PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play PSO2 on their Macbook ?

vusun123
Dec 23, 2014, 02:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I just got my Macbook Pro from one of my friend for a cheap price. It has nice specs and all: i7-3720QM and Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT650M ( non retina ). Currently have Windows installed via Bootcamp. I was afraid of seeing my Macbook overheat then shutdown while playing PSO2 so I came here to ask for advice.

Thanks in advance

LordKaiser
Dec 23, 2014, 02:58 AM
Time to open it up, clean it and re-apply the thermal paste.

vusun123
Dec 23, 2014, 03:01 AM
True that it might need a full maintainance, but I'm sure that there's somebody in our forum who plays PSO2 on Macbooks right ? And due to Macbook's crappy firmware ( blame Tim Cook here ) it doesn't have Intel HD4000 in Windows, which is why the GT 650M heats up quick, am I right ?

Skyly
Dec 23, 2014, 03:45 AM
True that it might need a full maintainance, but I'm sure that there's somebody in our forum who plays PSO2 on Macbooks right ? And due to Macbook's crappy firmware ( blame Tim Cook here ) it doesn't have Intel HD4000 in Windows, which is why the GT 650M heats up quick, am I right ?

I used to play PSO2 on my macbook pro 2011 entry level model. It worked as good as I wanted it to. Can't crank the settings up but it's playable through bootcamp. Intel HD4000

Husq
Dec 23, 2014, 04:03 AM
Pso2 is quite bad in a sense that it utilises all of your gpu resources, so make sure to limit your frame rate in the settings, especially if you are gaming it on a notebooks/laptop.

Gama
Dec 23, 2014, 09:28 AM
just ajust your graphics settings so it dosent overheat your system.

FmT
Dec 23, 2014, 10:57 AM

Re-apply the thermal paste is a good idea too. But in fact, i7 processor makes too much heat because turbo boost will be on all the time, especially in lobby if you have maxed number of characaters. You can make the computer cooler simply by putting 99% in power setting to stop the turbo boost. On windows 7 : Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Change plan settings (current one) - Change advanced power settings - Processor power management - Maximum processor state - Set to 99%.

You can go down to 55% but loading time will be longer if you have a SSD. In game performance will be the same though. Depends on the room temperature 75-85% is good enough. 650m is powerfull enough to handle the game at max details.

vusun123
Dec 23, 2014, 01:08 PM
Is 2.7Ghz even enough to play PSO2 ? I don't need flashy graphics so might use 2/5 setting, 60FPS with 1280x720 res, does that sound good ?

Squal_FFVIII
Dec 23, 2014, 03:48 PM
Play PSO2 on a PC!

PC Gaming Master Race!

Mac's are just retardedly overpriced PC's.

Skyly
Dec 23, 2014, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got my Macbook Pro from one of my friend for a cheap price. It has nice specs and all: i7-3720QM and Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT650M ( non retina ). Currently have Windows installed via Bootcamp. I was afraid of seeing my Macbook overheat then shutdown while playing PSO2 so I came here to ask for advice.

Thanks in advance

Wait, have you tried to play it yet? Or you're assuming pso2 will overheat your macbook by playing?

suzaku0zero0
Dec 23, 2014, 06:56 PM
No problem on bootcamp, but latest Mac OS removed bootcamp,

So right now, no new method to do this

Skyly
Dec 23, 2014, 09:31 PM

OS X Mavericks.

schnee4
Dec 23, 2014, 09:50 PM
It has nice specs and all: i7-3720QM and Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce GT650M ( non retina )
take time for baby's medicine! :-D

FmT
Dec 23, 2014, 10:10 PM

Bootcamp still available on Moutain lion, Mavericks and Yosemite... both on Windows 7 and 8... 64bits only though

Is 2.7Ghz even enough to play PSO2 ? I don't need flashy graphics so might use 2/5 setting, 60FPS with 1280x720 res, does that sound good ?

