myself.

One complaint I have is that this mod doesn't work super well with the Jet Boots. I'd like to see my body, but it keeps blocking my vision. Now I don't mind that. I actually think the idea of vision being blocked while guarding is kinda neat, but I'm seeing my legs and my shoulders consistently spinning around my view. Combine that with tornado dance and it's starting to look like that banned Porygon Pokemon episode. I am curious to see what it would look like with the camera linked to the characters eyes. I know it would be dizzying but I would still like to try it as I think Bouncer might actually be better in this case.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I haven't personally used the bouncer class yet, but I guess that's the one that would get hit the worst by the current rigging setup. I'm aware of the guarding issue which is why I recommend setting your character to roughly 85% opacity, but if it's really bad with the bouncer, then you may want to hide your character body altogether.

Rigging the camera to your character is tough as doing so creates sort of a feedback loop. The camera direction dictates your input direction, your input direction dictates your character direction, and your character direction dictates the camera direction. This would make the game really hard to control properly if not done right, but it should be possible with some time and careful planning.

Also, as a general warning to all PSO2VC users, there's a few new bugs that have been reported so far:

1. Driver based Ambient Occlusion mods do not seem to work due to the changed near field.
2. Boarding an AIS in first person mode will cause the game to crash.

I will be looking to fix these this weekend, but until then, try not to use first person mode if you are planning on doing a mining base mission.

Shadowth117
May 15, 2015, 12:39 AM
This honestly is really cool to play with. It definitely gives a different sort of feel to the game as a whole even without an occulus. Your work with this is amazing.

Minty Kitty
May 15, 2015, 09:50 PM
I tried this out without the Oculus Rift cus i dont have one. And i just tweaked the settings so i could play in First Person and MAN is it AWESOME!

Only thing is that it doesnt work when using the A.I.S. U just wind up staring at its Butt the whole time.

landman
May 16, 2015, 03:22 AM
Haven't tried, but maybe if you change the eye heigh to.... never mind, max is 250 lol

chaoko99
May 25, 2015, 03:57 PM
Is it possible to do the dead reverse of what this program does, and pull the camera back a bit? it's just too close at maxdistance for me..

DrewM_Hax0r
May 25, 2015, 06:38 PM
I can't for the life of me get this working with my HMD. For some reason the game crashes right after launching and virtual connect gives me an access denied error:

PSO2 Virtual Connect
Version : 2.0b
Target : pso2.exe v3.0501.2
------------------------------------------
Connected to HMD: Oculus Rift DK2
Waiting for PSO2 to launch...
Disconnected from HMD.
Connected to HMD: Oculus Rift DK2
Detected PSO2 Window [PID:5808]
Applying patches...
WriteProcessMemory : Error 0x00000005 - Access is denied
VirtualAllocEx : Error 0x00000005 - Access is denied
WriteProcessMemory : Error 0x00000005 - Access is denied
Failed to apply patches.

I don't really understand why, I do run virtual connect as an administrator...
Oh and it works just fine when I don't have my Oculus HMD plugged in btw.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

HardLight620
May 26, 2015, 01:12 PM
I tried this out without the Oculus Rift cus i dont have one. And i just tweaked the settings so i could play in First Person and MAN is it AWESOME!

Only thing is that it doesnt work when using the A.I.S. U just wind up staring at its Butt the whole time.

Well, at the very least it's good to hear that the A.I.S. doesn't crash. I've been looking to get them rigged up properly, but since they don't use the regular player character customizer system, they need a completely new system to handle them.

Is it possible to do the dead reverse of what this program does, and pull the camera back a bit? it's just too close at maxdistance for me..

It's not really a priority at the moment, but I'll see about adding a camera distance slider if I have time.

I can't for the life of me get this working with my HMD. For some reason the game crashes right after launching and virtual connect gives me an access denied error:

I don't really understand why, I do run virtual connect as an administrator...
Oh and it works just fine when I don't have my Oculus HMD plugged in btw.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks for the bug report. This is an issue with the latest Oculus runtime. PSO2 will crash if you have the Oculus Rift plugged in regardless of whether the mod is running. I'll be looking into finding a workaround for this, but for now, you can downgrade to runtime 0.4.4.b here:

EDIT:
It seems you can use version 0.5.0.1 as well:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/#version=pc-0.5.0.1-beta

DrewM_Hax0r
May 28, 2015, 11:32 PM
Awesome. Downgrading to Oculus runtime 0.5.0.1 fixed my problem.

This is truly an amazing piece of work. The experience just left me speechless. I felt like I was playing PSO2 for the first time! Thank you for spending the time to make this, myself and many others really appreciate it.

Punisher106
May 29, 2015, 02:04 AM
Man, I know it's been requested time and time again, but can you make it fully support First Person Mode, for those that don't have the money for an Oculus Rift? Last I saw, moving the Y-axis doesn't work, but I'm sure that's an easy fix, as an option.

Sizustar
May 29, 2015, 02:13 AM
Man, I know it's been requested time and time again, but can you make it fully support First Person Mode, for those that don't have the money for an Oculus Rift? Last I saw, moving the Y-axis doesn't work, but I'm sure that's an easy fix, as an option.

But it already work for first person mode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2S4S2J74OA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2S4S2J74OA

KazukiQZ
May 29, 2015, 03:13 AM
^That looks fun xD

Can the Virtual Connect mode be toggled on/off during PSO2 still open though?

landman
May 29, 2015, 06:11 AM
Moving the Y axis has worked since long ago, you just have to uncheck the head tracking option or something.

