PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 won't launch (but processes are running)

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 03:42 AM
A friend of mine is having a problem trying to start the game. Launcher runs fine, but the game window doesn't pop up after gameguard splash screen disappears... although the game processes are running in the background and taking a good amount of CPU (~25%)

He said the game was running fine tonight until he decided to restart his PC because he all of a sudden started experiencing lag spikes and puTTy's "software caused connection abort" error constantly... every 5 minutes or so.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://puu.sh/dEN8T/7237d4e0a4.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

System specs:
Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom II X4 945
Radeon HD 5770
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

He's tried the following in attempt to fix this:
*Restart PC (he's done it several times already)
*Deleted GameGuard folder and redownloaded it
*File check
*Clean temp files/registry with CCleaner
*Reinstall graphics card drivers
*System restore (which was set to Dec 17th)
*File check again after system restore

Might be hardware failure? And yes, nothing pops up even after waiting like 10 mins.

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 05:20 AM
Well nobody is going to see this thread if the spammers don't stop!

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 05:51 AM
My friend can't boot PSO2 either, but the process only shows up for a second and vanishes.
Literally tried everything anyone can possibly imagine, and still can't fix it.
Beginning to think it might be something on SEGA's side.

Anyway, try deleting all Gameguard stuff, then reboot.
Try running PSO2 after that clean reboot.

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 06:14 AM
My friend can't boot PSO2 either, but the process only shows up for a second and vanishes.
Literally tried everything anyone can possibly imagine, and still can't fix it.
Beginning to think it might be something on SEGA's side.
Yes, the process vanishes because of Gameguard's attempt to hide it from hackers. Is the CPU usage still there, though?

Also, Idk if it's on SEGA's side. Game was running fine all day before he decided to restart pc because of dcing/error from puTTy on AWS. Unless there was a hidden patch somewhere tonight?

Anyway, try deleting all Gameguard stuff, then reboot.
Try running PSO2 after that clean reboot.
Just tried that, same results.

Will try reinstalling tomorrow after some sleep.

Thank you for your reply.

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 06:21 AM
No problem. I've been scouring JP and EN websites for info, but everyone just says the same stuff.

I knew about Gameguard attempting to hide the exe, but I figured PSO2 was closing itself.
Didn't check to see if the CPU usage is still there. Will do that, thanks.

My friend was playing, quit to test something for me, then tried to run it again and it stopped working.
They didn't install or update anything. I had them check all recent Windows updates, and removed some updates that JP users said caused problems. Still nothing.
Tried pasting registry keys to fix the missing nProtect service, tried adjusting router, tried removing anti-virus and other stuff, tried reinstalling, tried safe mode, tried running it on laptop, still the same result.

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 06:30 AM
Wow, when exactly did this start happening to your friend? Was it after this recent update?

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 06:42 AM
It was about 3 days ago now. The game was running fine after maintenance.

I had them check the process usage. They said it opened two PSO2.exes and then it specifically said they were "terminated", and their CPU usage dropped back down.
So... I guess it's a different problem. Damn Gameguard and SEGA.

Oh yeah, had them try PSO2Proxy, had them also try my Amazon proxy.
Also gave them my Gameguard files, even the ones in the System folder.
Nothing worked. I think proxy not working and laptop not working means it's not the system, and it's not the network.
So I have absolutely no idea what it could be. Ran Combofix in case it was a virus. No difference.

Kamijou Touma
Dec 22, 2014, 07:17 AM
i had this problem before about 6 maintenances ago it went away when they updated it >.>

and my specs are very similar to yours the only dif is that mine is 8.1 64bit pro
and that i have an intel HD graphics card everything else is the same

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 09:06 AM
Delete all the files in the Gameguard folder, then run it again. After it disappears, upload npgm.erl somewhere and PRIVATE MESSAGE me it. If it's GG's fault, it *should* say so in there.

Friend went to bed, will do that when they wake up. Thanks.

We sent those error files to nProtect a few days ago, but from what I've found on the net from the past decade, they always reply with the exact same automated mails.

Husq
Dec 22, 2014, 09:24 AM
You got any software installed that hooks onto directx api? Like afterburner or any other videocapture software? With recent updates GG has issues with them., which can cause the game not to launch and video/graphic lag. If you have any of those software installed try uninstalling them.

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 02:43 PM
I'm using the same capture stuff my friend is, but will try that next time.

Friend finally fixed the problem. Whether or not something changed on SEGA's side, I don't know.
This is what they said they did:
1. In the Tweaker, "Fix Gameguard issues" (ie. delete all Gameguard files and registry keys).
2. Delete gameguard.des in the PSO2 main folder (if it's still there).
3. Run the official PSO2 launcher, which redownloads gameguard.des.
4. Before clicking start game, delete gameguard.des again.
5. Click start game. PSO2 launcher should now update Gameguard "properly".

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 03:31 PM
Friend is in the middle of reinstalling (just started ~17 mins ago)

This is gonna be a long process zzzz

Yes, he uses afterburner but he always had this installed. Probably a coincidence, the session before he rebooted due to putty issues, he overclocked his card for pso2 after launching the game. He was on stock settings before. He reverted back to stock settings when he couldn't relaunch the game and it still wasn't working so idk if it's that problem.

He'll try Taiga's gameguard suggestion and uninstalling afterburner once game is installed and patched again. Will post the outcome.