I have the same macbook pro as you, aka mid 2012 i7 with 650m. 55% processor means 1.2Ghz and its playing fine since 650m is good integrated card for notebook. Playing at lv3 for constant 60fps but you can play at lv5 if you play solo. Don't forget to limit at 60fps in pso2 launcher options though.

vusun123
Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 AM
Pso2 is quite bad in a sense that it utilises all of your gpu resources, so make sure to limit your frame rate in the settings, especially if you are gaming it on a notebooks/laptop.
Thanks I will keep that in mind

just ajust your graphics settings so it dosent overheat your system.
I will

Re-apply the thermal paste is a good idea too. But in fact, i7 processor makes too much heat because turbo boost will be on all the time, especially in lobby if you have maxed number of characaters. You can make the computer cooler simply by putting 99% in power setting to stop the turbo boost. On windows 7 : Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Change plan settings (current one) - Change advanced power settings - Processor power management - Maximum processor state - Set to 99%.

You can go down to 55% but loading time will be longer if you have a SSD. In game performance will be the same though. Depends on the room temperature 75-85% is good enough. 650m is powerfull enough to handle the game at max details.
Ok thanks I will do some experiment with it

Play PSO2 on a PC!

PC Gaming Master Race!

Mac's are just retardedly overpriced PC's.
I don't want to start the retarded war between PC, Mac and Console. If you want one, start your own thread

Wait, have you tried to play it yet? Or you're assuming pso2 will overheat your macbook by playing?
I'm assuming, as idling in windows is a bit hot, don't know what will happen when playing PSO2

take time for baby's medicine! :-D
Ikr :D

Bootcamp still available on Moutain lion, Mavericks and Yosemite... both on Windows 7 and 8... 64bits only though

I have the same macbook pro as you, aka mid 2012 i7 with 650m. 55% processor means 1.2Ghz and its playing fine since 650m is good integrated card for notebook. Playing at lv3 for constant 60fps but you can play at lv5 if you play solo. Don't forget to limit at 60fps in pso2 launcher options though.
*shake hands* What's the temperature when you play PSO2 ? You limit the CPU down to 55% and it's even play fine ?

FmT
Dec 24, 2014, 01:07 AM
*shake hands* What's the temperature when you play PSO2 ? You limit the CPU down to 55% and it's even play fine ?

Exactly, you limit the power given to the processor resulting in using more core efficiently prolly. And because processors doesn't go higher than 85°, 650m goes around 65°-75° with 50-70% load charge, without making too much noise from fans. SMC doesn't go in throttling mode too.
You can use ThrottleStop (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html) to monitor both GPU and CPU, but I advice to use integrated windows power management to make the processor tuning.
Only thing you will notice at 55% cpu is if you have an SSD at loading screen (since obviously CPU cannot keep the flow of 500m/s).
Cpu at 75-99% and SSD will go fullspeed too and stop turbo boost as well. If you use a lot of process in fakescreen mode maybe you will want like that better. You can let the power management window open and apply the new cpu% and see the result while you play the game.

vusun123
Dec 24, 2014, 03:15 AM
Exactly, you limit the power given to the processor resulting in using more core efficiently prolly. And because processors doesn't go higher than 85°, 650m goes around 65°-75° with 50-70% load charge, without making too much noise from fans. SMC doesn't go in throttling mode too.
You can use ThrottleStop (http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.html) to monitor both GPU and CPU, but I advice to use integrated windows power management to make the processor tuning.
Only thing you will notice at 55% cpu is if you have an SSD at loading screen (since obviously CPU cannot keep the flow of 500m/s).
Cpu at 75-99% and SSD will go fullspeed too and stop turbo boost as well. If you use a lot of process in fakescreen mode maybe you will want like that better. You can let the power management window open and apply the new cpu% and see the result while you play the game.
Best reply. I kept it 80% and the result was fantastic. My setting is 4/5 in virtual fullscreen 1440x900 and the heat didn't even bug me. Yes I have SSD so I will take full advantage of it :D

Chik'Tikka
Dec 24, 2014, 05:07 AM
Another advantage to using CPU power limit is extended battery life on laptops when running processor extensive tasks+^_^+ Turbo Boost will chew battery if you let it+^_^+