You can switch first person camera on and off in the program mid game, but the angle parameters stay the same so unless you play with the default pso2 fov angle or change it on the go it will look strange.

Punisher106
May 29, 2015, 09:42 AM
Well, then, I'm slow. I'll give this a try, then, I suppose.

ieptav
Jun 1, 2015, 04:57 PM
Having a small issue using this on my cast character, despite changing the eye height it's eyes are still stuck in the chest area and changing the height causes the player model to raise off the ground. It works how it's intended when I change to a costume of course.

Nevermind, I was using the wrong modifier.

Rayden
Jun 19, 2015, 06:20 PM
Could this be made to work for the HTC Vive when it comes out this November? Would it be possible to support the motion controls somehow?

Punisher106
Jun 19, 2015, 08:00 PM
Alright, decided to get this, despite not having an Oculus Rift. When I try opening the VC, I notice that the next instant, the program kills itself. I have all the required downloads. What am I doing wrong, exactly?

HardLight620
Jun 20, 2015, 11:39 PM
Alright, decided to get this, despite not having an Oculus Rift. When I try opening the VC, I notice that the next instant, the program kills itself. I have all the required downloads. What am I doing wrong, exactly?

Do you think you could message me some details about the issue? Does it give you any error messages or just the regular windows crash dialogue? Have you tried reinstalling the Microsoft .NET Framework from the download in the opening post (I mention this because it was the cause of a similar issue for someone else). Also, could you let me know which version of windows you are on?

Could this be made to work for the HTC Vive when it comes out this November? Would it be possible to support the motion controls somehow?

As far as I'm aware, the Vive operates mainly using position/orientation tracking which is great in terms of experience, but not so great when it comes to rigging a character to the player. If it happens to support an orientation only mode like the Oculus, then most of the work is already done - the only thing that would need to be changed would be the distortion algorithm.

For the most part, I don't have any plans for motion controls beyond rigging the character's head orientation to the player's head. While I have reached a point where it would be possible to manipulate the player character's model and bone structure, rigging it to motion controls would require at least developing some kind of IK solution in the game - no easy feat when all you have are assembly injections to work with. Maybe once I decide to jump to a proper dll injection I'll consider it.

Also, speaking of distortion rendering, I've been doing a bit of work on getting some chroma correction up and running.

[spoiler-box]
http://i60.tinypic.com/33zecjp.png
[/spoiler-box]

It works fairly well, but it also causes the game to take a bit of a performance hit. Right now, it's rendering 6 distortion meshes - 1 for each of the 3 color channels for each eye. Given the density of the Oculus distortion mesh as well as the fact that none of the 6 meshes are buffered, it's no wonder that there would be some slowdown. For the time being, I'll probably make it toggleable like everything else so you don't have to go with it if your system can't handle it.

Punisher106
Jun 21, 2015, 12:22 AM
I'm on Windows 8.1. As for errors, I get nothing. My explorer window goes white, as if it was in the background, and then becomes colored, to be the active window, again. No errors, nothing. I pull up Task Manager, and run the program. I see it run for about a second, before it kills itself. I get no messages, nothing. I have all three things installed, as instructed.

Morgan Fumi
Jun 23, 2015, 04:23 AM
This looks pretty epic, but it also looks like it could give a person some serious motion sickness with how fast character movement can get.

Thought I guess thats kind of inherent to the technology in the first place, really.

Punisher106
Jun 23, 2015, 11:45 PM
Okay, new problem. After running the program, several hours later, my computer will freeze for a few seconds, then suddenly restart. It only started after I got this. What the hell's going on?

Link_of_Hyrule
Jun 26, 2015, 03:01 AM
Anyway you can get this to work with Google Cardboard ( https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/ ) via the Trinus VR app? http://oddsheepgames.com/trinus/?help

HardLight620
Jul 8, 2015, 01:47 AM
Just a heads up: This week's update is going to be a bit late due to the GameGuard update. It will likely be a week or so until I have time to do the update.

Anyway you can get this to work with Google Cardboard ( https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/ ) via the Trinus VR app? http://oddsheepgames.com/trinus/?help

I haven't fully looked into this yet, but judging from what I briefly gleaned from the page you linked, it looks like all you need a split screen rendering which is already supported. I don't know any of the details regarding resolution, fov, or distortion, but aside from the last, the first 2 can be configured using the config file.

Okay, new problem. After running the program, several hours later, my computer will freeze for a few seconds, then suddenly restart. It only started after I got this. What the hell's going on?

Are you still encountering this problem? Send me a message if you are. For the most part, the only thing PSO2VC does is scan the process list for the purposes of the assembly injection. Aside from that, it also allocates some memory for communication, takes in HMD input, and listens for a few keyboard inputs. It's hard to tell if any one of those things could cause a whole system failure.

EDIT:

Updated. I wasn't able to add chroma correction this time around, but I did manage to get a few bugfixes in. Most of them were to do with the FPS mode.

scionlore
Jul 12, 2015, 12:15 PM
It does not work. The game crashes on the loading screen. Pso2 has stopped working, and that's all. Any solution to this?

HardLight620
Jul 13, 2015, 08:59 PM
It does not work. The game crashes on the loading screen. Pso2 has stopped working, and that's all. Any solution to this?

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like something got screwed up with the FPS portion of the mod. enabling it at all will cause the game to crash.

I should be able to get it fixed reasonably soon.

EDIT:

Aaaaannnd GameGuard has gone and updated again. C'mon guys, I'm trying to run an honest business here.