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 03:55 PM
Thanks. Curious to know if it'll work. Good luck.

silo1991
Dec 22, 2014, 08:22 PM
im having the same problem with the gameguard , i updated today and worked fine but i stopped ; i launch the game again and its not working anymore .

also when it works the game says the servers are unavailable

i dont even know whats happening anymore D:

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 08:50 PM
Reinstalling PSO2 didn't change anything.
After the game was uninstalled, he deleted leftover files and then cleaned registry. Also rebooted PC after doing all of this.

He tried Taiga's suggestion and nothing new aside from being greeted by a BSOD (iirc said dump_wmimmc.sys?) when trying to close the processes... although we don't think it's related since this is the first time and he's already forced closed the processes at least 20 times.

Uninstalling MSI Afterburner didn't help at all.
Also cleaned leftover registry and rebooted PC after the uninstallation.

Doesn't seem like there's anything else to try... really makes no sense for the game to stop working like that. As far as I know, all of the other programs on his PC are running fine... no other BSODs besides the one from trying to close PSO2/gameguard process. (they don't close themselves... they will continue running in the background even after 30+ mins)

After sitting through numerous forced file checks (which last about 25-30 mins each... sometimes back to back which is BS) and doing a complete reinstallation of the game he's about to give up. :/

Any other suggestions? ><

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 10:03 PM
Delete all the files in the Gameguard folder, then run it again. After it disappears, upload npgm.erl somewhere and PRIVATE MESSAGE me it. If it's GG's fault, it *should* say so in there.
Followed your steps and sent you a fresh npgm.erl via PM. Please check it when you get a chance.

Thank you.

TaigaUC
Dec 22, 2014, 11:06 PM
Finished dailies and friend logged out. They later tried to log back in and now it's not working again.
The previous solution doesn't work either. What the hell.

They don't have an npgm.erl either. I think they have an npgmup.erl.

un1t27
Dec 22, 2014, 11:19 PM
Finished dailies and friend logged out. They later tried to log back in and now it's not working again.
The previous solution doesn't work either. What the hell.

They don't have an npgm.erl either. I think they have an npgmup.erl.

Is it the same program behavior? i.e. are pso2/gameguard processes still running or do they auto terminate like before?

Also... are there anybody from the JP side complaining about this?

TaigaUC
Dec 23, 2014, 01:51 AM
Seems to be the same problem. And no, no recent JP people complaining about this specific problem.
There's windows update IE security patch problem, but that breaks a ton of stuff, not just Gameguard.
All the past complaints just say the usual stuff; delete Gameguard, reinstall PSO2, format HDD.

Friend got a mail back from Gameguard.

Hello, this is Game Security Center from INCA Internet Co., Ltd.
Thank you for contacting us.
The error occurred when the gameguard update was failed.

Please figure out of your internet ISP.
Please reinstall the gameguard module to refer to the following site after deleting GameGuard folder into the game installation folder.
(수동패치 주소를 기재해 주시기 바랍니다.)
And please terminate all programs(processes) temporarily that was not related to game playing.
Thank you.

Different from the stuff I've seen, but still hardly useful.
I would rather they give me more technical info instead of encrypting their error logs.

Husq
Dec 23, 2014, 02:24 AM
Yes, he uses afterburner but he always had this installed. Probably a coincidence, the session before he rebooted due to putty issues, he overclocked his card for pso2 after launching the game. He was on stock settings before. He reverted back to stock settings when he couldn't relaunch the game and it still wasn't working so idk if it's that problem.

He'll try Taiga's gameguard suggestion and uninstalling afterburner once game is installed and patched again. Will post the outcome.

Did he got rid off rivatuner statistics server as well? It is an additional software that afterburner/precision x relies on. Other thing you can try is, get display driver uninstaller and remove your gpu driver and its registry entries, reinstall the latest version and remove GG files, before executing the launcher. If that still doesn't work check your ram modules.

un1t27
Dec 23, 2014, 03:41 PM
Did he got rid off rivatuner statistics server as well? It is an additional software that afterburner/precision x relies on. Other thing you can try is, get display driver uninstaller and remove your gpu driver and its registry entries, reinstall the latest version and remove GG files, before executing the launcher. If that still doesn't work check your ram modules.

Yes, Rivatuner was removed too. He'll do a ram test later

un1t27
Dec 24, 2014, 04:55 PM
Friend is finally back in the game... for now, anyway. He doesn't know exactly what fixed it, but it was something in Tweaker's "troubleshooting" option
[spoiler-box]http://puu.sh/dIbQq/fe57bc5341.jpg[/spoiler-box]

He thinks it was "Reset PSO2 Settings." Probably a registry entry screwed up when he rebooted that night. Oh well.

TaigaUC
Dec 25, 2014, 01:22 AM
Let's hope it lasts.

I tried remote assisting my friend's PC, still couldn't figure out the problem.
Hoping AIDA might salvage some info from the ERL files.

This is what happens to my friend's PC and laptop:
1. Boot PSO2. It downloads all the Gameguard files, no problem.
2. The download window closes for a moment, then reopens.
3. It redownloads gamemon.npz/des and ngppNT.npz/des again.
4. Immediately after downloading ngppNT.npz->des, the window says "authenticating" then closes.
5. Gameguard error window appears with several log files.
6. Closing this makes the 3xx error website show up.
7. PSO2 process terminates itself.