EDIT2:

Alright, back in business. A new version is up which fixes the FPS bug. Let me know if you encounter any other problems.

GoldGenII
Jul 23, 2015, 10:37 PM
Hmm.... very nice. I see that in addition to the program, it has the ability to hide the UI in real-time. Apologies if this was mentioned, but is there any other program that's able to do that? Would like it for normal gameplay since even with FPS disabled, it still functions a bit differently...

Shear
Jul 24, 2015, 01:35 AM
Doesn't the Tweaker have an Option to hide the UI.

landman
Jul 24, 2015, 01:53 AM
Not in real time like this one, if you use the tweaker option you have to log in without seeing a single menu, and playing is the same.

HardLight620
Jul 25, 2015, 03:10 PM
I have been long thinking about creating a PSO2VC Lite tool that simply implements a bunch of useful tweaks without the VR functionality/side affects. So far, the feature set I've been considering is:

- Culling distance adjustments
- HUD placement and sizing
- Camera distance, fov, and aspect ratio adjustments
- Walking/running speeds
- Disabling character pushing (same as the Vita version)
- Disabling the intro video

Next month, I may just have the time to get started on it. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to maintain it as this will mean I'll have 2 tools I need to update per patch, but I suppose it's worth giving a try if there's enough demand for it.

Misaki Ki
Jul 25, 2015, 09:20 PM
You'd be loved forever <3

GoldGenII
Jul 25, 2015, 10:38 PM
I have been long thinking about creating a PSO2VC Lite tool that simply implements a bunch of useful tweaks without the VR functionality/side affects. So far, the feature set I've been considering is:

- Culling distance adjustments
- HUD placement and sizing
- Camera distance, fov, and aspect ratio adjustments
- Walking/running speeds
- Disabling character pushing (same as the Vita version)
- Disabling the intro video

Next month, I may just have the time to get started on it. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to maintain it as this will mean I'll have 2 tools I need to update per patch, but I suppose it's worth giving a try if there's enough demand for it.
That.... that would be useful on epic proportions ¦o

MDashK
Jul 26, 2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome... I still havne't had the $chance$ of getting my hands on a Oculus Rift, I guess I'll wait for the consumer version when it come out, but I already used this even without the Oculus and I enjoyed all the extra features of it. Specially the function that makes other characters and NPC's not disapear. Would be awesome if you could include that as well in your new program. In any case, thanks a lot for this. Can't wait to get my hands on a Oculus. =)

Frankincense
Jul 28, 2015, 08:25 AM
Think it'd be possible to add an option that removes cut-ins, too? Don't know how that kind of stuff works, but if it's possible, I'm sure there'd be interest for that kind of thing as well. Boss shots, recording at events where undesirables spam cut-ins just to be a nuisance, etc.

BCRSS
Aug 4, 2015, 01:41 PM
First off I would like to thank you for this wonderful program. It's really something.

I've been using it for almost a month now and I've noticed a few bugs I'd like to report to you.

First bug is the worst and appears when using PSO2 Connect with a 3D monitor with "fps mode" and "stereoscopic rendering" turned on.
For some reason, with those two options turned on, the image is stretched horizontally, akin to stretching an image with a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9. The only thing I can do to get it to stop stretching the image is to do the following:
Press Z to change the view point, deactivate stereo rendering, press Z to change view point back, then reactivate stereo rendering. This makes the program render the image correctly until something happens that changes the viewpoint (pressing Z again, using a jump pad, using a turret, cutscene, etc.)
I've read the entire thread, and found something similar another person was experiencing (stretched image with all rendering options turned off), but the fix for that doesn't work for this issue.

Second bug I've noticed is that the option to hide the window frame doesn't fill the screen perfectly, and instead creates a rainbow line with a thickness of a few pixels, on the top and right sides of the screen.

And the third bug I've noticed is that on a 3D monitor, with 3D stereoscopic and fps modes turned on, objects really close to the camera (like dress collars) are rendered incorrectly. The separation between the left and right sides is too wide, making it very hard and eye straining to focus on such objects. A way to manually adjust separation for very close objects only would go A LONG way towards fixing this.

Also, I have 2 suggestions for PSO2 Connect.
First, right now, you have to click the option to hide the window frame, every time the program starts. Could you add an option to hide the window frame, but one that is remembered and applied automatically every time? Keep the current one as well for compatibility issues.

And second, If eye height is always a value produced from subtracting 16.5 from the character height, may I suggest that you replace the eye height box with a character height box, and have PSO2 Connect automatically calculate the correct eye height from that? Just to make it a little more foolproof. Some non native english speakers might get confused by the current system.

HardLight620
Aug 4, 2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome... I still havne't had the $chance$ of getting my hands on a Oculus Rift, I guess I'll wait for the consumer version when it come out, but I already used this even without the Oculus and I enjoyed all the extra features of it. Specially the function that makes other characters and NPC's not disapear. Would be awesome if you could include that as well in your new program. In any case, thanks a lot for this. Can't wait to get my hands on a Oculus. =)

Thanks. Your feedback is much appreciated. Disabling the character culling is a one-liner, so I'll be sure to add it in to the Lite version.

Think it'd be possible to add an option that removes cut-ins, too? Don't know how that kind of stuff works, but if it's possible, I'm sure there'd be interest for that kind of thing as well. Boss shots, recording at events where undesirables spam cut-ins just to be a nuisance, etc.

Maybe. I'll go ahead and add it to the list for the time being. I haven't had a chance to look too deeply into UI, but from what I've seen so far, it's a bit of a mess in terms of organization.

First off I would like to thank you for this wonderful program. It's really something.

I've been using it for almost a month now and I've noticed a few bugs I'd like to report to you.

First bug is the worst and appears when using PSO2 Connect with a 3D monitor with "fps mode" and "stereoscopic rendering" turned on.
For some reason, with those two options turned on, the image is stretched horizontally, akin to stretching an image with a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9. The only thing I can do to get it to stop stretching the image is to do the following:
Press Z to change the view point, deactivate stereo rendering, press Z to change view point back, then reactivate stereo rendering. This makes the program render the image correctly until something happens that changes the viewpoint (pressing Z again, using a jump pad, using a turret, cutscene, etc.)
I've read the entire thread, and found something similar another person was experiencing (stretched image with all rendering options turned off), but the fix for that doesn't work for this issue.

Second bug I've noticed is that the option to hide the window frame doesn't fill the screen perfectly, and instead creates a rainbow line with a thickness of a few pixels, on the top and right sides of the screen.

And the third bug I've noticed is that on a 3D monitor, with 3D stereoscopic and fps modes turned on, objects really close to the camera (like dress collars) are rendered incorrectly. The separation between the left and right sides is too wide, making it very hard and eye straining to focus on such objects. A way to manually adjust separation for very close objects only would go A LONG way towards fixing this.

Also, I have 2 suggestions for PSO2 Connect.
First, right now, you have to click the option to hide the window frame, every time the program starts. Could you add an option to hide the window frame, but one that is remembered and applied automatically every time? Keep the current one as well for compatibility issues.

And second, If eye height is always a value produced from subtracting 16.5 from the character height, may I suggest that you replace the eye height box with a character height box, and have PSO2 Connect automatically calculate the correct eye height from that? Just to make it a little more foolproof. Some non native english speakers might get confused by the current system.

Thanks for the feedback.

For the first bug, you are likely correct in that the game is being stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio as that's the default ratio for the Oculus Rift. PSOVC has to manipulate the aspect ratio in order to properly do the stereoscopic rendering, so if your fullscreen resolution is anything besides the Rift's default 16:9, it'll probably look weird. The post you found is a bit outdated, so the proper solution you'll want is to change the Aspect Ratio value from (9/16) = 0.5625, to (3/4) = 0.75 inside your preferences.ini file.

I can't say I've had the second bug happen to me before. Do you think you could upload a screenshot of what it looks like?

I'm not really sure what to say about the last bug. Stereo rendering is done simply by positioning two cameras in the world where the player's eyes would be. Adjusting the IPD will have a greater influence on how you perceive near objects than far objects, so the best advice I can give is to decrease the IPD until you can comfortably focus on near objects.

As far as removing the window frame by default, the main reason I didn't do that is because you can't move or maximize the game window without window frame. So most of the time you would just have to enable it on startup anyways. I can see about linking the option to a hotkey though which may make the process a bit smoother.

Eye height is a bit tougher. The figure of 16.5 is just an approximation. The actual offset is different for each character. Hardcoding in an offset of 16.5 probably wouldn't be the best solution and neither would having the eye offset configurable separate from the character height. In the end, I settled for the simplest and hopefully the most easiest to understand solution. In the future, I may look into finding a way for extracting the anchor point for the glasses accessory from your character so that the character height can be set automatically, but that is going to take some time.

Anyways, no new updates with regards to either app as of late. But I plan on starting on the Lite version in a few days.

BCRSS
Aug 6, 2015, 06:14 AM
For the first bug, you are likely correct in that the game is being stretched to a 16:9 aspect ratio as that's the default ratio for the Oculus Rift. PSOVC has to manipulate the aspect ratio in order to properly do the stereoscopic rendering, so if your fullscreen resolution is anything besides the Rift's default 16:9, it'll probably look weird. The post you found is a bit outdated, so the proper solution you'll want is to change the Aspect Ratio value from (9/16) = 0.5625, to (3/4) = 0.75 inside your preferences.ini file.

I can't say I've had the second bug happen to me before. Do you think you could upload a screenshot of what it looks like?

I'm not really sure what to say about the last bug. Stereo rendering is done simply by positioning two cameras in the world where the player's eyes would be. Adjusting the IPD will have a greater influence on how you perceive near objects than far objects, so the best advice I can give is to decrease the IPD until you can comfortably focus on near objects.

As far as removing the window frame by default, the main reason I didn't do that is because you can't move or maximize the game window without window frame. So most of the time you would just have to enable it on startup anyways. I can see about linking the option to a hotkey though which may make the process a bit smoother.

Eye height is a bit tougher. The figure of 16.5 is just an approximation. The actual offset is different for each character. Hardcoding in an offset of 16.5 probably wouldn't be the best solution and neither would having the eye offset configurable separate from the character height. In the end, I settled for the simplest and hopefully the most easiest to understand solution. In the future, I may look into finding a way for extracting the anchor point for the glasses accessory from your character so that the character height can be set automatically, but that is going to take some time.

Anyways, no new updates with regards to either app as of late. But I plan on starting on the Lite version in a few days.

I've tried the fix you posted, but that just made the correct render I get after applying my little fix, look a little stretched without doing anything for the pre fix render. I want to post screenshots, but I don't have the post count to do that.
My monitor is a standard 16:9 aspect ratio, 23 inch, 1920x1080, 3D screen.
The game is running in a window like you said, at 1920x1080.

The reason I suggested an option to permanently remove the window frame is because for people using first person mode, once you set the window location, that's where the window will always stay, so such an option makes sense.

Also, I tried adjusting the IPD to fix the focus on near objects, but that causes my 189 cm high character to look shorter.

And regarding the character height, is the character height you are shown in the estethe always measured, or just when you are there? Because if it's always measured but simply not shown, then your job just became A LOT easier.

Quick Edit: Since changing the aspect ratio value from 0.5625 to 0.75 made it worse, I thought about going the other way, so I started decreasing it instead. At 0.285 the image now renders correctly.

lRagna
Aug 20, 2015, 09:30 PM
I tried it even if I dont have the Occulus and I actually loved it but the thing is that i want to set a different shortcut to the UI remover... where can i set it up? or is not in settings yet? also If i want only to use the UI remover without changing my camera options at all (and to make my character to not look at 1 point alway) how can i do that?

HardLight620
Aug 21, 2015, 12:31 AM
I tried it even if I dont have the Occulus and I actually loved it but the thing is that i want to set a different shortcut to the UI remover... where can i set it up? or is not in settings yet? also If i want only to use the UI remover without changing my camera options at all (and to make my character to not look at 1 point alway) how can i do that?

I didn't make the hotkey customizable yet, but I can certainly add it for the next release. Most of the other adjustments have been burned into the state of the game as part of the mod as it was originally made for use with the Oculus Rift, so they can't be disabled. However, it just so happens that I have been building a standalone mod tool for features like the UI toggle but without the other Oculus modifications. Most of the basics are complete, so I will probably be releasing the first version sometime next week.

The following features will be available for the first release:
- Disable the Intro Video
- Disable Near Culling
- Disable Far Culling (to a certain extent)
- Force maximum LOD for all geometry
- Toggle UI (on hotkey)
- Toggle Walking/Running (on hotkey)

Look forward to it!

In relation to what? The rest sounds great, but this sounds like it could be used for... less than savy purposes.

Also, pop back on IRC when you get a chance so we can chat about secret cool stuff.

Don't worry, the main idea for the feature is to be able to tweak how far the virtual joystick gets tilted for when you are using a keyboard. The game already clamps joystick inputs to between 0% and 100%, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of input manipulation.

I'm curious about how things are going on Polaris development. It sounds like you guys are starting to get a lot figured out. I think I even saw something relating to server side LUA commands up on the Wiki. I've been wanting to contribute a bit too, but I don't have an account setup on there yet. I'll see about dropping by the IRC again so I can get one setup.

Kokurokoki
Aug 21, 2015, 12:52 AM
I want this...

BlankM
Aug 21, 2015, 09:30 AM
HUD resizing would be great for people who play with DSR and their UI gets too small.

lRagna
Aug 21, 2015, 10:38 AM
I'm really looking forward to it! so far it helps me with videos and SS stuff and im very satisfied with the outcome even with the Occulus issue (for me) i sometimes fool around with the FPS mode so ill be waiting for the standalone mod!

Silent Lycoris
Sep 11, 2015, 06:20 AM
Is there a way to enable head rigging as of yet? Since the character model client-side seems to be generated from the fixed eye-position, I would assume clipping issues with it would be minimal. o.O

*May or may not be looking forward to seeing everything like hair and accessorys framing the view* >.>;

Edit:
Are accessorys in general not rigged with the body? o.O

KazukiQZ
Sep 11, 2015, 06:26 AM
HUD resizing would be great for people who play with DSR and their UI gets too small.
This can be done already, but by manually changing numbers in user.pso2 file in MY Documents.

BlankM
Sep 11, 2015, 08:19 AM
This can be done already, but by manually changing numbers in user.pso2 file in MY Documents.

AFAIK it can't go bigger than your max resolution.

[Ayumi]
Sep 11, 2015, 08:53 AM
The default eye-neck and neck-torso offsets have been tuned for a character with a height of ~175cm. Generally, PSO2 characters are shorter than this.

I sometimes think I'm the only one that is around 195cm.

Either way, it seems okay but seems much more difficult to play this way.

kittycalypse
Sep 17, 2015, 06:30 AM
It works nicely, there are a few things that would make this fully playable, though.
The main problem is, that I can`t see my own hp bar which can be problematic occasionally, and whenever I try to move UI elements, results in gameguard revolting.
Same goes for the minimap, but can skip that problem by simply popping the map every now and then.

Other thing is, it doesn`t seem to work with eng story and item patches applied (PSO2 window opens then closes immediately).

Otherwise it`s working nicely, could do DO-s and EQ-s more or less okay (died more times than usual of course, but that`s kinda it).
Luther looks badass in VR >.>

Would it be possible to apply the color aberration filter too (or make the scource available so i could try myself)?
That would be pretty ultimate.

Keep up the good work ^^

Edit:

Appearently it`s not the patch, the mod stopped working after today's client update, tried with a vanilla client.

HardLight620
Sep 17, 2015, 11:59 AM
Is there a way to enable head rigging as of yet? Since the character model client-side seems to be generated from the fixed eye-position, I would assume clipping issues with it would be minimal. o.O

*May or may not be looking forward to seeing everything like hair and accessorys framing the view* >.>;

Edit:
Are accessorys in general not rigged with the body? o.O

I had to remove accessories for the time being or else unrigged head accessories would get in the way of the camera. There's no way to distinguish between a head accessory and a body accessory, so I had to do away with all of them.

Head rigging has been on hold until I can make a few adjustments to the mod. Ideally, I'd like to be able to determine when the camera is following the player, and when the game is using an external camera. Otherwise, your character's head will always be stretched over to wherever the current camera is. When I do get head rigging in, I'll probably add options to hide equipped accessories for the ones the completely obscure your vision.

It works nicely, there are a few things that would make this fully playable, though.
The main problem is, that I can`t see my own hp bar which can be problematic occasionally, and whenever I try to move UI elements, results in gameguard revolting.
Same goes for the minimap, but can skip that problem by simply popping the map every now and then.

Other thing is, it doesn`t seem to work with eng story and item patches applied (PSO2 window opens then closes immediately).

Otherwise it`s working nicely, could do DO-s and EQ-s more or less okay (died more times than usual of course, but that`s kinda it).
Luther looks badass in VR >.>

Would it be possible to apply the color aberration filter too (or make the scource available so i could try myself)?
That would be pretty ultimate.

Keep up the good work ^^

Edit:

Appearently it`s not the patch, the mod stopped working after today's client update, tried with a vanilla client.

The recent maintenance broke a few things, but it should be fixed now. Full UI support has been on the backburner for a while now. I haven't been able to do a whole lot for this since I started working on the ArksModTool. It's been kind of hard to work on this ever since Oculus discontinued support for extended mode.

Chroma correction technically works, but it effectively makes your system render the distortion mesh 3 times for each eye unbuffered. It also looks like there's something off about the correction meshes I have, so I'll need to revisit them to find out what's wrong.

The source currently isn't available, but I've been meaning to make it available sometime in the near future. That being said, there's not a whole lot to see. Most of it is just precompiled x86 injections that can't be modified unless you are able to bypass gameguard, and I have no intentions of making that method public. Maybe it will be more useful once private server use becomes more mainstream.

Sandrokun
Sep 17, 2015, 03:10 PM
This mod seems pretty frickin' sweet, and if I wasn't already planning to buy an occulus I would change my mind in a heartbeat just for this. I do have a question though in the mean time given it'll be a bit before the consumer version comes up for sale. I see on the main post that there's settings to allow first person even if you don't have the occulus, so my main concern at this point in time is that if I download this and try first person without occulus will it just do it on one screen like the normal game is or is it gonna split it up into two like you usually see in occulus feed videos. I only ask this because I've not seen any screenshots or gameplay footage of this being used without the occulus.

Shadowth117
Sep 17, 2015, 03:23 PM
This mod seems pretty frickin' sweet, and if I wasn't already planning to buy an occulus I would change my mind in a heartbeat just for this. I do have a question though in the mean time given it'll be a bit before the consumer version comes up for sale. I see on the main post that there's settings to allow first person even if you don't have the occulus, so my main concern at this point in time is that if I download this and try first person without occulus will it just do it on one screen like the normal game is or is it gonna split it up into two like you usually see in occulus feed videos. I only ask this because I've not seen any screenshots or gameplay footage of this being used without the occulus.

You can choose actually. There's a fair few settings to choose from and among them is this option. You'll also want to make sure that you allow camera movement with your keyboard/controller in the settings since you won't be looking up and down with the occulus.

kittycalypse
Sep 18, 2015, 02:48 AM
Chroma correction technically works, but it effectively makes your system render the distortion mesh 3 times for each eye unbuffered. It also looks like there's something off about the correction meshes I have, so I'll need to revisit them to find out what's wrong.

Sticking with the 0.5.1 is totally fine, I`m sticking to that with my own project too, I don't plan to use any of the further betas but rather update the whole project when a 1.x comes out next year. There is a way to hack-enable extended with the 0.7.1 too but it's pointless to waste time on it since 0.5 does its job anyway.

Chromatic aberration filter would be nice to have though, how about making it optional for those with good enough rig? Most of the oculus developers have a powerful-enough machine anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem, knowing that PSO2 isn't really demanding on the hardware, and it would make the game pretty much playable and enjoyable for long sessions.

For now, I just use a script to pixelread the HP bar's location on the mirror view and plays different voice clips based on the result and while it's far from an elegant solution, at least it solves the problem.

Kudos for your work! (^.^)b

Sandrokun
Sep 18, 2015, 04:20 AM
You can choose actually. There's a fair few settings to choose from and among them is this option. You'll also want to make sure that you allow camera movement with your keyboard/controller in the settings since you won't be looking up and down with the occulus.

Awesome, so I went ahead and downloaded it, and it works like a charm, works exactly as advertised. I do have one other question though incase maybe it's just me doing something wrong. I went through the preferences menu and I started messing with the options so I could tailor it to controller play (turned off stereo rendering and lock y axis, as well as disabled both head tracking options). With that done I was able to play in game no problem, but I notice that my character's body is higher than it should be, or rather, the head positioning is lower than should be, so instead of the camera being at eye level with my char, it's more along the lines of just under where the chin would be, right in the middle of the neck. Now, I was following your tips on the main post about eye height that you could use the character creator menu to calculate the correct height by subtracting 16.5 from the height number.

This is originally what put me off trying to play, because my char's outfit shows up alot more than I thought it would, and my shoulders basically envelop either side of my camera. So with this in mind, I went back and changed the eye height to the original number of 175 and it didn't seem to do anything, the camera is still placed right at the throat.

Now looking through the other options I see there's two sections: "Eye to Neck Offset" and "Neck to Torso Offset", upon floating my mouse over these it tells me these are only used when HMD tracking is enabled. Is there an option or setting I'm missing to simply raise the camera height by a bit or would it require additional coding?

*Edit* Upon going back through the preferences menu I noticed that the eye to neck offset section is only used if HMD tracking is disabled and not enabled, my bad. But going forward with correct information about what number would be recommended for the upward and forward settings so I'll be at eye level and not throat level? Or how can I calculate that the closest?

Lorne
Sep 18, 2015, 01:53 PM
I'm really looking forward to trying this out with the Vive.

Sandrokun
Sep 18, 2015, 03:08 PM
Sorry about all these posts, but I got my situation figured out by messing around with the eye to neck ratio. Now I have another.... I wouldn't call it a concern really just more of a possible suggestion. I notice that when I attack my back and arm armor pieces obscure a good portion of what's going on for a few moments each swing of my weapon, with one's like the bow and gun mode gunslash it's fine because I'm not swinging my arms, but for blade weapons it gets very irritating pretty fast. I know there's the option to change the opacity of my char's body or turn it invisible altogether, but I really want to still see my weapon swinging when attacking.

Would it be possible to add in an option to make just the armor pieces invisible while leaving the body and weapons intact, something akin to how mmo's will commonly include a 'hide helmet' option?

Rayden
Sep 18, 2015, 05:21 PM
There's already an in-game option to hide your units.

kittycalypse
Sep 19, 2015, 06:25 AM
I'm really looking forward to trying this out with the Vive.

Did you actually get your hands on one?

Silent Lycoris
Sep 21, 2015, 08:27 AM
I had to remove accessories for the time being or else unrigged head accessories would get in the way of the camera. There's no way to distinguish between a head accessory and a body accessory, so I had to do away with all of them.

Head rigging has been on hold until I can make a few adjustments to the mod. Ideally, I'd like to be able to determine when the camera is following the player, and when the game is using an external camera. Otherwise, your character's head will always be stretched over to wherever the current camera is. When I do get head rigging in, I'll probably add options to hide equipped accessories for the ones the completely obscure your vision.

I know it would be dirty coding, but would making head/accessory rigging a toggleable settings option much like the first person camera itself is be an idea for a temporary workaround? o.O

Either way, amazing job~ Even without an Occulus playing Ranger in first person is an amazing experiance ^^

HardLight620
Oct 7, 2015, 10:56 AM
I've actually only gotten this to work about three times, and they were all a couple months ago. It actually gave me these problems before I got it working back then, and I couldn't even tell what I had done differently the few times it did work. Nothing has changed between then and now aside from game version and Virtual Connect version.

Have always started Virtual Connect first, PSO2 second
PSO2 is always running in a 16:9 res in windowed mode
Have redownloaded/installed everything provided on the front post as of today
It's inconsistently recognized PSO2 as open and not when not running as admin
Am not attempting to run alongside Arks Mod Tool
When running as admin, it always recognizes PSO2 but always gives this error:

Detected PSO2 Window [PID:6624]
Applying patches...
ReadProcessMemory : Error 0x00000005 - Access is denied
Failed to apply patches.

And then gameguard throws its hissyfit. Have tried every combination of running as admin and not running as admin with Virtual Connect, the tweaker, and the official launcher.

Arks Mod Tool has always worked fine and still does, but this has always given me issues >_<

Thanks for bringing this up. The ArksModTool had the same problem. Essentially, when you're running on a fast system, GG hides the pso2 process before PSO2VC can connect to it. I've reduced the default connection interval in the latest update, so that should make it connect a bit more consistently. You can also adjust the interval in your preferences.ini file under "Scan Interval" if more tuning is required. Hope it helps.

HardLight620
Oct 14, 2015, 11:37 PM
Updated for pso2.exe v3.0901.0.

Still getting the same error with interval set to 10, 5 and 1. Think any numbers in-between would be worth trying?

Changing the interval will only help for making PSOVC connect to PSO2 more consistently. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do for now. I'm not sure why it would be failing when in administrator mode and not when outside of administrator mode though. Typically, administrator mode is required to write to other processes so usually it's the other way around. For now, go with whatever works on your system.

xBM
Oct 16, 2015, 07:10 PM
Hmm, I checked out this tool and followed the instructions to use the tool.

But I can't seem to get it to work because GG just makes the game crash with an error NP1015.

I've started the tool before PSO2 launches, tried to start the tool after PSO2 launches, and none worked.

Does anyone mind helping me?

JocPro
Nov 24, 2015, 06:23 AM
Link to 64 bits version goes to 2.0n instead of latest version...

HardLight620
Nov 24, 2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've fixed the link to reflect the latest version.

EDIT:

This week's update will be delayed. The latest patch broke a bunch of things and I won't have enough time this week to get them fixed. Expected release should be sometime next week.

shou-liengod
Jan 1, 2016, 07:23 PM
hows the progress?

HardLight620
Jan 1, 2016, 10:54 PM
Virtual Connect updates have been on hold for the holidays. With a little luck, things should be back up and running sometime this month.

NoiseHERO
Jan 10, 2016, 06:52 PM
600 dollar BUUUUUUMP?? Are those allowed here? bumps?

I'm still wanting to try this.

HardLight620
Jan 12, 2016, 12:28 AM
All updated and ready to go. Download is in the OP as always. Thanks for being patient over the holiday down time. Have fun.

NoiseHERO
Jan 12, 2016, 07:08 AM
Cool man you're a cool guy man you're a prodigy man you're a genius

shou-liengod
Jan 12, 2016, 07:28 AM
awesome, keep up the good work!
if you need some support, ask us anytime~

Sizustar
Jan 12, 2016, 11:33 PM
So..does this work with AIS?

HardLight620
Jan 13, 2016, 11:50 AM
So..does this work with AIS?

It currently does not work with AIS units. It won't crash, but the camera remains at the player's height putting the view roughly between the AIS' legs. AIS and gun turret support are two things that still need to be properly implemented. The hard part about AIS units is that there's no reliable way of testing them outside of EQs.

shou-liengod
Jan 29, 2016, 02:48 AM
also i have a question, before Episode 4 hit the servers, i noticed some things were blurry such as few fonts and esspecially Symbol Arts when i wasnt using the Virtual Connect when i used it prior. is the patch that installed through the VC had anything to do with it by chance? iv been having trouble of figuring out how to fix it and the blur still took effect in episode 4 with the new UI.

Skull
Feb 6, 2016, 08:08 AM
Hello, when your gonna update? because the target its pso2.exe v3.1002.0 and already 4... Sorry for my bad english but i wanna to try this, this program could get me banned?

HardLight620
Feb 6, 2016, 03:01 PM
also i have a question, before Episode 4 hit the servers, i noticed some things were blurry such as few fonts and esspecially Symbol Arts when i wasnt using the Virtual Connect when i used it prior. is the patch that installed through the VC had anything to do with it by chance? iv been having trouble of figuring out how to fix it and the blur still took effect in episode 4 with the new UI.

VC does not install any longterm patches into the game, so if you aren't running it, it will have no affect on your game. The blur is likely caused by something else. Try running a file check I guess?

Hello, when your gonna update? because the target its pso2.exe v3.1002.0 and already 4... Sorry for my bad english but i wanna to try this, this program could get me banned?

Episode 4 broke a bunch of things in the mod that I haven't had a chance to fix yet, so updates are on hold until then. I'll try to have it updated sometime this coming week.

As for the possibility of being banned, all the adjustments made with this mod only affect what the client sees, so there's very little chance of it getting you banned.

falcos
Apr 10, 2016, 06:33 AM
@hardlight620 is there any update on this mod working as my one is out dated and cant get it to work?

Variant
Apr 11, 2016, 02:42 PM
As for the possibility of being banned, all the adjustments made with this mod only affect what the client sees, so there's very little chance of it getting you banned.

FWIW, as far as I'm aware, it's the same risk as using the damage dumper, item translation, title translation, or proxy plugin (not the proxy itself, just the plugin that modifies the client's keys)

They all do memory modifying shenanigans on the client-side, so eh. Whether or not SEGA goes to the trouble of logging all that is unknown.

Guess you gotta risk it to get the biscuit.

Lorne
Apr 11, 2016, 03:16 PM
Will this work for the HTC Vive?

HardLight620
Apr 17, 2016, 03:55 PM
Sorry for the radio silence folks. I guess I should be more responsible. Anyways, here's a bit of an update regarding this mod's status:

Hey Lorne, thanks for your support. The reason the Virtual Connect mod has been suspended for so long now is because I have actually been working on getting both it and the Arks Mod Tool to a state where I can open source them. Because the Virtual Connect mod isn't used all that often, I have only been maintaining the Mod Tool as of late.

I can't say I really have plans to support the HTC Vive. Position tracking is pretty difficult to mod into a game when you're trying to synchronize the player's body with the character's body. Likewise, hand tracking is completely out. If you just wanted to have orientation tracking for the head, then the only thing that really needs to be changed is the distortion mesh for the game and the input libraries on the Virtual Connect app, so it wouldn't be that big of a jump to support the Vive in that regard.

In any case, the open sourcing updates are nearly complete, so maybe I'll start working on the Virtual Connect mod again after that.

PrinceBrightstar
May 31, 2016, 01:50 PM
Sorry for the bump but I wanted to get an update on how things are going with open sourcing things. I've got a rift on the way.

Sakura1
Jun 5, 2016, 03:57 PM
This looks amazing would love to try it @_@

Rayden
Jun 5, 2016, 08:37 PM
I'd love to try this with my Vive.

LiserriaLuna
Jun 6, 2016, 12:57 AM
i've downloaded this emu to my pc but i don't know how to use, does anyone teach me some tips to use this for take a picture pls.

HardLight620
Jun 12, 2016, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the bump but I wanted to get an update on how things are going with open sourcing things. I've got a rift on the way.

I still haven't really done much on this front. v4 broke a whole lot of things, so those need to be fixed before I can properly release the source. Some parts I barely remember how they worked or where they were hooked. So to update this, I'm going to need to take some time to sit down and do some thorough investigation.

To be honest, I'm not even sure how well open sourcing VC would go. VC is much more prone to breakages than AMT so it'd require a lot more attention to maintain - yet I'm barely managing to keep AMT updated. There's also the fact that Oculus has discontinued the extended desktop mode, so even if you want to use this, you have to go through the awkward process of downgrading your runtime. And then I don't even know if the downgraded runtime would work with the Oculus CV1. Regrettably, it may be that it is already impossible to use this mod for new Oculus users.

In any case, I do remember how awesome it was using this mod. I'd love for other people to have a chance to try it too. I will do my best to bring it back up online again, but I can't make you any guarantees.

Daiyousei
Mar 14, 2017, 12:19 PM
I would love to use this again, it was cool to take screenshots in first person and look down at my feet. So here's hoping for an update to things since

Agne
Oct 3, 2021, 11:27 PM
soo, just got a rift, am i correct in understanding this is no more? if it's still usable.. how do?

PrinceBrightstar
Oct 4, 2021, 01:43 AM
Hardlight left the community several years ago, and because this needed to be re-targeted after each update, yes it's no more. Nice bump.